Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

MacBook Pro and Serato VJ

Rebellution 9:26 PM - 11 November, 2015
I´ve a new MacBook Pro, 15` Retina, 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 Prozessor, 1600 MHz, Graphiccard Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB, and Serato VJ do not run very well. Which are the best settings for Vj to run well?
popnwave 1:43 AM - 12 November, 2015
Get MixEmergency is going to be what everyone tells you. It uses the Intel graphics much more efficiently.
Code:E 7:56 AM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
Get MixEmergency is going to be what everyone tells you. It uses the Intel graphics much more efficiently.

This.
Code:E 7:56 AM - 12 November, 2015
Or buy a mac with a dedicated video card.
skinnyguy 5:56 PM - 12 November, 2015
or both!
Code:E 12:14 AM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
or both!

Both would be best.
DJ Tecniq 10:59 PM - 13 November, 2015
But don't all the 15's come with a dedicated video card? Maybe he just needs to tweak his settings and ram.
Code:E 1:09 AM - 14 November, 2015
Quote:
But don't all the 15's come with a dedicated video card?

Nope. The 2014 and 2015's both have an option to get the 15 without the dedicated video card. Which makes it not much better than a Mac Book Air (someones going split hairs and correct me there, either way it's still not even in the same ball park as one with a dedicated video card).
popnwave 6:06 PM - 14 November, 2015
You have to get the TOP of the line one now to get the card. Everything else is just the Intel chipset.
Rebellution 2:28 PM - 21 November, 2015
Thanx for the Answers. I tried to dj at home, before Djing in the club, and After 2 Hours the serato vj crashed and stopped! Are there no Settings to change in my MacBook To run the serato vj better? And if I buy MixEmergency, it'll run and don't stop?
Code:E 5:49 PM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
Are there no Settings to change in my MacBook To run the serato vj better?

Not really.

Quote:
And if I buy MixEmergency, it'll run and don't stop?

Pretty much. I stil;l get ME to crash once in blue moon. But it doesn't affect the audio and restarts in 3-5 seconds.
DJ Tecniq 10:36 PM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
But don't all the 15's come with a dedicated video card?

Nope. The 2014 and 2015's both have an option to get the 15 without the dedicated video card. Which makes it not much better than a Mac Book Air (someones going split hairs and correct me there, either way it's still not even in the same ball park as one with a dedicated video card).
Didn't know that. I got my Mid 2014 from Best Buy and it came with a dedicated video card. Runs awesome
Rebellution 6:45 PM - 22 November, 2015
Does anyone have my MacBook Pro, 15` Retina, 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 Prozessor, 1600 MHz, Graphiccard Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB too with the MixEmergency Software and can tell me some things about it??
Code:E 11:26 PM - 22 November, 2015
Quote:
Does anyone have my MacBook Pro, 15` Retina, 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 Prozessor, 1600 MHz, Graphiccard Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB too with the MixEmergency Software and can tell me some things about it??

What do you want to know?
Rebellution 6:14 PM - 25 November, 2015
Is it working without problems? My Serato VJ is doing a good job in between days and I´m not sure if I should by my the MixEmergency...200$ is a lot of money...are there so many possibilities to do a much better performance than the Serato VJ?
DJ Tecniq 8:04 PM - 25 November, 2015
Quote:
Is it working without problems? My Serato VJ is doing a good job in between days and I´m not sure if I should by my the MixEmergency...200$ is a lot of money...are there so many possibilities to do a much better performance than the Serato VJ?
Why don't you download the demo and find out? It is far more advanced than SV. More transition fx, recording plus a ton of other stuff. Try it? www.inklen.com
DJ JaySmoke 1:01 AM - 28 November, 2015
I downloaded the demo of ME but for some stupid reason, only deck A plays smoothly. Deck B keeps freezing. What could be wrong pls. Am using DJ SX2 with macbook pro 2012
Code:E 6:15 AM - 28 November, 2015
Where did you get your videos from?
DJ JaySmoke 8:45 AM - 28 November, 2015
YouTube mostly?? Code:E. Funny thing is, I have used it before but was an older version of serato. I am on the 1.8 and I dunno if that's a reason.
DJ JaySmoke 8:45 AM - 28 November, 2015
YouTube mostly.
Code:E 8:47 AM - 28 November, 2015
There's your problem. Youtube is a VERY unacceptable source. Use Hi quality video's from a legal source and you wont have any problems.
Code:E 8:47 AM - 28 November, 2015
DJ JaySmoke 8:53 AM - 28 November, 2015
Wow that's very unfortunate. My genre is very unknown and am sure they won't hv such videos in their directory. Is there not a way to convert these ones to suit serato video format???
Code:E 9:06 AM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
Wow that's very unfortunate. My genre is very unknown and am sure they won't hv such videos in their directory. Is there not a way to convert these ones to suit serato video format???

Nope. Shit in Shit out. Converting wont do you any good.

The Legal sites will take requests. And you might be surprised as to what they already have.
DJ JaySmoke 8:37 PM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
Nope. Shit in Shit out. Converting wont do you any good.

The Legal sites will take requests. And you might be surprised as to what they already have.

Hummm looks like a dead end for me then. I don't see why I hv to pay to get videos when it's free on YouTube! I once saw somewhere that you could use handbrake to covert the videos to a format that serato will work with. Need to find it
Code:E 8:47 PM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
I don't see why I hv to pay to get videos when it's free on YouTube!

I don't see why you should be a DJ then.
DJ JaySmoke 9:42 PM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You don't see why? You can justify websites that charge you to download converted versions of free videos??? Really??
popnwave 1:25 AM - 29 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You don't see why? You can justify websites that charge you to download converted versions of free videos??? Really??

