Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Setting appropriate gain levels

Otama 8:32 PM - 20 September, 2015
Hello, First let me say that up until now I have always just used the gain on my mixer to control the volume of the track playing. Not to say I didn't use auto gain it just never makes tracks equal in my experience.

Over the last few days I have been messing with trying to set the adjust the gain for each track via serato but have been noticing what I find to be odd behavior.

For example, If I set the gain via software to just below clipping on the drop for multiple songs. That the output to my mixers signal dont match up.

So lets say, Track A's drop on both serato and my mixer the indicator is just below clipping. However when I mix into Track B's drop with my mixers gain and the same position it is well below clipping sometimes hardly out of the green. Yet according to serato the track is just below clipping? Is this normal behavior?

The other thing I have noticed is that when I exit the program and come back the changes I had manually made to the gain via software have been reset? Again, is this normal behavior? If so is there a way so that I can manually adjust the gain via software and never have to touch it again?

Am I fighting a losing battle trying to get the multiple gain controls to be in "sync"?
Otama 8:33 PM - 20 September, 2015
Btw, I am using a pioneer ddj-sz and macbook pro. (No way to edit posts?)
DJ Tecniq 4:59 AM - 23 September, 2015
Have you tried the master gain in SDJ? Because you are using a controller you have the master gain option like Scratchlive has. However I would highly suggest disabling auto gain as I have experienced similar issues. For example the same tracks I preview in Scratchlive are nowhere near the clipping signal but If I preview/play them in SDJ they look as if they are clipping. I have an SL3 and there unfortunately is no Master gain option in SDJ like Scratchlive has. This is clearly why I still use Scratchlive as I can get every track in my library just below clipping with the master gain option. But for controllers the master gain option should be available.
Otama 3:12 AM - 6 October, 2015
Thanks, Ill have to look into this master gain option. It also appears as thought any adjustments I make to the software gain are changed at some point and go back to clipping. I have noticed alot of odd behavior.

If I loop a portion of a track and begin playing it the audio gets squashed to a lower level after completing the loop once the audio begins to play at a louder level. After realizing the issue I changed the gain to match the second loop and all seemed to be working well however now it seems that alot of my tracks gain have been reset. I will try to turn off auto gain seems useless since I am constantly adjusting gain manually anyhow.

Thanks for the response