Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ 1.8 - Perfect experience

DJ Cyrix 12:57 PM - 1 November, 2015
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a thumbs up for this release. Used it live yesterday for 8 hours straight, pitch 'n time enabled, all flawless and CPU not even breaking a sweat. Also noticed the waveforms are moving much smoother now. Only 1 small problem with the libraries though: moving a library, or moving tracks in a library or to another library, is much more difficult since the libraries won't scroll anymore if you get to the top of your library screen... I had to place the track, then move up the lobrary and drag the song to the top again and again all over to get tracks & libraries where I want 'm.
No issue on the performance side though so nothing too critical. Oh, and I for one don't miss the beat matching display.
Good work!
#K 3:10 PM - 1 November, 2015
what do you mean with "beat matching display" ?
JDforKing 4:06 PM - 1 November, 2015
I've used it 4 times since Thursday and it's been rock solid for me. I also feel the sound quality has improved.
dj Krazey leo 4:19 PM - 1 November, 2015
+1 on overall improvement I used 1.8 Thursday thru Saturday and the experience was flawless on my Vic 380 the sound engine definitely sounds a little better not perfect but better. I need to give it a good run with my 57 mk2 and my demon mc 6000 mk2 just to make sure all is well with those machines. Thanks serato team .
Telony Ex 4:23 PM - 1 November, 2015
i ave same issue with the library scrollong. that need to be fixed asap since everybody in now reorgonizing library based on key feature. its a pain to be moving a crate or song without auto scrolling. real pain. fix asap
DjSyndic8 4:29 PM - 1 November, 2015
That library scroll was temporary for me but it came right, played for 6 hours Sat night it was rock solid I don't know about you guys but it has a more scratch live feel and look to me :) solid stability, the only thing I had to do was to re-analyze my 1000k plus library for the Key info to appear, but very solid release :)
Telony Ex 4:35 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
That library scroll was temporary

how did you get it to start scrolling? i am in process of organizing some songs and without this feature its real difficult
DjSyndic8 4:38 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
That library scroll was temporary

how did you get it to start scrolling? i am in process of organizing some songs and without this feature its real difficult

are you using a wireless mouse or are you using the track pad for scrolling? I use a wireless mouse for moving stuff around,
Telony Ex 4:51 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
are you using a wireless mouse or are you using the track pad for scrolling? I use a wireless mouse for moving stuff around

no i,m using a laptop
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:52 PM - 1 November, 2015
Waveforms smoother! Sorry had to stop you there that's bullshit it is a know issue waveforms are worse in 1.8.0 than any other serato software version ever.
DjSyndic8 5:23 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Waveforms smoother! Sorry had to stop you there that's bullshit it is a know issue waveforms are worse in 1.8.0 than any other serato software version ever.

I take it you are using a Windows laptop if you want to make it smoother not perfect but just a lil smoother on windows just change your refresh rate on serato dj to "50" instead of "60"

But if you want butter smooth wave forms you'll have to get a Mac. and it has improved a lot with SD 1.8
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:37 PM - 1 November, 2015
You tit!! It is a KNOWN issues the waveforms are worse! Yes on a mac and on a pc! They are WORSE because of the new gui technology! So to say they are better is just 100% full retard. Like really 😂😂 wow
DJ Marty 6:45 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
You tit!! It is a KNOWN issues the waveforms are worse! Yes on a mac and on a pc! They are WORSE because of the new gui technology! So to say they are better is just 100% full retard. Like really 😂😂 wow

Is their an asshole DJ master class that I have missed somewhere along the way?
Ariel M 6:52 PM - 1 November, 2015
I have to agree with Woolsey. The waveform in 1.8 is not smooth compared to previous version. Even the rotating spindle is a little bit stuttery in 1.8

There might have an improvement of this issue in Windows pc but not in Mac.

I'm using:
2012 Mac 13" 1.7 2.9ghz with 750hdd and 8gb ram.

I'm not sure if 15" mac is affected by this issue as it has dedicated geaphics card.

Is there any 15" mac user here who can can tell?
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:05 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I missed it to,

Like i say it is a known issue waveforms are worse just ask the serato development team if you don't belive me. In 1.8.0 they are the worst in Seratos history.

So you just make your self sound stupid saying they better.
DjSyndic8 7:07 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:

wow wow wow "you mad bro" ease off on the roid rage there Marty I still dont know if your on a Mac PC or Mars there buddy, I'm speaking from my own experience I'm having no issues here.

Quote:
I'm using:

I'm not sure if 15" mac is affected by this issue as it has dedicated geaphics card.

I'm using a 2012 15inch Mac book Pro 2.6 quadcore 16gb ram, and its running smooth as Dr Evils bald head, even the spinning dial on Serato DJ is smoother then the last release so in my experience this new version 1.8 is more stable then the last, so chill out Dj Marty u still mad bro.............. hehe
Telony Ex 7:08 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Only 1 small problem with the libraries though: moving a library, or moving tracks in a library or to another library, is much more difficult since the libraries won't scroll anymore if you get to the top of your library screen... I had to place the track, then move up the lobrary and drag the song to the top again and again all over to get tracks & libraries where I want 'm.

i found a temp solution to this problem till serato get it fixed. since i still had scratch live installed, i just used it to do all my rearrange =ments that will require scrolling. works for now
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:24 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

wow wow wow "you mad bro" ease off on the roid rage there Marty I still dont know if your on a Mac PC or Mars there buddy, I'm speaking from my own experience I'm having no issues here.

