DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Chauvet DJ Intimidator Spot 255 IRC totem mode review

Joee 11:09 PM - 31 October, 2015
i recently picked up two of these fixtures i had planed on using them with glow totems, so totem mode seemed like a cool feature, well it doesn't work or rather doesn't work the way chauvet claims • Beams always remain on the dance floor using the built-in, innovative Totem Mode

i spoke with chauvet about the way the light runs in totem mode & here is what they had to say:

"Joe
Here is another reply from our product development:

PD:
There is nothing wrong with his fixture. When Totem Mode is activated, the pan and tilt restrictions will prevent the unit from facing BEHIND the DJ [thus, keeping all light on or over the dance floor]. The Totem Mode was not designed to keep the fixture aiming at the dance floor because when the dance floor is full, you cannot see the gobos or colors. Therefore, sometimes the head will hit the ceiling which casts the light below to the dancing guests and allows you to see the projected gobo(s) on the ceiling.

If this customer only wants the moving head to hit the dance floor [ie always pointing down], he is going to have to program his moving heads with a DMX controller."

ok! what happened to this? • Beams always remain on the dance floor using the built-in, innovative Totem Mode ,it's right on the website for you to see in the features description
www.chauvetlighting.com

here is a video i made of the 255irc set to totem mode down, watch 0:58 the fixture stays pointing on the celling Watchwww.youtube.com

hope that helps anyone considering buying this light for the totem mode feature
Rebelguy 11:37 PM - 31 October, 2015
Why would you want them always pointing at the dance floor? You wouldn't be able to see the gobos and somewhat ruins the point of having moving heads.
Joee 11:51 PM - 31 October, 2015
Watchwww.youtube.com

watch the video @ 4:20 the gobo are on the dance floor & you can see them clearly they project on the crowd & floor , i don't want the lights shining on the celling etc.

chauvet marketed the light as staying on the dance floor, thats what i was looking for having them move around the dance floor
DJ GaFFle 1:19 AM - 1 November, 2015
I wouldn't want 100% projection on the dance floor. The ceiling and walls can be seen by everyone. Auto-modes ate only give you so much. DMX controllers will give you exactly what you want.
Joee 1:31 AM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
I wouldn't want 100% projection on the dance floor. The ceiling and walls can be seen by everyone. Auto-modes ate only give you so much. DMX controllers will give you exactly what you want.

looking for stand alone lights ,i have ADJ Inno Spot LED & they do a better job dancing around the room & to the beat of the music (while they don't stay 100% on the dance floor) they stay around the dance floor & do a better job than the 255irc

remember i like to keep it simple the less i have to carry the better
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:51 PM - 1 November, 2015
Joee I think you miss understood what the the totem programming meant.

It is to keep the built in light show in front of you "dance floor" (floor, ceiling, left or right) if you are set up behind the moving heads.
Some djs, including me, does not like the light beam shooting at the DJ or back wall, unless it is required for the event.
But yes you are better off using dmx to control where you want the lights to aim at.

Built in programs sucks, you will enjoy it better with your own programming.
Joee 1:00 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Joee I think you miss understood what the the totem programming meant.

i think they marketed it wrong "• Beams always remain on the dance floor using the built-in, innovative Totem Mode"

Quote:
It is to keep the built in light show in front of you "dance floor" (floor, ceiling, left or right) if you are set up behind the moving heads.
Some djs, including me, does not like the light beam shooting at the DJ or back wall, unless it is required for the event.

i find pointing strait up or all the way left / right pointless like your standing at the light signaling a left / right hand turn …..

inno spot led's do a better job scanning the room
Quote:
Built in programs sucks, you will enjoy it better with your own programming.

dude i have an obey 70 & still haven't learn how to use it, trying to program it is like reading a language i don't understand , any tips on how to do so & get this light in sound mode or work the joystick?……..cause like you said the build in program suck, i want the light to dance around to the music ….not just change gobo to the beat
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:07 PM - 1 November, 2015
lol

trash that controller and get showxpress :P
I learned by watching youtube tutorials :)

I just read the manual, it has sound active mode and totem mode.
Can you activate both at the same time? maybe that is what you are looking for?

But if you can only choose one over the other, then you are better off with building your own program with showxpress
Joee 1:19 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
trash that controller and get showxpress :P

come on man……..lol

Quote:
I just read the manual, it has sound active mode and totem mode.
Can you activate both at the same time?

yes it's trash, i light doesn't really move with the music like i would like, it flashes & changes gobos to the beat

Quote:
But if you can only choose one over the other, then you are better off with building your own program with showxpress

i hope it's easier to program than the obey 70
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:30 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:

i hope it's easier to program than the obey 70

Of course the initial learning of the program is a pain, but once you get the hang of it, it is easy. Go download it, you can try it. Watch a couple youtube tutorials.
Joee 2:02 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Go download it, you can try it.

how? with no dmx box hardware?
DJ GaFFle 2:09 PM - 1 November, 2015
Yeah, you just need to get over the small learning curve with that DMX software. Once you do, you find yourself spending hours on creating creative issh with light shows.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:10 PM - 1 November, 2015
They have a 3d viewer. You can create light shows without your lights connected.

