DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How many people can the Mackie Thump 15's support

MDakilla 12:22 AM - 2 November, 2015
How many people can the Mackie Thump 15's take? I am about to purchase two and want to know how loud they are.
DJMark 12:27 AM - 2 November, 2015
I think probably one person could stand on each.

Maybe two skinny people if you flipped them on their sides.

Hope this helps.
desmorider 12:39 AM - 2 November, 2015
at least 1000 peeps. They Waaaaaang. Thump15= #1
dj res-q 12:47 AM - 2 November, 2015
depends on the venue, i own a pair & indoors they're ok......
MDakilla 12:53 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:

Let's say inside a School Gymnasium with 150 people.
DJ GaFFle 1:05 AM - 2 November, 2015
The Thumps sound full but tap out early. They are not a loud and not a quality clear sound. You'll realize this when you put it directly in comparison to a quality 15" top. It's a beginner DJ speaker.
Just1Fixxx 1:07 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I'd say you'd be looking at closer to half that number.

They are not a bad sounding speaker, but they will begin to run out of gas the closer you get towards the 100 ppl mark, especially if you are playing bass heavy tracks.
Mr.Jace 1:47 AM - 2 November, 2015
60 to 80 people depends on the event.
dj res-q 9:01 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
They are not a bad sounding speaker, but they will begin to run out of gas the closer you get towards the 100 ppl mark, especially if you are playing bass heavy tracks.

they do tend to run off of gas,i only use mine now with my basic package for customers on a tight budget or having a small gathering.Other wise use my EV ETX
dj_soo 9:25 AM - 2 November, 2015
under 100
Logisticalstyles 1:57 PM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You'll just be background music in a situation like that. I've seen someone use them in a small gym with a couple of hundred people in attendance for a back to school event. The speakers were constantly in the red. I could tell he was trying to get more sound out the speakers than they could deliver. I have a pair of these as well, but I usually only use them with a sub and it's for small gigs with 150 people or less. Anything bigger than that and I have to rent.
DJ Tracktion 5:17 PM - 2 November, 2015
I've used these and hated them for the reasons everyone mentioned. My EV ELX15p's are head and shoulders above them. Spend a little more and get something better or you will end up buying again very soon.

At least the ELX/EKX/PRX/DBR/DSR level of speaker can handle most average private event gigs (<150 ppl) and when you pair them with a sub you can get a little more out of them for bigger gigs. I've done 200+ ppl with my elx 12's over kw118 subs and it was fine. I've even done 180ppl with just my elx 15's...they handled it but it's not ideal.
MDakilla 10:49 PM - 2 November, 2015
Thanks for the answers. I also have two 10" Active Speakers ranked at 200 watts RMS each (118 db Max SPL). If I used all four, do you think that could support 150 people?
Mr.Jace 11:40 PM - 2 November, 2015
No. Using different tops at the same time is not a good idea. You will face cancellation. Your best bet is to look at better speakers that were mentioned by others in this forum. And adding a sub will really help with your sound. Subs is very important, i cant stress that enough.
Mr.Jace 11:43 PM - 2 November, 2015
phasing , not cancellation. My correction. Sorry ^
MDakilla 3:17 AM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:

I see. If I were to match them up so that the woofer's beat in sync throughout a set, would that keep them from phasing? I don't have the fund's for a reputable subwoofer right now, so I want to see if I can prevent pushing the Mackie's too hard and redistribute the power to four speakers instead of overpushing two.
dj_soo 4:26 AM - 3 November, 2015
not going to happen.

You're using entry level speakers that aren't really designed to support more than a medium sized house party. Just rent some higher quality gear and save up until you can afford it.
DJ GaFFle 4:27 AM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I see. If I were to match them up so that the woofer's beat in sync throughout a set, would that keep them from phasing? I don't have the fund's for a reputable subwoofer right now, so I want to see if I can prevent pushing the Mackie's too hard and redistribute the power to four speakers instead of overpushing two.

Short answer = no.

They have 90 degree dispersion so 2 to 4 ill-placed speakers will have sound overlap at certain frequencies. It creates "phasing" issues, that ultimately result in hot and null spots of sound all over the dance floor... thus the perceived "cancellation".

The best description I can offer is: Have you ever played the same track on two turntables and placed the cross-fader in the middle hearing them both play? If the turntables are off by a hair, the tracks will sound even at some point and thump hard (hot) but as they get out of sync, you'll hear the sound getting airy and during some portions, the bass will seem nullified (null), etc. This is analogous to having speaker dispersion overlapping and experiencing comb-filtering / cancellations.

I'd recommend a pair of Yamaha DXR15's as opposed to four Mackie Thump 15's. It's probably the same price. If you continue to DJ and get gigs, you'll realize your mistake in investing in four Thumps when you could have had a pair of quality 15's with a 7-year warranty to match. Even if you don't go Yamaha, look into the EV EKX's, some Yorkville offerings, RCF or JBL PRX 15's. Get the Thumps down the road as a fall-back / backup speaker.
Mr.Jace 5:00 AM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Short answer = no.

They have 90 degree dispersion so 2 to 4 ill-placed speakers will have sound overlap at certain frequencies. It creates "phasing" issues, that ultimately result in hot and null spots of sound all over the dance floor... thus the perceived "cancellation".

The best description I can offer is: Have you ever played the same track on two turntables and placed the cross-fader in the middle hearing them both play? If the turntables are off by a hair, the tracks will sound even at some point and thump hard (hot) but as they get out of sync, you'll hear the sound getting airy and during some portions, the bass will seem nullified (null), etc. This is analogous to having speaker dispersion overlapping and experiencing comb-filtering / cancellations.

