Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Serato Match Songs

HΛΙΑΖ 12:39 PM - 16 September, 2015
A feature in Serato that automatically finds songs in your library that go well with what is currently playing.
Davideon 7:25 AM - 17 September, 2015
How would it know?
Mitch Cuts 8:08 AM - 17 September, 2015
Quote:
A feature in Serato that automatically finds songs in your library that go well with what is currently playing.

Then you should also request an auto-mix-function. So you don't have to touch anything anymore. Your suggestion would end up in you playing songs a computer recommends you. So basically you give away your style and your signature for what you're asking
HΛΙΑΖ 11:36 AM - 17 September, 2015
There is an auto mix function, it's called sync. And there is a program that shows you what songs match together harmonically, it's called Mixed in Key. Basically the feature that i really want to see in Serato is Key Analysis. As about style and signature no DJ can give away that, no matter how many features a DJ software offers you. Everyone can mix a song, what makes it different between you and me and someone else is the way that you gonna mix it, that's something that you can't give away no matter what.
Davideon 11:57 AM - 17 September, 2015
Sync is not auto mix. The problem with mixing in key is that just because 2 tracks are the same bpm and key doesn't mean they go well together. There will be tracks in different keys that go better.

Mixing in key should be used to aid mixing not dictate it.
HΛΙΑΖ 12:14 PM - 17 September, 2015
Do you use any other DJ software ? Have you ever played with Rekordbox or Traktor ? DJ softwares is about giving you more and more features over time no matter you like it or not, and this is suggestions, the fact that they added the sync feature doesn't mean that everyone use it, it's available but some people don't want to use it, i don't like it so i don't use it. No one is forcing you to use any feature. Technology is running and i want my favorite DJ software to keep up. If someone want's to be some hardcore old school DJ, then DJ softwares are not for them. They can stick to Vinyls, no DJ softwares no PC. It's simple as that.
Davideon 1:57 PM - 17 September, 2015
Erm, ok.

But make to the question: how would it know what songs go with each other?
HΛΙΑΖ 3:23 PM - 17 September, 2015
When you play a song you could tag other songs that match with the current one, so next time you play a song, you will see a little box somewhere the tracks that you tagged that match with the current song that you play, it will not be only one track but several that you tag that match with the current one, something like that.
deejdave 1:24 AM - 18 September, 2015
To answer this question these are some ways this is already done by alternate software:

Flow8DJ - does this my using an "energy" algorithm. Intuitive yet ineffective.

Virtual DJ - does this by a feature called "Live Feedback" and straight from page 59 in the manual: "The recommendation is based on what other DJs have played most of the times, right after the playing track"

Djay Pro - Does this using "Match" which is powered by The Echo Nest which (again straight from the manual) - provides unprecedented track recommendations based on danceability, BPM, key, music style, and how well the song mixes with the currently playing track.

Rekordbox - does this by using "Match" (See it's NOT just Serato and Traktor they are stealing from LOL) which contrary to the above options is set by yourself earlier as more of a "note to self" for future mixes - Make a note of great mixes (Straight from the manual) "simply click Match when two tracks are playing in preview, and rekordbox will automatically suggest the match again when you play one of the tracks in the future."

NOW All that being said this is the How. These are examples of how the OP's ideas is already being used by other DJ apps but IMO this is one feature I'd rather remain in other DJ apps. There SHOULD be some differences from app to app and I personally feel Auto-Mix (not Autoplay) as well as this SHOULD not be added to the feature set.

Fun fact: This same technology is already being used by modern Jukeboxes as well as internet radio stations which attempt to create custom playlists. Anyone who has used these products know how well they work as well as how often they train wreck in their song selections. A simple tagging error could result in catastrophic dance floor failure LOL. IMO this is the very definition of a DJ's job and what separates from said jukeboxes.

Just my 2 cents though.
DJ Lil Vito 5:24 PM - 18 October, 2015
The last human element of djing is hand curating and selecting tracks. GTFO.
Kongadon 1:19 AM - 25 May, 2017
I would like this feature the OP requested. Traktor also has this feature on the iPhone and iPad versions. In the Traktor forums they are requesting it for the PC/Mac app. Just simple suggestions you can decide if you want to use based on key and tempo. I'll even pay seperately for this feature. The people that don't want to use it don't have too. They can GTFO. 😀
deejdave 2:47 AM - 25 May, 2017
Quote:
They can GTFO.

For the time being this would be the role of those who do want it as it has not yet been added :)
Djelad00 3:44 AM - 13 June, 2017
i've actually been working on an app that does exactly that. Basically, it runs in the background and feeds you recommendations of what song you could play next based on what's currently playing, on what's already been played.

My motivation for this was not so much to "auto-dj", but rather help me stay creative and spark a new mix ideas or break away from my usual go-to mixes.

For example, one of the features I was thinking about implementing (besides recommendations) would steer you away from overplayed mixes so you're not "DJ same set" and avoid pissing off staff/customers.

I guess I found it hard to always be creative on demand, especially at long running residencies. Not to start a holy war, but it's the same reason why I liked taking requests (well most times...). More often than not, it helped generate new ideas and flows I wouldn't have otherwise gone for.

just my 2 cents :)
DouglasB 1:04 PM - 13 June, 2017
Yes, I agree with OP and have also posted a similar request...
I think that independent of the method;

- energy
- key
- recommendation
- spectrum analysis (beatunes), etc...

it should give a few options in the settings department...
DJ STRETCH - NYC 2:22 PM - 2 July, 2017
Quote:

Auto & manual suggestions. Use it or not, it's up to you. What ever works for you to make your money...

+1
acemc 7:54 PM - 12 August, 2017
Quote:
not so much to "auto-dj", but rather help me stay creative and spark a new mix ideas or break away from my usual go-to mixes.

Quote:
would steer you away from overplayed mixes so you're not "DJ same set" and avoid pissing off staff/customers.

Quote:
I found it hard to always be creative on demand, especially at long running residencies.

My sentiments exactyl!!
+1
Crenger 3:40 AM - 20 August, 2017
Thank you deejdave for clearing the Rekordbox Match feature up. Like he said, it just a note to self and would love this feature in Serato. The software would just tell you what YOU'VE done in the past. Another thought is if you match it yourself and only the song you match show up in the suggestion feed.

To add this feature would be nothing. Routing links and creating text so Seroto, let's do this!!