My first attempt 3 years ago.
Watchwww.youtube.com
lvmez 5:46 PM - 1 November, 2015
I use MYDMX 2.0 and also had trouble figuring it out. I can do basic scenes but it's time consuming. I paid someone to make me me scenes. It was worth the money.
Joee 5:54 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
I use MYDMX 2.0 and also had trouble figuring it out. I can do basic scenes but it's time consuming. I paid someone to make me me scenes. It was worth the money.

that's what i'm talking about, i wanted it to be a plug & play light, the adj inno pocket spot led is a great plug & play light with 4 built in programs, they way the light works in sound mode is so much better than the chauvet

the 255irc is brighter that 10W really makes a difference & has better looking gobos, if i can make the 255 do what the adj does i'll be happy
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:20 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:

the 255irc is brighter that 10W really makes a difference & has better looking gobos, if i can make the 255 do what the adj does i'll be happy

Again it is all about programming :)
Joee 6:39 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Again it is all about programming :)

i don't want that headache…….lol
DJFree 6:43 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:

i don't want that headache…….lol

Since you only want it on the floor....it'll be very easy to program that kind of show in ShowXpress...Up and Down....Left to Right....changing of gobos/colors.....less than 30 minutes.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:46 PM - 1 November, 2015
Send it down here and I'll program it :)

By the way, what mount are you using?
Joee 6:53 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
Send it down here and I'll program it :)

drive down form Baltimore ……haha

Quote:
By the way, what mount are you using?

this one
www.adj.com
Quote:
Since you only want it on the floor....it'll be very easy to program that kind of show in ShowXpress...Up and Down....Left to Right....changing of gobos/colors.....less than 30 minutes.

got it, all i would need is this? www.chauvetlighting.com
DJFree 6:58 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:

got it, all i would need is this? www.chauvetlighting.com

That would work BUT....it's only up to 100 DMX channels....you'll outgrow that in no time....just get the 512 box....check this video....it will help you understand. Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 7:46 PM - 1 November, 2015
just noticed the 100 channel one is pc only i couldn't run it anyway i don't own a pc
DJFree 7:49 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
just noticed the 100 channel one is pc only i couldn't run it anyway i don't own a pc

Oh shit........good find......welp.....welcome to the 512 club lol
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:49 PM - 1 November, 2015
Joe can you take a pic of the 255 on top of the evox12 sub?

trying to figure out what size the 255 is compared to the sub
Joee 11:59 PM - 1 November, 2015
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:12 AM - 2 November, 2015
Thanks.

I sold my Q-spot 260s which were 60watts as these 255s, which looks smaller/portable.

Those evox bags looks good. Mine should be here Tuesday,
Joee 12:16 AM - 2 November, 2015
i got it before you…..HA j/k
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:18 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
i got it before you…..HA j/k

All good! I was in a situation 3-4 months ago, but now I am back :P
Already sent Agiprodj my wishlist LOL
DJ Guayo 1:46 AM - 2 November, 2015
What about using luminair? Or is it o cumbersome to try to program on just an iPad?
lvmez 2:30 AM - 2 November, 2015
This looks interesting and user friendly. I'm looking to switch to this once it's out.

American DJ Airstream

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:22 AM - 2 November, 2015
^^chauvet has a similar product called Flarecon
DJ Guayo 4:46 AM - 2 November, 2015
Been peeping these here.

www.amazon.com
DJ GaFFle 9:34 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Been peeping these here.

www.amazon.com

Absolutely not. In that pretty picture, they fail to show you that each Tx and Rx unit requires power from the included AC biscuit. The AC biscuits usually have an awkward shape and won't fit on the uplight. You'll then have to find wall power for it or use some gangly extension.
DJ Guayo 1:32 PM - 2 November, 2015
Wouldn't that be case with most light fixtures though? Unless they have the wireless built in. Some light fixtures provide power via the DMX connection. Those are far and few in between. You will need to provide power to any fixture where the 'wireless' is not built in.
DJ GaFFle 2:09 PM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Wouldn't that be case with most light fixtures though? Unless they have the wireless built in. Some light fixtures provide power via the DMX connection. Those are far and few in between. You will need to provide power to any fixture where the 'wireless' is not built in.