I'd recommend a pair of Yamaha DXR15's as opposed to four Mackie Thump 15's. It's probably the same price. If you continue to DJ and get gigs, you'll realize your mistake in investing in four Thumps when you could have had a pair of quality 15's with a 7-year warranty to match. Even if you don't go Yamaha, look into the EV EKX's, some Yorkville offerings, RCF or JBL PRX 15's. Get the Thumps down the road as a fall-back / backup speaker.

You beat me to the punch. +1
deezlee 5:02 AM - 3 November, 2015
... I agree with the above advice ...
That said, if I had a choice of 2 underpowered speakers or 4, I'd go with 4 even if they didn't match. You might get some cancellation but you'll probly get more volume.
Mr.Jace 5:15 AM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
... I agree with the above advice ...
That said, if I had a choice of 2 underpowered speakers or 4, I'd go with 4 even if they didn't match. You might get some cancellation but you'll probly get more volume.

Problem with this is, we don't know what two way 10" he is using. Using two different pairs of speakers, the volume and sensitivity is different. What's going to happen is, in the beginning of the setup, he will balance the volume on all cabs, later in the party the crowd noise will overwhelm him to turn it up. One of his pairs of speakers will hit the limit before the other pair causing the other pair to out shine the other and it will sound like crap at that point. The pair clipping first will blow out on him soon enough. Then he will report back days later wishing he would have took our advices
desmorider 5:18 AM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Thanks for the answers. I also have two 10" Active Speakers ranked at 200 watts RMS each (118 db Max SPL). If I used all four, do you think that could support 150 people?

Do you own an electronic crossover? If so, try floor mounting the thump15's and cross them over sending them 100hz and lower. Run your 10in active tops 100hz and up. If you don't have a crossover you can find a used rane ac22 or ac23 for under $100.
desmorider 5:21 AM - 3 November, 2015
Or rent a sub from GC for 40-50 bucks and use the thumps as your mids and highs.
DJ GaFFle 1:29 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Or rent a sub from GC for 40-50 bucks and use the thumps as your mids and highs.

Better hope that sub has a high-pass output or he'll be using the old EQ'n-out-the-bass technique on the Thump's EQ controls to prevent bass overlap.
Logisticalstyles 1:42 PM - 3 November, 2015
^^ That's how I use my Thumps. I have a 1801SRM sub and it has a high pass output. I go from my outboard mixer to the sub and then out to the tops. This is the only way I can get any decent volume from them. The few times I've used the Thumps by themselves I was disappointed.

I might keep the 1801SRM but I'll be getting rid of the Thumps within the next few months.
DJ GaFFle 4:57 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
^^ That's how I use my Thumps. I have a 1801SRM sub and it has a high pass output. I go from my outboard mixer to the sub and then out to the tops. This is the only way I can get any decent volume from them. The few times I've used the Thumps by themselves I was disappointed.

I might keep the 1801SRM but I'll be getting rid of the Thumps within the next few months.

I got rid of mine but only because I had just gotten some RCF312A's (for Karaoke and small gigs). If you don't have backups already, consider keeping them. I love the transport of the Thumps. They just felt so balanced in both hands and light. A pleasure to load and unload every time. They also never failed me.
Logisticalstyles 7:19 PM - 3 November, 2015
Yeah, they are super light weight for their size. I guess you are right about them being good back ups or even for use as a ceremony sound system. My son just got interested in DJing so maybe these will be passed down to him.
Taipanic 9:30 PM - 3 November, 2015
Pretty much what everyone else has said. I would add either rent proper gear for the gig or have some one else do it. Almost any pair of speakers on sticks without subs will sound hollow in a Gymnasium. Newbies today are happy to put on a crappy show with crappy equipment and crappy music and don't care that it hurts all the people who have invested serious time & money in this profession. It's OK to start small but you have to know your limits. You should be doing house parties with a pair of Mackies, not gyms. Renting proper gear or having someone experienced doing this gig could be a good learning experience - even if you end up making no money off of it. Cats don't want to invest anything of theirs these days - time/money/training - instant gratification is where it's at!
MDakilla 2:47 AM - 5 November, 2015
What Subwoofer would you recommend? I want to get an 18" and I am looking at the Mackie Thump 18S at the moment.
DJ Boom Bap 3:23 AM - 5 November, 2015
No offense, but you're just making your pile of shit...... A bigger pile of shit. Buy better cabs with your $ and rent a sub/crossover.
DaRealBigdaddy 6:53 AM - 9 February, 2016
I run 4 Thump 15" and 2 1200 Thump Subs and it fill a 3000sqft room with 150 200 people and sounds awesome. 2 speakers did give it the right sound but 4 Look out. for the price, you cannot beat it.
ABETTERDJ 5:44 AM - 23 February, 2019
This is a really old thread but it shows up early under certain google searches so I felt a need to post.

I have been a very successful DJ for 20 years and I have owned/used 3 different sets of EAWs, Yorkvilles, JBLs JRX 125s, Peaveys, EVs, QSCs, Mackies, and had as many as 32 speakers at one time.

Addressing the OP's question of how many people can Mackie Thump 15's support totally depends on your skills at EQ'ing music and whether you are coming out of a headphone jack or using a digital audio converter. 5 years ago the 1st gig I did with a brand new pair (broken in 20 hours before gigging with them) of Thump 12's was a military ball with almost 1200 guests in a room twice the size of a high school gym. I used a pro Yamaha mixer and a Yamaha DAC. My sound check before the guests arrived was amazing. It was so loud and clear that I got a double echo. After everyone arrived and started dancing they were more than adequate. A few months ago a did a large company picnic with about 1000 guest in a park and was able to fill the park with wonderfully clear music for 5 hours.

