Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Automix

Zarpe 3:20 PM - 9 September, 2015
Why Serato Dj don't have a fade automix? The pause between two songs are horrible!
baje 11:39 PM - 9 September, 2015
I agree. SDJ dhould have an automix with fader and options for the mix. It sounds very unprofessional doing background music for weddings, banquets etc.
Iván 12:43 PM - 10 September, 2015
+1
serkan 2:15 PM - 11 September, 2015
A simple fade for wedding DJs? OK.
A full-fledged auto-mix? No. There are other applications for that.
05spoof 2:19 PM - 13 September, 2015
I think you got the wrong program. Try iTunes or Windows Media player if you want that. lol
deejdave 9:21 PM - 13 September, 2015
Quote:
I think you got the wrong program. Try iTunes or Windows Media player if you want that. lol

Agreed.
Quote:
A simple fade for wedding DJs? OK.
A full-fledged auto-mix? No. There are other applications for that.

Also agreed. I can see eliminating the silence between songs during autoplay. Even if we decide the stop/start times of songs. Not anything I would ever need but I can certainly see the need for it.
dj rab 11:42 AM - 14 September, 2015
Hi Guys,
Not all of us DJs are club djs. I am mainly a wedding dj and during a wedding i have like 4 hours of back to back easy listening music and just 1 hour of dance. just to be clear NO i don't need Serato DJ to automix my tunes, i just want it to have like a automix crate where i drag and drop tunes and serato will play these tunes back to back fading seamlessly from one to another and skipping silence on the beginning and end of a track. No fancy beat mixing, no let Serato DJ mix for me, just a simple back to back remove silence feature.
This will be a great feature for mobile and wedding DJs and i am sure a lot of them will agree with this.

Hope we see Serato DJ implementing this feature so we can jump on board.
I have a DDJ SX2 and using VDJ because i need this.

Regards,
DJ Cyrix 11:54 AM - 14 September, 2015
+1
deejdave 3:03 PM - 14 September, 2015
Quote:
Hi Guys,
Not all of us DJs are club djs. I am mainly a wedding dj and during a wedding i have like 4 hours of back to back easy listening music and just 1 hour of dance. just to be clear NO i don't need Serato DJ to automix my tunes, i just want it to have like a automix crate where i drag and drop tunes and serato will play these tunes back to back fading seamlessly from one to another and skipping silence on the beginning and end of a track. No fancy beat mixing, no let Serato DJ mix for me, just a simple back to back remove silence feature.
This will be a great feature for mobile and wedding DJs and i am sure a lot of them will agree with this.

Regards,

Already have the prepare panel so we are half way there. With the simple a/b (without silence) mixing you'd have all you need. Just a side note that is crazy that you have one hour of dance and 4 hrs of easy listening. At my weddings I mostly did 3+ hrs of dancing with the rest relaxed. My wedding I ensured 4+ hrs LOL. I love to party I must say.
dj rab 3:21 PM - 14 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Regards,

Already have the prepare panel so we are half way there. With the simple a/b (without silence) mixing you'd have all you need. Just a side note that is crazy that you have one hour of dance and 4 hrs of easy listening. At my weddings I mostly did 3+ hrs of dancing with the rest relaxed. My wedding I ensured 4+ hrs LOL. I love to party I must say.

Thx for your feedback but this is how wedding are done in my country, not me being lazy :)
Another situation where you might need this feature is maybe an exhibition or kids birthday or maybe playing a chill out playlist before starting. I shouldn't have to switch to another software to have that .
deejdave 3:34 PM - 14 September, 2015
Quote:
Thx for your feedback but this is how wedding are done in my country, not me being lazy :)

Nah I didn't mean it like that. Just an observation.
RNR 5:41 PM - 28 September, 2015
+1 for me, i also have gigs or events that require me to play background music and it would be great to have an auto fade feature instead of switching to iTunes or any other program that have this feature.

p.s - most of the dj programs have this feature
Cwite 7:25 PM - 30 September, 2015
+1 for me also
serkan 9:11 PM - 1 October, 2015
Knowing they have an iOS app in NZ now (Pyro) that does a basic automix they could release a Pyro expansion pack for SDJ that does the same?
Just an idea :)
Davideon 7:47 PM - 3 October, 2015
Quote:
Knowing they have an iOS app in NZ now (Pyro) that does a basic automix they could release a Pyro expansion pack for SDJ that does the same?
Just an idea :)

Different markets. Sdj is for professional DJs, pyro is for kids
serkan 10:37 AM - 7 October, 2015
I was talking the technology behind Pyro.

