DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato Scratch Live + TTM57 + El Capitan

djbizz 1:57 PM - 12 October, 2015
Can we get an ETA or update on the compatibility of these tree working together? I understand upgrading is not supported, but I don't know where to go to check if there is any fixes or releases on the site. Even if there is a thread that is dedicated to this, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:05 PM - 12 October, 2015
Hey Bizz,

Serato is no longer updating Scratch Live and Rane is no longer making/updating the TTM57sl.
You will need to continue to use 10.8 or 10.9 if you want to use your 57 with Scratch Live.
pondy 5:28 PM - 13 October, 2015
Workaround: just delete this file: SeratoScratchDriver.kext

under Macintosh HD > System > Library > Extensions
Deejaysk 1:14 AM - 14 October, 2015
@djbizz Have you tried this workaround mentioned from Pondy ?
djbizz 6:05 PM - 15 October, 2015
I will tonight. @pondy, did this definitely work for you?
pondy 12:14 AM - 16 October, 2015
@djblizz

Yes, I tested it on two installs of el capitan, a clean and upgrade from yosemite.

Both worked without issue, you can always rename the file or restore from trash if you feel like breaking SSL again :)
djbizz 12:42 AM - 16 October, 2015
It didn't work just now wit a delete of the file on El Capitan. I have the original. Am i missing something?? I could really use the help. Thanks @pondy my email is djbizz@gmail.com and I would like to www.teamviewer.com my desktop if you can look at it and tell me what I missed.
djbizz 12:44 AM - 16 October, 2015
My build number is 25011
djbizz 6:40 PM - 16 October, 2015
It worked once then stopped
Mixico 1:34 AM - 7 November, 2015
I am having the same trouble. I have a macbook pro i7 with ttm and have always had trouble getting my ttm to connect. I have tried everything listed and still get disconnected on serato
Stevie_D 11:51 PM - 7 November, 2015
Hi guys,

I have Serato Scratch Live 2.5 and a Rane TTM57 - I just upgraded to OSX El Capitan (accidentally- yes I know, a HUGE mistake) and now Serato is not working.

Some people are saying that Scratch Live DOES work with El Capitan- but mine does not. I tried deleting the SeratoScratchDriver.kext file and that did not work. Besides downgrading back to Yosemite are there any other options?

Thanks for any help.
edenterrorist 1:31 AM - 14 November, 2015
This Fix/Workaround might work for you guys...

After I deleted SeratoScratchDriver.kext and got my 57SL working with Scratch Live on El Capitan I then decided to install all the other drivers that come with the package and somehow screwed my whole workaround up and for some reason I found I couldn't fresh reinstall Scratch Live so...

1.) Download Scratch Live again.
2.) Restart your Mac holding down Command-R until the Apple logo appears.
3.) From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
4.) In the Terminal window, type this:

csrutil disable

5.) Press Enter/Return. This turns off the part of SIP that will let you run a fresh Scratch Live install again.
6.) Type reboot and press Enter/Return to restart your Mac.
7.) After the restart you can install Scratch Live.

NOW IMPORTANT

8.) Restart again once you install holding down Command-R until the Apple logo appears.
9.) From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
10.) In the Terminal window, type this:

csrutil enable

11.) Press Enter/Return. This turns back on the part of SIP you disabled temporarily.

11a.) I can't remember if I then deleted SeratoScratchDriver.kext again from Macintosh HD > System > Library > Extensions or just moved on to step 12.

12.) Turn on your 57SL and plug in the USB.
13.) Launch Scratch Live and hopefully you're back in action like I was, I'll update if this method stops working at some point.

Cheers Tim on a...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Running OSX El Capitan - Version 10.11.1
Stevie_D 2:02 AM - 14 November, 2015
edenterrorist!!!

YOU ARE A FUCKING GENIUS!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Question - I disabled Csrutil and installed Serato Scratch Live and it works. But I have not gone back to enable Csrutil yet. Are you 100% sure that:

1- I need to go back and an enable Csrutil for my computer to be deemed 'Safe'
2- If I enable Csrutil, Serato will continue to work?

Just curious as to why you say it's 'important'?

THANK YOU AGAIN!
edenterrorist 8:24 AM - 14 November, 2015
I'm glad it worked, that's a win!

Ok, so I'm not a mac genius but thanks, that made me smile :)

I just followed the same logic I read on a Microsoft Mouse/Keyboard forum (when I installed El Capitan my keyboard and mouse stopped working properly too).

1.) Here's reading on csrutil, I would definitely turn it back on... www.howtogeek.com

2.) I'm not sure. Can you update this thread when you do? I'll test my 57SL during the week to make sure it's all still working.

I'm hoping that with the next update of El Capitan things will just work properly again, I upgraded as I liked the pros of what the OS does for my work and don't use the 57SL too much these days but I do like a good session or after party from time to time so I still want it to work!
omegathedj 7:49 PM - 24 November, 2015
Hey Guys!

i tried all the methods in this thread and still can't get my 57SL to be discovered by SSL. I'm able to install and run SSL but the hardware isn't connecting.

PLS HELP!!!!!

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Mr.Marronz 9:40 PM - 7 December, 2015
Same problem here!! mac osx El capitan not recognize my ttm57 . It worked well until a few days ago , but today I launched ScratchLIVE and TTM57 not recognized. I tried to solve the problem with the workaround described above . Leaving the SIP disabled everything works but if I enable the problem returns.
Chief2842 6:18 PM - 13 December, 2015
Thanks edenterrorist, I was able to resolve my issues following your instructions.
otterit 12:56 AM - 29 December, 2015
No joy here. I do not see a SeratoScratchDriver.kext file created when Scratch Live is re-installed.