As far as them crapping out early? I guess if they were not properly EQ'd they might?
I had the opportunity to do a head to head with some EV LX's, QSC K12s, and Mackie Thump 12s. At identical settings the EVs clipped out 1st, then the K12's, and the Mackies still had quite a bit left before they clipped out. Granted the QSC's sounded the best, then the EV's, but the Mackies sounded close enough and certainly put out a lot more low end at less than half the cost.

For weddings or events up to about 200 people the 1000 watt or 1300 watt Thumps are more than adequate to entertain the guests. They would never know that you are using "entry level" speakers if you have EQ'd them well and are not coming out of your headphone jack.
Mr.Dj-Jace 2:13 PM - 23 February, 2019
You did a gig of 1200 peeps with only a pair of Mackie Thump 12's? Really? Tell us about it on how you had it all set-up? What type of music?
desmorider 2:35 PM - 23 February, 2019
Quote:
This is a really old thread but it shows up early under certain google searches so I felt a need to post.

I have been a very successful DJ for 20 years and I have owned/used 3 different sets of EAWs, Yorkvilles, JBLs JRX 125s, Peaveys, EVs, QSCs, Mackies, and had as many as 32 speakers at one time.

Addressing the OP's question of how many people can Mackie Thump 15's support totally depends on your skills at EQ'ing music and whether you are coming out of a headphone jack or using a digital audio converter. 5 years ago the 1st gig I did with a brand new pair (broken in 20 hours before gigging with them) of Thump 12's was a military ball with almost 1200 guests in a room twice the size of a high school gym. I used a pro Yamaha mixer and a Yamaha DAC. My sound check before the guests arrived was amazing. It was so loud and clear that I got a double echo. After everyone arrived and started dancing they were more than adequate. A few months ago a did a large company picnic with about 1000 guest in a park and was able to fill the park with wonderfully clear music for 5 hours.

As far as them crapping out early? I guess if they were not properly EQ'd they might?
I had the opportunity to do a head to head with some EV LX's, QSC K12s, and Mackie Thump 12s. At identical settings the EVs clipped out 1st, then the K12's, and the Mackies still had quite a bit left before they clipped out. Granted the QSC's sounded the best, then the EV's, but the Mackies sounded close enough and certainly put out a lot more low end at less than half the cost.

For weddings or events up to about 200 people the 1000 watt or 1300 watt Thumps are more than adequate to entertain the guests. They would never know that you are using "entry level" speakers if you have EQ'd them well and are not coming out of your headphone jack.

Cool story Bro.....
pdidy 3:17 AM - 24 February, 2019
Quote:

i.makeagif.com
Al Poulin 5:52 PM - 25 February, 2019
Quote:

Thanks, I needed a good laugh - today being a Monday... I actually tested/reviewed the newer "1300 watt" Thump 12As recently and while they represent a great value in terms of output for $$$ for the new DJ, their lack of mid clarity, lack of functionning limiter and lack of customer service are all reasons I would spend a little more and get something from a reputable company. 1200 people and a room twice the size of a gym with a pair of Thump 12s? Jeebus that's hillarious. I guess it's possible if this was an auction and you were just mic'ing the auctioneer, but anything more... I don't thinks so. The little things started audibly breaking up in my little 10'X10' studio lol...
ABETTERDJ 3:46 AM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:

Thanks, I needed a good laugh - today being a Monday... I actually tested/reviewed the newer "1300 watt" Thump 12As recently and while they represent a great value in terms of output for $$$ for the new DJ, their lack of mid clarity, lack of functionning limiter and lack of customer service are all reasons I would spend a little more and get something from a reputable company. 1200 people and a room twice the size of a gym with a pair of Thump 12s? Jeebus that's hillarious. I guess it's possible if this was an auction and you were just mic'ing the auctioneer, but anything more... I don't thinks so. The little things started audibly breaking up in my little 10'X10' studio lol...

My guess is that you probably didn't EQ them very well. I've done hundreds of gigs with the previous Thump 12s and never had them audibly break up. If you are ever in central Florida come buy and I'll teach you how to EQ these :D
DJ Reflex 3:50 AM - 26 February, 2019
I saw two crummy DJ's try to do a small wedding with 2 thumps and they sucked! Bottomed out and hit limiter with every song that had any bass in it. Those things got so hot, they started to stink like burnt circuit boards. You could smell them across the dance floor!

No way to rock 1200 peeps with 2 thumps.
ABETTERDJ 3:52 AM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
You did a gig of 1200 peeps with only a pair of Mackie Thump 12's? Really? Tell us about it on how you had it all set-up? What type of music?

It was mostly hip hop/dance music with a little country mixed in. I run my laptop through a Yamaha DAC into an 8 channel Yamaha mixer. My software has an EQ for the main out and individual 5 band EQs for each player and I don't remember what settings I used way back then.

I did a wedding yesterday at a barn venue and the ceremony was about 100 yards away. The music was clear and loud even at that distance without clipping out on me. I rented a pair of EV ZLX for a similar situation in California a few years ago and they clipped out way before I could get decent volume to the ceremony.
ABETTERDJ 3:56 AM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
I saw two crummy DJ's try to do a small wedding with 2 thumps and they sucked! Bottomed out and hit limiter with every song that had any bass in it. Those things got so hot, they started to stink like burnt circuit boards. You could smell them across the dance floor!

No way to rock 1200 peeps with 2 thumps.

Sounds like they had no clue how to EQ them. I can run mine all day outside in Florida without any of those problems. Most DJs are clueless when it comes to properly shaping sound.
RR437T 4:02 AM - 26 February, 2019
Just curios as to what dac you use? Also, are you connecting them with usb, or another type of digital out?
ABETTERDJ 4:19 AM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Just curios as to what dac you use? Also, are you connecting them with usb, or another type of digital out?