Some DJs are asking for basic automix capabilities. This is what Pyro offers. Think like a Pyro button next to autoplay that will play the currently selected crate with some basic fading between the tracks.

The Pyro product itself is aimed to the consumer market but it can be very helpful for wedding DJs as well.
DJ Johnny Bertone 4:20 AM - 14 October, 2015
+15. It shouldn't be an automix like vdj where anyone can "be a DJ" but like everyone else said, just a dead air elimination. I do everything. Parties and clubs and sometimes during dinner at a wedding is rather be able to just sit and scratch my balls than have to worry about the 15 seconds of silence between piano man and beyond the sea.
LucaPedonese 7:24 PM - 17 November, 2015
+1 for simple automix to remove silence and use in background before the show. Now I switch on Itunes but this doesn't read flac files instead of Sdj
DJ Johnny Bertone 6:28 PM - 9 December, 2015
I just re-read this. fuck auto mix BRING BACK TEMPO MATCH. then worry about other things
nicolascav 9:32 AM - 21 December, 2015
+1
Cwite 11:49 AM - 21 December, 2015
Hey guys,

I couldn't see that we were getting this in a hurry. So with the Christmas season and all the sit down meals on us, I tried to come up with something to help me step away from the decks in the more intimate set ups, and not be on top of the guests whilst they ate. It worked pretty well.

Thought I'd share it just in case anyone else can benefit from it until we get a proper option.

If you are like me, you cue point songs differently depending on what you generally use them for. My Solution was to use FLIP with these cue points. I did this live at my first gig, then fine tuned as required on the second evening, then never touched it again on any of the others.

Serato DJ remembers what Flip you have active when a song loads, so it seemed silly not to try this.

Turn on "Play from 1st Cue Point" in the options menu. Load your back ground song to deck then mark the first cue point, kind of an "instant start" point. I then go to the end of the track and mark where a song fades, if it does. (I have always done this, especially on long fades just as a reference). Now go to the very end of the track. All the way, right to the point where the black background turns grey on the wave form and set a cue point in the grey area. This grey area is what serato uses as a reference to load your next track (the end of the dead space).

Now go back to your fade out point and then prime Flip to record. Press the normal play and when you reach the perfect spot between fading and where you would like your next track to start press the blank/grey space cue point. The flip border should show red. Pause the track. Turn off the Flip-loop option, then end the flip. Save the flip. I always use the last space so I know which it is, and I re-name it to "d.space" (dead space) every time. Delete the dead space cue point. Eject the track to save the changes. Do this for 5 or 6 songs in a dedicated play list.

Go to the first song in your playlist and load to a deck. Press play and activate auto play. Sit back and watch the magic happen as it cuts from song to song, more or less like the fade over action we've been asking for. Yes it can be a little too strong a change at times, but generally it works really well. Enough so that I have used this approach on all my background lists. Some changes just need fine tuning.

Don't forget you can leave this list completely unattended too. It doesn't have to be on the main screen or in your file prepare box either. Auto play will continuously load tracks from any playlist you sent a track to deck from, and completely ignore anything else you do. When it gets to the end of your list it will just start over.

Now the only thing to make sure of, is that all the track gains are set pretty level relative to each other if you want to completely walk away. Also a word of warning. If you do try to do this live you will need to turn off auto play to be able to do the Flip recording (or it will keep jumping to the next song whilst you try to set your cue points), don't forget to turn it back on between recording Flips so the mix the audience is hearing is continuous.

