DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Seriously messed up my Technic

Konix 4:40 AM - 24 May, 2006
OK, so I paid someone to replace the pop up light on my Technics with an LED since I didn't want to do it myself. Being I trusted the guy, I didn't check them before I paid him. When I got home and plugged it in, one of the tables constantly speeds up and down all out of wack and the light flickers. I think he seriously f'ed it up. I called him immediately to let him know, says it worked fine when he tested it. Obviously not.

Anybody have any experience with this. Am I screwed? Can this be fixed/replaced (short of buying a new table)? I'm thinking it must be something with the power supply if the light is flickering. If not I guess I'm going to have to take it to an authorized Panisonic service center.
Dj Metro 6:11 AM - 24 May, 2006
happend to me....had voltaje switch at 240v.......switch it to 120v....see if that helps
boabmatic 10:53 AM - 24 May, 2006
Did he do any work apart from the pop up light?

I've just put LED's and re-calibrated my technics and when re-calibrating the pitch you have to disconnect the pitch slider from the main board & if you don't reconnect the plug the deck acts like you've described.
Konix 2:22 PM - 24 May, 2006
Well he didn't do anything to the pitch. I already disabled the quartz lock (cut the TP17 resistor) and removed the center click 0% (cut the orange wire), but I did that a while ago and has been working fine since.

Just now after putting the LED in I can feel the table "jerking" and speed up and down randomly.

I'll check the volatage to make sure it's on 120V. I'll also reconnect the quartz lock resistor and orange wire. But I'm thinking my man shorted something out when putting in the LED. Hopefully I don't need to replace the transformer/power supply and certainly hope it ain't the motor.
boabmatic 3:15 PM - 24 May, 2006
was he using a kit like this ...

1200mkii.com

or just soldering a LED in as you would need to also add a resistor for this method?

still sounds so much like what I seen with the pitch connector removed it may be worth checking he's not knocked it out by accident...
panchito 7:39 PM - 26 June, 2006
did you figure it out Konix one of my friends has the same problem after he changed his pop up also.
deejayfatcat 8:24 PM - 26 June, 2006
I've seen this before.

It happened on one of my old decks. The pop up light came up to high (there is a rubber thing inside that stops it and it broke) and shorted out the wire in there. It burns something out on the board that controls the pitch and direction.

I had it serviced by a local tech and he got it back to spec.
panchito 8:29 PM - 26 June, 2006
thanks deejayfatcat, was it expensive to fix?
djtonypsalms 8:37 PM - 26 June, 2006
If you're in L.A.

Check Solutions:

Good luck.

Peace!
tig ol' bitties 8:41 PM - 26 June, 2006
Quote:
was he using a kit like this ...

1200mkii.com

or just soldering a LED in as you would need to also add a resistor for this method?

still sounds so much like what I seen with the pitch connector removed it may be worth checking he's not knocked it out by accident...

that seems like alot of work just to change the light to blue..i dont think i would ever let anyone do it for me unless they gauranteed(sp) it, and would replace the TT if they f'd it up..hope it worked out for you
Dj KaGeN 8:47 PM - 26 June, 2006
seems like a good way to muck up a deck just to make it look like other decks already on the market.
Konix 8:57 PM - 26 June, 2006
Quote:
did you figure it out Konix one of my friends has the same problem after he changed his pop up also.

Yes one of the transistors blew becuase the person who originally changed the pop up light to an LED used the wrong resistor. Luckly, it was a pretty simple fix. I took it to someone who knows what they are doing (DJ Supply in Warren, MI; where I should have took it in the first place) and it only costed $30 to fix.

I don't know exactly what transistor it was though so I can't help you out there. But I highly recommend DJ Supply, they fix any type of DJ equipment and real good prices.
deejayfatcat 9:01 PM - 26 June, 2006
This is going back about 10yrs, But I am remembering about $100 for the diagnostic and repair.

Good luck.
panchito 10:17 PM - 26 June, 2006
Quote:

that seems like alot of work just to change the light to blue..i dont think i would ever let anyone do it for me unless they gauranteed(sp) it, and would replace the TT if they f'd it up..hope it worked out for you

this guy changed his with a regular bulb not led and still messed it up, when he 1st asked me I thought his pitch just needed to be adjusted. but that wasn't it
panchito 10:33 PM - 26 June, 2006
thanks konix and deejayfatcat I'll tell him to take it soemwhere and get it fixed he probably blew something out.

I actually did the blue light mod on both my decks with no broblems, I guess you just have to be carefull..