Quote:
I'm using:

I'm using a 2012 15inch Mac book Pro 2.6 quadcore 16gb ram, and its running smooth as Dr Evils bald head, even the spinning dial on Serato DJ is smoother then the last release so in my experience this new version 1.8 is more stable then the last, so chill out Dj Marty u still mad bro.............. hehe

😂😂😂 keep making yourself look silly....
DjSyndic8 7:26 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:

I can tell marty is from the uk because no one calls anyone a tit in this part of the world lol
DjSyndic8 7:26 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Only 1 small problem with the libraries though: moving a library, or moving tracks in a library or to another library, is much more difficult since the libraries won't scroll anymore if you get to the top of your library screen... I had to place the track, then move up the lobrary and drag the song to the top again and again all over to get tracks & libraries where I want 'm.

i found a temp solution to this problem till serato get it fixed. since i still had scratch live installed, i just used it to do all my rearrange =ments that will require scrolling. works for now

I have a better solution use "Itch Sync" for organizing your crates
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:38 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I can tell marty is from the uk because no one calls anyone a tit in this part of the world lol

That's another point need to bring #Marty back!

Looking foward to the next release that fixes the waveforms to at least as good as all version before 1.8.0

Will post up here the release notes when it drops 😜
DJ Marty 8:35 PM - 1 November, 2015
😜

That movement when one dat they finally discover how the quote option is used in a forum
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:34 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:

This is not exactly true.

Serato DJ 1.8 includes new and improved GUI technology. For some computer models this will mean the GUI (most noticeably the waveform) will be a lot smoother. However for other computer models the waveforms may seem a little shakier than in previous versions. So it is absolutely possible that he has smoother waveforms in this release.

Also please be a bit nicer when dealing with other users on the forum, we're trying to create an inclusive environment here :)
DjSyndic8 9:38 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:

Serato DJ 1.8 includes new and improved GUI technology. For some computer models this will mean the GUI (most noticeably the waveform) will be a lot smoother. However for other computer models the waveforms may seem a little shakier than in previous versions. So it is absolutely possible that he has smoother waveforms in this release.

Also please be a bit nicer when dealing with other on the forum, we're trying to create an inclusive environment here :)

Thank you Michael R ...... for that useful information for our mate Dj Marty in the Uk we're all brothers here no harm and no dramas :)

Like I said before with my system I feel this version runs smooth and stable compared to past versions of SDJ thanks again Michael R :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:39 PM - 1 November, 2015
No worries :)

I also have better performance on my computer too. Go 1.8!
acemc 9:55 PM - 1 November, 2015
I'm with Woolsey on this one.
On my machine it is the worst it's been.
Macbook Pro 2012, 2.4ghz i7, 16gb 1600mhz DDR3.
david07 10:07 PM - 1 November, 2015
Problems waveforms on osx
D-audi 10:18 PM - 1 November, 2015
It would help if everyone that praised or citicized the GUI performance gave computer specs. No issues here after *very brief* testing on a 2010 MBP 15" i7 2.66GHz with dedicated graphics card, 512mb VRAM, 8GB system ram.

Can't wait to mess with this more. :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:20 PM - 1 November, 2015
Already been done by all the users in the betas and Serato just ran out of time to fix them.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:24 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Already been done by all the users in the betas and Serato just ran out of time to fix them.

LJ_WOOLSEY, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make in all these threads but we still do want people to give us their full specs. By you posting statements like this it puts people off posting, which is not what we want. Please consider this.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:25 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
It would help if everyone that praised or citicized the GUI performance gave computer specs.

This is very important to note, thanks D-audi.

As I mentioned earlier, some people will have better performance and some will have worse. The graphics card is an important part of this equation so please give us all the info you can :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:28 PM - 1 November, 2015
The point this should have been sorted before release. Or just pulled the gui tech as for 1.8.0 it has no benefits what so ever. Infact it takes away and made it worse. Sure i guess people can post there specs here. Not sure what that is going todo when dropping them with logs videos ect to the developers desk didn't help.

Unplugging keyboard....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:32 PM - 1 November, 2015
Ok, so you have issues with how we have handled this release. That's fine, you know there are appropriate channels available to you for reaching us. Your opinion can always be heard.

What's not cool is just posting everywhere and shutting people down. Just because they have a different experience to you doesn't mean that they are wrong. If people want help and are willing to provide information then we want to hear it. Please let us do our part to help people out.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:38 PM - 1 November, 2015
Plugs keyboard back in.... Just wanted to say i speak for more than my self, The whole beta team slammed these waveforms so did your staff....

You say proper channels oh i see only allowed to post a postive view.... Negative behind closed doors! Ok then.

Well you say help people out but what about the people that helped Serato out to fix all this before release so people didn't even need helping out?

Sorry but i put alot of time in for you guys and this release feels like it's been wasted. I know the waveforms are worse and that the gui tech in 1.8.0 bought no improvements. So sorry if i use my knowledge to call bullshit. Because whatever is said good or bad i always try to make sure it's put right.