Having to provide an IEC power cable to a wireless DMX light is one thing, but to have a silver Rx stick hanging out the edge + some thin power wire connected to a power biscuit plugged into the wall outlet is not what you want. The power wire on that AC biscuit will only be about 3ft long so you'll either have to power it from the uplight's 2nd three-pronged outlet (usually on the unit but not enough room to squeeze an awkward power biscuit and default IEC power cable) or have a small 3-prong-to-3-prong-female inlet to allow for room (another eye sore).

Not a good solution; been there, tried that. Just bite the bullet and go wireless or battery + wireless uplights.
DJ GaFFle 2:14 PM - 2 November, 2015
^^^ The only way it's a decent solution is if your uplight's output three-prong power connector is spaced far from the IEC power port. Usually, they're close together not giving room for you to use a power biscuit.
DJ Guayo 2:23 PM - 2 November, 2015
I see what you mean Gaffle. I was thinking about using the dongles for moving heads only. I would use one of these to go out from the moving head to give you the clearance you would need to plug in the power from the dongle and the ability to daisy chain power if needed.

www.monoprice.com

In regards to uplights. I agree, you would want a battery and wireless built in. Otherwise you would run it for every single light.
DJ GaFFle 2:37 PM - 2 November, 2015
Moving heads makes sense. I see them used with them all the time.
SELECT 3:53 PM - 2 November, 2015
Thanks for the review Joee! Super helpful. Definitely not what most people would be expecting from the new lights. I dont need them pointing at the dancefloor all night, but at least 75% of the time would be great. Seems like scanners are better suited. Anyhow moving heads are supposed to be above your head so it will never be ideal for mobile DJs who use them on totems. They project all over the place, above, below, front, back, etc. The dancefloor stays dark mostly, just not ideal. I have the 250 version and programming them takes so much time! They are also not sound active (mac) so i can never get them to move like they do in auto/sound active mode.

I have the wireless flarecon for my HEX4 uplights. Its really nice being able to change the color from my phone.
Taipanic 6:54 PM - 2 November, 2015
Responding late to this but this is what you want Joee. This controller is easy to use & wireless. It has built in patterns that are prebuilt for your lights, like circles, pans, strobes, etc... You can add those to a program or create your own movements. You can also set pan & tilt limits which is what you want to keep the beams on the dancefloor. Saw a demo at Infoconn.
Taipanic 7:00 PM - 2 November, 2015
I'll actually include the link this time:
www.adj.com
Joee 8:41 PM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
www.adj.com

i was actually thinking about that one, it seemed like a plug and play unit with preset show according to the reviews
Frankie Glasses 9:44 PM - 2 November, 2015
Joee, I have two of the 255 IRC's as well and totally agree with what you are saying. I had the ADJ Inno pocket spots and those had better programming than the IRC's. I sold the Inno Pocket spots because I wanted a brighter light and replaceable gobos.
I was sold on the totem mode but was disappointed omce i found out what it actually did and that the coveraqe wasnt primary in front of the light. Its all over! SHould be an option to adjust the tilt and pan coverage. The built in programming us just eh on the IRC's.

When i had the Inno's i purchased a dongle so that i could use a DMX program but it was a hassle bringing and setting up another computer, running DMX cables and do the the programming. I really dont want the hassles of DMX programming. I am always by myself and too cheap to pay a roadie.
Joee 9:53 PM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Joee, I have two of the 255 IRC's as well and totally agree with what you are saying. I had the ADJ Inno pocket spots and those had better programming than the IRC's. I sold the Inno Pocket spots because I wanted a brighter light and replaceable gobos.
I was sold on the totem mode but was disappointed omce i found out what it actually did and that the coveraqe wasnt primary in front of the light. Its all over! SHould be an option to adjust the tilt and pan coverage. The built in programming us just eh on the IRC's.

i didn't like the inno pocket spots because they weren't bright enough, i got the inno spot led's ……they are 50W put them upside down in show 3 & they stay around the dance floor, they do i nice job & they dance to the music real nice

the gobos are mehhh, but i found this place that has $11 steal gobos & $40 glass gobos

Quote:
When i had the Inno's i purchased a dongle so that i could use a DMX program but it was a hassle bringing and setting up another computer, running DMX cables and do the the programming. I really dont want the hassles of DMX programming. I am always by myself and too cheap to pay a roadie.

exactly, i want plug & play the inno spot led's are pretty nice for that, i'm thinking about stepping it up to inno spot pro's ,but they are a little bigger i think inno spot led's are perfect for mobiles
Joee 10:49 PM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
Thanks for the review Joee! Super helpful. Definitely not what most people would be expecting from the new lights. I dont need them pointing at the dancefloor all night, but at least 75% of the time would be great. Seems like scanners are better suited. Anyhow moving heads are supposed to be above your head so it will never be ideal for mobile DJs who use them on totems. They project all over the place, above, below, front, back, etc. The dancefloor stays dark mostly, just not ideal. I have the 250 version and programming them takes so much time! They are also not sound active (mac) so i can never get them to move like they do in auto/sound active mode.

