DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

NI Maschine

sumoJr 5:26 PM - 5 October, 2015
anyone got one of these?
I picked one up used for fun, or so I thought
Ive never done any sort of production and have no idea how to use it
if anyone has a few links to tutorials and such let me know

thanks
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:27 PM - 5 October, 2015
Quote:
anyone got one of these?
I picked one up used for fun, or so I thought
Ive never done any sort of production and have no idea how to use it
if anyone has a few links to tutorials and such let me know

thanks

ive got one and it turned out to be one of the most unnecessary pieces of equipment i own
sumoJr 8:29 PM - 5 October, 2015
haha, what are you using it for though?
not really looking to place it into my dj work flow, I looked up a few youtube tutorials but shits over my head,
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:23 PM - 5 October, 2015
Quote:
haha, what are you using it for though?
not really looking to place it into my dj work flow, I looked up a few youtube tutorials but shits over my head,

i bought if for production and live performance. I realized QUICKLY that finger drumming anything other than a simple kick snare beat was above my level so that ruled out live performance. kinda the same thing with producing where i would use it to drum out a beat then have to go back in and fix shit with the mouse...then id realise it would have been easier to just start with the mouse. Also you could not just import an mp3 to sample without converting it which seemed like an obvious design flaw.

I think it would be a great piece of equipment if you were already used to pad style production but just mouse clicking seems easier to me personally..I also think the "scene' setup or whatever is super confusing
Dj Shamann 10:32 PM - 7 October, 2015
When I actually have time to use it, I love it. I have a production background so it wasn't hard to learn for me, but in the earlier stages (I bought it when it came out) it was almost too basic. And I'm not some super advanced beat maker but I have larger studio experience and was too used to those kinds of toys at the time.

In it's current form there's so much more going on and it's a great tool. For remixing I use vocals on Ableton as slave, building the beat in Maschine. Alternatively you can run Maschine as a plugin in Ableton.

But to get started, just hit up Youtube. I don't watch tutorials so I don't know many channels but there's two guys that come to mind:

St Joe: www.youtube.com

Knock Squared: www.youtube.com

They have a website: maschinetutorials.com

The reason I know about St. Joe is because he does great software reviews, so before I pick up a new expansion pack I usually check to see if he's gone over it yet. (although lately I've been picking up expansion packs before he's gotten to them)

I don't think he does tutorials on that channel, but a quick Google brought up something else which is a bonus.

www.lynda.com

He's got a course on Lynda.com and they have some thorough material, so it might be worth it to check out.
sumoJr 12:49 AM - 8 October, 2015
thanks, nothing to advanced for me
I sure many djs end up walking around making up beats in their heads
I just thought it be fun to try
Dj Shamann 1:39 AM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:

All you gotta do is get to that point. Once you pass the initial stage of "I don't know WTF is going on here" to the part where the lightbulbs start going off, it becomes a lot of fun. Just focus on that and it'll be much easier in the long run.
MPC O.G. 1:58 AM - 8 October, 2015
Let me just drop this right here....
Watchwww.youtube.com
sumoJr 4:12 AM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

All you gotta do is get to that point. Once you pass the initial stage of "I don't know WTF is going on here" to the part where the lightbulbs start going off, it becomes a lot of fun. Just focus on that and it'll be much easier in the long run.

I hope to get there
after the technical curve of learning a new hardware,

going to keep youtubing and googling was just hoping people on here had some resources Ive yet to come across

thanks again
CMOS 8:24 PM - 8 October, 2015
I like maschine as a plugin and a controller better than i do using their software for everything.

In ableton i mainly use it for drums, love that a lot of places include prebuilt maschine kits when you buy drum samples. Not for the patterns but to avoid having to create my own kits for future use. For some reasons my drums from maschine always sound better than if i created the same rack in live.

The one thing i dont like is having to route the audio out of maschine into other audio tracks for further use in live. Not much dragging and dropping happening between the two.

Its a decent live controller too, can do pretty much everything in live right from Maschine once you press SHIFT + CONTROL. I like using it as a mute strip for each channel when recording the final mix for track dropouts and stabs.

Theres a lot of good stuff on youtube, NI has to me the easiest to understand videos:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

www.youtube.com

Also heres a site with a free sample pack that have maschine kits in them:

www.goldbaby.co.nz
sumoJr 9:03 PM - 8 October, 2015
all that stuff you just wrote, I have no idea what you mean (yet)
I ll check out these links too..

thanks
avx 7:57 PM - 8 February, 2016
Is there a good preset to use for using Machine with Serato? I'm tempted to get a Pioneer SP1 but may not need it at all if I use a good Maschine mapping.
Mr. Goodkat 5:16 PM - 9 February, 2016
you realize you can map it yourself?