DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Gobo projector for monogram

Smoke21 4:13 PM - 12 November, 2015
Hey guys, looking into buying a gobo projector for weddings and other events. I see chauvet and ADJ make them but wanting to know from people who have either brand gobo projectors experience with them.... Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.... Thank you
lvmez 4:21 PM - 12 November, 2015
The American DJ Ikon works pretty well and 60W. The price has gone as well.

www.bhphotovideo.com
Smoke21 4:44 PM - 12 November, 2015
Thanks @Ivmez
Joee 5:31 PM - 12 November, 2015
this one works well also if you haggle you can find it around $350

www.chauvetlighting.com
Taipanic 7:27 PM - 12 November, 2015
A lot of people are now using video projectors and designing the "Gobos" themselves. Added benefit is having animated projections, like this one:
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJFree 8:14 PM - 12 November, 2015
www.bhphotovideo.com
This will get the job done in almost every venue.....you wouldn't have to buy Gobos either...you can create your own in Powerpoint or Photoshop.
Frankie Glasses 8:29 PM - 12 November, 2015
Depends on what you want to do.

If you would be ordering metal gobos, at $75-$100 each, then a true gobo projector would do but if you are trying to make your own, using your home printer on transparent sheet, save yourself the hassle and don't do it. Doesn't look good at all.

It seems that the projector is the way to go. Just remember that you may need another laptop or something to source the image from.
DJFree 8:32 PM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:

It seems that the projector is the way to go. Just remember that you may need another laptop or something to source the image from.

No most projectors have an usb port......save the file to a cheap usb stick and you're good.
Joee 8:35 PM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
using your home printer on transparent sheet, save yourself the hassle and don't do it. Doesn't look good at all.

you have to take the gobo to staples or office max let them print it out on there lazer printer & there look great

i do it regularly with the ez gobo & pictures of the wedding / birthday person
Joee 8:36 PM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
-gobo- to staples or office max

-gobo design-
Smoke21 9:28 PM - 12 November, 2015
What gobo machine do you use @joee
DJ Wicked Mix 9:32 PM - 12 November, 2015
Joee uses an RCF-gobo machine of course. lol
Joee 9:34 PM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
What gobo machine do you use @joee

www.chauvetlighting.com

as long as the room isn't real bright it works well, I've used this also www.chauvetlighting.com i'm not sure how well the home made gobo will hold up in it tho …..i did put one in & it worked

i like the ez gobo just for simplicity / ease of use , pay someone $15 to make custom gobos with anything i want…..than take to staples & have them print it out for $1

Quote:
Joee uses an RCF-gobo machine of course. lol

you too?……..lol
DJ Wicked Mix 9:42 PM - 12 November, 2015
@Joee

I know I am new here, but I thought I read in another post that you got the RCF after you wanted an image upgrade from your EV-gobo machine.
Joee 10:19 PM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
@Joee

I know I am new here, but I thought I read in another post that you got the RCF after you wanted an image upgrade from your EV-gobo machine.

you are so new i don't even know what you're taking about…….lol
Frankie Glasses 11:17 PM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
using your home printer on transparent sheet, save yourself the hassle and don't do it. Doesn't look good at all.

you have to take the gobo to staples or office max let them print it out on there lazer printer & there look great

i do it regularly with the ez gobo & pictures of the wedding / birthday person

Ive used different 10W projectors and they are not bright enough. I have also taken the image to staples and they do not look good. The fonts are not clean (jagged) and the light bleeds through. The brighter projectors warp/melt the film so that cannot be used

Do you have any pics showing your experience?
Joee 11:49 PM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
Ive used different 10W projectors and they are not bright enough. I have also taken the image to staples and they do not look good. The fonts are not clean (jagged) and the light bleeds through. The brighter projectors warp/melt the film so that cannot be used

Do you have any pics showing your experience?

as long as it's dark you will be fine, here a gobo i had made with a picture & text….i cut a little out the face, don't want to put clients faces on the net…..lol

s1285.photobucket.com

it could be better (this pic could have been focused better) but it's not bad & i never get any complaints, the purchaser is always happy
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:03 AM - 13 November, 2015
Looking into purchasing Video projectors for gobos or vids.

Can you post what you have?

Thanks!
Joee 12:08 AM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
Looking into purchasing Video projectors for gobos or vids.

Can you post what you have?

Thanks!

those animation gobos are NICE!