I have the wireless flarecon for my HEX4 uplights. Its really nice being able to change the color from my phone.

you know were they missed up with that flarcon app! not being able to go sound active, unless it does & i just didn't know it……hope they update the app to be sound active so the uplites can go to the music

no problem on the review, if you wouldn't have said it i may have not done it, that totem mode was a letdown ….all chauvet has been doing is talking sh!t about why is doesn't work the way it's advertised
Taipanic 3:08 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
www.adj.com

i was actually thinking about that one, it seemed like a plug and play unit with preset show according to the reviews

What I seem to remember is that there are preset actions you can drag and drop into your scene like circle movements, pans, strobes, etc... - rather than having to program those step by step. You can limit the pan & tilt to have the beams stay where you want them. Easy enough to make a quick program to move a light to spot on dancefloor, cake, etc... Only need computer to make programming easier. Only saw a 5 minute demo but was impressed enough to consider picking one up when I get some better lighting.
Joee 3:12 PM - 3 November, 2015
cool thanks
O.B.1 5:01 PM - 4 November, 2015
DMX programming is really not that difficult, and actually kind of fun once you get past the initial learning curve. And it will truly help you get the most out of your fixtures by making them do EXACTLY what you want. I started on a Obey40 to learn the basics and upgraded to ShowXpress512 and it has taken my light show to the next level. There is a dedicated support group on fb for ShowXpress users that is super very helpful for beginners and experts.
B.Hollywood 7:43 PM - 4 November, 2015
Lol, Gobos.
B.Hollywood 7:59 PM - 4 November, 2015
There have been a number of discussions about interaction between DJ software and lighting.

How do you guys feel about this?

If there was a product that replaced a lighting controller would you use it? I mean, surely there must be some way to integrate DJ hardware/software with DMX lighting hardware.

Iv imagined a DAW style software that lets DJ's add lighting tracks to audio files that can be played back through DJ software.

While whole tracks might take time to script, i bet it would look great!

Backup systems such as creating loops, or clips like in Ableton that can sync to the beat grid in Serato would be cool too. You could have a playlist of lighting loops in 4,8,16,32 bar format that would cycle through in time with the beat gird.

The cross fader on your mixer/controller would chose which lighting show to play and the faders could be linked to intensity.

Just throwing around some ideas.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:32 PM - 4 November, 2015
I havent tried it but if a mixer is midi mappable you can map a cross fader to turn on a light. a button to change color.

It's just a lot of programming per song=light show

I remember watching a youtube vid that the light programmer embedded a tone signal in a song so it would trigger light shows and videos.
B.Hollywood 11:51 PM - 4 November, 2015
Iv always found it strange that people go to such lengths to create ways of syncing video to DJ audio when Serato Video and ME already do this.

Programming each song isn't realistic for your average club DJ but scripting you best 5-10 tracks is.

If an appropriate back system would play a preset lighting scene in sync with beat grids, that would allow users to script the highlights tracks in their set.
O.B.1 8:06 PM - 5 November, 2015
^That is an interesting idea and probably not too difficult to achieve. I currently MIDI map the live buttons in ShowXpress to a controller and with most of my lighting scenes arranged in a "4,8,16etc. count in the step editor, along with the tap tempo button the fixtures appear to respond pretty well along with the music when my hands are busy working the decks.
Also I mix music videos, so taking this idea even further would be to get the lights to "play nice" with certain video effects so as to allow the screens to become part of the light show with colors, strobes, ect.

(sorry to hi-jack the totem thread but these posts are getting my wheels turning!)
B.Hollywood 3:54 AM - 6 November, 2015
Difficulty in this regard is so what subjective, Id say it would take some resource and time to create a product that functions in this way.

I think if the product was developed and the idea of lighting scripted to music was implemented correctly it would be something DJ's would enjoy.

One day soon maybe.
SELECT 4:46 PM - 6 November, 2015
All the major clubs out here have lighting guys and they control the lights with a keyboard. Does anyone know what software or "keyboard" controller is common for this? I should have asked, anyhow Ive seen it a lot. Obviously its a midi controller, but Im not sure of how the lights are triggered.
SELECT 4:48 PM - 6 November, 2015
Well now that I looked, I guess you can use pretty much anything to control the lights-
Watchwww.youtube.com
B.Hollywood 3:13 AM - 13 November, 2015
Thats pretty cool
pdidy 3:47 AM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
DMX programming is really not that difficult, and actually kind of fun once you get past the initial learning curve.

