DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pyro! Some folks saw this coming years ago. Fact or Fiction?

Thundercat 9:57 PM - 30 September, 2015
Serato's new music app - Pyro

www.nzherald.co.nz

Discuss.

from the article:
Quote:
So how does it work?

Pyro taps into all the music you have in your iTunes and, very simply, lets you create a playlist. You can add as many or few songs as you like, and Pyro will then keep selecting songs from your collection, based on what you've already chosen. It will also beat-match the songs, so that as one song comes to an end and the next one starts, you get a smooth mix, with no silence in between or clashing beats - like a DJ would.

It's very simple to add or remove tracks as you go, or re-order them without any disruption. If you want to skip part of a track, you can, and the app will keep the music playing on the beat. It also has a 'DJ Sort' function, which will sort your songs into a smoother sequence for a better mix, if you so desire.

"When you shuffle music on a normal music player, it puts it in a completely random order, but with Pyro, when you hit the button, it doesn't shuffle the songs randomly, it puts the songs in an order so that the tempos are compatible. It maintains variation so the tempos are still going up and down, but it tries to make them as compatible as possible."

I ain't even mad
DJ Reflex 10:21 PM - 30 September, 2015
Nah, me neither. I'll still be booked solid.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:59 PM - 30 September, 2015
So THAT is why Serato DJ sucks and doesn't work right?

They spent too much time perfecting THAT shit for the masses.....

Can't be mad tho,,,,

Get that App money (and hire mo' people to make SDJ work like SSL)
Culprit 12:24 AM - 1 October, 2015
Ill buy the app if they can make it work with serato dj so I can play music like this at weddings or setup situations..

Not sure if AJ even hears or gives a shit what we think to be honest tho..,
Matterhorn 1:03 AM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
Ill buy the app if they can make it work with serato dj so I can play music like this at weddings or setup situations..

Not sure if AJ even hears or gives a shit what we think to be honest tho..,

This is EXACTLY where this is heading. Soon we won't need mp3s.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:06 AM - 1 October, 2015
I'll be back....
DJ Matty Stiles 1:22 AM - 1 October, 2015
Maybe with new rekordbox DVS on the horizon they wanted to look outside the box, expand their business platform so all their eggs arnt in one basket. Deliberate strategic move
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:14 AM - 1 October, 2015
Sh*t just got real.....
Β 6 4:07 AM - 1 October, 2015
Only paranoid/wack DJ's should be threatened by this.

"An app is never going to DJ as well as a good human, so DJs aren't threatened by it" Bertenshaw explains. "I was talking to Jazzy Jeff about it yesterday, and he was excited because the way he sees it, if everyone starts using this app, then the world will be listening to music on the beat, being properly mixed, and it will raise the bar for DJs everywhere."

nm
Culprit 6:01 AM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:

"An app is never going to DJ as well as a good human, so DJs aren't threatened by it" Bertenshaw explains. "I was talking to Jazzy Jeff about it yesterday, and he was excited because the way he sees it, if everyone starts using this app, then the world will be listening to music on the beat, being properly mixed, and it will raise the bar for DJs everywhere."

nm

truth, im not worried about it, id actually use it for weddings and small parties during dinners and such :)
Taipanic 2:57 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:

"An app is never going to DJ as well as a good human, so DJs aren't threatened by it"

Not really. Apps like this (and Pandora/Slacker/etc...) do take away jobs from working DJs. It's not going to replace anyone in a Vegas Club but let's be honest - the majority of DJs are working small, crappy places and/or doing events rather than huge clubs. These might be bottom feeder jobs but if they aren't out there that just makes more fish trying to get the same piece of bait.
I think the real question is the possibility of most DJ jobs going by the wayside eventually. At some point the logic & technology will improve so much, along with the ever easier catalog availability that many bars & events will choose the cheaper, automated mode.
With this new app, you could, in theory, program a complete wedding, with pre-recorded announcements, special dances, cake cutting, etc... Someone hits play when the reception starts and it ends four hours later. Never would be as good as a professional DJ/Emcee doing it live but how many of these people looking for $250 Craigslist DJs would jump at that. Rent the sound system with preprogrammed "custom" wedding reception for $300. All DJ had to do was record a few announcements, drag tracks into playlist, and set up gear, come back later to pick it all up. Could do 10 of those a day...
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:17 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