Same issue as omegathedj. Not working
Chief2842 4:17 AM - 29 December, 2015
I got it to work by following edenterrorist instructions. I have csrutil disabled, I enabled it and it didn't work anymore and I had to go through edenterrorist steps again. Oh and also once I got it to work for some reason I kept having USB buffer issues so I had to take the USB buffer latency down to 5 in setup.
randomone 10:00 PM - 4 January, 2016
For all 57sl SSL users

I was unable to get SSL to work with the core audio drivers of the TTM 57 SL with the El Capitan version of OSX (even trying everything above).

My solution is to use a dual boot virtual disks with a virtual media disk to allow the El Capitan and Yosemite disks to access the media with SSL installed on the Yosemite disk ( has always worked fine for me).

It allows you to keep your main OS X up to date and have an optimised install for SSL .

Hope this helps.
djrumpus 9:36 AM - 7 January, 2016
I'm in the same situation here and the only thing I could do is go to REKORDBOX by pioneer. Every nightclub that I work at, they are already using pioneer mixers and cd players so, i decided to expend 20.00 in a ethernet switch and 3 cables.

I don't want this to sound like a complain but, after spending $750.00 on the SL1 and $1,800.00 on the rane mixer TTM57SL and almost $250.00 in value packs on serato dj.

I can't belive RANE/SERATO can't find a fix for this problem!! When pioneer fix it within a month.

I PROMiSED MY SELF NOT TO SPEND ANOTHER DOLLAR ON Serato/RANE, until this problem is fixed or pioneer makes me forget that Rane existed or maybe a buy-back program from Rane/Serato so that we can keep investing in those companies.

I hope this doesn't offend anybody!! I still love Serato... for now!!
Dj scratchmaster jeff 9:21 PM - 11 January, 2016
Hi Guys , I need some assistance if possible. i recently bought a macbook pro running Yosemite OX . Scratch live is working alright with it. There are 2 issues i am worried about. The scope views on the software setup page are empty thus affecting vinyl control with latency issues. Any advice on setup with be appreciated.
pdidy 11:30 PM - 11 January, 2016
^^^^Check input dip switch setting on mixer and select phono = turntable, CD/line = cdj.

Calibrate, read manual for info.
dedjservice 7:12 PM - 21 January, 2016
I'm using a TTM57 with EL Cap and this is what I finally got to work. I deleted all versions of SSL and follow the workaround. csrutil disable and then installed SSL 2.4.3. rebooted turned back on csrutil enable rebooted again. Working with no problem without deleting core driver files, but I only installed the ttm57 drivers have not yet tried any other devices. When I tried to use SSL 2.5 it kernel panic as soon as turned csrutil back on. I cant explain it. My combo is a lot older. Early 2008 Mac Pro 6gigs of ram 2.6GHZ Core 2 Duo, El Capitan ver. 10.11.3 so far its stable. Hope this helps!
dedjservice 7:28 PM - 21 January, 2016
In addition to this make sure ALL FILES DOWNLOADED AND IN TRASH are deleted involving ssl ...if your using VSL that can stay. It wasn't till I deleted all ssl files and drivers before I disabled csrutil and re downloaded that it finally started to work consistently. Thanks edenterroris for the work around btw!
Lord Hokage 2:53 AM - 12 February, 2016
When are they going to update scratchlive to work with El Capitan??????
pdidy 3:34 AM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:

scratchlive is discontinued so there will be no updates......so the answer is Never.
Lord Hokage 12:04 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

scratchlive is discontinued so there will be no updates......so the answer is Never.

So I am fucked because apple wont let me downgrade back to Maverick.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:58 PM - 12 February, 2016
Lord.. you aren't f*cked.
Whoever told you you can't revert back to Mavericks either doesn't know what they are talking about or too lazy to actually help you.

I would take your computer to an Apple store and say, "I'm using a software/hardware package that needs to run on Mavericks. I need help with #1 backing up all my data, #2 installing Mavericks on my computer, and #3 putting my data on the new OS."

It may cost you some money but its definitely something you can do.
pdidy 8:22 AM - 13 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So I am fucked because apple wont let me downgrade back to Maverick.

Zach S knows what he's talking about so i advise you to listen but i will add that you are not limited to Maverick. Anything between osx Mountain lion and Yosemite will work just fine.
DJ Damn D-Rell 3:08 AM - 23 March, 2016
I just upgraded to El Capitan this morning and have been testing all my equipment. My TTM 57SL connected just fine. The only problem I have is the music will become staticy and skip for about a second. There will be no more updates for SSL as they told us there would not be months ago with the full integration of SDJ (quite pissed about it because I love SSL). I have not tried the trick @eddenterrorist spoke of because I do not want to mess up my computer if I do something wong. Whats crazy is how all of the RANE mixers are "problematic" with Serato DJ in El Capitan but all the PIONEER mixers and controllers seem to work just fine. Its almost like they are trying to make you buy pioneer. I love Rane and SSL so I will revert back to Yosemite so I can continue to use my turntable with my TTM57SL. There is no point for me to have El Capitan anyways... *shoulder shrug*
pdidy 3:15 AM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
There is no point for me to have El Capitan anyways... *shoulder shrug*