You don't need to get all pissy with me do that to the people at the top that said fuck it Pioneer said release it now so let's do it.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:46 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
You say proper channels oh i see only allowed to post a postive view.... Negative behind closed doors! Ok then.

That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is that you have channels available to you , so please use them. Derailing other peoples threads isn't helping them and it's not helping you.

Quote:
Well you say help people out but what about the people that helped Serato out to fix all this before release so people didn't even need helping out?

Sorry but i put alot of time in for you guys and this release feels like it's been wasted. I know the waveforms are worse and that the gui tech in 1.8.0 bought no improvements. So sorry if i use my knowledge to call bullshit. Because whatever is said good or bad i always try to make sure it's put right.

I understand your frustration, but this is why I am taking issue with your posts - you are spreading incorrect knowledge. You say the GUI tech brought no improvements, this is not true. You say that the waveforms are worse full stop, again this is not true. In your case they are worse and we acknowledge that, and are still working to address this. But for you to straight out say they are worse for everyone and that you know this as fact is just not true. You're more than welcome to talk about your own experience, but you don't speak for everyone.

Quote:
You don't need to get all pissy with me do that to the people at the top that said fuck it Pioneer said release it now so let's do it.

I'm not "pissy" at all, I just get concerned when I see incorrect comments being posted as truth. As I said, feel free to post about your own experience as you wish.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:55 PM - 1 November, 2015
Ok so what are these GUI improvements? List them?

Ok about waveforms i guess alot of lieing from staff went on in the beta, So what processors and graphics cards does 1.8.0 support? Just so i can correct and update my information that has just come to light of changing since this thread?

Thank you.
DjSyndic8 12:12 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:

Ok about waveforms i guess alot of lieing from staff went on in the beta, So what processors and graphics cards does 1.8.0 support? Just so i can correct and update my information that has just come to light of changing since this thread?

Thank you.

LJ _Woolsey you need to relax bro...... its hard to help somebody that thinks they know everything like your self.... this forum is about djs helping each other out and not get criticized for sharing there experience with Serato dj....... and letting us know your full specification will allow Serato Techs and experienced users help out because they have experienced simmilar issues like yours..... just need to relax bro...
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:17 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you.

LJ _Woolsey you need to relax bro...... its hard to help somebody that thinks they know everything like your self.... this forum is about djs helping each other out and not get criticized for sharing there experience with Serato dj....... and letting us know your full specification will allow Serato Techs and experienced users help out because they have experienced simmilar issues like yours..... just need to relax bro...

🍻🍕 chilled, been told off haha... Will keep quite 1.8.0 is perfect with advanced gui improvmemts of black screens, misplaced elements, wobbly waveforms and freezing on close 😜

Oh shit keep quite 😳👋🏻 🤐
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:36 AM - 2 November, 2015
We acknowledge its not perfect LJ_WOOLSEY. We'd just prefer constructive criticism and co-operation to help us work through these issues that people are reporting.

The attitude you are displaying seems to be anything but constructive right now.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:57 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
The attitude you are displaying seems to be anything but constructive right now.

🤐 🔑
DJ Lil Vito 12:58 AM - 2 November, 2015
Things seem smooth on my end for 1.8. Running 13" 2013 Retina MBP.
DjSyndic8 1:14 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:

Nice one DJ Lil Vito :)
Mr. Goodkat 1:18 AM - 2 November, 2015
on 10.8.5 my waveforms were not smooth at all in the beta, but the 1.8 official release was better but still worse than 1.74 or any other release ever.

i have 16 gb of ram.
JDforKing 1:36 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:

Smooth for me too, macbook pro 13inch late 2011 16 gb of ram.
blackavenger 2:01 AM - 2 November, 2015
Prior to 1.8 (for the past 5 or so releases) the waveforms have been glitchy/fuzzy for me. Post 1.8 they are smooth as they were on ScratchLIVE.

15" 2011 Macbook Pro (OSX 10.10.5)
2.0GHz, 16GB of ram, 256GB SSD

It's strange how the experience is so different across the board.
DJ Marty 2:03 AM - 2 November, 2015
1.8 is the best update to date. Waveforms smooth...great job!

MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2015 OSX 10.10.5
2.8Ghz i7 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
938MyDJ 2:24 AM - 2 November, 2015
Great experience with 1.8 last night too!
Using (Ableton) freshly made beatloops and the key-change feature, playing instant good sets has never been as easy!

2014 Macbook Pro 15 - 16GB RAM
Yosemite 10.10.5
DjSyndic8 2:46 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Prior to 1.8 (for the past 5 or so releases) the waveforms have been glitchy/fuzzy for me. Post 1.8 they are smooth as they were on ScratchLIVE.

the new release has some form of Scratch live coding in it, it just looks and feels like scratch live even the crates color looks like scratch live, a lot of djs will agree that scratch live was very stable compared to Itch back in the day :)
Ariel M 3:17 AM - 2 November, 2015
Mine is:

13" 2012 MBP i7 2.9Ghz 8GB Ram 750GB HDD running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and Sdj 1.7.4

Waveform and Spindle (in sdj platter) in 1.8 is worse than previous version.