"An app is never going to DJ as well as a good human, so DJs aren't threatened by it"

Not really. Apps like this (and Pandora/Slacker/etc...) do take away jobs from working DJs. It's not going to replace anyone in a Vegas Club but let's be honest - the majority of DJs are working small, crappy places and/or doing events rather than huge clubs. These might be bottom feeder jobs but if they aren't out there that just makes more fish trying to get the same piece of bait.
I think the real question is the possibility of most DJ jobs going by the wayside eventually. At some point the logic & technology will improve so much, along with the ever easier catalog availability that many bars & events will choose the cheaper, automated mode.
With this new app, you could, in theory, program a complete wedding, with pre-recorded announcements, special dances, cake cutting, etc... Someone hits play when the reception starts and it ends four hours later. Never would be as good as a professional DJ/Emcee doing it live but how many of these people looking for $250 Craigslist DJs would jump at that. Rent the sound system with preprogrammed "custom" wedding reception for $300. All DJ had to do was record a few announcements, drag tracks into playlist, and set up gear, come back later to pick it all up. Could do 10 of those a day...

I agree with this 100%. Those def won't replace the guys playing at the high dollar market but as someone who is currently between residences in a small market I can see it having an effect on my prospects. Ive been to several of the more popular clubs in my area looking for work just to see a guy on a laptop or a phone hitting next all night. When I approach about a job the end result is the manager saying no because theyd rather pay captian ipad in beer to sit there all night hitting the next button instead of actially paying me to string songs together. Now this app wont TAKE a job from me as these jobs are already being given to guys who dont mix at all but it does add validity to the guys sitting there hitting next and puts them one step closer to doing what I do.
Β 6 6:21 PM - 1 October, 2015
Any bar or club or whatever that doesn't mind having a system like this in place or a guy who just sits there and pushes play without mixing is a place I would never want to work in the first place.

Like I said, you're only threatened by this because you won't do more than what this program actually does.

nm
Β 6 6:23 PM - 1 October, 2015
For instance, at a wedding. Would this program handle the MC stuff? No. How about how a DJ keeps moving things along? Nope.

At a bar, no different than a jukebox already in place. Well, except for the mixing part but really. Who cares about the actual mixing nowadays. Only people who want to dance. So, this takes care of an aspect of DJing but not the entire thing.

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:50 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
Any bar or club or whatever that doesn't mind having a system like this in place or a guy who just sits there and pushes play without mixing is a place I would never want to work in the first place.

which is fine to say when there are alternatives. If I say that here then im essentially saying im not gonna work
Β 6 7:06 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

which is fine to say when there are alternatives. If I say that here then im essentially saying im not gonna work

Correct. Why would you even want to work at a place that offers that? It's a place that I'm sure would hire anyone for $10 an hour and have them do what you do. You're better off starting your own events.

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:46 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Correct. Why would you even want to work at a place that offers that? It's a place that I'm sure would hire anyone for $10 an hour and have them do what you do. You're better off starting your own events.

nm

to do my own events id STILL have to go to these venues lol
Logisticalstyles 8:05 PM - 1 October, 2015
Might be time to move.
Β 6 8:45 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
Might be time to move.

If DJing was a full time job, but I don't think it is for Bezzle.

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:01 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Might be time to move.

If DJing was a full time job, but I don't think it is for Bezzle.

nm

I dont see how anyone in my market could be a full time dj without some kinda second income. Even with mobiles. Up until a few weeks ago I WAS working Wed through Sunday at a club but now that that rides over im having to find some place new and the struggles real lol.
Cuervo 9:27 PM - 1 October, 2015
So eventually i am going to lost my part time job, i got a friend who owns a great sound system, two yeas ago he didnt know about Serato, he was using virtual dj, we met at a party and we started to work together doing sweet 16, 15aΓ±eras, weddings, festivals and small parties, some time ago he asked me if i can record some good mixes, i said no lol, he downloaded a few mixes from youtube, soundcloud and some other DJ pages, now he only hire my services for sweet 16 and 15aΓ±eras, he is doing all the other stuff playing mixes from other DJs, i hope he wont know about Pyro real soon lol.