BINGO !
DJ Damn D-Rell 4:30 AM - 23 March, 2016
OH AND WHATEVER THAT STUFF @PONDY WAS SPEAKING OF ACTUALLY MADE MY TTM57SL NO LONGER CONNECT
DeeJay Marc3lo 5:14 PM - 29 March, 2016
SL1 working like a charm :D
Rebelguy 5:37 PM - 29 March, 2016
Aside from people buying new Macs with El Capitan already installed why is anyone else upgrading? I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it.
edenterrorist 5:59 PM - 29 April, 2016
Hi all. I'm away from home for a couple of months. Can someone check if the new Serato DJ drivers for the Rane equipment have any effect on helping the 57SL on Scratch Live? Ta.

support.serato.com
busej 6:47 PM - 29 April, 2016
@edenterrorist scratch live has reached end of life so there will be no more updates or support. So pretty much out of luck. I for the life of me couldn't get scratch my ttm to connect to my i7 mb pro with El Capitan so I just removed the optical bay and put a second ssd in with Mavericks OS on it and it works great. So if I'm doing a gig I boot the ssd with Mavericks and if I'm just using my computer I boot normal hdd with el capitan
edenterrorist 8:23 PM - 29 April, 2016
Hey @busej. Yip, realise that and am using a duel boot & the workaround I described above. Judt interested if the new Serato DJ drivers will make the 57SL function.
Mr. Goodkat 3:39 PM - 30 April, 2016
Quote:
Aside from people buying new Macs with El Capitan already installed why is anyone else upgrading? I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it.

we need a whole forum section that just says

EL Capitan - DONT USE IT - Problems Here
ShabaazNYC 1:13 AM - 15 May, 2016
Holy fuckin' shit! THAT ACTUALLY WORKED! Thanks @edenterrorist. You're a genius! I thought I was screwed and stuck with a useless piece of gear after having been forced to buy a new MacBook Pro.
LoLyfe 6:01 PM - 17 May, 2016
I have been hesitant to upgrade (but I do love to have all the latest drivers + patches + firmware..etc). Nonetheless I still end up working at bars and clubs that have the older USB 1.1 devices (57's & SL1's). I know the product is discontinued but this concern would not be an issue if they allowed or made these devices to work with SDJ. Even if there are some functions that will not work at least the core functions just to be able to use the devices. My MBP shipped with Yosemite but what happens to those who purchase a new MBP....sounds like they need to take a controller with them everywhere.
LLCoolJays 12:11 AM - 21 May, 2016
@edenterrorist thanks!!! Following your instructions I was able to get the usb recognition. Like previous posters, I did not go back to enable. Not sure what issues this will cause, but i go by the old saying, if it ain't broke.... Anyhow, there are buffering issues as mentioned by someone previously, but as a garage dj that just messes around with from time to time, it will have to work for now
yeison 9:28 PM - 1 June, 2016
Thank you """edenterrorist" I was able to resolve my issues following your instructions.
el Capitan and Serato Works well ....

Problema Resuelto Capitan y Serato funciona muy bien... edenterrorist, es un genio...
Christian Bautista 11:10 PM - 4 June, 2016
edenterrorist I LOVE YOU MAN! YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!!!!!
That method really worked. I'm running a 2011 Mac 15 inch (previously Snow Leopard) and was forced to update to El Capitan. After much trial and error this was the only method that worked for me. Now I don't have to downgrade to my old OS and I can continue killing it on my Rane TTM 57SL and Technics like before! Thanks again my friend!
dj rndm 8:48 PM - 12 June, 2016
I was successful in getting Serato reinstalled and recognizing my TTM57sl (had to keep csrutil disabled) but now Im getting weird glitches once every minute or so while playing a track. It's the equivalent of record skipping but in digital form. The track stays on time but rolls a note or two, in a glitchy fashion, before getting back where it belongs. Did anyone else have this issue? If so, how did you remedy it?

Thanks and props to edenterrorist for the workaround!

//RNDM
DJADHD 2:13 PM - 30 June, 2016
Good to know I can't upgrade past Yosemite and still use my $1500 TTM57SL. Thanks again Serato for giving all of your TM57SL customers the big FU. Just thinking about your company make my stomach churn. Last Rane or Serato product i'll ever buy. Sincerely, Still pissed off Serato Scratch customer.
DJ Irv 2:33 PM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
Good to know I can't upgrade past Yosemite and still use my $1500 TTM57SL. Thanks again Serato for giving all of your TM57SL customers the big FU. Just thinking about your company make my stomach churn. Last Rane or Serato product i'll ever buy. Sincerely, Still pissed off Serato Scratch customer.

Sounds a lot like me 4 years ago. There's always the Z2 and TSP. Works for me although I still have to use SL boxes in clubs but at least I didn't pay for them.
pdidy 5:47 PM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:

You're 100% wrong on this, hopefully someone will have the patients to explain too you why.
LoLyfe 5:52 PM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

You're 100% wrong on this, hopefully someone will have the patients to explain too you why.

I also own the 57 and an sl1 but I agree with pdidy on this one. The only real concerns are the venues having old mixer (which most likely will be a 57) but we have to move with the times and this happens to be the case now.
djbeatsent 5:56 PM - 30 June, 2016
So if I buy a new Mac that comes with El Capitan, what should I do? I play all live gigs and cannot afford some weird, unexpected sh*t happening!
edenterrorist 7:43 PM - 30 June, 2016
This will work but make sure you read all the thread above...

1.) Download Scratch Live again.
2.) Restart your Mac holding down Command-R until the Apple logo appears.
3.) From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
4.) In the Terminal window, type this:

csrutil disable

5.) Press Enter/Return. This turns off the part of SIP that will let you run a fresh Scratch Live install again.
6.) Type reboot and press Enter/Return to restart your Mac.
7.) After the restart you can install Scratch Live.