Ok without busting your balls anymore, just dabble with it, but it will be inconsistent unless your sources get better. MP3s from crappy sources don't cause nearly the headaches as a poorly keyframed video these days.

The other thing to consider is if your genre is truly hard to get from existing pools, do those videos at least appear in 720 or higher res online from the artist or label?
DJ JaySmoke 1:41 PM - 29 November, 2015
Quote:
Ok without busting your balls anymore, just dabble with it, but it will be inconsistent unless your sources get better. MP3s from crappy sources don't cause nearly the headaches as a poorly keyframed video these days.

The other thing to consider is if your genre is truly hard to get from existing pools, do those videos at least appear in 720 or higher res online from the artist or label?

All the artists in my genre upload their videos as hd onto youtube which is what I download. I dunno if that answers your question
popnwave 5:03 PM - 29 November, 2015
Ok, do what you have gotta do. The problem is most stuff straight off Youtube is not up to snuff video wise (i.e. it's not keyframed properly) nor is the audio high enough (usually 128k-256k AAC) for me to consider useful without sounding like crap.

So to do video right you need to either 1) learn Final Cut Pro / Sony Vegas / Adobe Premiere or 2) get a video pool to provide you with the material.

Either way neither is free, so you have to pick the route you want to go.
skinnyguy 6:47 PM - 29 November, 2015
What genre do you play?
Code:E 7:23 PM - 29 November, 2015
Quote:
What genre do you play?

I'm very interested in this too.
djnak 8:02 PM - 29 November, 2015
DO YOU NOT HAVE EARS??? nevermind how the video plays, looks , missing key frames, improper encodes...have you ever listened to a quality rip of a song??? You Tube is not it... If you were playing You Tube quality audio in my venue I would Turn you off and send you home...
DJ JaySmoke 9:50 PM - 29 November, 2015
Quote:
DO YOU NOT HAVE EARS??? nevermind how the video plays, looks , missing key frames, improper encodes...have you ever listened to a quality rip of a song??? You Tube is not it... If you were playing You Tube quality audio in my venue I would Turn you off and send you home...

Thankfully, my audience isn't pros like you. I serve the wider audience and so long as the sound is audible, they will watch, dance and get the message. This isn't about winning awards or approval but getting the work out there.
Quote:
What genre do you play?

Christian Hiphop/Rhythm and Praise
Quote:
Ok, do what you have gotta do. The problem is most stuff straight off Youtube is not up to snuff video wise (i.e. it's not keyframed properly) nor is the audio high enough (usually 128k-256k AAC) for me to consider useful without sounding like crap.

So to do video right you need to either 1) learn Final Cut Pro / Sony Vegas / Adobe Premiere or 2) get a video pool to provide you with the material.

Either way neither is free, so you have to pick the route you want to go.

I work with Premiere.
DJ Tecniq 10:35 PM - 29 November, 2015
I have unfortunately had to use YouTube for a certain video no video pool carried. Offliberty.com will do the job in full HD. Have never had a problem. If I can't find it anywhere else that's my last resort.
DJ JaySmoke 11:27 PM - 29 November, 2015
Ok so this is just freaking crazy! So I plugged in my mixdeck pro and I just recorded 15mins of flawless video mix. No chopping, no lagging, nothing...so could the problem be with the DJ-SX2? I also guess this will prove that it's not about the videos either. Am baffled right now....and oh, I dunno but I can now map my mixdeck to serato so I am using the wet faders to crossfade. Something I couldn't do before.

Some explanations would be great.
skinnyguy 8:38 AM - 30 November, 2015
maybe the sx2 is more demanding on system resources.

i'm having weird probs with my mc4000, but no probs on a 62 or 6000mk2. wish i could figure ish out. software can be weird.
Culprit 5:55 AM - 9 December, 2015
The debate with youtube is anything your downloading and using for a live performance depending on your region would be illegal since your not paying royalties to anyone to publicly play their music. Yes, your going to say your promoting their music, but that's not the case really.

That's just the general issue, going with a legit record pool who pays for the licensing and gets deals worked out makes it completely legal and gives you a venue license (depending on your venue).

No, most likely, you wont get fined or popped for playing "Christian Hiphop/Rhythm and Praise". This is not to disrespect the genre at all.

The reason youtube is not a legitimate source for most videos or music is because there are no standards like with a modern video pool. Most legit record pools have standards, which is minimum 3500k birate and 320k aac audio output.

Your asking and were giving you legit answers as to why your having problems. You heard the term you get what you pay for correct? Some things are awesome that are free.. for instance mysql, or apache, php..

some things are not so, like ripping different sourced youtube videos thinking they are all tagged and encoded the same and will give you no issues which is clearly not the case.

Your best bet is to open a Serato ticket for help and submit all your system and controller information.

Also, to the og's.. we are in a new era of technology where yes everything seems free and the internet has the answers to everything.. we got the advantage of Quality Control.. where carrying crates actually meant learning how to setup amplified audio systems and setting up turntables was actually passed down from homies or uncles/aunts instead of having to go to school for it like most people these days. Just a different world we gatta accept so don't get to upset with the new generation of dj's.. it is what it is you know. They cal it progression but i question it daily.
DJ SKaDRE 4:47 AM - 15 December, 2015
I understand that not all DJ/VDJ are fortunate enough to pay for their resources. Some of us have to resort to using resources that are accessible. However, if you do have the ability to invest in your craft then there should be no discussion at all. I don't think it is distasteful to use
youtube videos. I don't recommend it. But, if that is all you have to work with then why not at least give it all you got. To each his own. Who gives a shit what people think. Pigeons flock in groups but Eagles Soar alone my friend.