DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Ableton Live 9.5 - Link

S4racen 2:40 PM - 2 November, 2015
So who reckons that the Ableton Link maybe a key to the Bridge 2???

Cheers
D
Code:E 12:09 AM - 3 November, 2015
Intresting. Maybe but I'm betting no.
Code:E 12:09 AM - 3 November, 2015
At least I'm betting serato didnt plan on it. Ableton may have knowning serato could do there end now with it. But i bet the ball is still in serato court.
maarawoe 3:58 PM - 20 November, 2015
Quote:
But i bet the ball is still in serato court.

.....and will stay there for next few years...... :-)
Satsun 3:43 AM - 1 January, 2016
Just saw this:

www.ableton.com

Scroll almost to the bottom of the page where it says "Build Link into your app."

There's a picture of someone working on a laptop. Note the label on the bottom of the laptop's bezel: "HI BRIDGE..."

Maybe nothing. But hey, who knows...
Mutis Mayfield 10:15 AM - 3 January, 2016
It is more than possible to make it happen but the question is... What we want?
We have it clear?

The problem with the Bridge was more to "no man's land" issue than getting support...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 4:13 AM - 14 September, 2016
FYI guys, Ableton Link is in the new Serato DJ 1.9.3 Public Beta if you want to try it out.

serato.com

Please leave feedback in the forum area (not here)
SG SOUNDS 12:32 PM - 14 September, 2016
ok this is a joke right? because my d**k is starting to get hard...need more info..is the bridge returning?
djdannyd 2:15 PM - 14 September, 2016
Quote:
Just saw this:

www.ableton.com

Scroll almost to the bottom of the page where it says "Build Link into your app."

There's a picture of someone working on a laptop. Note the label on the bottom of the laptop's bezel: "HI BRIDGE..."

Maybe nothing. But hey, who knows...

Bridge is the girl running the laptop (Bridget)...
AKIEM 6:32 PM - 14 September, 2016
Did they name it "Link" so it would be impossible to google info about it?
J. Hand 6:47 PM - 14 September, 2016
www.ableton.com

This should help shed some light....
AKIEM 7:10 PM - 14 September, 2016
Quote:
www.ableton.com

This should help shed some light....

yeah thats fine, Im talking about specific functions in unknown apps

If it was called 'aLink2000' you could search specific
Logisticalstyles 12:04 AM - 15 September, 2016
This made my day. I've already been using Link to sync up the Launchpad app on my iPhone, iPad and with Ableton on my Mac. Adding Serato DJ is going to be so dope.
J. Hand 2:31 AM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:

Hmmm...sorry, but I'm not quite following. What do you mean by "unknown apps"?
Robbie O 4:20 AM - 15 September, 2016
Sorry to be a newbie on the topic, but I missed the "bridge" and don't get how/what value ableton adds to the 2 tables and a mic thing. Is this more of a making practice fun thing or an actual live gig performance improver?

I got the vibe the bridge was good for making mix tapes flawless by correcting in ableton
AKIEM 4:40 AM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

apps you dont know exist but are searching for.

For example, if you were looking for a VST with Link capabilities. If you search for 'vst link' you will not find it. "link" is far too common of a word. In contrast, if you were looking for a VST with MIDI capabilities and you search for 'vst midi' you are likely to find it.

So I am wondering why the chose such a common term as a name.
Dax 7:13 AM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For example, if you were looking for a VST with Link capabilities. If you search for 'vst link' you will not find it. "link" is far too common of a word. In contrast, if you were looking for a VST with MIDI capabilities and you search for 'vst midi' you are likely to find it.

this might help

www.ableton.com
J. Hand 7:46 AM - 15 September, 2016
Bear in mind this has just been unveiled, so there's not a lot of desktop software supporting the protocol yet - that would explain the lack of search results.

I'd add "Ableton" to your searches, i.e. "Serato Ableton Link" for example.

With all of that said, I think I'll be needing a small mixer to route all of my iOS devices and hardware to my monitors and PA speakers - my Apogee Duet and Mackie SRM650s don't provide enough I/O for the potential madness 😉
AKIEM 5:39 PM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

this might help

www.ableton.com

sure.

That page does not provide all specs for each app. Suppose you are looking for apps which work with CV (control voltage). There is only one app on that page which mentions it. I know for a fact there is at least one other app on that page with that capability. And I have no idea which other apps have that capability.

Add to that link is open to any developer and will likely result in hundreds or thousands of applications (like midi)...

I guess if you dont understand how a unique brand/word/name aids in search engine quarry, explaining wont really help.
jprime 6:04 PM - 15 September, 2016
I think I see what you're saying....but let me clarify. The link API provides a bunch of functionality, but not all apps are using all of it and you'd like to know specifically which portions of the Link API each app is utilizing?
AKIEM 6:35 PM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
I think I see what you're saying....but let me clarify. The link API provides a bunch of functionality, but not all apps are using all of it and you'd like to know specifically which portions of the Link API each app is utilizing?

I am speaking about the name "link" in general and how it does not lend itself to precise search engine quarry. Im not talking about a specific search I have done, just what I or others will likely do.

The reason brands and product have unique names is to ensure they are distinguishable from others. If you name your peanut butter brand 'Peanut Butter' there might be some issues. "Link" is the equivalent.

Roland (kinda) came up with the name 'MIDI' No one has to search for "Roland MIDI" because 'midi' is a unique term, 'link' is not.

Secondly, I assume Ableton did that purposefully for some reason.
jprime 6:42 PM - 15 September, 2016
You mean this isn't a Nintendo product?!
AKIEM 7:03 PM - 15 September, 2016
Yeah.

Introducing the new Ford Car.

Whats the model?

I just said, Car

Look at my new laptop, its a Laptop.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:48 AM - 16 September, 2016
I have this same problem at my day job. I work as a programmer in the healthcare/insurance industry. My boss will ask me to contact some insurance payer to begin developing a new transaction and the name will be some uber generic name that was thought up by some white guy in a suit in 95. Like sure boss let me just google "health tech insurance " im sure the # will be easy to find (because those 3 words will surley be unique to that company)