I use a Yamaha DAC that was originally intended for studio recording. I come out of the USB. The Dac has 3 channels for guitar, mic, and the USB and lots of various outputs. It has a master volume control that I keep usually between 12 and 1 o'clock. I run a single mono line out and I keep the gain on the mixer channel at about 1 o'clock also, with the volume for that channel at anywhere from 12 to 3 depending on how much I want to blast. Usually the main volume out is more than adequate at 12 o'colck. I've never not had enough juice for the venue I was in large or small and I have always been able to EQ out excellent sound. The guy that taught me the most about shaping sound used to run tour sound for Journey.
ABETTERDJ 5:29 AM - 26 February, 2019
For those that didn't know there are 3 families of Thumps. The TH series which is only 400 watts, the regular Thumps which are 1000 watts, and the new A series which is 1300 watts. I've had the regular series for about 5 years and I am testing a Thump 15A for the next week before I write a review. After the burn in period I cranked it up all the way and it didn't clip or distort but I was not running through my normal system. I'm excited to hear what it sounds like when properly EQ'd and run through my regular system.
Comrade Tulayev 8:38 AM - 26 February, 2019
I think you're full of shit
ABETTERDJ 9:29 AM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:

That's OK, your opinion has no bearing whatsoever on my performances or the performance of my gear :D
Al Poulin 3:34 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

The guy that taught me the most about shaping sound used to run tour sound for Journey.

I'm surprised Journey has been using Meyer sound systems in many of their shows. Apparently 12 line arrays and a whole bunch of Meyer dual 18'' subs were required on some occasions. Idiots. That sound guy probably didn't share his secret that they actually didn't need that huge Meyer system... A couple pairs of Mackie Thumps apparently with a Yamaha DAC and magic EQ could've done the job. Wow, just wow... This is entertaining to say the least. Did you feel the Thump 12s provided a full coverage of all frequencies for those 1200 in attendance? How does eq and a DAC increase SPL capability of a speaker like this, I would love to know.

Al
Mr.Dj-Jace 4:36 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
For those that didn't know there are 3 families of Thumps. The TH series which is only 400 watts, the regular Thumps which are 1000 watts, and the new A series which is 1300 watts. I've had the regular series for about 5 years and I am testing a Thump 15A for the next week before I write a review. After the burn in period I cranked it up all the way and it didn't clip or distort but I was not running through my normal system. I'm excited to hear what it sounds like when properly EQ'd and run through my regular system.

Tell us how you eq your system? Give details? Got any videos you can post of this 1200 person gig?
pdidy 4:40 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

That's OK, your opinion has no bearing whatsoever on my performances or the performance of my gear :D

Can you prove you're not a fake troll for Mackie? Do you have a youtube channel or website?
ABETTERDJ 4:46 PM - 26 February, 2019
Good morning Al,
You sound like a pretty smart guy when it comes to sound so you probably already know something that took me a few years to get when I started DJing. When entertaining at a large venue you don't have to rock the dust off the ceiling from corner to corner.

The gig that everyone is having such a hard time comprehending was a military ball. My temporary avatar is about 1/3 of the room. There were 2 parts that size with a big dance floor in the middle. There was a ceremony, dinner music, then an hour of dancing at the end. The Mackies were more than good enough for the speeches to be heard by everyone in the room and for ambient music for dinner. When it came time to crank it up for dancing all of the music was focused on the dance floor. The most people dancing at any one time was probably only 200-250.

I used to think that for a big event you had to blast out the whole room so I would bring a whole van full of EAW speakers powered by QSC amps. When it was brought to my attention that people who don't want to dance would prefer to talk without having to shout it really changed my thinking on how to disperse my music. Since then when I do weddings I face my speakers toward the tables for announcements and dinner music and switch them to the dance floor once it's time to get the dance music going. I've been very successful and always get compliments as well as thank yous from the people that did not want to dance for not blasting them out like most DJs do.

Question for you? I'm shopping speakers right now and I'm looking into the 2000 watt Alto 315's. The reviews have been great, what is your opinion of them?
ABETTERDJ 4:48 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can you prove you're not a fake troll for Mackie? Do you have a youtube channel or website?

www.abetterdj.net
ABETTERDJ 4:59 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Tell us how you eq your system? Give details? Got any videos you can post of this 1200 person gig?

Unfortunately we were not hired for video of that particular event so we only did DJ and photography. My temporary avatar is about 1/3 of the room the ball was in.

As far as the EQing it varies from one event to another because I shape the music for the venue. As I stated earlier this gig was a few years ago so I don't remember the settings I used. I'm not a set it and go DJ anyway, I change the settings as needed based on the song that is playing. For large events where I'm going to be really cranking tend to keep the highs a little softer so somebody walking by doesn't blow their ear out and I usually bump the mids a little more.
Al Poulin 5:14 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Good morning Al,
You sound like a pretty smart guy when it comes to sound so you probably already know something that took me a few years to get when I started DJing. When entertaining at a large venue you don't have to rock the dust off the ceiling from corner to corner.

The gig that everyone is having such a hard time comprehending was a military ball. My temporary avatar is about 1/3 of the room. There were 2 parts that size with a big dance floor in the middle. There was a ceremony, dinner music, then an hour of dancing at the end. The Mackies were more than good enough for the speeches to be heard by everyone in the room and for ambient music for dinner. When it came time to crank it up for dancing all of the music was focused on the dance floor. The most people dancing at any one time was probably only 200-250.