I've attempted to learn it quite a few times but have finally given up in complete frustration and have finally accepted the fact that im too freakin stupid lol........
B.Hollywood 7:25 AM - 13 November, 2015
Hahaha, your not stupid man they are not very intuitive.

If someone combine an Ableton style work flow with DMX lighting.

That could work.
O.B.1 7:32 PM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
If someone combine an Ableton style work flow with DMX lighting.

The 'Timeline' feature in ShowXpress works very similar to a DAW/multitrack software in that it allows the user to arrange scenes/sequences along to exact changes in the selected audio file. Here is a video I made last year using timeline:

www.facebook.com
B.Hollywood 7:44 PM - 13 November, 2015
Yea iv seen showxpress. It's still not the best possible solution
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:15 PM - 13 November, 2015

What totem are you using? they are tiny.
O.B.1 7:51 PM - 14 November, 2015
Quote:

What totem are you using? they are tiny.

Those are mini box truss like the kind used to set up trade show booths. I brought out my real ones last night for a rap show:
www.facebook.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:01 PM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
Those are mini box truss like the kind used to set up trade show booths.

Have you tried the mini boxes at live shows?
They could be better for me than the full size totems :)
O.B.1 6:05 PM - 16 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Those are mini box truss like the kind used to set up trade show booths.

Have you tried the mini boxes at live shows?
They could be better for me than the full size totems :)

I have actually used them for live when stage space is limited and they work well:
www.facebook.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:10 PM - 16 November, 2015
Thanks! Care to share where you got them from? :)
Frankie Glasses 10:24 PM - 16 November, 2015
Quote:
Responding late to this but this is what you want Joee. This controller is easy to use & wireless. It has built in patterns that are prebuilt for your lights, like circles, pans, strobes, etc... You can add those to a program or create your own movements. You can also set pan & tilt limits which is what you want to keep the beams on the dancefloor. Saw a demo at Infoconn.

Just wanted to update some of you guys on this....
At the advice of Taipanic i went ahead and tried out this DMX controller (ADJ WiFly NE1) and went ahead with the WiFly transmitters instead of running DMX cables to the Intimidator 255IRC's.

After the initial setup, mainly configuring the light to the controller, i can say this is one of the best investments i have made recently. This makes this light so much better. It makes DMX programming so much easier now.

I used it Saturday for a wedding and made simple shows, such as fast moving strobing show for the grand entrance, garter & bouquet, spotlight on the cake for cutting of the cake and using an elegant gobo to shine on the dance floor for first dance,
Joee 10:28 PM - 16 November, 2015
nice……so it really made things easy for you .how long did it take to setup the lights to the controller?

does the light now work in sound mode the way that it should dancing to the music rather than changing colors / gobos to the beat?
Frankie Glasses 10:49 PM - 16 November, 2015
Well i made a new fixture profile in the fixture creator program for the NE1 before i even got the controller , as i would be pressed for time since i received the NE1 on Friday and the wedding was Saturday, but some functions didn't work properly. There is a Facebook support page for the NE1 controller and after poking around there and chatting with different people, I found a better fixture profile and was able to access all the functions of the light. So after that i was good. Only took a few minutes to get familiar with all the functions.

Initially, I couldn't access the sound mode and didn't have time research. I am planning to look into that to see if i can somehow make it work in sound mode. You can access the shows that are built-in to the light. think there is around 9 shows in AUTO mode.

What i did though was use one of the "effects" buttons, pre-programmed movements, as labeled on the controller to make a show for the dance part of the wedding. Just used the pre-progrmmed movements with slow rotating gobo and slow rotating color with prism effect and was satisfied with that. You can make the movements narrow or you can make the movements wide. Narrow=primarily on dance floor Wide=all over the room.
Joee 10:51 PM - 16 November, 2015
cool thanks
Frankie Glasses 10:57 PM - 16 November, 2015
Quote:
cool thanks

If you decide to purchase it, let me know and i can send you the fixture profile to save you time.
Joee 11:36 PM - 16 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
cool thanks

If you decide to purchase it, let me know and i can send you the fixture profile to save you time.

good looking…..thanks

i will probably buy the 255's again…..i returned them & got adj inno spot leds ,they are plug and play
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:50 PM - 16 November, 2015
Quote:
i will probably buy the 255's again…..i returned them

<facepalm>
:P
DJ Guayo 11:52 PM - 16 November, 2015
I'm getting getting to run Luminair 3, Chauvet 355z and Donner DMX Wireless. Shipment should arrive tomorrow. I will report back.