Like I said, I know it's not what we want. But for those of us with Flip it is a very good work around for now.
scornille 11:01 AM - 23 December, 2015
+1
Mike Sinclair 8:50 PM - 14 March, 2016
I understand both sides of the coin. A lot of club guys don't want "auto mix" type features in Serato. But, from the Wedding DJ side, which I'm on, I can see how this would be awesome for dinner music, bridal expos, etc... I realize other software does this, but I don't care for other software. I like Serato DJ. It would be great if this could be done somehow. Just my 2 cents. :)
Mike Sinclair 8:56 PM - 14 March, 2016
What I do now for dinner music, is put a list together, then use a DAW, like Adobe Audition and create a long mix, putting the songs where I want them on the multi-track view, then save as one long MP3. It works for those looking to stick with Serato, but have nice long dinner music sets.
DJ Johnny Bertone 11:36 PM - 15 March, 2016
I just play them back to back I've never had a complaint about the 4 seconds of silence between songs. I've also never had compliments about the seamless mixing between dinner songs lol. Everyone's hanging out relaxing stuffing their face I don't think anyone cares about a few seconds of quiet. It would be a cool feature but I think other things like day and night mode are more important
deejdave 12:28 AM - 16 March, 2016
People gonna hate hearing this but the events where this would be useful the audience probably wouldn't even notice if the DJ left the gig for two hrs and left the same song playing on repeat. By all means I think this can/should be included in SDJ but for reasons of hushing the masses over any actual DJ related uses.

"gives me chance to mingle"
"So I can tear down lights"
"So I can go to the bathroom"
"So I can eat"

All very real reasons but none actually have to do with DJing.
Dj Alon 6:25 AM - 16 March, 2016
we already have the Autoplay, so what we need now is like a last cue so we can mark the "end" of a song and not just the beginning, during the Autoplay the software will recognize this "end" cue and fade and move or jump to the next song, should be just easy.
DJ.Tyme 6:21 AM - 18 March, 2016
funny coming back to the user forum and reading this (after i did a google search) for does serato dj have automix. i started this very same topic like over 4-5 years ago or so. Serato dont care & dont listen to us users. like one of the DJ's said above "he has to switch back & 4th between software" same crap i was doing years ago. i got tired of it and just didnt use SSL, itch, Serato DJ anymore.....now 100% VDJ im a 100% mobile DJ being weddings are 98% of my gigs . just like what Deejdave listed & more. VDJ has had this for years and many many other things that serato still does not have. just my 3 cents ;-)
dj rab 6:54 AM - 18 March, 2016
Quote:
funny coming back to the user forum and reading this (after i did a google search) for does serato dj have automix. i started this very same topic like over 4-5 years ago or so. Serato dont care & dont listen to us users. like one of the DJ's said above "he has to switch back & 4th between software" same crap i was doing years ago. i got tired of it and just didnt use SSL, itch, Serato DJ anymore.....now 100% VDJ im a 100% mobile DJ being weddings are 98% of my gigs . just like what Deejdave listed & more. VDJ has had this for years and many many other things that serato still does not have. just my 3 cents ;-)

Well said... i have a ddj sx2 and use VDJ because of this. Too bad for serato.
Also rekordbox dj now has automix feature but serato still refuse to implement this feature.
Mike Sinclair 1:50 PM - 18 March, 2016
Quote:

Also rekordbox dj now has automix feature but serato still refuse to implement this feature.

Did Rekordbox DJ just add automix? It had an auto play feature similar to Serato, but if it has auto "mix", then that's very new.
dj rab 2:35 PM - 18 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Did Rekordbox DJ just add automix? It had an auto play feature similar to Serato, but if it has auto "mix", then that's very new.

I think starting 4.0.5 Autoplay is implemented on all Decks
Mike Sinclair 2:36 PM - 18 March, 2016
Yes, Autoplay, not automix.
dj rab 2:46 PM - 18 March, 2016
Quote:
Yes, Autoplay, not automix.

