Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Analyze Files While Hardware Connected

MarcCollier 1:58 PM - 27 October, 2015
I was scanning through but can't finde a answer to that...
Is it possible (some how) to analyze audiofiles while you are NOT in offline mode??
I know it's not recommended because of performance issues and stuff- i'm asking because i was right in the middle of a set and find out that some of my latest tracks where not analyzed (no key infos etc...) and just want to do a quick analyze of some files- so disconnecting the hardware is not an option ;-)
skinnyguy 6:39 PM - 27 October, 2015
If you load a track to a deck, it will analyze while being played. If you have the option in settings checked, it will analyze the entire track while being played. If not, then it will only analyze the area a few seconds before/after your current point and move along as the song plays.

No way to do bulk analyzing while connected. It would be assumed you are currently dj-ing and that would just be too cpu-intensive to have multiple analyzations AND dj-ing.
DutchOne2000 2:48 AM - 28 April, 2018
If the CPU spike is an issue, you'd think the 64bit version (i.e. Serato DJ PRO) would be able to handle it. Or at least make that feature available and then use at your own risk...knowing you might suffer degraded performance while the analysis takes place.

This is a feature that should be make available if only because analyzing while the hardware is connected is much easier and feature rich. For example, I can manipulate the decks in Analysis mode, not when the HD is disconnected.

Com'on Serato DJ Pro 64 bit, get with the program!
Fenix Aoras 8:33 PM - 10 June, 2019
I'm also interested by this feature.
The only way I got was to open Scratch Live (while playing with Serato DJ), and from there I could analize the track (key+bpm). But would be nice an analizing mode online, just for few tracks
dj_soo 2:55 AM - 11 June, 2019
Have you seen the hit to cpu and fan speed when you’re analyzing tracks?

Guarantee that the same people demanding this would immediately start bitching when their audio was dropping out all over the place and the GUI was freezing if they ever implemented it.

Turn on analyze on load and it’ll eventually analyze everything after a few seconds. The only thing that doesn’t immediately show is autogain which requires reloading the track to implement.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:59 AM - 11 June, 2019
Quote:
Have you seen the hit to cpu and fan speed when you’re analyzing tracks?

Guarantee that the same people demanding this would immediately start bitching when their audio was dropping out all over the place and the GUI was freezing if they ever implemented it.

Turn on analyze on load and it’ll eventually analyze everything after a few seconds. The only thing that doesn’t immediately show is autogain which requires reloading the track to implement.

Exactly.
HK1200 4:29 PM - 11 June, 2019
I'd be happy with a software toggle, just so I don't have to constantly unplug my sl box. Less wear and tear.
david07 7:40 PM - 11 June, 2019
what is usually done is to analyze everything before or the clues that will be used
YZ 7:58 PM - 11 June, 2019
Quote:
I know it's not recommended because of performance issues and stuff

Which is why they don't allow it so to answer your question, No.
djCable 8:20 AM - 23 July, 2019
This is a legitimate feature that Serato DJ should have. Other softwares can do it, theres no reason SDJ couldn’t implement this. Just limit it to analyzing one track at a time or something. The software can play 4 decks or more at once so it should be able to analyze indivividual files while in 2 deck mode or something, on a one by one basis
melman 4:29 PM - 23 July, 2019
+1
DJ Tecniq 5:26 PM - 23 July, 2019
You guys are crazy i would never trust this in anyway especially if music is playing while you’re analyzing files...bad idea and huge cpu load. The smart thing to do is to analyze all your files before your gigs. This is asking for trouble and SDJ’s GUI is laggish as it is.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:04 PM - 23 July, 2019
Quote:
You guys are crazy i would never trust this in anyway especially if music is playing while you’re analyzing files...bad idea and huge cpu load. The smart thing to do is to analyze all your files before your gigs. This is asking for trouble and SDJ’s GUI is laggish as it is.

I don't always agree with you, but you are dead right.
Rumber 2:52 AM - 27 October, 2019
Just tested this theory of analyzing taking a huge CPU hit.
I find that this will vary depending on your actual computer hardware.
I am using a Ryzen 5 2600 with 16GB of ram.
Just ran an analysis of my entire library and my CPU only max hit around 30-40%
Ram sitting at 44%

This theory of the CPU/RAM being a limiting factor of why this isn't a feature doesn't hold up at all. I will admit that if you are using older computers than yeah I can see the issue but with the way computer performance is getting better and better... no...
Like others have said, it should be added with the note of use at your own risk and performance will be degraded depending on your computer hardware.
YZ 4:28 PM - 29 October, 2019
Bad idea.
david07 4:48 PM - 5 November, 2019
That is a desktop configuration, and many DJs use their laptops together with serato, so it is a bad idea to do that and also absurd because the tracks have always been analyzed before
Rumber 5:30 PM - 16 November, 2019
Doesn't matter if i'm using a laptop or a desktop, there are a LOT of laptops that have the same specs as I listed above so no that's not a reason.