I used to think that for a big event you had to blast out the whole room so I would bring a whole van full of EAW speakers powered by QSC amps. When it was brought to my attention that people who don't want to dance would prefer to talk without having to shout it really changed my thinking on how to disperse my music. Since then when I do weddings I face my speakers toward the tables for announcements and dinner music and switch them to the dance floor once it's time to get the dance music going. I've been very successful and always get compliments as well as thank yous from the people that did not want to dance for not blasting them out like most DJs do.

Question for you? I'm shopping speakers right now and I'm looking into the 2000 watt Alto 315's. The reviews have been great, what is your opinion of them?

Well, at least this explanation makes a little more sense :) For speeches / background music, I don't don't some active 12s were up to the task. For 250 people dancing, they may have been loud enough if deeper frequencies were reduced to increase headroom, but I don't see a pair of 12s providing quality "full range" reproduction for so many folks.

As for the TS315, specs look good and it's nice to see what looks to be decent transducers in there. A 15'' with 3'' voice coil is surprising in such a "value" cabinet. My issue with Alto in general, as is with Mackie is absolutely terrible service after the sale and/or simply non existent customer support. My local music store sells Mackie, but warns customers that they are on their own should they have issues and need to send the products back for repair. I've heard/read too many horror stories about both of these companies to prevent me from recommending them at all. I'm sure the 315s sound decent. It's that they aren't a good long-term investment IMO.

Personally, I would opt for a pair of Yamaha DBR15s (with 7 year warranty) if I was looking for a lower priced set of reliable - and well performing actives that can handle a small to medium wedding without requiring subs. Even Cerwin Vegas's CVE12s or CVE15s would be a better choice that anything Mackie or Alto now that they are distributed by Yorkville - which will mean better support. RCF 312As can also be had for a decent price as can FBT's lite series - both of which sound great BUT don't look all that sexy for wedding type events.

Al
Al Poulin 5:30 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:

Just FYI, the clip lights probably won't light up. They didn't seem to work in my Thump 12As anyway. I could hear that they were at their limit as they started sounding bad/breaking up, but limit lights did not activate. My dealer told me THIS is why many users end up blowing them...

Al
ABETTERDJ 5:43 PM - 26 February, 2019
Thanks for your input Al. I have checked into both the CV's and the Yamahas (I love Yamaha) but I'm looking into getting a lot more wattage/SPL than I have now and I want to go with a set that has the nice flat grille for aesthetics. I'm going to go to Guitar Center and do a head to head with the Alto 315's and the QSC K12.2's and see if the QSC's are worth the huge amount of extra $. I can get some Alto's for only $257 so if I go with them I'll buy 3 for the price of 1 K12.2 and also get a Square Trade warranty which is 5 days fix or replace.

You are absolutely correct on EQing down the lower frequencies to create more headroom and that is exactly what I did for both the ball and the park gig I did a few months ago. When I set up I set the volume on the DAC first (it has a clip light for outbound signal, then the speakers, then the digital EQ. For most gigs I don't have to back down the lows.

I haven't done clubs in over 10 years so I no longer need to try and thump the earrings out of the ladies' ears but I still like to have some great low end in my speakers.
pdidy 5:44 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.abetterdj.net

Do you also use low-quality cameras as a wedding photographer?
ABETTERDJ 5:52 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Just FYI, the clip lights probably won't light up. They didn't seem to work in my Thump 12As anyway. I could hear that they were at their limit as they started sounding bad/breaking up, but limit lights did not activate. My dealer told me THIS is why many users end up blowing them...

Al

Yeah I don't really rely on them and rely more on the outbound signal being shaped correctly. The Thump 15A I'm testing sounds good but it isn't really much louder than the 12's I already had so I'm pretty sure I'm going a different route. I'm buried withe photo editing right now so later in the week I'll get a chance to hook it up to my regular system and see what's what.
Al Poulin 5:56 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Thanks for your input Al. I have checked into both the CV's and the Yamahas (I love Yamaha) but I'm looking into getting a lot more wattage/SPL than I have now and I want to go with a set that has the nice flat grille for aesthetics. I'm going to go to Guitar Center and do a head to head with the Alto 315's and the QSC K12.2's and see if the QSC's are worth the huge amount of extra $. I can get some Alto's for only $257 so if I go with them I'll buy 3 for the price of 1 K12.2 and also get a Square Trade warranty which is 5 days fix or replace.

You are absolutely correct on EQing down the lower frequencies to create more headroom and that is exactly what I did for both the ball and the park gig I did a few months ago. When I set up I set the volume on the DAC first (it has a clip light for outbound signal, then the speakers, then the digital EQ. For most gigs I don't have to back down the lows.

I haven't done clubs in over 10 years so I no longer need to try and thump the earrings out of the ladies' ears but I still like to have some great low end in my speakers.

What are you using now exactly? Are you generally always running tops full range or do you use subs at all? These days, wattage numbers are often irrelevant as most are exagerated, made up - or achieved with internal limiters disabled AND at a set frequency and for a millesecond, so not indicative of real world use... Also, internal limiting usually prevents the full available wattage from reaching the transducers. Take the original QSC Ks : there were indeed dual 500 watt RMS amplifiers inside (cheaper than designing 2 seperate amplifiers), but the compression driver was actually a Celestion 60 watt unit if I recall correctly. It's normal to have a lower wattage number on compression drivers as they are SO MUCH MORE efficient that woofers which makes them need much less power to produce a given SPL, but when your marketing team goes to town publishing advertisements boasting about these 1000 watt speakers, I have a problem as this is really misleading.

My tops with the biggest compression driver (the 2.5'' voice coil / 1.4'' exit driver unit in my KX Audio 12s) on have 50 watts RMS applied to them for example... All this to say, watts mean very little these days as manufacturers seem to be racing to print the biggest numbers simply to impress those that don't know any better...