Luminair supports sound active and will use the either the microphone from the iPad or audio feed into the iPad.
Joee 11:53 PM - 16 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
i will probably buy the 255's again…..i returned them

<facepalm>
:P

wait why…….all damn

seriously tho those inno spot have good built in programs that dance to the music real nice

o & did i mention they are wireless
Frankie Glasses 7:38 PM - 17 November, 2015
But if you cant see them on the dance floor, what the point? Not bright enough to make them worthy of keeping. IMO
Joee 7:49 PM - 17 November, 2015
Quote:
But if you cant see them on the dance floor, what the point? Not bright enough to make them worthy of keeping. IMO

what light you talking about? inno spots are bright i can shine them @ my window on a bright sunny day & you will still see the gobo shining on the window shade

i have shades that let in all the light id say thats pretty bright, 255irc are even brighter
Frankie Glasses 7:55 PM - 17 November, 2015
my bad, was thinking of the inno pocket spots.
Joee 8:05 PM - 17 November, 2015
Quote:
my bad, was thinking of the inno pocket spots.

o yea they are trash if not in a dark room

peep the inno spots i know it looks dark in the room but trust me it's not, it's very bright the phone camera made it look dark

i1285.photobucket.com
Frankie Glasses 8:19 PM - 17 November, 2015
do you like them better than the Intimidator spot 255irc?
Joee 8:24 PM - 17 November, 2015
Quote:
do you like them better than the Intimidator spot 255irc?

the 255irc is better in every way

it's brighter has more gobos also includes two glass gobos also

where the 255irc falls short for me ….built in programs suck & sound mode they don't move to the beat like the inno spot led's do

adj has better built in shows……if you are going to use a dmx controller i would say get the 255…….if you are looking for a stand alone light look into the adj
Frankie Glasses 8:26 PM - 17 November, 2015
ok cool. yeah i have the 255's and now with the controller its dope!
Joee 11:26 PM - 17 November, 2015
Quote:

i would love to get these…..but it's more than i'm willing to spend on lights

they are hybrid moving heads….beam spot & wash in one light

www.adj.com
DJ GaFFle 12:46 AM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

www.adj.com

51 lbs per... negative!
Joee 1:29 AM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.adj.com

51 lbs per... negative!

you have a point the 355irc is 27lbs

but the new 455irc is 42lbs, the new adj looks like it will kill the new 455
DJ Guayo 1:17 PM - 18 November, 2015
I just took got a few minutes to setup a pair of 355z. I'm running them with the Enttec ODE, Apple Express, Donner Wireless DMX, and Luminair. This is my first run at DMX programming. I didn't have any problems getting the software to pick them up. Below is a quick vid I sent to my DJ buddy.

Watchwww.youtube.com

www.flickr.com
DJFree 3:37 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:

but the new 455irc is 42lbs, the new adj looks like it will kill the new 455

It should for almost a thousand more dollars.
Quote:
I just took got a few minutes to setup a pair of 355z. I'm running them with the Enttec ODE, Apple Express, Donner Wireless DMX, and Luminair. This is my first run at DMX programming. I didn't have any problems getting the software to pick them up. Below is a quick vid I sent to my DJ buddy.

Watchwww.youtube.com

www.flickr.com

Those 355's are tough. Ready to pull mine back out next year. I may pull the trigger on those Donner sticks too....just wish they were battery operated.
DJ Guayo 3:40 PM - 18 November, 2015
Just patch one of these on there. Power for the Donner stick and an extra outlet.

www.monoprice.com
DJFree 3:52 PM - 18 November, 2015
Good idea! I'm also eyeing a few of these.
www.adj.com
pdidy 5:38 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Well that's 21 seconds I will never get back.......lol
Joee 5:50 PM - 18 November, 2015
trying to work this thing is like reading chinese

i1285.photobucket.com

is there even an instruction manual?
pdidy 6:01 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:

i1285.photobucket.com

Did you pay for that ? You know damn well we are not the DMX programming type........... we are strictly plug-and-play point and shoot. I GOT ENOUGH SHIT TO DO ALREADY.
DJ Guayo 6:07 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com
Well that's 21 seconds I will never get back.......lol

lol.... I'm still working on programming. I can get one light to exactly what i want (set boundaries, fan, change colors etc.)and setup different scenes. I'm working on getting the other light to mirror.
Joee 6:09 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Did you pay for that ? You know damn well we are not the DMX programming type........... we are strictly plug-and-play point and shoot. I GOT ENOUGH SHIT TO DO ALREADY.

hahahaha……..this is true

ordered monday going to give it a try …….but so far it's not looking good……lol
Joee 6:10 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
I'm working on getting the other light to mirror.

pan & tilt inversion wouldn't that do it?
DJ Guayo 6:16 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yes it would. I set it on the moving head and it worked fine but i want to control it via the software to have more flexibility.
DJFree 6:21 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes it would. I set it on the moving head and it worked fine but i want to control it via the software to have more flexibility.

