Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Encoding Settings?

Johnny.S 6:43 PM - 26 September, 2015
So Naturally Im a producer and use Ableton Heavily. Now I got into making my own videos for the edits and remixes I do. Its fairly easy to use however I don't know the encoding settings and tried doing a search here but no real answer?

My question is what are the best encoding settings for video djing I notice that videos I have encoded and I played around with 720 and 1080 but they are fairly large! Right now my encoding settings in ableton are

Video Format: H.264
Data rate: 8000
Image Size: 1920x1080 HD
Frame Rate: 60
Key Frame: manual 20 frames?

are these settings to high I was thinking of just encoding them in 720 instead and bump down the frame rate to 30? At this rate my video library is going to take alot of space!

Also I am grabbing the videos from youtube using 4k Video downloader and have the smart settings on 1080 am I really grabbing 1080 or is it really just 720? because I want to know there is no point to upconvert if the quality is really 720 if you know what i mean :)

So guys appreciate the input
Thanks
Code:E 7:17 PM - 26 September, 2015
Quote:
I don't know the encoding settings and tried doing a search here but no real answer?

I have seen this asked many of times also. It seems to be a closely guarded secret by the video producer community. Trial and error seems to be the way each producer has come up with there own settings.
Quote:
I was thinking of just encoding them in 720

I doubt your ever playing on systems that would be able tell the difference between the two. So I would do 720.
Quote:
At this rate my video library is going to take alot of space!

I see guys with 4TB drive in there bag for video's.
Quote:
Also I am grabbing the videos from youtube

Ya since I just read that. Don't expect ANY help from any producers. The video community is VERY tight knit, and don't take kindly to people cutting comers and frankly just doing it wrong. Youtube is a shit source and is not used by anyone reputable.
DJMark 11:45 PM - 26 September, 2015
I'll speak on ONE issue here: Frame Rate.

In short and in general, >>>leave it at whatever the source video's frame rate is.<<<

Unless...: you are performing inverse telecine to convert interlaced 29.97 source to 23.976 progressive, or handling some arcane issue like a video with doubled frames.

Great way to produce a really shitty-looking video that (obviously or less-obviously) makes people feel uncomfortable watching: mindlessly and uninformedly screw around with the frame rate.

Unfortunately, I see too many videos from supposedly "reputable" sources where they've done exactly that, more than enough said.
Johnny.S 12:58 AM - 27 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Also I am grabbing the videos from youtube

Ya since I just read that. Don't expect ANY help from any producers. The video community is VERY tight knit, and don't take kindly to people cutting comers and frankly just doing it wrong. Youtube is a shit source and is not used by anyone reputable.

Really thats so strange I learned producing through youtube but this sounds ridiculous that video is tight knit Hello we in 2015 lol just my opinion..

Anyways where else would I actually grab the videos then? Vimeo??

and thanks Code E!
Code:E 10:29 PM - 27 September, 2015
Quote:
Anyways where else would I actually grab the videos then? Vimeo??

From the labels them self.
Culprit 4:19 AM - 9 November, 2015
Hey Johnny,

you dont really need anything above 720p currently. I mean you can do 1080p if you want but I dont find it too necessary.

720p, 5k Birate, 320k AAC
640p 3.5k Birate, 320 AAC

Match the framerate of the source.

Anything with ghosting or extra frames your ganna have to IVTC which is damn near impossible on a Mac. Easier to do on a pc, but for what your using (Ableton) I think its alright.
DJ Tecniq 7:54 AM - 17 November, 2015
DJ Baby Boy 8:01 AM - 17 November, 2015
Quote:
Get with a legit video pool.
www.smashvision.net
www.xtendamix.com
www.avdistrict.net

**Fixed**

Crooklyn Clan isn't a pool but is a good source for remixes as they have some of the best editors out there ... And BPM is horrible all the way around Not legal in the slightest and their videos are really bad too and 9 out of 10 are improperly encoded
DJ Tecniq 9:49 AM - 17 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Get with a legit video pool.
www.smashvision.net
www.xtendamix.com
www.avdistrict.net

**Fixed**

Crooklyn Clan isn't a pool but is a good source for remixes as they have some of the best editors out there ... And BPM is horrible all the way around Not legal in the slightest and their videos are really bad too and 9 out of 10 are improperly encoded
my bad but you are right i have seen the same video edits from videotoolz on bpm supreme. Not all but some editors. I've have seen some fucked up videos from club killers as well. Guess it's just finding the right source.
max_imus 1:06 AM - 17 March, 2016
After a quick glance at those websites, I have a hard time imagining anyone of them are actually legit, or that any artists actually get any money from them...