No, I'm not going to upgrade my ios unless it solves my problem with the stuttery waveform of sdj 1.8

Thank you!
DjSyndic8 3:28 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Mine is:

13" 2012 MBP i7 2.9Ghz 8GB Ram 750GB HDD running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and Sdj 1.7.4

No, I'm not going to upgrade my ios unless it solves my problem with the stuttery waveform of sdj 1.8

Thank you!

try changing your refresh rate in Serato DJ to 50 instead of 60
DjSyndic8 3:31 AM - 2 November, 2015
also Turn off Graphic switching support.apple.com
Ariel M 4:24 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Mine is:

Thank you!

try changing your refresh rate in Serato DJ to 50 instead of 60

Still the same it didn't help at all.
Ariel M 4:25 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:

This is for 15" & 17" Mac with dedicated graphics and built-in card only.

Mine is 13" without dedicated graphics card.
D-audi 4:51 AM - 2 November, 2015
Another user on a recent Mac had success deleting and reinstalling v1.8. Might be worth a try if you're on a machine that passes spec.
DjSyndic8 5:33 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

This is for 15" & 17" Mac with dedicated graphics and built-in card only.

Mine is 13" without dedicated graphics card.

so u have 2 graphics cards one of them is more powerful then the other
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:48 PM - 2 November, 2015
Ok so after all this Serato staff have been talking to me over PM, They have given me updated information to make sure i give out the correct information,

That is that this new GUI technology is all about how well your GPU handles it so some users will have better waveforms (i'm told this could be the best waveforms ever seen in serato software) Also told the GUI improvements in 1.8.0 will be the same only seen if your GPU works well with the GUI tech.

On the flipside if your GPU does not play nice you will have all sorts of issues and basically the software being the worst yet. (Like mine)

it is so fare a 100% gamble to which way the coin lands abit like how serato works on windows.

So to be more helpful here is my full specs and full GPU specs...

MacBookPro9,1 15''
2.7Ghz i7 Quad Core
16GB RAM
OSX 10.10.05
All Serato optimisation done.

GPU Deatils

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3682
gMux Version: 1.9.23
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

For anyone else wanting to find there full GPU details goto the Apple logo at top left > Then About this mac > Then System report near bottom of the window > then Graphics/Displays > then just high light the text of the GPU then hold CMD down and press C > then just paste into the forum here...

Cheers.
DJ Marty 12:28 AM - 3 November, 2015
Woosley...might be time for a new Macbook man. You have a early 2012 so you coming up on a machine that is 4 years old.
Philmixit 12:53 AM - 3 November, 2015
I have to say, for me serato dj is the best software out there, and 1.8 now, love it, it's dope, to the team of SERATO DJ great job.
waveforms , song quality, stability,to the developors nice job, and a special thank to you for a software that works!!!!!
DJ Fluke 613 1:33 AM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Woosley...might be time for a new Macbook man. You have a early 2012 so you coming up on a machine that is 4 years old.

In terms of specs, what would a new machine offer? Those are great specs. Blowing 2000 + for a retina that is thinner? For what really.
jmims 3:51 AM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Woosley...might be time for a new Macbook man

That's wouldn't help in his case. His Mac is well over specs than needed to run serato smooth. I'm using MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010) running 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4 GB DDR3 running smooth and waveforms are the best version yet to me.

Woosley I would check your computer man, anything extra running and if everything is completely backed up do a fresh install. Not a overwrite of the OS I mean a complete full erase/wipe of your hard drive then install OS EL Capitan.

*** You might also want to update El Capitan from your current OSX 10.10.05 to 10.11.1
Hope this helps bro
DjSyndic8 4:12 AM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Woosley...might be time for a new Macbook man

Im runnin 2012 MBP as well with bare minimum and it runs smooth as I just use this just for djing only I guess this is why it still runs smooth as and 1.8 is the most stable I've ever used
Marv Incredible 4:13 AM - 3 November, 2015
Eh? Update to El Capitan when it's not yet supported by Serato? That sounds like great advice. I agree though, his machine is well over spec and should run SDJ without needing replacement.

And bear in mind, his computer ran SDJ totally (relatively) fine before 1.8 and he has already done all the usual optimisations, so the onus here lies as much with Serato to get the program working properly again for him and others like him.
jmims 4:26 AM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Eh? Update to El Capitan when it's not yet supported by Serato? That sounds like great advice

Thanks for the correction Marv. That was suppose to go somewhere else. Disregard that
*** You might also want to update El Capitan from your current OSX 10.10.05 to 10.11.1
Hope this helps bro in the previous post but definitely think about the wipe and reinstall.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:24 AM - 3 November, 2015
Cheers guys and yes I don't need a new computer,

I will wait this out I'm not the only one with these issues. So let's see what happens. Next Public BETA will be interesting.

Cheers guys
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:50 AM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:

Also it is a mid 2012 the last uni body, i did not buy it in 2012! It also was the most expensive MacbookPro money could buy nearly £3000! With all the added extras!

It also runs 100% perfect in other versions. It's a beast.

Buying a new top spec would give me 0.1Ghz more and 1GB more RAM and less harddrive space.

