Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Ipad Pro as a DJ computer for Serato

DJYaz 6:38 PM - 8 October, 2015
Now that the new Ipad pro will have a USB port I'm interested in whether or not...

1. People would be interested in using it as a DJ computer
2. If you think Serato would support that (and if so when)
3. What the possible advantages and/or disadvantages might me
DJ Baby Boy 1:42 AM - 9 October, 2015
The iPad Pro doesn't have any USB port only lightning port

1. Amateurs would be interested in this and those that don't understand the processing power requirements of Serato DJ/ Scratch Live
2. Serato will never (or at least should never) develop a full fledged program for a mobile operating system
3. Only disadvantages in my opinion as there is not enough processing power because as the technologies advance the program will be built for computer power not tablet power and those two won't intersect for years to come
DJ Barticus 3:28 AM - 9 October, 2015
2. Serato will never (or at least should never) develop a full fledged program for a mobile operating system

I take issue with this, if the mobile OS is powerful enough, and with enough storage why not. Never is a long long time.
DJ Baby Boy 3:38 AM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
I take issue with this, if the mobile OS is powerful enough, and with enough storage why not. Never is a long long time.

As of right now look at the issues that people are having with full fledged OS' on an actual computer ... Even with all of the advancements that tablets and mobile operating systems have made they still only have a fraction of the power that a laptop has and unless personal computers are eliminated all together it is more than likely to stay that way
DJ Barticus 5:25 AM - 9 October, 2015
Right now they might not be powerful enough, in the future I wouldn't mind having a powerful tablet that has nothing but my music library on it
AlxRyde 6:08 AM - 9 October, 2015
Get a surface pro? I've seen people successfully run SDJ on those in the past.
Riko Roos 12:07 PM - 9 October, 2015
I do run it on a tablet. And if you look what DJ player does on a normal ipad, it all depends on the programmer. In other words, even an iPad 4 should be able to do it...
rickymart 2:26 PM - 9 October, 2015
I wonder what specific functions in Serato DJ folks here think the current crop of Apple's proprietary A9X processors couldn't do.

Bear in mind also that when the 64-bit iPhone 5s came out in 2013, Algoriddim added key detection, match and shift to djay.

And now, a couple of weeks ago, John Gruber did some initial CPU benchmarks on the latest iPhones and concluded that,

"The new iPhone 6S beats the new MacBook in single-core performance on Geekbench, and is within spitting distance in multi-core. That’s astounding. I can’t wait to see the scores for the iPad Pro later this year."

So, who knows what the future will bring in iOS apps like the already DVS-ready DJ Player, for example, which recently teased a soon-to-arrive major upgrade.
DJ Baby Boy 2:54 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
Get a surface pro? I've seen people successfully run SDJ on those in the past.

Despite the fact that they are barely over minimum system requirements they are actually running a full operating system and not a mobile operating system so I'd categorize that as a laptop not a tablet ... The main reasoning is because the OP is asking about an iPad which for arguments sake I would put in the same category as an amazon fire or galaxy tab and other tablets as such because those are tablets running a mobile OS
DJ Master T 6:59 PM - 9 October, 2015
What about RAM? mobile devices are still short in this area. Suppose all the hardware complies all requirements, personally don't like the small screen. How many djs use a MacBook air?
Djkom 8:21 PM - 9 October, 2015
Have you seen the very new Microsoft Surface Book?? This hybrid tablet/laptop IS A MONSTER!!!

The concept is really dope !!!! But the OS (Windows) is the problem because of these fucking virus and anti virus .... Can't wait to see Apple bring this idea to a next level !!!

In all the cases, Serato has to adapt asap its UI because he convergence between tablet and laptop will for sure happen soon or later...Rekordbox DJ is clearly above alll competitors in this area thanks to its preparation/export mode and its performance mode, almost all features can be used with fingertips...
Djkom 9:59 AM - 10 October, 2015
www.microsoft.com

The surface book beside a CDJ player...the message is clear, isn't it ? :) :) :)
DJStevieP 3:26 PM - 10 October, 2015
@DJkom sounds like you haven't used Windows in a long time. Unless you're visiting the sketchiest sites on the 'net (which can affect your OSX just as much) Windows has an antivirus built into the OS itself now since 8.

If you wait on Apple, you'll be waiting a while. They're still using bloody Haswell.
deejdave 2:45 AM - 12 October, 2015
Quote:
"The new iPhone 6S beats the new MacBook in single-core performance on Geekbench, and is within spitting distance in multi-core. That’s astounding. I can’t wait to see the scores for the iPad Pro later this year."

Lets be honest here the new MacBooks are not really considered a tool of the trade here. They are not even up to par with a proper MacBook Air which I would never personally use either.

