DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How to Thoroughly Clean Timecode vinyls?

Katana 2:13 PM - 11 September, 2015
I have the very bad habit of leaving my timecode vinyls ontop of my decks (I dont have dust covers for my Turntables). I can even leave them there for a whole week and they end up piling a heap of dust ontop which fucks up the signal. Any ideas of a very good way to clean my TCVs?

Not just the basic methods they have on google, i'm looking for a really effective method that targets in-between the groves. I'm getting tired of buying new TCVs all the time.
DJ Matty Stiles 3:32 PM - 11 September, 2015
There are vinyl cleaning kits you can buy

I use my own solution of 2/3 purified water and 1/3 pure alcohol and spray it. I use a microfibre cloth and gently rub in circular motion.

I also have separate needles and CV that is just for gigs and always immaculately clean

My "dirty" records and needles just stay at home and never leave the house. Just for practice
DJ Matty Stiles 3:37 PM - 11 September, 2015
I also want to share with the forum that I've used a whole bunch of needle cleaners and finally tried the audio technica one and its BOSS. The brush is perfectly designed.

www.juno.co.uk
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:30 PM - 11 September, 2015
You could also force yourself to take the CV's off the tables....
Logisticalstyles 7:19 PM - 11 September, 2015
I leave mine on the decks all of the time and I rarely have dust issues. How often are you having to replace your CV? I've been using the same pair for almost a year.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:40 PM - 11 September, 2015
He might be a smoker....

Or just dirty....
Katana 4:07 PM - 13 September, 2015
damn a pair takes me like 3months at best! lol. They just accumulate so much dust!! I wonder how you leave yours on the decks and they take you almost a year.

Now I have almost a half-crate full of old TCVs that are filled with dust lol. If i can clean those, i can just re-use them instead of buying new ones over and over.
D Jay Cee 6:08 AM - 14 September, 2015
Watchwww.youtube.com

well known way to get that deep down clean.
DJ Irv 2:53 PM - 14 September, 2015
It's possibly for a record to be too clean. You can use white vinegar to clean the record. Vinegar cleans the record so good it might squeak. Still easier an cheaper than wood glue. Also lighter fluid cleans records well.
05spoof 3:01 PM - 14 September, 2015
Really, Vinegar?

Wouldn't that be more harmful then good for vinyl?
Detroitbootybass 3:25 PM - 14 September, 2015
If you're just dealing with dust from leaving them outside of their sleeves/jackets, then a carbon fiber brush should do the trick.
DJ Irv 3:26 PM - 14 September, 2015
It works. The drawback is the record gets too clean.
 6 4:07 PM - 14 September, 2015
It's a control vinyl. No real value. Just buy yourself a new one when it gets beyond dirty or scratched.

nm
Logisticalstyles 5:09 PM - 14 September, 2015
Quote:
damn a pair takes me like 3months at best! lol. They just accumulate so much dust!! I wonder how you leave yours on the decks and they take you almost a year.

Now I have almost a half-crate full of old TCVs that are filled with dust lol. If i can clean those, i can just re-use them instead of buying new ones over and over.

Only 3 months per pair seems like a very short time. I'm kinda attached to my blue CVs so as long as I can continue to get a good signal I still use them. I have other CV that are brand new and unused but I prefer my blues.

I don't gig every weekend but I do practice just about every day mostly doing a lot of heavy scratching and backspinning. In the past, the only reason I really ever had to upgrade CV was due to scratches on the surface. The scratches were mostly visible on black vinyl and not so much on the colored vinyl which is probably why I'm not switching vinyl quite as often.
DJ Matty Stiles 5:47 PM - 14 September, 2015
Man just my personal preference I would never touch vinegar
DJ Irv 6:12 PM - 14 September, 2015
Quote:
Man just my personal preference I would never touch vinegar

Surprised nobody made douche jokes yet.
D Jay Cee 10:16 PM - 14 September, 2015
Last #3 Power Cleaner for Records. Best record cleaner around.
Never use vinegar, alcohol or lighter fluid.
I used to collect records. Ages ago. I know.
D Jay Cee 10:17 PM - 14 September, 2015
The wood glue is the next best....but it doesn't get very deep. It is very safe though.
Detroitbootybass 11:50 PM - 14 September, 2015
Quote:
The wood glue is the next best....but it doesn't get very deep. It is very safe though.