I wanted to buy my own sound system but this makes me think about it, anyone with money can buy a good sound system and use Pyro the people dont care what do you use, what they want is just to have fun in my area the mobile business is saturated.
Rebelguy 9:58 PM - 1 October, 2015
I hate to admit it but I can very easily see AI (Artificial Intelligence) getting to a point in a few years that DJs could be replaced.

This is somewhat off topic but if you have some time check out this video from 2014 which talks about humans being replaced in various jobs by machines. Music compositions is one of them.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Β 6 10:21 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
So eventually i am going to lost my part time job, i got a friend who owns a great sound system, two yeas ago he didnt know about Serato, he was using virtual dj, we met at a party and we started to work together doing sweet 16, 15aΓ±eras, weddings, festivals and small parties, some time ago he asked me if i can record some good mixes, i said no lol, he downloaded a few mixes from youtube, soundcloud and some other DJ pages, now he only hire my services for sweet 16 and 15aΓ±eras, he is doing all the other stuff playing mixes from other DJs, i hope he wont know about Pyro real soon lol.

I wanted to buy my own sound system but this makes me think about it, anyone with money can buy a good sound system and use Pyro the people dont care what do you use, what they want is just to have fun in my area the mobile business is saturated.

There are always going to be people who would want to do their own thing and there will always be customers who will pay for services. You just need to become a good, reliable company that knows what customers to go after.

It's like any other industry.

nm
slimmjimm 12:10 AM - 2 October, 2015
People, relax.

It took how long to get MIDI, then how long after that to get MIDI lighting, and we're STILL seeing problems with USB dropouts.

You really think it's going to be THAT good to take our jerbs?
Demonstr8 12:29 AM - 2 October, 2015
Quote:
People, relax.

It took how long to get MIDI, then how long after that to get MIDI lighting, and we're STILL seeing problems with USB dropouts.

LOL @ "jerbs" πŸ˜‚
DJ Guayo 1:24 AM - 2 October, 2015
DJ Guayo 1:26 AM - 2 October, 2015
Well that didn't work. :/
DJBotz 11:31 AM - 2 October, 2015
Quote:
People, relax.

NOBODY, and I mean, NOBODY, is going to be taking my Jerb any time soon...
Dj Wunder 9:56 PM - 20 November, 2015
What do you think of this feature suggestion:

serato.com

?
dj jamalot 3:27 PM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
People, relax.

NOBODY, and I mean, NOBODY, is going to be taking my Jerb any time soon...

Good I Can use a night off Take my Jerb!
AdamWhite 5:25 AM - 12 February, 2016
... Bump.
Robejz 11:34 AM - 12 February, 2016
I just downloaded it, as it's now available in the UK. I wouldn't want to use it to listen to my music for extended periods but it works well. The mixes are on beat. Hardly any weren't phrased well. It even used 'echo out' on a couple of mixes.

I was surprised that it is free, but then I realised that (not to take anything away from the hard work Serato put in to making it) it is simply a marketing tool. DJs won't care much for it, but non-DJs might use it to listen to their music, like the idea of mixing two tracks together, and get interested in DJing. Then of course, with the Serato brand already on their phone and being synonymous with DJing, they will be more likely to buy a controller with Serato DJ.
Culprit 4:22 AM - 13 February, 2016
I'm pretty sure they are going to make money somewhere down the line on it. Possibly sell the data of the users listening to the device. I'm curious as well
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 10:03 AM - 13 February, 2016
I DJ weddings full time. I have 4 DJs on my team who I book consistently. I like sharing my knowledge with them to make them overall better at all aspects of being a good wedding DJ. An app like Pyro is why I constantly preach to them that when DJing a wedding, they are much more than just DJs. We provide so much more than music to our couples that Pyro will have 0.0000% effect on our business. But that's not a coincidence. Time to think outside the box fellas. It's not too late.
Cuervo 3:32 PM - 13 February, 2016
Well I sold my technics1210M5G and the TYM57SL, I was thinking to buy a controller, I like and I wanted the Numark NS7 III but I am waiting to see the Denon MCX8000... Can I just download Pyro and plug my iPhone to the powered speakers? So I can save the money. No more controllers, no more mixers just Pyro in action.

Just kidding...
AKIEM 5:29 AM - 15 February, 2016
lol @ defensiveness in this thread