Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Previous versions of Serato DJ on my computer

gjerrus 8:51 PM - 23 September, 2015
I just updated to DJ 1.7.8. I Noticed that 1.7.3 is still on my computer desktop. So now both versions (which are exactly identical) are fully accessible making it hard to figure out which one is which before i open the file to play. Can I delete 1.7.3 with out causing any problems? I thought when you upgrade it automatically over wrote the old program? Please give me some advice.

After completing this post, It just came to me that maybe I should wait to delete 1.7.3 until this weeks gigs play out, in case there is a possibility that 1.7.8 doesn't work at a venue.

Please respond regardless so I know what my approach should be and understand this whole Serato DJ conversation.

Thank You very much

Gjerrus
deejdave 2:49 AM - 24 September, 2015
There is no harm in keeping both. Furthermore there is no harm in deleting either one. With Windows the older version gets replaced (if I remember correctly) but with Mac the older version remains.
gjerrus 11:26 AM - 10 January, 2016
Hey thanks Dave and happy new year. I appreciate you responding. since then i figured it out. I have a mac btw but your information is truly respected. I just happened to run intro a bigger and much more unexpected problem tonight so i was on here trying to figure it out.

I'll keep my story short, but basically my computer updated el capitan w out me knowing and i had huge problems getting various 57's to co-opperate with my computer.

I"ll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again man.
deejdave 11:42 PM - 10 January, 2016
Sounds like a big problem indeed. Mac OSX should ask for your permission multiple times prior to installing ANY new OS. I still don't have any of my Macs on El Capitan with two running Yosemite and two running Mavericks still believe it or not. If I were you I would roll back to a previous OS and make sure El Capitan does not get installed again for a bit.

1.8.1 supposedly officially supports El Capitan but as with any OS it is best NOT to be an early adopter.
gjerrus 12:03 AM - 11 January, 2016
Definitely. I think in haste the update box probably popped up and trying to hit try later I probably hit the download option.

I am at the mac store right now. Been here since 11 am. Just backed up my entire system. I have another club gig tonight. So I was going to wipe my computer today, reload everything, and start fresh. But serato is saying that el cap is compatible for the Pioneer 900.

Called the owner to do a quick sound check, he's saying nobody will be there for another 4 hours. 😐

promoter said don't worry about it, but man.

Im pretty sure if I wipe the computer now I'm gonna have to manually load my music into serato, or at the very least have to organize it so waiting might be the best option for time. but this is not how I operate man. Ughhh. So stressed out
deejdave 12:18 AM - 11 January, 2016
Correct and Pioneer even released proper both the 900Nexus and 900SRT drivers for El Capitan but even still especially with being at the Apple store I would take advantage and downgrade OS. I would back up all your music onto an external (and continue to use external for reasons such as this) at the very least to transfer back onto the laptop after the reinstall.
Quote:
promoter said don't worry about it, but man

HAH yeah until the music won't play at which point he will have no quarrels throwing you right under the bus!! Gotta love promoters.
DaveLach 1:36 PM - 25 February, 2016
How do I safely remove previous versions of Serato DJ from Windows 10?
gjerrus 1:27 AM - 25 May, 2017
@deejaydave looking back through our conversation laughing. That "dont worry about it" quote is so classic. I appreciate all you input over time bro. I'm back here updating my serato products and thought i would look on previous forums and see if ive learned anything over time.. I have. Lol. But not enough! Serato is always adding more and more technology and gear.. I can barely keep up. Hope all is well man.

cheers
gjerrus 1:30 AM - 25 May, 2017
@DaveLach sorry for the late response man. I'm not on the serato forums ever much at all. Hope you have figured it out by now. I havent used my pc for djing in so long, but I'm pretty sure that windows overwrites older versions of software/updates with new ones.
deejdave 2:46 AM - 25 May, 2017
Quote:
@deejaydave looking back through our conversation laughing. That "dont worry about it" quote is so classic. I appreciate all you input over time bro. I'm back here updating my serato products and thought i would look on previous forums and see if ive learned anything over time.. I have. Lol. But not enough! Serato is always adding more and more technology and gear.. I can barely keep up. Hope all is well man.

cheers

LOL Likewise. Good to be in the know regarding new features but like you said this is an evolving application and DJing itself is something we will all be learning for as long as we pursue it.
gjerrus 5:33 AM - 25 May, 2017
@deejaydave your the man bro. What mixer are you using these days? Im about to go on a little mini tour through nor cal and I'm told a lot of the clubs I'm playing at are using pioneer djm-s9. You familiar at all? I dont have one but Im wondering if I should DL drivers and firmware on my mac. You got any thoughts? Ive been reading around all night but I havent found anything concrete as of yet.

Thanks in advance
deejdave 12:58 PM - 25 May, 2017
The S9 is pretty much the new standard club/scratch mixer. I think Rane has left many with the feeling of despair and no hope. I'll be honest though I had had nothing by luck using my Rane 64 on three different os's. I mainly use the 900srt even over my nxs2 believe it or not but if I am being honest I am using the controllers (sx/sz) more and more every year. I think it is the calibur of gigs I do nowadays though. With the new house and renovations my life has brought on more of a demand for constant revenue and my shin has taken a back seat. The good news is this affords me the luxury to be very picky on which gigs I do. Nothing less than $100/hr and they are small scale gigs so two speakers and a controller..........

Anyways my advice. Get on the S9 train indeed. While I and many others will always prefer a proper working Rane mixer due to sound and feel the fact is pioneer has lapped them in terms of features.
gjerrus 8:01 AM - 26 May, 2017
@deejdave Thanks man. Believe it or not Im still using the 57 at home for practice. But I do know talking to a lot of working DJs in San Francisco, Oak, Sacramento that some of the places I'll be playing out there have the djms-9. So I made sure my serrate dj was updated for compatibility and I went ahead and downloaded the s-9 drivers just in case in a file on my hard drive. Hopefully everything works seamlessly.

Congrats on the new renovations and overall good fortune bro. Always glad to here solid people living comfortably. Take it easy bro
deejdave 12:59 PM - 26 May, 2017
You as well. Give a holler if y run into any issues.