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 12:11 AM - 13 November, 2015
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:13 AM - 13 November, 2015
Pole mount for projectors

projectorgram.com
lvmez 12:33 AM - 13 November, 2015
This site is a big help if your going to go the projector route:

projectorgram.com
lvmez 12:35 AM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
Pole mount for projectors

projectorgram.com

Sorry., didn't see it. I emailed this person a few times and seems very knowledgeable.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:37 AM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:

Sorry., didn't see it. I emailed this person a few times and seems very knowledgeable.

Do you think the projector they recommend are worth it?
lvmez 12:41 AM - 13 November, 2015
I think you can get away with: www.amazon.com
pdidy 3:19 AM - 13 November, 2015
My projector is a BenQ MX620ST Short-Throw HD 3D Wireless Projector
3000 ANSI lumen. www.benq.us

Short-Throw projectors are preferred by djs.

Im projecting on a 100" diagonal screen from 6.5 ft away and the quality is quite good.
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:42 PM - 13 November, 2015
Thanks Pdidy,

the price doesn't hurt bad either ;)
lvmez 2:53 PM - 13 November, 2015
I also own a BenQ short throw 3500 lumens but it's not recommended for projection monograms.
pdidy 4:27 PM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
I also own a BenQ short throw 3500 lumens but it's not recommended for projection monograms.

why not ?
lvmez 4:34 PM - 13 November, 2015
From projectorgram website:

"Where you are projecting from and the lighting are a couple key factors. For instance, you will want some distance from where you’re projecting to where the image is displayed. The distance will help the box wash away easier. Having some ambient light in a room will help too. Projecting in a pitch black room isn’t a good idea. However, we have done some projections outside with little ambient light. As long as the projector was a decent distance away from where it was projecting, the image looked very good and there wasn't a box."

Monograms using projectors look much better from a distance.
pdidy 4:39 PM - 13 November, 2015
have you tried your short throw and gotten bad results ?
DJWHIPP 9:27 AM - 18 November, 2015
I use the ikon adj it very nice and you can also make your own gobos..Have them printed at office depot for less then a 2 $ multiply copies..
Smoke21 8:52 PM - 18 November, 2015
Thanks for the feedback guys inreally appreciate it👍
Alex Pabalate 12:47 PM - 16 January, 2018
Well, you can check with projectoreviews.com as well.
MARK R 2:37 PM - 11 June, 2018
i am using the ikon ir and would like to purchase gobo for the first time but, sites are limiting your ability to view the product without charging. who knows of a good dealer that you can talk to instead of total email communications?
MARK R 2:39 PM - 11 June, 2018
is it ok to use film on an 80w Ikon IR projector?
pdidy 7:00 PM - 11 June, 2018
Quote:
is it ok to use film on an 80w Ikon IR projector?

Watchwww.youtube.com
MARK R 9:21 PM - 11 June, 2018
is it ok to use film for the ikon ir?
MARK R 9:24 PM - 11 June, 2018
ok cool but, i have the 80w ikon, thats the ? thanks
pdidy 5:15 AM - 12 June, 2018
Quote:
ok cool but, i have the 80w ikon, thats the ? thanks

if You take the time to actually watch the video your question will be answered.
Logisticalstyles 1:28 PM - 12 June, 2018
Using transparency film can be hit or miss depending on the printer. Also the paper is kinda pricey. I had to buy a whole pack of transparency film which was almost the same price as getting a glass or metal gobo made. The end result worked for my needs but I could tell the difference between the film and a glass or metal gobo.
MARK R 5:58 AM - 7 July, 2018
thanks for that info.
harrythepoorguy 12:42 PM - 9 April, 2019
I own a 3500 lumen projector and would like to put it to good use. I was planning on buying a gobo projector too but would like to save some money.

any suggestion?
DJ Reflex 1:42 AM - 10 April, 2019
If your projector has a USB input, just create your monograms on computer and play them directly from USB stick. Be sure to make several different versions though (designs, sizes, colors, etc) and pick which one works best in the room.

Also, I built a mounting bracket for mine that sits on a tall tripod top-hat. It mounts upside down for better floor angles. Works pretty slick.
DJ JulioYEG 5:05 AM - 10 April, 2019
i find the white looks the best on photoshop when making the monogram then projecting via projector.
harrythepoorguy 5:09 AM - 22 April, 2019
Eh, Can I go with a short throw projector Epson EX3220 www.outdoormoviehq.com as I know Monograms using projectors look much better from a distance?
Michaelskipper786 5:41 PM - 7 June, 2022
Projector for monogram is extremely essential. We have experts opinion specially on this topic. We have gathered list of projectors specially, on different topics on <a href="www.tekclue.com
Michaelskipper786 6:07 PM - 29 November, 2022
i have to buy a best projector for my business purpose please contact me here is my home page
apkmodsplay.com