Proof that it does clean all the way: www.jameshedberg.com

Titebond II, and all PVA-based wood glues, get all the way into the grooves. Its surface tension is much lower than water. It is H2O that cannot reach the bottom of the grooves, hence the need for a surfactant in record cleaning fluids.

Here is a good technical write-up about record cleaning fluids: forums.stevehoffman.tv
2Seven 5:20 PM - 16 September, 2015
Best protect yo deck www.storedj.com.au

[insert other wu-related puns here]
Dj Mike P. 6:47 PM - 16 September, 2015
You guys are going through a lot of work for just tc vinyl.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:13 PM - 16 September, 2015
Heres my method of cleaning timecode vinyl.

Take vinyl off record.
Place vinyl in a heavy duty garbage bag
Seal tightly and place into container with garbage
Leave in bag while i go to guitar center
Buy nee vinyl
Go home....forget about old cv
djnak 8:33 PM - 16 September, 2015
I'm just trying to understand how they are getting that dirty .... I can still use the same records that came with my 57 6 years ago.... Once in a while I use Stanton vinyl cleaner but that's it....
DJ Irv 8:52 PM - 16 September, 2015
Quote:
I'm just trying to understand how they are getting that dirty .... I can still use the same records that came with my 57 6 years ago.... Once in a while I use Stanton vinyl cleaner but that's it....

I'm surprised you are not having tracking problems after 6 years with the same CV.
djnak 9:02 PM - 16 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I'm surprised you are not having tracking problems after 6 years with the same CV.

I haven't used the same time ode for 6 years just saying the first pair I have still work just fine ... If u find a tracking problem I usually clean needles / contacts / vinyl (with the Stanton shit) and all is good in the hood , I have never had them so dirty they needed some extra deep cleaning ... But then again I have seen guys wreck a 57 in months while mine work perfect after years and hundreds of gigs ...
djnak 9:04 PM - 16 September, 2015
I guess it's just how u take care of gear... When equipment is off records are away in their dust covers not left sitting on the decks collecting dust
DJ Irv 9:20 PM - 16 September, 2015
Forget it if your talking about 57's in NY clubs they are all beat to hell. I guess I practice cutting a lot. I just think records real or CV that get played start sounding beat.
forty 8:46 AM - 17 September, 2015
Quote:
I'm just trying to understand how they are getting that dirty .... I can still use the same records that came with my 57 6 years ago....

Same.

OP must live in an underground WWII bunker and eat a lot of KFC.
DJ Matty Stiles 6:46 PM - 17 September, 2015
LOL^
CMOS 8:20 PM - 17 September, 2015
WTF are you guys doing in your houses?

I keep my home vinyl on the decks all the time, no cover, mad blunt smoke.

Maybe when I start spinning ill pick up a lil dust bunny, but nothing like what you guys are describing. Clean ya damn cribs.
Laz219 5:43 AM - 18 September, 2015
I have a little kit that reloop makes that I use on mine,
Records are on the turntables all the time, I just throw and old sheet over them when not in use.
With TCVs, half the time I just use my shirt to wipe it off- not with regular vinyl though.
D Jay Cee 2:40 PM - 18 September, 2015
Quote:

Maybe when I start spinning ill pick up a lil dust bunny, but nothing like what you guys are describing. Clean ya damn cribs.

precisely
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:42 PM - 18 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

precisely

Quote:
He might be a smoker....

Or just dirty....

:-)
DJ Matty Stiles 6:50 PM - 19 September, 2015
Yeah I can't even count the years I've had my CVs sitting there. It's just the occasional just bunny I gently brush off. Not much else