Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Dj on MAC and PC and sharing an external Drive

D Jay Cee 5:45 AM - 28 October, 2015
OK..so I have a MBP that works awesome...but I need to prepare for that one day wnhe it may crash for some reason and it will take forever to get repaired. I already have 2 win7 systems that I can use (I actually started with them before I went Mac).
I need to make sure my external drive can be read by all systems without issues. I was directed toward MacDrive 10. anyone else out there have experience with my set up and the software?
I looked around on the forums and the newest info I found was from 2006.....to old to even take seriously.
Dj MacMillz 5:53 AM - 28 October, 2015
Format in Fat32 or exFAT, back up if any files on there of course.

No special software needed on either machine... Read/write capabilities on both systems.

Audio files only I'm assuming, otherwise the only issue will be the 4gb per file size limitation with Fat32 format.

Good luck
D Jay Cee 6:02 AM - 28 October, 2015
Does the format cause any latency on either OS?
pdidy 6:29 AM - 28 October, 2015
Go with exfat it's more stable.
D Jay Cee 7:22 AM - 28 October, 2015
I thought i read That ex FAT was Only for windows and Linux
D Jay Cee 7:30 AM - 28 October, 2015
btw the external drive is HDD
pdidy 8:39 AM - 28 October, 2015
Exfat is Windows and Mac I also use Windows and Mac with my ex fat external hard drive. Doesn't matter if it's hdd.
pdidy 8:50 AM - 28 October, 2015
In fact my 2 TB external hard drive is partitioned three ways.

Windows backup/Mac backup/exfat for serato music. FYI.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 9:38 PM - 28 October, 2015
Exfat is supported on both windows and mac. It was created as a follow up to the ever popular Fat32 format. This article is pretty good for summarising the differences between the two: www.differencebetween.net

Basically Fat32 has greater limitations in terms of file and partition size. Initially exfat was supported on less platforms but is becoming more popular.

If you need the drive just for your Serato library and switching between Windows and Mac, Exfat is probably the way to go moving forward. If you are gonna be using the drive with other platforms like consoles or media servers etc then Fat32 may be better.

GG
D Jay Cee 5:21 AM - 29 October, 2015
just what i needed to hear...thanks