ShowXpress does this without breaking a sweat :-)
DJFree 6:21 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:

i1285.photobucket.com

www.youtube.com
Have fun.
Joee 6:30 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

i1285.photobucket.com

www.youtube.com
Have fun.

lol……thanks

but something tells me it's not going to be fun……..lol
pdidy 6:39 PM - 18 November, 2015
Well ive pretty much excepted the fact that I am dmx illiterate and if I choose to control lighting this will likely be my only option...... Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:57 PM - 18 November, 2015
Telling you guys. Showxpress is the way to go. I hated DMX too but once i got on xpress it was so easy to setup.
Scully DJ Services 7:12 PM - 18 November, 2015
ShowXpress is the truth. Have been working one my show for the past few days for some chinese 60w moving heads and 10 LED PAR38s. It is definitely a learning curve, but is SO much better and easier to use than a traditional controller.
Joee 7:37 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
ShowXpress is the truth. Have been working one my show for the past few days for some chinese 60w moving head

these by any chance www.aliexpress.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:08 PM - 18 November, 2015
I had the chauvet Qspot260 and 2 Chinese version of it. they both work the same but the chinese version had wireless dmx.
Scully DJ Services 8:20 PM - 18 November, 2015
Yeah same light. Will be purchasing from an ebay seller though for just under 500.
Joee 8:53 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Yeah same light. Will be purchasing from an ebay seller though for just under 500.

what do you think about it? i was actually considering them because of the $500 for two price 60W and two gobo wheels

do the have a built in program that won't shine light behind you? or is a dmx controller a must for these lights?
O.B.1 11:37 PM - 18 November, 2015
Congrats Joee on your purchase of the 512plus! I recommend joining the fb group of ShowXpress users.
Joee 12:23 AM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
Congrats Joee on your purchase of the 512plus! I recommend joining the fb group of ShowXpress users.

thank you sir…….i'm not looking forward to it…….lol

but we can't stay in the past…..learning new technology is a mush in this business
DJ Guayo 3:39 AM - 19 November, 2015
Here you go pdidy. Just for you. Lol

youtu.be
pdidy 3:49 AM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:

youtu.be

Well gat Damm OK.....im impressed now you got my attention.... Thanks for the shout out lol.

Now can you explain to me how you're doing it and what's required ?
Arjun B 5:11 AM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
but something tells me it's not going to be fun……..lol
Show Xpress is hands down amazing. Yes I know you all have other shit to do, but even a little bit of time spent with the tutorials posted by DJFree will get you over the initial learning curve. You won't regret it.

I just bought 4 355z's along with the ShowXpress. I'm glad I did.
DJ Guayo 5:18 AM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

Well gat Damm OK.....im impressed now you got my attention.... Thanks for the shout out lol.

Here you go pdidy. These are hardware components you need

youtu.be
pdidy 5:34 AM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

Here you go pdidy. These are hardware components you need

youtu.be

excellent, so what the app you're using on ipad and is it free ?
DJ Guayo 2:32 PM - 19 November, 2015
The ipad/iphone app is Luminair and cost $80. There is a learning curve. My plan is to learn to program a few scenes adjust shows per gig and let them run.
DJ Guayo 3:57 PM - 8 December, 2015
So I was finally able to give my 355z a go with Luminair a go. I had no issues with the wireless dmx sticks. The one downside i had for the event was that my Glo Totems didnt arrive in time so i wasnt able to set them up high. Either way, the gig was for a family friend and they werent even expecting the lights. I figured what better way to test them out and not have a client pissed off if they didnt work.

One thing i learned, program, program, program. Make sure to have scenes available for slow, medium and fast songs. Also set a scene for blackout to be able to turn them off at will. I also have a strobe effect available to trigger at any point. I didnt get a chance to take pics or video but will shoot one soon.
DJ Tracktion 4:20 PM - 8 December, 2015
Quote:
Make sure to have scenes available for slow, medium and fast songs. Also set a scene for blackout to be able to turn them off at will. I also have a strobe effect available to trigger at any point.