Yeah you're right...my mistake
Dario Freije 8:25 AM - 23 April, 2016
+1
A simple fade for wedding DJs. I currently use VDJ for the Dinner and Serato for the Party :S
LucaPedonese 9:32 AM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:
+1
A simple fade for wedding DJs. I currently use VDJ for the Dinner and Serato for the Party :S
Hanginon 1:19 PM - 3 June, 2016
For those who are tired of waiting for Serato to implement this, may I suggest DigiJay -

www.digijay.at

Totally free, with the absolute best, customizable autoplay implementation I've seen. There's a bit of German you need to struggle with, but the GUI is straight forward.
AKIEM 9:17 PM - 8 June, 2016
LOL @ Auto Mix
LucaPedonese 7:50 AM - 21 June, 2016
You are unhistorical
AKIEM 2:46 PM - 22 June, 2016
I dont know what that even means. I dont know history, or I'm not mentioned in history.

lol
Mike Sinclair 1:43 AM - 23 January, 2018
Rekordbox just added automix and it's HORRIBLE the way they did it.
DJ LoHi 9:26 AM - 1 February, 2018
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1
It boggles my mind how many people I see turning their nose up at this simple feature. Like it's going to affect the way they DJ at all. "NO, don't add it because I think it'll take away from my skills as a pro!" Pfft, are you serious? I paid well over $2k for my DDJ-SZ2 and would really like this feature for the exact reasons stated above. I'm not doing a 1 hr club set, I'm on my feet and mixing for 4-5 hrs straight in bars or at receptions and for you folks to say that I have to open another software to go get a drink or use the restroom just so that you can FEEL better about your software is lunacy. There is absolutely NO reason why this feature cannot be implemented that cannot ultimately be attributed to narcissism or snobbery. Get over yourselves. It's the same thing year after year and technology after technology. Every new thing that comes out will ruin the DJ biz, but guess what? It's still here and more popular than ever. Nothing is going to ruin it or kill it, you will still be respected by the noobs for your skills. But to vote it down? why? Clearly everyone sees that there is a need for it and there is a market that wants it, so why not?

How's the fight against the sync button working out for everyone so far? You cannot fight the future. All of the other companies realized this a long time ago, when will Serato?
AKIEM 2:10 AM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:
"NO, don't add it because I think it'll take away from my skills as a pro!"

Funny, I've never heard anyone say that.
DJ LoHi 3:28 AM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Then you haven’t been paying attention. You may have read this thread, you may have even read the thread from 2014. But if you didn’t hear this in their dissents, then you weren’t listening. I find it funny, though, that out of everything I said, that’s what you find curious.
AKIEM 5:18 AM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Then you haven’t been paying attention. You may have read this thread, you may have even read the thread from 2014. But if you didn’t hear this in their dissents, then you weren’t listening. I find it funny, though, that out of everything I said, that’s what you find curious.

I guess - you can bet I dont have this thread from 2014 committed to memory - I suppose anyone could have said anything in it (yet I doubt said anything like what you say)

You could just actually quote, otherwise Im going with -no one said it-

Everything else you said was mostly weak insults I dont feel need a response. But heres a response to something else - No, everyone does not see the need for it as you claim.

And as far as the sync button - Im still waiting to see the amaizingness that was supposed to come of it. Instead, as predicted I see low skilled people using it as a crutch and it causing more problems than it solving.

And worse the way Serato deals with Sync fucks up Link for me making it completely unusable. So its shit. They should have left it off, the software would be better for it, Link would have maybe been implemented proper. People like myself would not continually be looking at other software.
DJ LoHi 6:29 AM - 2 February, 2018
Well keep looking, but you won’t find it. The purists are growing old and falling off. Everyone sees it but the purists. Serato is trying their best to cater to them but the reality is that all the purists are going to do is force a company to keep making “8 track” players while the rest of the software companies see that we’ve gone digital. You will take this company rt into the same obscurity and obsoletion that you are destined for. They have to be able to compete globally and the snobbery and refusal to recognize the future of art will be the down fall. As for link, that was implemented waaaaay after the sync. If you think they are interfering with each other then it’s on the link side of the implementation. Not the sync.
AKIEM 6:38 AM - 2 February, 2018
I'm not a purist. And Serato quit 'catering' purists long ago (as if digital can be purist)

Yeah, sync was added, then Link was developed.

If sync was never addad, then Link could not have been tied to it which is the problem.

(nothing else you said deserves a respnse)