NOW IMPORTANT

8.) Restart again once you install holding down Command-R until the Apple logo appears.
9.) From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
10.) In the Terminal window, type this:

csrutil enable

11.) Press Enter/Return. This turns back on the part of SIP you disabled temporarily.

11a.) I can't remember if I then deleted SeratoScratchDriver.kext again from Macintosh HD > System > Library > Extensions or just moved on to step 12.

12.) Turn on your 57SL and plug in the USB.
13.) Launch Scratch Live and hopefully you're back in action like I was, I'll update if this method stops working at some point.

Cheers Tim on a...

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Running OSX El Capitan - Version 10.11.1
pdidy 11:15 PM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
So if I buy a new Mac that comes with El Capitan, what should I do? I play all live gigs and cannot afford some weird, unexpected sh*t happening!

This calls for you to decide what YOUR priorities are and too make wise decisions.

These are your top 3 options.....
1. If the Rane 57 is your top priority then the wise decision is too choose any Macbook Pro made between 2008 and 2015 that does not have El Capitan installed and it will remain compatible with your rane 57 potentially forever.

2. If having a NEW computer with El capitan installed is your top priority then partition the drive and dual boot Yosemite on a separate partition.

3. If having a NEW computer with El capitan installed is your top priority, as mention in previous post by edenterrorist, there are "workarounds" that appear to work for some users. These "workarounds" may not be "officially supported" so use at your own risk.

I still own and love my rane 57 but if my current laptop were to die, I would not replace it with a current model running El Capitan. I would save money and place it with a 2012 MBP www.apple.com and run Yosemite on it.
KMXE 10:17 AM - 2 July, 2016
edenterrorist - have you (or anyone else that has followed your workaround) had any issues at all? or has it been flawless?

some of the posts above seem to say that there are dropouts or its slightly buggy
edenterrorist 10:22 AM - 3 July, 2016
It's been flawless for me though now I'm running a dual boot Yosemite drive and that works natively
Oluwatee 1:39 PM - 3 July, 2016
HELLO EVERYONE, I AM NEW TO SERATO AND I LIKE AND LOVE THE PERFOMANCE, BUT THE THING IS I CAN'T AFFORD A BRAND NEW SL1 BOX. PLS IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO WOULD LIKE TO SELL OFF HIS SL1 OR ANY SERATO DJ INTERFACE? PLS REPLY ASAP. THANKS YA'LL
djseme 2:47 PM - 7 July, 2016
THIS WORKED
Wolf_505 7:12 PM - 9 July, 2016
New to this dj stuff. Was going to purchase a ttm 57sl to learn and mess around with as a hobby for $500. Now knowing that this mixer has been discontinued by rane as well with serato updates no longer being updated nor supported, is it worth the money to start to learn with this mixer?

I have a MacBook Pro from 2012 running El Capt.

Any advice with purchasing this model of mixer even though it's not being supported anymore would be great.

Thx.
Shagz 6:26 PM - 3 September, 2016
For others TTM 57SL / Scratch Live users who come across this thread, I was on Yosemite and needed to upgrade to El Capitan. (new phone needed a new version of iTunes in order to sync :P ) Macbook Pro, mid 2012.

Updated through the App Store. (OS X El Capitan 10.11.6)

Booted up Scratch Live, plugged in Mixer...success!! Everything seemed to be working fine, even the control records. :D Didn't notice any USB buffer issues. Shutdown Scratch Live.

Kontrol X1 controller doesn't work though. Updated drivers. Restart. Mixer no longer registers! :(

Pulled SeratoScratchDriver.kext out of my Extensions folder. Restart. Mixer registers again! :D

Fingers crossed that it stays this way long enough for me to save up some cash for a hardware upgrade at some point. Will update my post if anything changes.

Thank you to all the stressed djs who went before me and figured this stuff out. :P
irvin_1love 10:40 PM - 18 September, 2016
shagz does your 57 still work with el capitan?
Dj Dale aka Blaze 12:52 PM - 27 September, 2016
hi,
i bought a mac with el capitan... a big mistake at first i couldn't install Serato scratch live but thanks to edenterrorist (Thanks a ton bro) i could install both serato scratch live & Serato Dj.My Serato scratch live was working perfect in HID mode and TC but Serato Dj was giving a bad distortion sound when i played a track in HID mode at my gig then After I deleted SeratoScratchDriver.kext and installed the driver instructed by RANE... my Serato DJ is working but serato scratch live is not working like before ,flawless.. now its giving a slight pause while mixing and playing tracks... i have followed all the troubleshooting instruction to the t but having this problem with Serato Scratch Live and serato Dj hangs at times when i shift to USB and come back to PC mode ...then i have to restart Serato Scratch Live or Serato Dj which ever one im using dat nite... i would be very grateful if someone could help me out... and i always get the beach ball when i open Serato Dj for a sec in the start but when i close it for around 30 sec.. Please help!! Thanks Guys ~ Cheers
DJ_90 12:14 PM - 19 October, 2016
I have spent the best part of a year using work arounds a different laptop and moving new music all over the show to make sure I have the most current crates etc... I took a few days off work and finally bit the bullet and did it properly.

This involved;
1) Obtaining Mavericks OS and creating USB boot media
2) Backing up music again onto local media (External HDD)
3) Repartitioning my existing drive into 2 areas - Current / Mavericks (for Serato)
4) Build Mavericks partition
5) Reinstall ScratchLive and build crates.