I do however see some potential for iOS mobile DJing due to the extremely low latency not even found with MacBook Pro's. DJ Player again is absolutely amazing and the new version will be adding STEM support. Pacemaker is another amazing DJ app and HELL even Serato just released their Pyro app. ALL of these apps are iOS only but Djay 2 I believe has android support so there is some hope there.

I use these for fun and that is as far as that goes. I could see myself using if if I HAD to but in terms of preference I will always go with the power and stability. Until the day a mobile device has a real benchmark win over Laptops (not beating out the new MacBook) I will stick with what works for me. I am by NO means technologically stubborn but I am however realistic. We just are not there yet........................... I think we will be though.

Quote:
www.microsoft.com

The surface book beside a CDJ player...the message is clear, isn't it ? :) :) :)

Not CDJ's. What exactly is the message here? The players have nothing to do with the thing next to it. Those are old discontinued DVJ-1000's that don't even hook up to the laptop let alone a tablet as it (DVJ-1000) does not even have USB.
Djkom 7:31 AM - 12 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
www.microsoft.com

Not CDJ's. What exactly is the message here? The players have nothing to do with the thing next to it. Those are old discontinued DVJ-1000's that don't even hook up to the laptop let alone a tablet as it (DVJ-1000) does not even have USB.

You're right, it's not a cdj ...😋 I'm not a Pioneer expert. I think the message Microsoft is trying to deliver with this photo is that the Surface Book can be used in a live music production context. In marketing world all details matter, and the fact that there is a player in front of a crowd means that Microsoft want to touch the Djs/Producers by telling the Surface Book is strong enough to make live music...
Since there is not yet available dvs solution Windows 10 and the Surface Book, they can't explicitly show a djs who mix on it...but for sure Microsoft will make a video once everything will be on point because Microsoft want to compete the macbooks pro in their areas (music, photos, videos, 3d tools...)
Cire 10:19 AM - 4 December, 2015
I used Serato for years, but been djay-ing with the djay app on iPad now PROfessionally in major venues from NY to LA and Miami with not one crash, easier control, less stuff to carry and 18,000 perfectly synced songs. Still don't understand why everyone's fearing the future. It's incredible how stable, how good the key lock and harmonics sound... And u can grab 2 pads for the price of one "pro" laptop. If you like the interface of Serato ... Stick with it, but don't believe that pads and mobile OS aren't stable ...I did a recent gig to several thousand for 10 hours on 1 charge... If I had wifi I could have trusted in the club, I could have walked around and dj'd from the VIP using AirPlay ...embrace it Serato, mobile is the future, more and more pro's opting for USB keys and no software at all...before pioneer and djay win the battle ... ....make us options worth having...
deejdave 5:48 PM - 4 December, 2015
Djay is great but that would be Djay Pro. Djay 2 is not winning any of its current customers hearts let alone new ones community.algoriddim.com[id]=16376508#reply_16376508

Trust that I am more than willing to give the credit where it is due. I use just about all software I can get my hands on as much as I can. I do not use Serato due to lack of options or because I like the SDJ logo. If there are ANY mobile options worth mentioning it would be DJ Player Pro. With the new version supporting STEMS and the brand new GUI. Djay 2 is good don't get me wrong but it is by no means a pro solution.................... yet. Not for noting Techtools just did their annual key comparison article and guess what software was not even mentioned djtechtools.com.................. again it's just not there yet.

It does not offer DVS, The platter movement is by algoriddim's own disclosure an emulation and not even a 1:1. You can't even edit beat grids.................... that's it right there. I have quite a bit more but is there a need to go on.

Lastly:

djtechtools.com
Quote:
embrace it Serato, mobile is the future, more and more pro's opting for USB keys and no software at all

Keep in mind a.) Mobile has almost NOTHING to do with using USB keys and b.) it was Rekordbox who just became like Serato with RBDJ's library handling etc. because the USB key thing was not winning enough DJ's over.......................... NOT the other way around.
Mr. Goodkat 10:23 PM - 4 December, 2015
its seems like it would be hard to get the same quality of sound thru a ipad 1/8in to RCA to a mixer.
deejdave 9:55 PM - 5 December, 2015
Quote:
its seems like it would be hard to get the same quality of sound thru a ipad 1/8in to RCA to a mixer.

I highly doubt any pro would EVER use the standard headphone jack as their output choice. You wouldn;t even be able to monitor without using a splitter cable.

The same interfaces, mixers & controllers are used with iOS devices and MacBooks. As a matter of fact there is less latency in using iOS than even my best MacBook Pro.

I use a Apple thunderbolt to USB adapter which goes to the powered USB hub and I then hook up my devices and go from there. Pretty handy and all and again the almost zero latency is great BUT the overall experience is not quite like using a laptop and I don't think it ever could be. If for no other reason than the masses they cater to.