So no advantage in buying a new one plus there are people posting hear with specs no where near mine.

Also as already said it is a gamble to how your GPU works with seesto code on the new GUI technology. I guess I'm unlucky and these MID 2012 are crap with this technology.

Hears to hopeing those guys in dev can find away to make them better.

Cheers,
DJ Cyrix 11:00 AM - 3 November, 2015
For me, they are way better (the waveforms). Period. Leave your frustration somewhere else next time.
Specs here: HP Pavilion dv6 Win 7 PC AMD Phenom II Quad Core 1,8Ghz with 8Mb ram.
Graphics card: 2GB Radeon(TM) HD 6770M GDDR5
DJ Marty 1:07 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Eh? Update to El Capitan when it's not yet supported by Serato? That sounds like great advice. I agree though, his machine is well over spec and should run SDJ without needing replacement.

Glad all these computer experts hang out here ;)
DJ Marty 1:14 PM - 3 November, 2015
Anyhow yes your computer is in line spec wise to run Serato so in theory it should be fine. Your model MBP had a recall on the GPU so it might be failing so you might want to contact Apple to see if you qualify for a repair.

www.apple.com
teemac111 1:21 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I'm using:

Its smooth on my 2012 i7 MBP ((shrugs))....and lol @ Roid Rage
wadup 2:15 PM - 3 November, 2015
Intel Iris Pro:

Chipset Model: Intel Iris Pro
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0d26
Revision ID: 0x0008
gMux Version: 4.0.8 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fe9
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3776
gMux Version: 4.0.8 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: Retina LCD
Resolution: 2880 x 1800 Retina
Retina: Yes

for me the waveform is very shaky at full zoom....rest of view is good
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:43 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Its smooth on my 2012 i7 MBP ((shrugs))....and lol @ Roid Rage

Haha, But is it the "same" as other versions or just you think it looks fine to you? You don't notice any like jitter wobble of the iccles? Offline mode is noticeably more worse than online so easier to see the issue in offline mode.

Quote:
Anyhow yes your computer is in line spec wise to run Serato so in theory it should be fine. Your model MBP had a recall on the GPU so it might be failing so you might want to contact Apple to see if you qualify for a repair.

www.apple.com

Cheers but mine is not a Retina and looks like that's the one affected in the 2012 models.
Thanks for looking into it tho.
Ariel M 7:23 PM - 3 November, 2015
Hello all, just got back sorry been busy at work.

I have 2 video clips here to compare the waveform and spindle (inside platter) between sdj 1.7.4 (I currently use) and sdj 1.8 for you guys to see.

Sorry for the shakey hand and quality of the video as I'm using iPhone only.

Here:

Clip #1 (1.7.4) - Watchwww.youtube.com

Clip #2 (1.8) - Watchwww.youtube.com

In the clip you will notice a slight difference between the 2 versions due to iphone's frame per second video capture (I guess). But, in actual the comparison of the 2 version is very noticeable.

Here's my computer specs:

13" (mid) 2012 MBP i7 / 2.9Gh / 8GB RAM / 750GB HDD / running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 ios.
Ariel M 7:24 PM - 3 November, 2015
SDJ 1.7.4 waveform is smoother for me than SDJ 1.8
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:25 PM - 3 November, 2015
I can see from those videos straight away 1.7.4 is smoother and the issues with the waveforms are in that 1.8.0 Video, Thanks for spending your time making them.
Ariel M 7:28 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
I can see from those videos straight away 1.7.4 is smoother and the issues with the waveforms are in that 1.8.0 Video, Thanks for spending your time making them.

You're welcome!

The waveform in 1.8 may be perfect and good enough for some other users here but not for me.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:31 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome!

The waveform in 1.8 may be perfect and good enough for some other users here but not for me.

Yep slight wobble and random slow delays in the iccles these are the exact issues i am talking about, Thanks again for your time.
938MyDJ 7:47 PM - 3 November, 2015
Although I'm not having issues on my main laptop (2014 Macbook 15 - Yosemite) and my workstation (Imac 2009 - Mavericks)...

I will check with my older Macbooks (2011, 2009, 2008 - all Mavericks) to see if this issue will come up the same.

*Note: The beta that is installed on all of these units didn't give me this waveform problem*
acemc 7:51 PM - 3 November, 2015
I also just did a quick comparison video.
The video starts with V1.8.0 then I change back & forth between the two versions.
Note: I actually had both versions running at the same time.
youtu.be
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:53 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
The video starts with V1.8.0 then I change back & forth between the two versions.
youtu.be

Thanks for that yep i can see the waveforms wobble in 1.8.0 in your videos.
Ariel M 8:30 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
youtu.be

Thanks for that yep i can see the waveforms wobble in 1.8.0 in your videos.

Yes this is more visible indication that older version is better than 1.8. Thanks for the video acemc.
acemc 8:39 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Thanks for the video acemc.

No probz.
So while I was on the comparison mission...
I decided to do a quick comparison of SDJ1.8 vs Rekordbox 4 waveforms.
I think this should prove that our 2012 mac's don't need replacing.
youtu.be
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:46 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the video acemc.