Okay so let me lay out this scenario for you.
I'm at home practicing with my hardware plugged in, I tab over to beatport or whatever and buy a new song OR have a song already downloaded and I drag it in to serato.
To analyse the file I have to power off my hardware in the middle of practice, analyse, then turn it back on and then use it...
Come on is this really what I need to do?
Rumber 5:36 PM - 16 November, 2019
Better yet, this scenario.
I'm playing a live gig, someone requests a song that I don't have, I have the time to go on wifi and download it. wooops I can't analyse the song without turning off my hardware during the gig
Granted I can get along just fine without analyzing and just adjust the gain and beat grid manually but we are talking about a quality of life thing here. It shouldn't be that damn hard to analyse a song with hardware plugged in
musiclee 6:06 PM - 16 November, 2019
How about allowing you to analyze IF AND ONLY IF
there is no track playing???

Wouldn’t that make sense??

Or have an option in the menu to allow or not allow with controller plugged....with a warning,
this way YOU choose whether you want to risk any “skipping” etc. while analyzing.
This will ensure EVERYONE gets what they want, not just half of us

I agree, having to disconnect hardware just to analyze is not ideal at all!!
Rumber 6:16 PM - 16 November, 2019
Quote:

Or have an option in the menu to allow or not allow with controller plugged....with a warning,
this way YOU choose whether you want to risk any “skipping” etc. while analyzing.
This will ensure EVERYONE gets what they want, not just half of us

That's all im asking for here is the have the option the do it if you want to risk it, the freedom to use the software the way you want at your own risk. If shit goes wrong it's on you, not serato but if it helps you during a gig then big ups to serato for allowing you to do it

Thank you musiclee
dj_soo 7:22 PM - 16 November, 2019
Quote:
I'm playing a live gig, someone requests a song that I don't have, I have the time to go on wifi and download it. wooops I can't analyse the song without turning off my hardware during the gig
Granted I can get along just fine without analyzing and just adjust the gain and beat grid manually but we are talking about a quality of life thing here. It shouldn't be that damn hard to analyse a song with hardware plugged in

As soon as you load the song onto a deck, it’ll analyze. The only thing that doesn’t set is the auto gain, and you just have to reload it on the deck to get it to set
musiclee 4:22 AM - 18 November, 2019
Best option is to show analyze button always
With or without hardware
But only let you analyze when both decks or shall I say
all 4 decks are stopped
Then what are you risking ? Nothing will skip
You don’t have to disconnect your hardware just to analyze a song or a few songs.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:46 AM - 18 November, 2019
It could be a performance mode analysis Ie limited to one track instead of the 4/8 tracks simultaneously
musiclee 1:59 PM - 18 November, 2019
My idea is the best!!!

Analyze always when NO track is playing either connected or disconnected

Or if unplugged >> analyze anytime, playing or not
If Plugged >>> analyze only when all decks stopped
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:57 PM - 18 November, 2019
Quote:
My idea is the best!!!

Says you lol.

Mine is better than best lol
musiclee 3:37 PM - 18 November, 2019
just add option in settings to allow with hardware connected/disconnected

simple.....done!!
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:18 PM - 18 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

As soon as you load the song onto a deck, it’ll analyze. The only thing that doesn’t set is the auto gain, and you just have to reload it on the deck to get it to set

Say it again, I think they missed this.
Rumber 2:11 AM - 12 December, 2019
Pulled from a youtube video comparing Virtual DJ 2020 to serato.

"Dj Ricky
2 months ago
Virtual dj can analyze and tag ur music immideately while still playing, but u will need to plug out before you can do same on serato

Replies
dj FRiTZo
2 months ago
VDJ hands down for ease of use and convenience"

Ouch,
I even recently installed VDJ to try it out and wow, I'm impressed with what it can do.
chason 3:25 AM - 12 December, 2019
Coming from a decade+ of Traktor usage, this is a whole pallet of dicks. I found this thread on google because I thought something was broken.

