DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mixing/ Beat Juggling

EXM 12:27 AM - 7 October, 2015
Would you consider this a bad mix?

I have a track playing where the phrase is in 8 bar count. I do some beat juggling with scratching in the juggle. The track is no longer in 8 bar count it is in a 10 bar count. The incoming track is cued up in phrase on the 1. When both tracks play together the phrases blend the 2 tracks are phrase matched. So the mix is blended properly it's beatmatched and phrase matched though a change in timing. Without the juggle it would of played 8-8, with the juggle it would of played 10-8. When I say the phrases matched what I mean is after the juggle the phrases are still matched, not before the juggle don't get it twisted.
Davideon 11:10 AM - 7 October, 2015
Can you post a link to it?
EXM 1:53 PM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:

A link?!
EXM 1:54 PM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

A link?!

It's a basic transition between 2 tracks.
Logisticalstyles 2:46 PM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A link?!

It's a basic transition between 2 tracks.

But your question was "Would you consider this a bad mix?"

Ultimately we'd have to hear it to tell you whether it's a bad mix. All of the technical theory in the world don't mean a thing if the mix SOUNDS bad.
Davideon 3:16 PM - 7 October, 2015
I did a scratch where I moved the record back and forth, and as I did this I moved the cross fader in and out 4 times.

Did it sound good?
jprime 4:48 PM - 7 October, 2015
I feel like you could have been a touch more aggressive when moving the fader back to an open position based on your typing.
skinnyguy 6:26 PM - 7 October, 2015
But his typing was pretty aggressive tho =P
Davideon 9:06 PM - 7 October, 2015
Ok I took your points onboard and redid it. Does it sound better?
EXM 9:29 PM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:
Ok I took your points onboard and redid it. Does it sound better?

There is nothing to do with the mix sounding bad. Ha

I can draw a picture of the different ways the mix can be done if it's hard to understand. It's a question regarding timing.
Gio Alex 9:36 PM - 7 October, 2015
Haha ya'll our trynna bait him. Sometimes I love this forum.
Gio Alex 9:36 PM - 7 October, 2015
Are*

I see we still don't have an edit button in here.
Davideon 7:04 AM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
would you consider this a bad mix?

Quote:

Ok, so what are you asking?
EXM 10:57 AM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
would you consider this a bad mix?

Quote:
Ok, so what are you asking?

I am asking for opinions @davideon. If you don't have an opinion why are you posting anything? GTFOH
Davideon 11:39 AM - 8 October, 2015
Opinions on what? At first you ask if it is a bad mix, then you say it has nothing to do with sounding bad. So what are you asking?

And unless you post the audio it is Impossible to answer.

Your best bet is to do what anyone with a grain of common sense would do: try it and see.

Smh
EXM 12:10 PM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
Opinions on what? At first you ask if it is a bad mix, then you say it has nothing to do with sounding bad. So what are you asking?

Your best bet is to do what anyone with a grain of common sense would do: try it and see.

Smh

It is a question about timing/ theory @Davideon. I am playing 2 tracks and they are both beat matched and phrase matched. One track is playing one is cued. On the playing track I hit auto loop this changes the timing. The cued track needs to be phrase matched again as the 2 tracks timing changed. Some would say it doesn't matter some would say it does. Meaning the mix should keep the same phrase entirely throughout.
Davideon 2:15 PM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Smh

It is a question about timing/ theory @Davideon. I am playing 2 tracks and they are both beat matched and phrase matched. One track is playing one is cued. On the playing track I hit auto loop this changes the timing. The cued track needs to be phrase matched again as the 2 tracks timing changed. Some would say it doesn't matter some would say it does. Meaning the mix should keep the same phrase entirely throughout.

That's not even what you said in your original post. You've changed what you're thinking of.

And theory is theory. Just bloody do it

Smh
EXM 4:09 PM - 8 October, 2015
What is the difference between the two posts? This could be done with Hot Cue, Slicer, Beatjuggling, Auto Loop. The point is the track changed from 8 bars to 10 bars. If there were more tracks involved the songs would play where there is a change every 8 bars in the same track or the next track. Altering the playing track from 8 bars to 10 bars changes the timing where now there is not a change every 8 bars. There is still changes every 8 bars but there is a point that there is not a change every 8 bars or multiple points.
deezlee 4:46 PM - 8 October, 2015
Yeah a 10 bar intro or whatever may sound a little weird. Unless it doesn't.
Live music often has changes at 4/8/16 bar intervals. Except when it doesn't.
Davideon 5:06 PM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
What is the difference between the two posts? This could be done with Hot Cue, Slicer, Beatjuggling, Auto Loop. The point is the track changed from 8 bars to 10 bars. If there were more tracks involved the songs would play where there is a change every 8 bars in the same track or the next track. Altering the playing track from 8 bars to 10 bars changes the timing where now there is not a change every 8 bars. There is still changes every 8 bars but there is a point that there is not a change every 8 bars or multiple points.

Well, it would be best to keep it at 4/8 . Whatever you do may sound good and be smooth, but the natural flow of the song will be off a bit. But most punters wouldn't realise.

But if you are mixing in a song at the same time it won't work as well
EXM 2:25 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:

The only reason it would change from 8bars to 10bars would be the juggle. I was talking to another DJ he said there should still be a change in music every 8 bars "It's personal preference". This made me question my abilities as there is then a rule in place I had never wanted to know. Lol. It's hard to get really creative and be restricted to such a rule.
deezlee 3:55 PM - 16 October, 2015
music doesn't have to follow 4/8/16 bar changes.
that said, if the song that you are playing is structured a certain way (4/8/16 bar changes for example) then it might sound weird to change it "by accident"
EXM 4:05 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
music doesn't have to follow 4/8/16 bar changes.
that said, if the song that you are playing is structured a certain way (4/8/16 bar changes for example) then it might sound weird to change it "by accident"

What do you mean "by accident"?
Davideon 8:26 PM - 16 October, 2015
Lmfao
deezlee 9:43 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
Some would say it doesn't matter some would say it does.

Just play the tracks in Pyro and do what it does!
Mr. Goodkat 10:56 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

yessssss
Thundercat 1:09 AM - 17 October, 2015
Quote:

So much win right there ^^

All the musical theories in the world don't mean jack if it sounds bad in practice. Which brings me to the conclusion that I would have to hear it to tell if it was a bad mix. Or are you incapable of doing it?
EXM 7:45 AM - 20 October, 2015
I feel if the phrase is matched its a clean mix, It shouldn't matter what happens to the track as long as the transition is phrase matched
EXM 7:50 AM - 20 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah you can press play on a track and it be in 8 bar phrase count and the incoming track be in 8 bar phrase count

If you juggle the track its not going to have the same change as the rest of the track that has a change every 8 bars
DJ Matty Stiles 5:05 PM - 20 October, 2015
Hey guys I just did a mix between 2 tracks. The first track was on the left deck. The second track on the right. In order to get from one track to the other I used the crossfader from track A to track B. The only thing is, I'm not sure if it sounded good. Would really appreciate some feedback!
EXM 9:42 PM - 20 October, 2015
Hell Yea!