Al
Al Poulin 5:58 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Al

Yeah I don't really rely on them and rely more on the outbound signal being shaped correctly. The Thump 15A I'm testing sounds good but it isn't really much louder than the 12's I already had so I'm pretty sure I'm going a different route. I'm buried withe photo editing right now so later in the week I'll get a chance to hook it up to my regular system and see what's what.

They shouldn't really get noticeably louder, just provide more response in the lower frequencies (deeper low frequency extension)

Al
deezlee 6:04 PM - 26 February, 2019
Honest can't tell who's trolling on this site sometimes.
I learned from the sound guy from journey...
You aren't knowing my skills, I EQ every song!
I approve of both of those things :)
ABETTERDJ 6:38 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

What are you using now exactly? Are you generally always running tops full range or do you use subs at all? These days, wattage numbers are often irrelevant as most are exagerated, made up - or achieved with internal limiters disabled AND at a set frequency and for a millesecond, so not indicative of real world use... Also, internal limiting usually prevents the full available wattage from reaching the transducers. Take the original QSC Ks : there were indeed dual 500 watt RMS amplifiers inside (cheaper than designing 2 seperate amplifiers), but the compression driver was actually a Celestion 60 watt unit if I recall correctly. It's normal to have a lower wattage number on compression drivers as they are SO MUCH MORE efficient that woofers which makes them need much less power to produce a given SPL, but when your marketing team goes to town publishing advertisements boasting about these 1000 watt speakers, I have a problem as this is really misleading.

My tops with the biggest compression driver (the 2.5'' voice coil / 1.4'' exit driver unit in my KX Audio 12s) on have 50 watts RMS applied to them for example... All this to say, watts mean very little these days as manufacturers seem to be racing to print the biggest numbers simply to impress those that don't know any better...

Al

Yeah I hate that the mfrs misrep the power too and most of them do it. I just got off the phone with a guy at Guitar Center... He likes the Alto 315's and says they sound really close to the EVs but I'm thinking I might bite the bullet and go for a pair of K12's. One of the bands that I photograph often uses them and they sound amazing. Right now I have been running with tops at full range and I just sold my Yorkville sub. I'm wanting to get some more juice and enough low end that I don't need a sub. Again I'm doing mostly weddings so I don't need to rattle the rafters with low end. Thanks for all your input, have a great day! :D
Comrade Tulayev 7:13 PM - 26 February, 2019
So when you say you did music for 1200 people, what you really meant was 200 people.
DJ Reflex 1:02 AM - 28 February, 2019
Quote:
Again I'm doing mostly weddings so I don't need to rattle the rafters with low end.

Uhhh... I don't know about your area, but here you do need to rattle some rafters! Subwoofers are brought to every gig no matter how small. Simple equation... Bass = Dancing
ABETTERDJ 2:52 AM - 28 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Again I'm doing mostly weddings so I don't need to rattle the rafters with low end.

Uhhh... I don't know about your area, but here you do need to rattle some rafters! Subwoofers are brought to every gig no matter how small. Simple equation... Bass = Dancing

I have no problem filling the dance floor without blasting out the people that are trying to talk. I focus most of the loudest thumping on the dance floor and I have some MC techniques that work quite well. 1 gets everybody that can walk on the dance floor and another gets every single couple on the dance floor.
DJ Guayo 2:07 PM - 28 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.abetterdj.net

Do you also use low-quality cameras as a wedding photographer?
ABETTERDJ 7:08 PM - 1 March, 2019
So Al Poulin, I'm going to hear some speakers this weeekend. I'm leaning towards getting a pair of QSC K12's but is there anything else in the $1500 a pair range I should be looking at? I want at least 1500 watts.
Mr.Dj-Jace 8:34 PM - 1 March, 2019
Quote:

I'm confused, I thought you said you've owned and used different speakers? Don't you have 32 sets of speakers already? What's wrong with the mackie Thump 12? I thought you were making a killing out there with your gigs doing 1200 person gig with them thumps. You also said the mackies had more juice than the qsc and ev, hear is your quote.
577er 8:46 PM - 1 March, 2019
“totally depends on your skills at EQ'ing music and whether you are coming out of a headphone jack or using a digital audio converter”

www.quickmeme.com
SELECT 9:15 PM - 1 March, 2019
Watts do not equal loudness! Its just how much juice is needed to power the components of the speaker.

The SPL (sound pressure level) is how loud a speaker gets.

Mackie Thump 15a (1300 watts) 127 db SPL (PEAK aka max, probably more like 125 db)
QSC k12.2 (2000 watts) 127 db SPL (PEAK 132 db)
RCF NX 45a (1400 watts) 133 db SPL

The RCF is less watts, but WAY louder.
Mr.Dj-Jace 9:55 PM - 1 March, 2019
Quote:
“totally depends on your skills at EQ'ing music and whether you are coming out of a headphone jack or using a digital audio converter”

www.quickmeme.com

Hahaha!!! Nice one. I hate to see this guy downgrade from a Mackie thump 12 to some stinking RCF or Qsc speakers. (((Sarcasm with a smile)))*
DJ Unique 2:24 AM - 2 March, 2019
LOL....
Enough laughs for 1200 peeps
ABETTERDJ 6:19 AM - 2 March, 2019
Quote:
Watts do not equal loudness! Its just how much juice is needed to power the components of the speaker.

The SPL (sound pressure level) is how loud a speaker gets.

Mackie Thump 15a (1300 watts) 127 db SPL (PEAK aka max, probably more like 125 db)
QSC k12.2 (2000 watts) 127 db SPL (PEAK 132 db)
RCF NX 45a (1400 watts) 133 db SPL

The RCF is less watts, but WAY louder.