>As soon as you load the song onto a deck, it’ll analyze. The only thing that doesn’t set is the auto gain, and you just have to reload it on the deck to get it to set

Let's say I forgot to import an album and want to play a song off of it that's close to the current BPM... I have to drag every single one in so I can sort that album by BPM?

>But only let you analyze when both decks or shall I say all 4 decks are stopped Then what are you risking ? Nothing will skip

Still sucks but it's a step in the right direction. Even if Serato's POV is "analyzing while playing is dangerous and we want to baby proof everything" I don't see what they have to lose by implementing it this way

It is absolutely ridiculous that when practicing and putting together a set I have to unplug my hardware to analyze files
musiclee 4:07 AM - 12 December, 2019
Yep yep.

Analyze if and only if all decks stopped
Or analyze at your own risk with decks playing
Maddawg 4:16 PM - 14 April, 2020
Quote:
Yep yep.

Analyze if and only if all decks stopped
Or analyze at your own risk with decks playing

Yes I agree with both you. Serato, please add the option.
Andy Foster 11:33 PM - 17 April, 2020
just came from traktor, hard to believe serato cant do this???
musiclee 3:18 AM - 18 April, 2020
Yep yep
Makes no sense to have to disconnect
djbillgates 12:44 PM - 21 April, 2020
how hard is it to just analyze your new songs before your gig?
Angelo2019 11:13 PM - 22 April, 2020
what is the reason for this choice?
Andy Foster 10:21 AM - 23 April, 2020
for tunes you forgot to analyse, for tunes that you grabbed at your gig.
popnwave 1:24 PM - 23 April, 2020
Quote:

just load the track on the deck if you need it done. it's about resources and not taking away from priorities (playing the music) because prep wasn't done ahead of time.
Maddawg 4:38 PM - 10 June, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

just load the track on the deck if you need it done. it's about resources and not taking away from priorities (playing the music) because prep wasn't done ahead of time.

It doesn't always work for me when I load the track. I have to disconnect to analyze. This is why I want the option.
vboyd666 8:34 PM - 10 June, 2020
Quote:
If the CPU spike is an issue, you'd think the 64bit version (i.e. Serato DJ PRO) would be able to handle it. Or at least make that feature available and then use at your own risk...knowing you might suffer degraded performance while the analysis takes place.

This is a feature that should be make available if only because analyzing while the hardware is connected is much easier and feature rich. For example, I can manipulate the decks in Analysis mode, not when the HD is disconnected.

Com'on Serato DJ Pro 64 bit, get with the program!

Analyzing files is not a 64-bit thing. It is a multi-core processor type of thing. If you have a 2 core processor you can analyze 2 files at once. If you have a 8-core processor you can analyze 8 files at once. There is no spare core to run performance playback.
skinnyguy 8:29 PM - 11 June, 2020
Quote:
It doesn't always work for me when I load the track. I have to disconnect to analyze. This is why I want the option.

It has to be analyzed, whether itʻs done beforehand or during. So the program knows what to play. If you meant that the entire waveform isnʻt being built as itʻs being played, there is an option for that.

If you donʻt analyze beforehand and prefer it being done while connected to hardware at a gig while the song is playing, you can check that option. One option is to analyze the entire track upon loading. Youʻll see the entire waveform being made, but may tax your cpu for that time. Other option is to analyze only where the area that is being played. Only taxes your cpu while that track is being played. Youʻll only see waveforms on the areas that have been played. If you want to skip ahead, there will be a brief break in sound since the file hasnʻt been read in that area before and serato will have to analyze a few seconds before. Skratching will take a hit since it doesnʻt know what data to buffer. If I remember right, itʻll analyze a bit more of whatʻs ahead first, before analyzing a bit of whatʻs behind (in case you want to skratch).
Maddawg 5:27 PM - 26 December, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

It has to be analyzed, whether itʻs done beforehand or during. So the program knows what to play. If you meant that the entire waveform isnʻt being built as itʻs being played, there is an option for that.

If you donʻt analyze beforehand and prefer it being done while connected to hardware at a gig while the song is playing, you can check that option. One option is to analyze the entire track upon loading. Youʻll see the entire waveform being made, but may tax your cpu for that time. Other option is to analyze only where the area that is being played. Only taxes your cpu while that track is being played. Youʻll only see waveforms on the areas that have been played. If you want to skip ahead, there will be a brief break in sound since the file hasnʻt been read in that area before and serato will have to analyze a few seconds before. Skratching will take a hit since it doesnʻt know what data to buffer. If I remember right, itʻll analyze a bit more of whatʻs ahead first, before analyzing a bit of whatʻs behind (in case you want to skratch).