No probz.
So while I was on the comparison mission...
I decided to do a quick comparison of SDJ1.8 vs Rekordbox 4 waveforms.
I think this should prove that our 2012 mac's don't need replacing.
youtu.be

Nice, shame to see someone in the game for years do such a poor job compared to someone doing there first go..... word.

Thanks for spending some time on doing videos ect to backup it's not right.
Ariel M 8:56 PM - 3 November, 2015
I guess 1.8 was rushed to catch up with the release of Pioneer DJM-S9?

I like the full waveform of Rekordbox, it's more detailed and fatter compared to 1.8, I hope Serato improve it in the next update :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:58 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
I hope Serato improve it in the next update :)

They will just to shut me up haha
DjSyndic8 9:50 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Hello all, just got back sorry been busy at work.

I have 2 video clips here to compare the waveform and spindle (inside platter) between sdj 1.7.4 (I currently use) and sdj 1.8 for you guys to see.

Sorry for the shakey hand and quality of the video as I'm using iPhone only.

Here:

Clip #1 (1.7.4) - Watchwww.youtube.com

Clip #2 (1.8) - Watchwww.youtube.com

this video is not conclusive since the bottom video is 1.8 and the camera work is very shakey yet the 1.7 version is more camera stable,
its not conclusive at all and I don't see any difference in the wave forms from the 2 videos

Ive put these 2 same videos side by side you be the judge Watchwww.youtube.com

PS if you want to make an unbiased video use a good quality hd camera and make sure they are stable
acemc 9:54 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
its not conclusive at all and I don't see any difference in the wave forms from the 2 videos

What about the video's I posted?
Not taken with a camera, I used screen-flow.
Surely you can see the difference there?
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:54 PM - 3 November, 2015
I can see it easy and even in your video i can see 1.8.0 is worse. Could of chosen a track with a fuller waveform but again thanks for the video. So fare all videos show the 1.8.0 waveforms as worse.
DjSyndic8 9:56 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
I can see it easy and even in your video i can see 1.8.0 is worse. Could of chosen a track with a fuller waveform but again thanks for the video. So fare all videos show the 1.8.0 waveforms as worse.

bro 1.8 looks bad because the camera man has shakey hands lol
DjSyndic8 9:57 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:

your showing offline player on SDJ1.8 be nice if you showed the wave forms while your dj hardware is connected
acemc 9:57 PM - 3 November, 2015
Sorry Woolsey,
my question was actually for DjSyndic8
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:58 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

bro 1.8 looks bad because the camera man has shakey hands lol

I'm talking about your video, and shakey hands or not i know what I'm looking for and a can see the waveform glitch. It's there but ya screen cap would been better haha
acemc 9:58 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
your showing offline player on SDJ1.8 be nice if you showed the wave forms while your dj hardware is connected

Look at the video above that one
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:58 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Sorry Woolsey,
my question was actually for DjSyndic8

We posted same time haha
DjSyndic8 10:01 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:

what videos you didn't post any videos on this thread put the link back up
acemc 10:02 PM - 3 November, 2015
This one: youtu.be
DjSyndic8 10:03 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
This one: youtu.be

oh year I see it can you do one with your Dj Midi player plugged in and do a comparison with 1.7 and 1.80 , not really worried about record box
Mr. Goodkat 10:03 PM - 3 November, 2015
i get about the same amount of movement, not alot, but there was none up til now.

it was worse in the beta.

issues like this generally get fixed, not overly worried about it.
DjSyndic8 10:03 PM - 3 November, 2015
typo year = yeah
acemc 10:06 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
can you do one with your Dj Midi player plugged in and do a comparison with 1.7 and 1.80 , not really worried about record box

That's exactly what this video shows. 1.8 vs 1.7.8 with hardware connected
youtu.be
acemc 10:09 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
but there was none up til now.

That's why this thread has gone a bit wild.
Some say it's better, other have had the exact opposite experience.
DjSyndic8 10:10 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
can you do one with your Dj Midi player plugged in and do a comparison with 1.7 and 1.80 , not really worried about record box

youtu.be

I see the big difference here bro good videos in your case 1.8 is way worse then 1.74
DjSyndic8 10:14 PM - 3 November, 2015
"arielfm22's" test videos don't show much difference but "acemc" you can definitely see the difference I guess whats left to do is people that have this issue start a help thread and put there full hardware specification up for Serato Techs to fix.
acemc 10:14 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
I see the big difference here bro good videos in your case 1.8 is way worse then 1.74

Cool, I'm glad you can see it.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:15 PM - 3 November, 2015
Anyone got a 1.8.0 vs 1.7.8 where 1.8.0 is actually better?

And i guess post your GPU details with the videos we uploading?

That might help.
DjSyndic8 10:21 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Anyone got a 1.8.0 vs 1.7.8 where 1.8.0 is actually better?

And i guess post your GPU details with the videos we uploading?

That might help.

good call :)
Asymptotic 10:36 PM - 3 November, 2015
Waveform performance has not changed between versions for me, on either computers. It is the same subpar performance it has always been.

