Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

S9 Remapping

romie rangel 9:02 AM - 12 November, 2015
So, I got the S9, and I love it but there are a lot of things that are just much much better on the SP1 like the browser, pads and effects controls.

First of all effects, you can only activate 1 effect at a time on the S9, be it internal or serato. So I'd rather just use the internal effects on the mixer and control the serato effects on the SP1, but with the mixer connected you can't activate effects on a chain even through the SP1 or software because it's kind of on "S9 mode". It shows an USB icon written "insert enabled" on the effects panel on serato, but I haven't found a way to "un-insert"/disable it or map out the fx buttons on the mixer yet. (these should ABSOLUTELY be remappable).

The browsers and other midi mappings are on the same channel so we can't map them to do different things, is there a way around this or my only hope is to wait for a firmware update or something like that? This could give this mixer soooo much flexibility, specially now with Serato's new key sync, key shifting, etc ... The browser on the sp1 just seems to have been more well thought out, its 1 knob with 2 well lit load buttons, can't express how much I was hoping for something that simple and usefull on the S9. But being that the browser knobs are there they could be so usefull since we could do 3 mappings on it, like activate key sync on each channel, and key shift to both sides for example (this could also be done on the 6 serato fx buttons). And I'd love to use the back or load buttons to toggle pitch lock on and off on each channel too!!!

These are really my main concerns but overall Pioneer could make the S9+SP1 a beast of a combo if we could remap the s9 a little better. The pads on the SP1 are a world ahead even with no RGB, specially since there are knobs really close to them on the latter wich makes it impossible for any advanced finger drumming.

I'll also be posting this to the pioneer forums but if any1 could shed some light I'd really appreciate it =)
BBN 6:34 PM - 13 November, 2015
Today Pioneer said everything related to Midimapping and how the FX currently work is because of how Serato works at the moment.

So please change the way FX currently work and let the users decide if they want the Serato FX linked to the mixer. This was possible with my Rane Sixty-Two, so it should also be working on the Pioneer S9. Just give us the option in the Serato DJ setup panel.
USB insert FX on/off.

This takes me to the 2nd issue, let us midimap the full mixer.
I'd map the 6 FX buttons on the right side to some other SDJ fuctions, that I need quick acces to all the time.
Dj Owe 2:50 AM - 26 August, 2016
yeah thats seratos biggest problem!!
they dont let you control everything.

if they put a new product out it never works alongside another product so you cant have full control over everything.
they cock block almost everything wihch is sad IMO because i also like to use the sp1 but am only limited to using either sp1 or s9 controls.

just for easier work flow to be able to use the s9 for cue points and leave the sp1 on slicer or sp6 for way more manipulation on the decks but nope sorry serato wont allow it due to restrictions.

also i liove the rewind effect on the s9 but why cant i use my echo out on my serto fx. for full control and more options.

PLEASE SERATO REMOVE ALL LIMITATIONS AND UNLCOK IT SO WE CAN DO ALL THE POINTS BELOW

multiple midi mapping to the same commands eg
mapping cue 1 to one device or controller and mapping cue 1 to another device or controller without loading a profile up or remapping again and again.

i wish can map serato dj to my srt at my crib and also map it to a rane 62 at 1 venue and so i can map it to a djm900 in the club without having to load mapping profiles just map to every device and play. no loading no setting up re mapping etc.

Using a SP1 Alongside the S9 just like it works with the 62 and 57 to have full control over everything.
i notice when i change to cue points on my s9 it also changes to cue points on my sp1 and also i can not use the serato fx as well as the SP9 Effects. which is no goood because i love the rewind fx on sp9
BBN 7:59 PM - 28 August, 2016
A lot of things changes lately. Did you look up and try Serato hardware remapping?
Should work in the latest Serato DJ version.
Billy18bm 2:08 AM - 21 November, 2016
Browswer knobs shouldn't share a midi channel.
romie rangel 10:52 AM - 21 November, 2016
Quote:
Browswer knobs shouldn't share a midi channel.

+1000
Beau Mojarro 3:16 AM - 5 October, 2017
Just picked up the S9 and the sp1 realized I can't use them together the way I planned. Has anything changed? Workarounds? Is it possible to disable the insert fx?
Dj Owe 8:05 PM - 12 October, 2017
Yeah it pretty annoying how they cancel each other out hey. It felt like a step backwards with all this new tech that’s out yet the most simp things are limited.
938MyDJ 2:46 AM - 13 October, 2017
Remapping of OSA is an SDJ feature they promised. It's just not available yet.