I'm not gonna lie the DDJ-SX / DJ Player (iOS) combo is pretty bad ass btw.
pdidy 4:26 AM - 6 December, 2015
Quote:
I used Serato for years, but been djay-ing with the djay app on iPad now PROfessionally in major venues from NY to LA and Miami with not one crash, easier control, less stuff to carry and 18,000 perfectly synced songs. Still don't understand why everyone's fearing the future. It's incredible how stable, how good the key lock and harmonics sound... And u can grab 2 pads for the price of one "pro" laptop. If you like the interface of Serato ... Stick with it, but don't believe that pads and mobile OS aren't stable ...I did a recent gig to several thousand for 10 hours on 1 charge... If I had wifi I could have trusted in the club, I could have walked around and dj'd from the VIP using AirPlay ...embrace it Serato, mobile is the future, more and more pro's opting for USB keys and no software at all...before pioneer and djay win the battle ... ....make us options worth having...

Well this is the internet and people pretend to be anything they want to be........

That being said, Can you prove anything you previously said ?
For example : photo documentation, your dj name and website, youtube vids, venue flyers from NY to LA and Miami.
Bum bum 3:46 PM - 10 February, 2016
Quote:

"Digital will never replace film!!" Remeber that? Was less than 10 years ago.
deejdave 5:21 PM - 10 February, 2016
Don't remember that actually. I remember when dvd's were created vhs could not be phased out faster.
deejdave 5:23 PM - 10 February, 2016
And to clarify I could understand creating one but not with the intent of replacing the primary product and not until mobile hardware catches up to laptop/desktop capabilities.
deejdave 5:24 PM - 10 February, 2016
And just as an FYI it was more like 20 years ago as far as I can remember.
Bum bum 5:24 PM - 10 February, 2016
I agree, it's about "not until" vs. "never" ;-)
938MyDJ 2:49 AM - 11 February, 2016
I'm not gonna lie the DDJ-SX / DJ Player (iOS) combo is pretty bad ass btw.***

Did you map this yourself, deejdave?
deejdave 3:53 AM - 11 February, 2016
Kind of but not 100%. They have a DDJ-SB mapping (native in DJ Player setup) that you can load which believe it or not maps many if not most of the functions including platters and performance pads :) Then from there you can add/edit any further functions and/or buttons. The DB mapping saved me a ton of time and the things I did have to map were sooooo freakin easy I think I had it 100% mapped in under an hour. Then again I have quite a bit of mapping experience (especially with the SX) as I map just about all SW I use.
938MyDJ 4:42 PM - 11 February, 2016
Nice to know! I might give this a shot anytime soon.

Thanks for the info 😃

PS: I used to be good even on complex mapping. So I think I can make my SX2 work too.
Mr. Goodkat 10:01 AM - 23 November, 2016
has anyone used the dvs with dj player pro? just wondered how it was.
deejdave 10:19 PM - 23 November, 2016
Have. VERY tight as I have come to expect with DJ Player Pro.
Mr. Goodkat 10:53 PM - 23 November, 2016
Quote:

looks pretty cool, how was the sound quality in comparison to the other dvs systems?

after i thought about it, i assume the only draw back is that you can't have external hds and you have to use whats in the memory(128gb being the largest) ? or is there a work around.
deejdave 11:15 PM - 23 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

looks pretty cool, how was the sound quality in comparison to the other dvs systems?

after i thought about it, i assume the only draw back is that you can't have external hds and you have to use whats in the memory(128gb being the largest) ? or is there a work around.

Yes and no. If you are willing to use streaming you have Deezer support and TBH what I mainly use is Dropbox. I have used DJ Player Pro mostly with STEMS as I love how Gabor integrated the support. I also love how connected he is to his community. The sound of DJ Player Pro is top notch and the latency is staggeringly non existent. My actual disdain for iTunes follows through straight through to my mobile devices. I use Apple only for mobile (iPad and two iPhones) as well as Apple for my performance (DJing) machines and yet I still don't use iTunes for anything other than purchasing Apps, SYNCing Serato Remote, and on the rare occasion purchasing tunes exclusive to iTunes. Other than that never. Point being I don't really store music on my phone and don't really know any tricks to help out with storage shortage issues due to this. TBH I use 16 GB iPhones to this day and I never run into storage issues because of this and yet I have a staggering amount of apps mostly being DJing/ producing in nature. I use Spotify Premium for Djay Pro, Pacemaker & Serato Pyro. I use Deezer Premium for DJ Player Pro and Edjing. Pulselocker Premium for Splyce and Soundcloud for Cross (Mixvibes) and edjing again. Dropbox also comes in handy as I mentioned earlier with 1 TB for $9.99 a mo.

On the rare occasion I DO want to have music stored locally (camping etc.) I actually use Rekordbox mobile app which adds music to iPhone without the need for iTunes LOL.

Anyways point being I have my actual library I use with Serato, Rekordbox and Traktor SYNCed to Dropbox which is very convenient indeed as I know it like the back of my hand :)