I'm checking out the EV ETX-15P at 135 db SPL too!
ABETTERDJ 6:28 AM - 2 March, 2019
Quote:

I'm confused, I thought you said you've owned and used different speakers? Don't you have 32 sets of speakers already? What's wrong with the mackie Thump 12? I thought you were making a killing out there with your gigs doing 1200 person gig with them thumps. You also said the mackies had more juice than the qsc and ev, hear is your quote.

I have had as many as exactly 32 sets at one time LOL, good guess. I got rid of all my passive speakers, amps, racks, and dual CD players and am strictly powered with laptops, hard drives, and DACs. I have some huge gigs coming up that I will need to have multiple room setups so I'm adding some more speakers. As far as "making a killing" I'll just say I'm far from being a single operator and leave it at that LOL
ABETTERDJ 8:56 PM - 2 March, 2019
I just got back from Guitar Center (great place to buy speakers). I couldn't make up my mind between the QSC K12.2's and the JBL PRX815W's so I got 2 sets of each. GC threw in bags, 25' high end cables, and stands for all of them plus a BIG discount! They have a great setup to test speakers there, they run them through a concert grade mixer. For those that care, the EV EXT's clipped out well before either the QSC or JBL. The JBL's have a higher SPL but they start sounding a bit muddy at real high volume where the QSC's just kept getting louder but stayed clear. Can't wait to gig with them.
dj_soo 9:37 PM - 2 March, 2019
the newer EV speakers have a pre-clip warning which doesn't actually affect the audio. They limit pretty aggressively so it tends to pop up earlier than other speakers, but it's not going to affect performance.
ABETTERDJ 11:13 PM - 2 March, 2019
Quote:
the newer EV speakers have a pre-clip warning which doesn't actually affect the audio. They limit pretty aggressively so it tends to pop up earlier than other speakers, but it's not going to affect performance.

Yeah I just liked the performance of the QSC's and JBL's better :D
RR437T 4:40 AM - 3 March, 2019
Quote:
So Al Poulin, I'm going to hear some speakers this weeekend. I'm leaning towards getting a pair of QSC K12's but is there anything else in the $1500 a pair range I should be looking at? I want at least 1500 watts.

You won't get anything close to 1500 watts. A clean 1500 watts would cost far more than $1500.

It really doesn't make sense to focus on watts. Bandwidth of your system is what you need to look at. Its real world performance.
ABETTERDJ 4:50 AM - 3 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

You won't get anything close to 1500 watts. A clean 1500 watts would cost far more than $1500.

It really doesn't make sense to focus on watts. Bandwidth of your system is what you need to look at. Its real world performance.

Yeah watts is just part of the puzzle. I ended up getting 2 sets of QSC K12.2's and the JBL PRX815W's both of which have some decent bandwidth and sound great and will be perfect for the large multi room gigs I have coming up.
RR437T 3:45 PM - 3 March, 2019
"Yeah watts is just part of the puzzle."

What I meant to imply is that aside from it being a variable, there's no set standard for measurement. If you take 5 amps all rated at 100 watts from different manufacturers and tested them the same way, all 5 would put out a different amount of power.
ABETTERDJ 4:15 PM - 3 March, 2019
Quote:

What I meant to imply is that aside from it being a variable, there's no set standard for measurement. If you take 5 amps all rated at 100 watts from different manufacturers and tested them the same way, all 5 would put out a different amount of power.

Exactly, learned that a very long time ago. Most manufacturers pull their rating/power numbers out of the air. You have to give speakers and amps the hands on ear test, play with the settings, listen to them at full power for solid block of time, then choose your personal preference. I have always been a QSC fan and used their amps exclusively when I ran passive speakers. QSC and vintage EAW's were awesome together and Yorkvilles were great with them too.

I spent 2 1/2 hours testing speakers before I made my decision yesterday. My next gig is in 2 weeks so my neighbors are gonna be hating on me while I break all these new speakers in LOL.
Mr.Dj-Jace 5:02 PM - 3 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly, learned that a very long time ago. Most manufacturers pull their rating/power numbers out of the air. You have to give speakers and amps the hands on ear test, play with the settings, listen to them at full power for solid block of time, then choose your personal preference. I have always been a QSC fan and used their amps exclusively when I ran passive speakers. QSC and vintage EAW's were awesome together and Yorkvilles were great with them too.

I spent 2 1/2 hours testing speakers before I made my decision yesterday. My next gig is in 2 weeks so my neighbors are gonna be hating on me while I break all these new speakers in LOL.

Have you tried and tested different mode settings on your new qsc k12.2? If so, which is your personal favorite?
ABETTERDJ 2:28 AM - 4 March, 2019
Quote:

Have you tried and tested different mode settings on your new qsc k12.2? If so, which is your personal favorite?

I haven't even hooked them up yet. I was just photographing a concert where they had 6 of them as the mains along with 2 double 18 subs and the sound was excellent. They also had 5 as stage monitors. Since I am up against the stage when I shoot I get mostly monitor sound with a bit of the subs from the side so I get a real good idea if the sound guys know how to set up speakers or not. They were running the mains at roughly 40% and it was plenty loud enough for a crowd of about 500. They said I may like the live sound setting with a bit of bottom EQ'd in better than the music setting. I'll be burning them in tomorrow and then testing them and playing with different settings all week and will update.
Al Poulin 6:00 PM - 4 March, 2019
The K12.2 should be great, reliable speakers and are backed by a solid warranty. QSC's been around for a long time and have always produced quality products.

I personally am not a big fan of the sound of the compression driver on the K series at higher volumes however (to be honest), but they do certainly get loud and perform very well for 12s, doing well even without subs for smaller gigs.