Laptop specs:
CPU: Core i5 2.4 ghz
Ram: 8g ddr3,
Video Card: Radeon 6630M, forced in bios to always use that, no switchable graphics enabled.
1 TB - 7,200 RPM HDD

Desktop Specs:
CPU: i7 - 4790k (Overclocked to 4.5 GHZ)
Memory: 16 gigs DDR3
Video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ GAMING ACX 2.0+
Operating system/Serato storage: 2 X 512 Crucial SSD's in raid 0
Music storage: 2 X 4 TB 7200 HDD's also in Raid 0
Asymptotic 10:39 PM - 3 November, 2015
My desktop should be able to run 5 instances of Serato like butter but yet it can't even handle one waveform smoothly, let alone 4.

I should also note the laptop only has serato, chrome, and itunes on it. It's sole purpose is for gigs, and it is fully optimized. My desktop is fully optimized because it's a gaming/production PC.
DjSyndic8 10:57 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
My desktop should be able to run 5 instances of Serato like butter but yet it can't even handle one waveform smoothly, let alone 4.

I should also note the laptop only has serato, chrome, and itunes on it. It's sole purpose is for gigs, and it is fully optimized. My desktop is fully optimized because it's a gaming/production PC.

this has been a big issue with PC's and Mac somehow PC has never received smooth wave files for as long as I can remember this is why I splashed out on a new Mac back in 2012 and still runs smoother then my i7 pc desktop which I use to analyze my tracks, I don't even think Serato can sort the PC issue out, from what Ive read its not a top priority for Serato to fix this
david07 12:35 AM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

exact 1.8 problems waveforms ,1.7.8 better
david07 12:38 AM - 4 November, 2015
macbook pro 2012
i5 2.5 ghz
8gb ram 1600mhz
hd 4000 graphics

serato dj 1.7.8 work better ,1.8 version not
solution serato,please
acemc 11:25 AM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
I don't even think Serato can sort the PC issue out, from what Ive read its not a top priority for Serato to fix this

Unforunately It's affecting both pc & mac.
DjLouie Jr 3:13 PM - 4 November, 2015
ok guy's here is what I use is A Macbook pro 17'' Late 2011 2.4 ghz i7 core 8Gb intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB,.(OSX Version 10.10.3) I use a Rane 62 Z trip with Pioneer cdj-2000 in HID Mode & A Pioneer Sp-1, NO external HD. My system was running flawless with SDJ 1.7.8 i went an uploaded 1.8 did not work as well for me So i had go back to 1.7.8 I'm going to stay with 1.7.8 for while as i have a lot of gig's coming up & i need a stable running system can't be playing worrying about my software acting up on me at a gig............
DjSyndic8 8:45 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
1.8 did not work as well for me So i had go back to 1.7.8

what kind of issues did you have with 1.8?
trayE 9:58 PM - 4 November, 2015
I got a problem with 1.8!

When I scroll using the mouse pad on the laptop, everything seems to freeze until i move it again. On every scroll it does the same. When I use just the arrows it slows down a bit. This is a huge problem for me because I mainly scroll thru my library using the laptop. This is just visual part of the program, the audio is playing without problem. Tried it also on stand alone mode (without the AMX or the VCI-380 connected), the problem is the same.

If anyone knows a solution, please help!

The spec are: Win7 64 bit, i3, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB HDD and the laptop is used purely for Serato. Tried it with both SSD and HDD, same problem..

Is this a classic case of planned obsolescence? Is my laptop now too old for SDJ? :/
&Midge 10:16 PM - 4 November, 2015
How optimized are your visual effects settings in Windows mate?
trayE 10:34 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
How optimized are your visual effects settings in Windows mate?

Everything is as it should be. I have done the standard and advanced optimization from serato.com
&Midge 10:42 PM - 4 November, 2015
I had very similar issues (maybe our issues are different). Having 'Desktop Composition' disabled caused me all sort of trouble in 1.8

Might be worth checking your settings.
DjSyndic8 10:48 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
The spec are: Win7 64 bit, i3, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB HDD and the laptop is used purely for Serato. Tried it with both SSD and HDD, same problem..

Is this a classic case of planned obsolescence? Is my laptop now too old for SDJ? :/

sorry to say but your laptop is under spec, an i3 is basically an overclocked dual core, when you upgrade to the newer version of SDJ your machine will struggle because of the new updates, the pausing is what you call lag, I have a little bit of lag when I'm scrolling down through my crates, but only last for a sec or so
trayE 10:50 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
I had very similar issues (maybe our issues are different). Having 'Desktop Composition' disabled caused me all sort of trouble in 1.8

I will try, thanks!

Quote:
Quote:

sorry to say but your laptop is under spec, an i3 is basically an overclocked dual core, when you upgrade to the newer version of SDJ your machine will struggle because of the new updates, the pausing is what you call lag, I have a little bit of lag when I'm scrolling down through my crates, but only last for a sec or so

1.7.8 worked flawlessly.
trayE 11:05 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:

I use Windows in classic view, I like the retro 98/XP looks. Just now I switched it to the standard Win7 theme, and the problem disappeared! I guess "Desktop composition" is switched off in the classic theme.

Thanks man!
&Midge 11:19 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:

This is not the case at all!

Quote:
I use Windows in classic view, I like the retro 98/XP looks. Just now I switched it to the standard Win7 theme, and the problem disappeared! I guess "Desktop composition" is switched off in the classic theme.