I am getting an XP1, while waiting for the feature to come.
BBN 7:56 PM - 21 October, 2017
You have to activate "allow hardware remapping" in the setup panel.
Logisticalstyles 11:49 PM - 22 October, 2017
So, are the controls on the SP1 better than their counterparts on the S9? I'm asking because I'm currently considering getting a S3 and an SP1 or just a S9.
WildcardX 12:54 AM - 23 October, 2017
Quote:
So, are the controls on the SP1 better than their counterparts on the S9? I'm asking because I'm currently considering getting a S3 and an SP1 or just a S9.

I moved from that Z2/SL3/SP1 combo to an S9. While I am pleased with the S9, the pads on the SP1 are just thinner making it appear to be more responsive but in fact I find both to be on par. The way the S9 handles FX is different too, SP1 wins here in terms of a more independent approach to each FX bank. The Hardware FX though blows the software FX out of the water though and hte default can be changed in the Pioneer Utility. Where the S9 fails is in the mode switching, you can compromise and tailor a user mode to have some of the effects available with Samler but by default when you switch to that mode, both sides go into that mode. I have managed to work around this though. Using an SP1 won't work to make it available either, I almost kept my SP1 for this only to find out that when you switch the mode on the SP1 to Sampler for example, the mode switches on the S9. While these short comings are there, I can't say that the S9 has been a bad move. It's probably the best move i have made so far.
Andrei Matei 4:44 AM - 23 October, 2017
I love the S9 but hate SDJ. I had hoped to run the S9 as a midi device with SSL via an SL3 box. Redundant, I know, but its more streamlined than my Native Instruments X1mk2 controller with my DJM900 and SL3 currently.

Anyway, upon renting the S9, I discovered that a lot of the functions aren't midi-mappble and I couldn't get the pads to map to cue points vs. just cut up beats in "offline" mode. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I've midi mapped a LOT of things in my day...

Anyone done this ridiculousness I'm trying to accomplish?
BBN 7:36 PM - 25 October, 2017
There's no midi in the offline player!
You can map everything else in SDJ like you used to do it in Scratch Live and there's also "allow hardware remapping" in the setup panel in SDJ.
Scratch Live is dead ;)
Andrei Matei 3:37 AM - 26 October, 2017
I wrote the wrong words. What I meant to say was I couldn’t midi map everything appropriately in the S9s standalone mode, meaning when it’s plugged in and SDJ 1.8 or higher is NOT running.

Totally know SSL is dead, but I’m always trying to find new ways to keep the dream alive, even through really rediculous workarounds!
DJ SYZER 5:43 PM - 22 July, 2018
You guys gotta check out dj haveboard s9 mappings pretty dope shit. I'm trying to scrap my midi xml from the s9 to learn more about coding the file manually

djhaveboard.com
lindsaymar 12:39 AM - 5 October, 2018
My biggest surprise was that both browser sections on each side of the mixer can't be midi mapped independently. i.e. - The [Load] button last mapped will 'take-over' the mapping of the other [Load] button that you just mapped. (so all those browse section buttons are useless for mapping.)

That on top of the fact that when mapping cue points to the pads the cue point colours don't corollate with the pad cue point colours on the s9. They're all yellow : / Kinda defeats the main reason to have RGB pads.

I've been so deep in thought of how I'd map the s9 and I've just realized that the mapping functionality is so rudimentary and restrictive that it won't work for me.

If anyone know of a work around, please let me know.
lindsaymar 8:36 PM - 14 July, 2019
Quote:
I've been so deep in thought of how I'd map the s9 and I've just realized that the mapping functionality is so rudimentary and restrictive that it won't work for me.

Haha. I did exactly the same thing. I spent months dreaming about all the mapping possibilities I’d implement before buying the S9. Ive found a work around workflow that... works well enough but still disappointing.
The biggest WTF is definitely the 2 browser sections on the S9 not being properly mappable. Ugh. What a waste.

Does anyone know if there’s a correct way to midi map a single midi function to multiple buttons? (The last button mapped steals the mapping from the previous mapping...most the time)