Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

How Stable is "Serato DJ 1.9 with Pulse Locker"

DjSyndic8 12:38 AM - 2 November, 2015
OK we know that stability is very important when playing live, and part of that is switching our WiFi off to help with stability, what is Serato going to implement into SDJ 1.9 to make sure the software is stable with Wifi turned on for streaming music during your live sets...........

I looked on Pulse locker www.pulselocker.com and

Basic subscription is 9.95 a month live streaming only

Professional Subscription is 19.95 a month with offline music ----> this one would be best but a bit pricey you can download music offline and play them
Serato, Support
Jamie W 1:02 AM - 2 November, 2015
Hey DjSyndic8,

Quote:
OK we know that stability is very important when playing live, and part of that is switching our WiFi off to help with stability, what is Serato going to implement into SDJ 1.9 to make sure the software is stable with Wifi turned on for streaming music during your live sets...........

Switching WIFI off can help those computers on the edge of being up to spec.
It doesn't have much effect for a computer thats specifications meet Serato DJ requirements.

Further more, we offer a 2 week trial for Pulselocker, therefore you can make the call yourself before you decide to purchase the feature.

When it comes to subscriptions we will not be supporting a basic account user.
If you wish to use Pulselocker with Serato DJ you will need a professional account subscription.

Thanks,
Jamie
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:07 AM - 2 November, 2015
If you subscribe and decide to end it a year later, do you lose the files?
Serato, Support
Jamie W 1:08 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:

Yes you do. The files will only playback through Serato DJ.
DjSyndic8 1:12 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yes you do. The files will only playback through Serato DJ.

Thanks for The useful Info Jamie W are you able to tell us what file format the pulse locker files will be in?
Serato, Support
Jamie W 1:26 AM - 2 November, 2015
They are an encrypted file type you wont be able to access outside of Serato DJ.
They playback at 320kbs unless the record label releases them at a lower bitrate.
DjSyndic8 1:32 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
They are an encrypted file type you wont be able to access outside of Serato DJ.
They playback at 320kbs unless the record label releases them at a lower bitrate.

thanks Jamie W, for me personally 19.95 a month is a bit pricey, I source my music elsewhere for a small fee and I get to keep the music forever, but the big question is what sets Pulse locker apart from all the other streaming services is the million dollar question, and just because the founders are DJ's is just not enough for me to splash out on this.... thanks bro :)
Serato, Support
Jamie W 1:36 AM - 2 November, 2015
Fair enough, the service is not for everyone.

I suppose its how you look at it.
For me, I spend 30/40 dollars a week from the likes of Juno and Beatport.

Now I can cut that back to 20 a month and still have the ability to get all the same releases.
My plan is to keep everything as streaming files (saving hard drive space) and just download the playlists I create for the events I have to play each week.

I don't see the need to physically own every single tune, but hey thats just me :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:37 AM - 2 November, 2015
The others are personal use only illegal to dj with in public. Pulselocker is built for djs and has the licenses tobe legal to dj with.
DjSyndic8 1:42 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Fair enough, the service is not for everyone.

I suppose its how you look at it.
For me, I spend 30/40 dollars a week from the likes of Juno and Beatport.

Now I can cut that back to 20 a month and still have the ability to get all the same releases.
My plan is to keep everything as streaming files (saving hard drive space) and just download the playlists I create for the events I have to play each week.

I don't see the need to physically own every single tune, but hey thats just me :)

carrying less music I could do with :)
I guess the other thing as well is finding a stable Wifi connection at your gig, cause Mobile hotspot on 4g network is not always reliable and you have to look at data usage too songs use up a lot of data......
Serato, Support
Jamie W 1:47 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
I guess the other thing as well is finding a stable Wifi connection at your gig, cause Mobile hotspot on 4g network is not always reliable and you have to look at data usage too songs use up a lot of data......

Yeah totally man, I get that.
I think a good option here is to search a track, mark it for offline.
Once its downloaded to Serato DJ then load it to deck, WIFI doesn't matter at this stage :)
DjSyndic8 1:54 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Yeah totally man, I get that.
I think a good option here is to search a track, mark it for offline.
Once its downloaded to Serato DJ then load it to deck, WIFI doesn't matter at this stage :)

true dat thanks bro :)
swift807 3:32 AM - 2 November, 2015
Hi , anyone know if u can get on pulse locker w ur phone and make playlist then sync it to ur computer later ? This can be a great time saver to discover and organize ur music on the go and just simply sync it to Serato when u get home .
Serato, Support
Jamie W 7:35 PM - 2 November, 2015
Hey Swift807,

You maybe able to access your Pulselocker account from a mobile web browser.
An official phone app is something Pulselocker are planning to work on, but thats all the information I have on that at this stage.

Jamie
Djkom 10:40 PM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Hey Swift807,

An official phone app is something Pulselocker are planning to work on, but thats all the information I have on that at this stage.

Jamie

I guess you don't have any clue regarding the possibility to buy some tracks (with a special price) if we want it to be used anywhere ? This "dual" service would be quite interesting for djs like me who loves to "own our favorite tracks" (buy them) and have the possibility to play "the other" tracks on demand (stream them)
Serato, Support
Jamie W 10:44 PM - 2 November, 2015
Hey DJkom,

There is no ability to "buy" tracks.
Its a streaming service, so the idea is to pay a monthly subscription.
You can however make tracks offline so you don't need to be connected to the internet to play them.