I like the classic option too. You can still kind of have this by creating a custom effects, you can have everything switched off, but you must enable 'Desktop Composition'

Once you enable this, Apply settings, close the screen and reopen. You can then turn of the transparent glass and other options which are part of the 'Desktop Composition' once it has been applied.

Quote:
Thanks man!

Glad to help, it took me ages to work out what was wrong! :D
DjSyndic8 11:37 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

This is not the case at all!

it is the case if you have a lot of music say over 100,000 tracks like myself.
trayE 11:50 PM - 4 November, 2015
Why would you need 100,000 tracks? I used to have very large number of tracks, but lately I am constantly cutting my library. And I play at least 4 styles of music.

Think of it like a vinyl crate, you would carefully pick what you buy and play. It's the same with digital, at least to me. :-)
DjSyndic8 12:07 AM - 5 November, 2015
Quote:
Why would you need 100,000 tracks? I used to have very large number of tracks, but lately I am constantly cutting my library. And I play at least 4 styles of music.

Think of it like a vinyl crate, you would carefully pick what you buy and play. It's the same with digital, at least to me. :-)

I also do mobile gigs and you pretty much have to carry everything, I wish it wasn't the case but I hate being at a gig and someone asks for a song and I don't have it.
Andrei Matei 4:08 AM - 5 November, 2015
SDJ 1.8 waveforms are bad for me both on my mid-2012 (non-retina) 13" MBP running OSX 10.8 and mid-2014 Retina 13" MBP running OSX 10.10.

I wonder if they did this new GUI/graphics engine work in preparation for a retina-enabled experience? That would be rad.

Still need to make time to do A-B testing of the SQ with 1.8 but its nice to hear a lot of people have said it has improved over previous versions.
nik39 9:43 PM - 5 November, 2015
My results: The waveforms run considerably worse in 1.8.0 compared to 1.7.8. Very jitterish.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2,5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB

AMD Radeon HD 6770M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6770M
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6740
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0126
Revision ID: 0x0009

Automatic graphic switching - disabled.

This machine runs pretty well with SDJ and ME, even at 1080p videos on both decks. So it can't be that the GPU does not have enough juice.
irieproductions 2:03 AM - 6 November, 2015
Same waveform behavior on my MBP Retina Late 2013, Intel Iris 1536mb. It's not smooth at all and they look the same crappy way as on my windows pc.
Mackle 8:23 AM - 7 November, 2015
MBP 13" Retina Mid 2013
3 GHz Intel Core i7
8 BG 1600 MHz DDR3 Memory

The waveforms do not seem very smooth to me, especially compared to past versions.

Also when I use Cmd-Tab to toggle applications, Serato DJ does not return to the forefront properly. Meaning when i toggle to another application, like Safari or iTunes, and attempt to return to Serato DJ, instead of it popping to the forefront, I have to hide all other applications in front of it.
acemc 4:14 AM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
Also when I use Cmd-Tab to toggle applications, Serato DJ does not return to the forefront properly. Meaning when i toggle to another application, like Safari or iTunes, and attempt to return to Serato DJ, instead of it popping to the forefront, I have to hide all other applications in front of it.

And it hangs on close - everytime!!
Paul Cee 11:49 AM - 8 November, 2015
well for me this seems to be the update to use going forward, smooth waves,sweet sound, no drop outs,nice one Serato
Bogdan Dobrescu 2:40 PM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
on 10.8.5 my waveforms were not smooth at all in the beta, but the 1.8 official release was better but still worse than 1.74 or any other release ever.

i have 16 gb of ram.

you have right, the same problem for me, not so smooth like 1.7.4, and freeze sometimes...it happened few times and revert to 1.7.4
So, dear guys from Serato please do something asap..

PS: DJ WOOLSEY have right also

Thanks for feedback asap
DJ Cyrix 8:18 AM - 9 November, 2015
One thing i noticed this weekend (and weird because the week before i hadn't spotted it): reamining time in the right deck doesn't show milliseconds , the number after the '.' can't be seen. I should check if it happens consistantly, but i'm not at home for the moment. Will check again tonight.
kbscholar 9:44 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

It's "there", not "their"...lol...and yes, you missed the class.
ASTRAEA 2:00 PM - 11 November, 2015
at first i was disappointed! after troubleshooting for sometime+taking advantage to reinstal serato (been a user since SSL1) redesign my crates zero point +set up a dual boot partition via ssd+hdd, I was gonna downgrade until I crawled the forums to find this...

Quote:
Quote:

Also please be a bit nicer when dealing with other users on the forum, we're trying to create an inclusive environment here :)

correct on win7 or any system really you can't nerf the GUI to free up resources! I actually have a legit reason to use aero.

10/10 well done serato!! :D keep it up!
DjSyndic8 11:11 PM - 14 November, 2015
another Solid performance from Serato DJ 1.8 last night:)
Mr. Goodkat 9:39 PM - 21 November, 2015
went back to 1.74 for a night to see if the waveforms were better.

much better and very smooth.

really my only major gripe with 1.8 is the waveforms stuttering. its not huge, but it is noticeable and just annoying enough to notice.