What took the longest time here was getting the info to build the Mavericks USB boot media. To that end I have created image of the media to simplify the process for anyone else looking to do the same.

Will write a short guide if anyone will find it useful and also post the image on dropbox.

Thanks
DJ90

Get me at: www.facebook.com
Djay Paradise 12:13 PM - 21 October, 2016
edenterrorist do your method works with 2011 64bit macbook pro running el capitan? I've been searching online trying to find out how to dumb down my 64bit to 32bit and find nothing. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Ke_Djs 12:21 AM - 4 January, 2017
Hey Just tried this today with the fix by @edenterrorist.

I have a Rane 57SL and can confirm successfully running Scratch Live 2.5.
My computer configuration is:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Running macOS Sierra - Version 10.12.2
dj aftashok1 1:06 AM - 30 January, 2017
(sigh)
i just came across this problem this weekend
using my SL1 box with scratch live 2.5 , technics 1200s and 14MXR mixer
i purchased a used mid-2012 15inch Macbook pro with El Capitan pre-installed
i moved all my stuff from my 13 inch to my 15 inch via ethernet cable
i tested it for hours, worked just fine at home
did a gig friday, during the sound check serato crashed,
so i just whipped out and used my 13 inch
today tested out my 15 inch again, serato crashed...

do i revert to Yosemite, do the edenterrorist work around, or wipe the hard drive and just install everything from my 13inch agian including OSX mountain lion?

15 Inch Mid 2012 MBP
2.6 Intel core i7,
16GB memory,
480SSD, Nvidia GeForce 650M & Intel 4000
running El Capitan 10.11.4
dj aftashok1 1:22 AM - 30 January, 2017
update:
did theedenterrorist, "serato failed" to install software...
on to the next..
Lawndoh 10:53 AM - 11 February, 2017
Hello everyone 57sl el captain followed the disable and enable I got it to download!! But it still does not read my mixer I've been at this for hrs only to read that I need to dumb down my stuff to keep my rane equipment :,(
Kebbeh 4:02 PM - 6 March, 2017
I used @edenterrorist method and it worked, but only once...
Can't get it to work anymore, even when I re-install everything and disable/enable csrutil.

It is also weird to see that when i plug in the mixer to my laptop I can't play songs in serato anymore.

Can anyone help me?
djbizz 8:24 PM - 6 May, 2017
any luck with getting this to work on Sierra???
Wave Dweller 8:56 AM - 14 May, 2017
I tried all the steps with Sierra, no luck. I don't entirely understand the disabling of rootless.... is this purely so that I can install? Or is it disabled so TTM57 mixer connects when opening Scratch Live?

All I want is to use Technics 1210s with Serato. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new mixer? Or can I use an SL2 for example as an add-on to my TTM57 mixer? I just want a set up that works and is reliable.
ikah love 7:51 AM - 27 May, 2017
MacBook Pro 2016 Touchbar 15"
OS 10.12.5
TTM 57 MK1

I just did the edenterrorist workaround. Scratch Live successfully installed. When not plugged into the 57, Scratch Live functions as it normally would in offline mode. When I plug it into the 57 the mixer is not recognized. Scratch Live remains in offline mode, but looses the ability to play or manipulate tracks. That is to say, while plugged into the 57, I can load tracks, but can't play them back... Pressing the spacebar does nothing, pressing the play/pause button does nothing, I can't scrub through the track in either the Track Overview or the Main Waveform Display.. In fact, while the Track Overview window does populate, nothing appears in the Main Waveform Display. Also of note, once I unplug the computer from the mixer, Scratch Live behaves exactly as it does while plugged in - zero ability to manipulate tracks. After closing Scratch Live and then relaunching it, all functions return to normal while in offline mode.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
PopRoXxX 2:59 PM - 28 May, 2017
Sounds like ScratchLIVE is no longer stable. Better to stick with old technology if you would like to stick with old software.
Culprit 9:21 AM - 30 May, 2017
I have done around 10 machines with Sierra, all I did was keep rootless protection disabled and they all worked. Disable rootless protection, keep it off, reinstall SSL, restart. Try SSL, restart, try SSL again, restart, try SSL again. If it works, don't enable rootless.

If you absolutely have to have rootless protection then just sell the old mixer and get a Serato DJ compatible mixer and call it a day.

That is your only options. Good luck!!
Cj "Tha" Sticman 12:36 AM - 22 June, 2017
Wow So Basically you're saying my investment is worthless . Again $750 for the SL1 and $1500 for the TTM57 . I been on serato dj for the past few years and i gotta say its solid but my confidence is low in the companies that made it due to high investments , Solid Equipment on Very Good Solid equipment and the software is no longer supported. So is this gonna happen again in another 5 years? I bought a DjmS9 a couple years ago at the tune of about $2000 . is that gonna end up useless too?

At Least i can still use my Vinyl or connect a newer SL2 Box and use serato dj and use the mixer as a normal mixer as the equipment is still solid and works fine ....... should i be investing into boxes instead of mixers?
pdidy 2:23 AM - 22 June, 2017
Quote:
Wow So Basically you're saying my investment is worthless . Again $750 for the SL1 and $1500 for the TTM57 . I been on serato dj for the past few years and i gotta say its solid but my confidence is low in the companies that made it due to high investments , Solid Equipment on Very Good Solid equipment and the software is no longer supported. So is this gonna happen again in another 5 years? I bought a DjmS9 a couple years ago at the tune of about $2000 . is that gonna end up useless too?