+1, exactly how the lights are set-up on one of the mobile rigs I use. We also have a standard fade scene for the facade/uplights with the movers off for down-times (dinner, etc)
musicmaestro 2:28 AM - 27 December, 2015
Quote:
looking for stand alone lights ,i have ADJ Inno Spot LED & they do a better job dancing around the room & to the beat of the music (while they don't stay 100% on the dance floor) they stay around the dance floor & do a better job than the 255irc

remember i like to keep it simple the less i have to carry the better

I had the Inno Spot LED movers and have to agree that the four built in shows are quite good, especially the way they react to-the-beat, as mentioned. One of the modes is basically a 'totem mode'. The nice thing about their built in programs is that they merely don't just copy each other like the Chauvet Intimidator does; BORING. Instead they offer contrasting movements and gobos at times in addition to sometimes copying the other fixture; very nice! Plenty bright enough for me as you can see in this 9000 sq ft hall.

Watchwww.youtube.com

I had to return them, however, because the gobo would not turn slowly enough for my needs and they 'sang'. Check out the video. If they remade them with better quality stepper motors, I would re-buy them in a heart beat. I suggested it to them but nada...

Watchwww.youtube.com

I really haven't seen any Chauvet mover with built-in programs / shows as good as the Inno Spot LED. They just kind of wave up and down and pretty much SUCK!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:49 AM - 7 January, 2016
My new moving heads and wireless battery uplights.

www.instagram.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:50 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:

www.instagram.com

correction: Dmx wireless moving head also :)
Joee 12:35 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:

www.instagram.com

i was actually thinking about getting a pair of those china moving heads , how do they compare to some of the others you've owned? do they dance well to the music?

fyi.you beat me to the uplights……lol, I've been looking at these www.kpodj.com
Joee 12:45 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
do they dance well to the music?

in sound mode
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:12 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

in sound mode

Here ya go and let me know what you think?
www.instagram.com

Sound sensitivity is adjustable.
Again I prefer to program the show but these seems to dance around good via sound/slave mode

I will try to upload a longer vid on youtube.
Joee 11:25 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

in sound mode

Here ya go and let me know what you think?
www.instagram.com

Sound sensitivity is adjustable.
Again I prefer to program the show but these seems to dance around good via sound/slave mode

I will try to upload a longer vid on youtube.

nice, I've been looking at these www.aliexpress.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:17 AM - 29 January, 2016
Showxpress triggered by Akai APC Mini

www.instagram.com
Come on Joee learn it :)
pdidy 1:20 AM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:
Showxpress triggered by Akai APC Mini

www.instagram.com
Come on Joee learn it :)

You guys need some help in properly showing off your gear :(
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:44 AM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:

Nothing exciting really to show :)
Ive given links to Joee on Showxpress tutorials including this apc mini.
pdidy 2:48 AM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

C'mon we're gear whores, show the lights, hit a button or two....I wonna see gear porn damit !
O.B.1 10:29 PM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

C'mon we're gear whores, show the lights, hit a button or two....I wonna see gear porn damit !

Here is a little demo of a lighting package I put together:
www.facebook.com
pdidy 10:46 PM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.facebook.com

That's very impressive
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:52 PM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:

www.facebook.com

What are those hanging moving heads? Thinking of getting the Intimidator Trios
O.B.1 7:56 PM - 30 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
www.facebook.com

They are the Intimidator Wash/Zoom 350 fixtures.
Taipanic 3:05 PM - 1 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
www.facebook.com

Nice video, lights look great.
Who does the Sabbath remix?
Frankie Glasses 6:04 PM - 1 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
www.facebook.com

Disposable War Pigs - Celldweller Klash-Up
Taipanic 6:13 PM - 1 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
www.facebook.com

Disposable War Pigs - Celldweller Klash-Up

Awesome, thanks!
teemac111 1:22 AM - 6 May, 2017
Quote:

you know were they missed up with that flarcon app! not being able to go sound active, unless it does & i just didn't know it……hope they update the app to be sound active so the uplites can go to the music

no problem on the review, if you wouldn't have said it i may have not done it, that totem mode was a letdown ….all chauvet has been doing is talking sh!t about why is doesn't work the way it's advertised
Quote:

They finally got an update and added a lot more features to Flarecon
teemac111 2:20 AM - 6 May, 2017
Quote:

www.instagram.com

Are these lights still holding up for you?
slatteryp 9:08 PM - 7 December, 2017
I have bought a pair of Chauvette Intimidator 255 IRC spots and have fitted them with some new gobos (2 x steel and 1x glass) in each. How can I index the gobo position. Each time I cue the fixture the static gobos often display in a random rotation and if I have cue the fixture to different gobos in a series of cues when I return the gobo is projected upside down. My history of using fixtures like the old Mac 500s allowed me to index the gobo position which is what you need for static gobos (logos images etc)
Certified Quality Entertainment 9:22 PM - 8 December, 2017
I don’t think that fixture has gobo indexing. I think the 350 series and above has it but not below
Robbie O 8:11 PM - 9 December, 2017
What is gobo indexing? Assuming it is controlling which gobo is used?