Again, this doesn't always work for me that is why I want the option.
skinnyguy 9:11 PM - 27 December, 2020
If you need it right now, then youʻll want to use VDJ. I believe VDJ has the ability to batch analyze while playing back. Serato doesnʻt.

Perhaps they can re-write something while making it compatible for the M1 chip. Their priority has always been stability during a performance so I donʻt think they want to jeopardize that by sacrificing cpu power, being a cpu intensive program.

But for all we know, it could be in the works but not a high priority. Maybe if more people wanted it too? Iʻm sure thereʻs still features that have been highly requested when it was still ScratchLive that are still on the backburner.
nilre 9:16 AM - 28 December, 2020
The performance argument for not doing analysis while playing is bogus.

On all modern operating systems processes/threads have priorities. So, a thread doing track analysis can run on a low priority, which means that it can only run when no higher priority threads want to use the CPU. This way track analysis will not disturb deck playback.

On a low end machine it might mean that the track analysis thread would get very few resources (CPU/RAM) which would make analysis slow.

Performance is not the reason for not offering bulk analysis while a controller is connected.
Maddawg 5:33 PM - 28 December, 2020
Quote:
If you need it right now, then youʻll want to use VDJ. I believe VDJ has the ability to batch analyze while playing back. Serato doesnʻt.

Perhaps they can re-write something while making it compatible for the M1 chip. Their priority has always been stability during a performance so I donʻt think they want to jeopardize that by sacrificing cpu power, being a cpu intensive program.

But for all we know, it could be in the works but not a high priority. Maybe if more people wanted it too? Iʻm sure thereʻs still features that have been highly requested when it was still ScratchLive that are still on the backburner.

I agree that's why I replied to the post. Thank you!
Maddawg 5:35 PM - 28 December, 2020
Quote:
The performance argument for not doing analysis while playing is bogus.

On all modern operating systems processes/threads have priorities. So, a thread doing track analysis can run on a low priority, which means that it can only run when no higher priority threads want to use the CPU. This way track analysis will not disturb deck playback.

On a low end machine it might mean that the track analysis thread would get very few resources (CPU/RAM) which would make analysis slow.

Performance is not the reason for not offering bulk analysis while a controller is connected.

Good to hear a tech reason for this being possible.
>_> 6:29 AM - 10 December, 2022
"I’ve had quite a few occasions where I would need to reanalyze songs, especially when preparing sets. The single biggest dumb-a$% design decision from Serato is that you have to unplug your gear to use analysis."

- some person on reddit

www.reddit.com

>it's about resources and not taking away from priorities (playing the music) because prep wasn't done ahead of time.

Say I'm playing a set, someone requests an artist, I download a couple albums but gosh, I don't know which tunes might fit. In Traktor I can analyze the albums and sort by bpm to satisfy this request

Which brings up an interesting point... how is that Traktor, Mixxx, Virtual DJ, (and Rekordbox?) are so amazingly resource efficient that they can handle this but Serato can't?

Mixxx is free and open source software so perhaps Serato could look around and borrow some code if they need help

I have bulk analyzed in Traktor while playing literally thousands of times, and I even check the "analyze using multiple cores" button (in a live performance setting they recommend you analyze using only one processor core to make sure your live performance isn't affected but I'm impatient and have not once ran into an issue)

I'm sick of the "performance" argument. It's not valid

Scratch Live was around 3 years before the very first iPhone... and it was a whole new software so they had to make it absolutely flawless cause their reputation was on the line. Well it's 18 years later, the company has a ton more resources, and computing has simply changed. There is zero excuse why I shouldn't have a "risk it for the biscuit" button

What other piece of hardware do you have to constantly plug and unplug to use? Total insanity. I can't even hide all the wires in the studio properly cause of this foolishness

Would love to hear an official comment <3
metroplex2005 4:13 PM - 10 December, 2022
Quote:
Would love to hear an official comment <3

It's got electrolytes.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:53 PM - 10 December, 2022
Quote:
Traktor, Mixxx, Virtual DJ, (and Rekordbox?)

If they can all do it then why waste your time with Serato? Just go play on them. Problem solved.
metroplex2005 12:28 AM - 11 December, 2022
Quote:
If they can all do it then why waste your time with Serato? Just go play on them. Problem solved.

+1