No, your investment is not worthless. Any issues you may be experiencing regarding compatibility and/or questionable longevity are due to experience or lack there of. It is the sole responsibility of the users to determine what their priorities are and to property manage the compatibility of their laptop, software and hardware. Ive been a serato user since 2004 and still own a SL1 and ttm57 with no issue and use serato dj for my Newer mixers and controllers flawlessly. Im pretty sure your worries are unwarranted but If you need info on properly maintaining this balance just ask.
Cj "Tha" Sticman 12:00 PM - 22 June, 2017
"Any issues you may be experiencing regarding compatibility and/or questionable longevity are due to experience or lack there of. It is the sole responsibility of the users to determine what their priorities are and to property manage the compatibility of their laptop, software and hardware. "

Im pretty sure your worries are unwarranted but If you need info on properly maintaining this balance just ask"

I Come to you With Years Of Experience and i know that things change and progress with time. Im Just Saying , its not cool to have something working fine and then after a mere software update on one software, you go to the other and all of a sudden it no longer works. I Just wondering is this going to be the way things are gonna be in a few more years.
I too Have been a Serato user since 2004. Ive also been buying Rane Mixers since 1998 . I'd been using scratch live and serato dj on the same laptop with IOS Serra for the longest . Did a update with serato dj and now all of a sudden scratch live doesn't work On any of the products i own from the Old SL1 to the last Mixer i bought ...a Rane 62 . But the question may be asked , well why do u use both like that. Because i could. Several of the Spots i dj Still own the old hardware and some nights i show up with just my laptop , needles and records or Cds . Ill be cool though have a SL2 box i carry with me incase i run into this issue again. Its Really the Convenience for me and yes it just recently stopped working .
Culprit 3:16 AM - 23 June, 2017
Hey CJ,

Apple broke SSL. Serato gave us users the warnings in 2012 that SSL was going end of life. They also advised us that SL1 and TTM57SL were not to be supported. Rane has been sold to inmusic/dennon. When was the last time you were around here? The business has changed, for better or for worse, in the last 4 years to be honest.

Swinging back around to how Apple broke SSL. They implemented rootless protection starting with El Captain. How did you get SSL to work after El Captain without hitting the forums and unearthing the critical fixes needed to support an outdated program? You said it worked right out the box with OSX Sierra? Hmm.. so weird, because everyone I know who has updated past Yosemite all have had problems, including Users on this forum.

Anyways, we can debate this until the Apocalypse, and I am pretty sure a few others here will probably step in to inform you of the last four years of the experiences we have been having.

From a business perspective, the relationship with Rane ended, and Serato had to move on and focus on new software and hardware. That's the black and white of it. It's not our business, we don't own it, we don't control it. It is what it is. You do have other options if you are not satisfied.

Regarding the S9, dude, Pioneer does this all the time. Since the CDJ era, so I am suprised with your amount of experience that you throw the rock at Serato, when that is clearly a business move by Pioneer, since they are the major investing party in the situation.

Again, not here to debate with you, rather inform you of a situation that has been covered many many many times before. By myself, and others. Simple google search would show you the many threads and beef that's been thrown at Serato and Pioneer respectively.

I say, just enjoy it while you can dude. One day, Serato may not be around. Most likely bought out by the Giant that Pioneer DJ is becoming, and then we will be completely abandoned and forced to use other projects if they decide to shelf it.

Rane Sold, Vestax went bankrupt, Virtual DJ is kicking ass right now.. anything is possible dude

/endrant
Cj "Tha" Sticman 12:56 PM - 24 June, 2017
Hey Culprit let me Address You Directly ....

first off i'm not here to debate anyone either .

You Asked...
"When was the last time you were around here? The business has changed, for better or for worse, in the last 4 years to be honest."

Because im a working Dj / On Air Personality , im not on here Very often. As of the past few days i have been due to the emails i get when someone responds . So for responding thank you . Now on to your Rant ....

"You said it worked right out the box with OSX Sierra? Hmm.. so weird, because everyone I know who has updated past Yosemite all have had problems, including Users on this forum."

My man You all can say this till you are blue in the face .....

Yes I've been on Sierra since the IOS Update came available , YES IT DID Work and you will never be able to tell me anything different Because i was the one over here actually using Both Scratch Live and Serato Dj ... I don't have to lie to kick it mann . I used Serato Dj at the Radio Station and Scratch Live at some of the Clubs I play. Now across the board scratch live no longer works and i knew years ago it would no longer be supported. I Just didn't expect it to just stop working period. I own a 62 and SL2 box that is supposed to be able to use both SSL and SDJ .

C'mon Mann Im not some novice that just discovered i can buy a laptop and download some mp3s and Viola im a dj.

"Regarding the S9, dude, Pioneer does this all the time. Since the CDJ era, so I am suprised with your amount of experience that you throw the rock at Serato, when that is clearly a business move by Pioneer, since they are the major investing party in the situation."

I don't own many pioneer products and i've never had issues with them . I have a pair of cdj's ( that are dusty as hell cause i hardly use them ) S9 and a DDJ SX2. Never Had Issues with any of that hardware. Bought because I use Serato dj .

"I say, just enjoy it while you can dude. One day, Serato may not be around. Most likely bought out by the Giant that Pioneer DJ is becoming, and then we will be completely abandoned and forced to use other projects if they decide to shelf it."

This Here My Man I Can Totally Agree With You On This.