Thanks,
Jamie
Dj Wunder 10:28 AM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Swift807,

Jamie

I guess you don't have any clue regarding the possibility to buy some tracks (with a special price) if we want it to be used anywhere ? This "dual" service would be quite interesting for djs like me who loves to "own our favorite tracks" (buy them) and have the possibility to play "the other" tracks on demand (stream them)

This is exactly the way I hoped it would work out of the box. Listening to music on the go, building a playlist from the phone that immediately becomes tonight's Serato crate, and any new tracks that go bananas can be purchased to become a full time weapon in the library, or edited in a DAW. But instead we face the distinct possibility of losing a ton of files if the subscription is cancelled or the company shuts down, and the reality of still being tied to beatport/iTunes etc... No thanks.
Dj Wunder 10:30 AM - 3 November, 2015
Oh, and am I going to need a subscription for each of my laptops?
Dj Wunder 10:33 AM - 3 November, 2015
What is standing in the way of pulse locker adding a buy button, where with one click your downloaded DRM mp3 streamer is replaced with a lossless file, with all tags and metadata copied over?
JayB1200 1:19 PM - 3 November, 2015
Does Pulselocker have an option to display only "Clean" or "Radio" Edits?
maarawoe 2:09 PM - 3 November, 2015
One thing is still not clear for me - you all are mentioning that you will have your tracks for streaming and only some of them will have available for offline...
But what about grids and cues? What if I have all the tracks "online" - I will need to beatgrid and cue them over and over again when I decide to get them back for the offline playback....
Sounds annoying....
DjSyndic8 2:30 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
What if I have all the tracks "online" - I will need to beatgrid and cue them over and over again when I decide to get them back for the offline playback....
Sounds annoying....

I think if they are going to buddy up with Serato then all there tracks will be grided and have cue points I could be wrong and its a good question
serkan 3:06 PM - 3 November, 2015
One thing I notice when using the offline player and surfing in Safari for tagging information, new tracks, etc. is that I get some audio drop outs, especially when scrolling in Safari or if bigger elements are loaded (pictures, videos).

This makes me wonder how good the performance will be when using Pulselocker in a live situation. I'm not a wedding or party DJ but I can see how live streaming can be very useful for them. It would be quite a deal breaker if any searching/scrolling/download off the Pulselocker library would cause audio dropouts.
Futuretek 3:26 PM - 3 November, 2015
Definitely an interesting feature that I really want to play with, I wonder how far back does their catalog go and with what genres?
Dj Wunder 9:10 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
What if I have all the tracks "online" - I will need to beatgrid and cue them over and over again when I decide to get them back for the offline playback....
Sounds annoying....

I think if they are going to buddy up with Serato then all there tracks will be grided and have cue points I could be wrong and its a good question

From what I understand the Serato data will be stored locally in the Serato folder, so cues loops and grids will be ready to go each time you stream the same song
Serato, Support
Jamie W 10:50 PM - 3 November, 2015
Hey Guys,

I will try answer all your questions,

Quote:
Oh, and am I going to need a subscription for each of my laptops?

You can use one account for both computers, however you will only be able to playback audio on one computer at a time.

Quote:
What is standing in the way of pulse locker adding a buy button, where with one click your downloaded DRM mp3 streamer is replaced with a lossless file, with all tags and metadata copied over?

I don't have information on this, but its something I recommend you ask them directly :)

Quote:
Sounds annoying....

Streaming Pulselocker tracks get analyzed when you drag them to a Serato DJ virtual deck.
Beat Grids, Cue Points, Flips - all meta data for these streaming files gets saved locally on your computer so the next time you load the track this information shows up instantly.
The only thing you cannot do with streaming tracks is batch analyze them in the offline player.

Quote:
Does Pulselocker have an option to display only "Clean" or "Radio" Edits?

I don't have any information on this either, I recommend you contact Pulselocker directly for more information on this :)

Quote:
One thing I notice when using the offline player and surfing in Safari for tagging information, new tracks, etc. is that I get some audio drop outs, especially when scrolling in Safari or if bigger elements are loaded (pictures, videos).

This makes me wonder how good the performance will be when using Pulselocker in a live situation. I'm not a wedding or party DJ but I can see how live streaming can be very useful for them. It would be quite a deal breaker if any searching/scrolling/download off the Pulselocker library would cause audio dropouts.

You shouldn't have audio drop outs when searching Pulselocker libraries from within Serato DJ. What I recommend, (when Serato DJ 1.9 is available) trial the Pulselocker service for yourself and report back to us any issues you may encounter.

Thanks
Jamie
l3hur4y 3:55 PM - 26 March, 2016
can anyone help i have just downloaded dj 1.9. pulse locker won't work just says download interpreted every time i try stream a track. can go on the site an use it fine. internet connection in fine. running a mac wi 8gb memory so should be plenty fast enough. never had a problem before with serato dj an all other features work fine. haven't plugged it in to any hardwhere since upgrade as my djm900 sera to mixer in in club i work in
any help
thanks
pokermagic 11:43 PM - 11 May, 2017
I understand that all the hot cues, beatgrid are saved in the serato file, but what if i switch to another laptop, can i just copy that information to the new laptop so the next time i open pulselocker, i don't lose all that information?

thanks in advance.