I actually heard them last summer at a smaller wedding where the DJ was using a pair of 12.2s. Very good performers overall, but I still find there's something in the upper mids that hurts the ears at higher levels and on certain songs. The Yamahas and RCFs I've used are smoother overall at high volumes, but I find them a little lacking in the mids, so I guess no speaker is perfect :) A little eq can make most quality speakers sound great to most people. Except cheaper spekers like Mackie Thumps 12As. No matter what I did Eq wise, they simply did not sound right to me - especially pertaining to mid clarity, but fo 389$... what can you do.

Al
ABETTERDJ 6:55 PM - 4 March, 2019
Thanks for your response Al. I spoke at great length with the sound guys that were running a bunch of K12.2s as mains and monitors about settings at the concert I photographed yesterday. My guess is that the DJ you heard probably had them set to live instead of dance. The live setting emphasizes the mids more to feature guitar and vocals where the dance setting softens the mids and accentuates the lows a bit more. The live setting does have a littler more punch to the sound which is why some DJs prefer it. I'll be burning them in tonight and then playing with settings all week. I have no doubt I'll have them mastered before my 1st gig with them. I'll let you know what I come up with for ultimate sound out of them.

I listened to the 12A's and 15A's while I was at GC on Saturday and played around with the EQ on the concert board they were mixing through. I agree with you, I couldn't make them sound great and IMO the older ones actually sound a lot better.

The JBL's I picked up sound great too but they don't quite hold together as well as the QSC's when really cranked, plus they are quite a bit heavier. After I burn them in and test them with my own gear I may end up taking them back and getting more K12's.
ABETTERDJ 6:44 PM - 5 March, 2019
Hey Al, I started my break in period with the K12.2's last night. It was immediately obvious that the DJ you heard at the wedding did not adjust the on-board EQ or at best didn't do it correctly. The O-B EQ is really quite good and I was able to easily cut the harshness of the upper mids. I'm running them on the dance setting at -1.5 on the highs, -2.5 on the upper mids, and -1 on the lower mids and they sound flawless even maxed out. I haven't run these through my system yet, I'm running through an Amazon Echo as a feed and only using the on-board EQ so far. The lows on these are excellent. Running at about 50% and I can hear the music very clearly out at the street 30 feet from my house with all the doors and windows closed. Right this minute I am running the K12.2's with my other 20 total house surround speakers and 4 subs and the sound is heavenly. I'm really loving these speakers, I'm pretty sure the JBL's will never make it out of the box and will be swapped out for 2 more pairs of the K12.2's.
Al Poulin 2:02 AM - 6 March, 2019
Thanks for reporting back. Good to hear you're happy with the QSCs.

I'm guessing the DJ was likely running his eq fairly flat and with the DEEP setting activated. It didn't sound bad at all, certain mid frequencies just seemed to hurt my ears on certain songs at higher levels. I had noticed some harshness from the compression driver in the V1s as well when I heard them in store a few years back. Certainly not a deal breaker, as they are known to be very reliable and loud tops. I'm just likely more hard to please than most people.

I love my Yamaha DXRs and RCFs as well, (DXR15s are my go to "no sub" solution) but feel even they are little too ear friendly or smooth sometimes - needing a slight boost in the 2 to 4 K to improve vocal clarity. The smoothest tops I've heard were from RCF, to be honest - but from the very expensive TT series. Beautiful crisp top end that, while extremely detailed, was not harsh at all. All this to say, most quality tops can be eq'd pretty easily to the users' taste and we don't all hear the same :)

Have fun with your new toys, but I've never been able to mix PA speakers and home stereo speakers and obtai staisfactory results ars they are both truly designed for very different purposes.

Al
ABETTERDJ 2:16 AM - 6 March, 2019
Quote:

Have fun with your new toys, but I've never been able to mix PA speakers and home stereo speakers and obtai staisfactory results ars they are both truly designed for very different purposes.

Al

It only works if you have a boatload of them. I have separate volume and basic EQ for each speaker individually so I cranked up the K12's and then adjusted the other speakers accordingly. 2 of my Harmon Kardon speakers and a sub are right at my desk and I have the 12's directly behind me about 20 feet away so those 5 make a nice little musical capsule.
ABETTERDJ 4:44 AM - 7 March, 2019
Al or anybody else? Opinions on the Behringer Eurolive B1500XP Active 3000W Subwoofer with 15" Turbosound Speaker please, I can get some at a great price.
Al Poulin 3:43 PM - 7 March, 2019
Quote:
Al or anybody else? Opinions on the Behringer Eurolive B1500XP Active 3000W Subwoofer with 15" Turbosound Speaker please, I can get some at a great price.

Probably decent, but the 3000 watt figure is likely peak, as I can't really see a single 15'' requiring 3000 watts of applied power - unless it it particularly not efficient. That said, the actual increase in output from a 1000 to 3000 watt increase is litteraly just a few DBs (a little headroom basically) if you take power compression into consideration and other factors, so not a truly meaningful number. If a differenct sub is using a more efficient woofer, it could produce the same SPL with only 500 watts applied for example. As long as Behringer is good with their 3 year wrranty, they're probably just fine for their price.

Al
ABETTERDJ 5:37 PM - 7 March, 2019
Yeah I've learned to ignore raw watts and focus on the SPL and the frequency responses when it comes to DJ speakers. I wish there was some law that stopped the manufacturers from misrepresenting the facts.

This unit claims an SPL of 128 and I'm guessing the actual RMS is probably 1,000 which goes well with the K12.2's. I decided I am going to return the JBL's and get some more of the QSC's. I really love the sound and I can easily train my people how to set them for the best sound.