"Rane Sold, Vestax went bankrupt, Virtual DJ is kicking ass right now.. anything is possible dude "

Rane Sold - That explains why the Rane 62 Does not feel as solid as my old 52, 54, 56, 56s , or 57 . I Don't care what anyone says , it doesn't (Yes They All Still Work except for the Scratch live with the 57 but the mixer works fine)

Vestax Bankrupt - I can believe that .... the last vestax i bought around 2008 ( filling a techincal rider for Lil Wayne's Tour Dj ) it Clunked out about 3 years later. But my TTM-52 i bought back in 98 Still works fine to this very day....SMH

Virtual DJ is kicking ass right now - Super Crazy But This is Very True .

/endaddress
pdidy 7:35 PM - 24 June, 2017
Quote:
Now across the board scratch live no longer works and i knew years ago it would no longer be supported. I Just didn't expect it to just stop working period. I own a 62 and SL2 box that is supposed to be able to use both SSL and SDJ .

I don't believe this is really a "serato" issue, It appears to really be a software management issue by the user. It sounds like in the past you've gotten very lucky with OS upgrades then OSX Sierra comes along and BOOM your luck runs out :( For a dj of your status there is NOTHING more important than stability and reliability. Software and hardware compatibility relies on the choices the user makes and needs to be taken very seriously along with research and long term testing.

My point is prioritize stability and reliability and not the latest/greatest operating system.

So in order for you to maintain compatibility with older hardware and software like scratchlive, rane 57, sl1 and newer hardware and software like serato dj, rane 62, pioneer s9, ddj-sx your computers Operating system is the Key. The operating system you should be using is Yosimite as it is the last OS confirmed to work with ALL Serato gear and software old to new that you use. Any updates past Yosemite are an unsupported risk and user error.
Cj "Tha" Sticman 8:58 PM - 24 June, 2017
Dually Noted !
Cj "Tha" Sticman 12:32 AM - 25 June, 2017
I don't believe this is really a "serato" issue, It appears to really be a software management issue by the user. It sounds like in the past you've gotten very lucky with OS upgrades then OSX Sierra comes along and BOOM your luck runs out :(

My point is prioritize stability and reliability and not the latest/greatest operating system.

So in order for you to maintain compatibility with older hardware and software like scratchlive, rane 57, sl1 and newer hardware and software like serato dj, rane 62, pioneer s9, ddj-sx your computers Operating system is the Key. The operating system you should be using is Yosimite as it is the last OS confirmed to work with ALL Serato gear and software old to new that you use. Any updates past Yosemite are an unsupported risk and user error.

This has been the most useful post . Well I know I upgrade constantly because of other softwares as my laptop is pretty much a super production studio so it's definitely my fault . So all Yall Serato Defenders can stand down . Thanks for getting me on straight. I know I could roll my OS back but I will pass on that since I have a way to make things happen and contenue working as before . I will only do that if I just absolutely have to . #KnockOnWood
#UltimateRiskTaker
Cj "Tha" Sticman 10:56 PM - 26 June, 2017
Attention Djs : PDIDY & Culprit Are Absolutely Correct !

Scratch Live is Not Future Proof......

Serato Dj i don't trust to be future proof either so please Take Heed To this Warning. Proceed at your own Risk but don't be surprised if you have issues.

Downgraded My Backup Mac Book..... Reinstalled .....
Everything is back working .....

Once Again , Thanks Guys .....
Culprit 11:02 PM - 26 June, 2017
Indeed, I think the biggest issue I have is Apple making it impossible to downgrade unless you already downloaded the previous operating systems.
Culprit 11:04 PM - 26 June, 2017
Also to note, the biggest oddity to date is when people ask me about my hardware and how I like the new macbook pro's. Always the long weird face when I tell them its an old 2012 Refurbished Macbook Pro running Yosemite with zero issues. Just hardware upgrades. It's like a kick in the balls to tell some of these guys they invested in the wrong macbook pro for video mixing.
Cj "Tha" Sticman 11:15 PM - 26 June, 2017
Its Not impossible to downgrade , you just have to have the OS downloaded. but apple makes it next to impossible to find them so when u download them always save them. One thing i do Before i Upgrade , i always buy New internal hard drives . I mirror the old hard drive and load the new one into my computer , then upgrade the OS. Then i Put a date on the old hard drive and put it away. That way i can come back load , that old drive into my computer , start it up and keep running as if i never shut it off. I can also revert the old drive back to the beginning as if it was a brand new mac book right out the box. This is how i was able to downgrade my backup Mac Book and just as you guys said , everything worked fine. Both My Mac Books are Mid 2012 MacBook Pro Laptops.
Mr. Goodkat 11:17 PM - 26 June, 2017
mid 2012 macbooks are life
Culprit 11:21 PM - 26 June, 2017
Quote:
Its Not impossible to downgrade , you just have to have the OS downloaded. but apple makes it next to impossible to find them so when u download them always save them. One thing i do Before i Upgrade , i always buy New internal hard drives . I mirror the old hard drive and load the new one into my computer , then upgrade the OS. Then i Put a date on the old hard drive and put it away. That way i can come back load , that old drive into my computer , start it up and keep running as if i never shut it off. I can also revert the old drive back to the beginning as if it was a brand new mac book right out the box. This is how i was able to downgrade my backup Mac Book and just as you guys said , everything worked fine. Both My Mac Books are Mid 2012 MacBook Pro Laptops.

Yes, make sure you also clone to a cheap ssd drive dude. Some of those old mechanical drives fail if they are not used for a long period of time.
pdidy 12:03 AM - 27 June, 2017
Quote:
Attention Djs : PDIDY & Culprit Are Absolutely Correct !

Scratch Live is Not Future Proof......

Serato Dj i don't trust to be future proof either so please Take Heed To this Warning. Proceed at your own Risk but don't be surprised if you have issues.

Downgraded My Backup Mac Book..... Reinstalled .....
Everything is back working .....

Once Again , Thanks Guys .....

Your welcome, glad to see everything is back in working order.
Cj "Tha" Sticman 3:45 AM - 27 June, 2017
Quote:

Yes, make sure you also clone to a cheap ssd drive dude. Some of those old mechanical drives fail if they are not used for a long period of time.

All I use are SSD Drives . Much Faster , more reliable . No moving parts . The only regular drive I have is the one that originally came in the laptop. Haven't connected it in years . Lol
DJ Jose808 3:11 AM - 8 August, 2017
Im not going to lie you, that after i decide to update my laptop to El Capitan i was pissed. So i had a gig this 5 Aug, and set up everything, the night prior to be sure all the system was good, so the next day set the whole system and lights, you know, to spin this QuinceaƱera and test everything , prior to head back to get ready, and 5min before the gig start, Scratch Live have that freaking warning logo that Rane was discinnected. So, i shut everythig down , unplugged everything like we di to troubleshoot, and the damn rane wont connect. Glad that I alwasy have my itouch with several playlists in case of anything.
So I end up spining 8 hrs like that, and eventually the 57SL connnect to the laptop and the worst part is that the songs werd skipoing.
So, i was like either i smashed my 57 or my laptop.
I read above that it make sense, that Ranr should have at least di something to come with a solution after 2 years ago all yhis issues have been there.
Any update or solution please let me know.
dj luis 6:41 PM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:

After I dele(... )

you magnificent bastid !

need to check this with SL1 but installed and fired up on a MBP 2013 ruynning 10.12.6 !
DJ_Austin 8:39 PM - 7 November, 2017
Please let me know how works SL1+Scracth Live + Sierra 10.12.6. Thanks
k squared 2:04 PM - 25 January, 2018
Confirmed this just worked for me also.

Mac Book Pro Late 2011
2.2 GHz i7
8G Ram 1T HD

macOS High Sierra
Scratch Live 2.5 + SL1
&
Serato DJ 1.9.10
DJ BIG DADDY 12:51 AM - 24 June, 2018
Hi only had it working once on 2017 macbook pro 15" 2.8ghz i7 16gb ram mac sierra os ver 10.12.6 with a rane ttm 57sl.

If anyone has any more ideas or information to add would be appreciated.

Thanks crew.
Culprit 2:02 AM - 25 June, 2018
Did you read the thread?
keyray 6:16 PM - 23 September, 2018
Quote:

After I deleted SeratoScratchDriver.kext and got my 57SL working with Scratch Live on El Capitan I then decided to install all the other drivers that come with the package and somehow screwed my whole workaround up and for some reason I found I couldn't fresh reinstall Scratch Live so...

thanx, it works!
anatolianINVASION 1:04 PM - 27 December, 2018
Oke check this out. You can open it no need for terminal and other difficult workarounds.

select the Scratch Live installer.mpkg - right click and select 'show package contents'

now select 'scratchLive.pkg' and open it.

Your welcome;)
Lephunk 7:12 PM - 18 April, 2019
ive found that when re-enabling the crsutil, it stops working..
im on High Sierra,
so when i disable it again, it works.
fyi
Lephunk 7:34 PM - 18 April, 2019
ugh... cant get it to work anymore after i re-enabled.
will trouble shoot and report back
Culprit 8:56 PM - 18 April, 2019
you cant have both, choose your poison
Jesse James (Oakland( 5:09 PM - 12 December, 2019
This works in 2019. I kept Yosemite and Scratch Live so I can still use Abelton's The Bridge. Then iTunes stopped working with Yosemite, only El Capitan and later. So, I upgraped to El Capitan, uninstalled SL, installed it after disabling csrutil, reenabled crsutil and it works fine. Jut follow the directions listed above. The seratoscratchdriver.kext is no longer present though.
Culprit 11:17 PM - 12 December, 2019
the "seratoscratchdriver.kext" might be hidden but its there, just cant remember what folder off the top of my head.

All serato would of needed to do is put that kext file in another place other than the main system drive and we would have no issues but I think this issue arose before we were having these issues.
Culprit 11:18 PM - 12 December, 2019
dang it, after.. after i mean
.aRToo. 9:38 PM - 14 January, 2020
Hi, thank you for very helpful discussion. I'm new to Mac (recently got a used mid 2015 MBP) and installed Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57) on it.

I can't get the workaround by edenterrorist to work though. After disabling csrutil I still get the 'This package is incompatible with this version of macOS' message. Also, for goodness sake I can not seem to find the seratoscratchdriver.kext, it simply does not exist anywhere on my system, even after showing hidden files.

Has anyone got SSL to work on Catalina? Cheers for any hints!!
metroplex2005 11:57 PM - 14 January, 2020
Quote:
Hi, thank you for very helpful discussion. I'm new to Mac (recently got a used mid 2015 MBP) and installed Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57) on it.

I can't get the workaround by edenterrorist to work though. After disabling csrutil I still get the 'This package is incompatible with this version of macOS' message. Also, for goodness sake I can not seem to find the seratoscratchdriver.kext, it simply does not exist anywhere on my system, even after showing hidden files.

Has anyone got SSL to work on Catalina? Cheers for any hints!!

Try to downgrade to Mojave (or below) or make dualboot system with a second Mojave (or below) partition.