DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Beat matching Strategy?

TerryTran 1:13 AM - 6 September, 2015
So the other day I was practicing some DJing and I wondered, is it a good strategy to purposely miss the first beat of the drop so that you always know to turn the jogwheel to the right? I've tried it a few times and it seemed to work. I was just wondering what other people think. I mainly DJ edm music btw for reference.
Thundercat 10:47 AM - 6 September, 2015
Brand Nubian says To The Right too:
Watchwww.youtube.com
Davideon 1:02 PM - 6 September, 2015
Interesting. Beyoncé thinks it's to the left

youtu.be
Davideon 1:03 PM - 6 September, 2015
Quote:
So the other day I was practicing some DJing and I wondered, is it a good strategy to purposely miss the first beat of the drop so that you always know to turn the jogwheel to the right? I've tried it a few times and it seemed to work. I was just wondering what other people think. I mainly DJ edm music btw for reference.

I genuinely don't know what you mean
dj_foo 2:44 PM - 6 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I hoped I wasn't the only one... I read and re-read and can't figure out what he means. I can only think he means to start it slightly late and then nudge the track back into line but hwy on earth would you deliberately try and drop a track late just to nudge it back???
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:57 PM - 6 September, 2015
drop it 8 bars in do a spin back and it will be on point
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:41 PM - 6 September, 2015
Quote:
Brand Nubian says To The Right too:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Quote:
Interesting. Beyoncé thinks it's to the left

youtu.be

I think a mix of the 2 is called for?

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Matty Stiles 7:46 PM - 6 September, 2015
No.
Laz219 9:09 AM - 7 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I hoped I wasn't the only one... I read and re-read and can't figure out what he means. I can only think he means to start it slightly late and then nudge the track back into line but hwy on earth would you deliberately try and drop a track late just to nudge it back???

That's what I thought....
You should be able to just hear whether you need to nudge forward or backward anyway.
If the pitch isn't set correctly, it can slip In any direction any way...although to be asking this is assume your using sync?
Katana 11:16 AM - 7 September, 2015
ideally you should be able to HEAR the song you are about to bring in the mix and decide if it is too slow or too fast and adjust it accordingly in your headphones (and preferably not looking at the waveforms) . Once you have adjusted the tempos of the two songs to around the same speed (hopefully without ever having to use sync), then i can see how you can intentionally start the track a little behind so that you can just know that you need to nudge it forward until it lands in place.

However this is not a good strategy especially when you are learning, because as Laz219 said, If the pitch isn't set correctly, it can slip In any direction anyway. And most times especially with dance music, you are probably gonna be blending songs for multiple bars so you can't just always assume that the two tracks will always lock together perfectly throughout the whole mix. You always have to be ready to keep adjusting the tracks to make sure they are always as on beat as possible.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:48 PM - 7 September, 2015
Quote:
is it a good strategy to purposely miss the first beat of the drop so that you always know to turn the jogwheel

I stopped reading after jogwheel
 6 4:19 PM - 7 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
is it a good strategy to purposely miss the first beat of the drop so that you always know to turn the jogwheel

I stopped reading after jogwheel

+6
sumoJr 5:52 PM - 7 September, 2015
jogwheels are for gerbils
Ollie 8:16 PM - 7 September, 2015
if you're able to tell when the first beat comes in then there should be no need to drop in on the second beat just so you can play catch up. If you going to practice how to mix, then it's best to practice knowing how to beat count and being able to differentiate the songs from each other. Listen to the music as your mixing is your best bet. It's ok to glance at the display for help.
deezlee 11:05 PM - 7 September, 2015
when you practice, eq the incoming track so that the eq in the headphones is noticably different then the other track so that you can tell which is which.
i used to make the snare really bright on the incoming track.
Davideon 7:07 AM - 8 September, 2015
Quote:
when you practice, eq the incoming track so that the eq in the headphones is noticably different then the other track so that you can tell which is which..

Really?
deezlee 2:53 PM - 8 September, 2015
Yup.
AKIEM 5:54 PM - 8 September, 2015
left side, that's the crip side.
djnak 6:32 PM - 8 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
when you practice, eq the incoming track so that the eq in the headphones is noticably different then the other track so that you can tell which is which..

Really?

Quote:
Yup.

umm no....if you crank the eq's or turn them down (not sure what you are really doing) you are changing the sound of the incoming track... making it harder to tell if the 2 tracks sound good together....(just because 2 songs may be the same key/bpm doesn't mean they will sound good together....and just a fyi for all those that love M.I.K. , it is only probably about 60 - 80% acurate)
So...leave the Eq's ALONE and train your ears to hear both songs then you should be-able to hear which one is slower/faster
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:35 PM - 8 September, 2015
SYNC BUTTON?
If you have a Cuntroller - it's built in.
05spoof 6:59 PM - 8 September, 2015
WHAT!

Just put on a mix CD, wave your arms in the air, stand over your setup, and make heart signs. You'll have 100% beat matches all the time doing that. :)
deezlee 12:28 AM - 9 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really?

Quote:
Yup.

umm no....if you crank the eq's or turn them down (not sure what you are really doing) you are changing the sound of the incoming track... making it harder to tell if the 2 tracks sound good together....(just because 2 songs may be the same key/bpm doesn't mean they will sound good together....and just a fyi for all those that love M.I.K. , it is only probably about 60 - 80% acurate)
So...leave the Eq's ALONE and train your ears to hear both songs then you should be-able to hear which one is slower/faster

he's just learning how to beat match.
if the two snares sound different it will be easier to differentiate which is which.

"train your ears to hear both songs then you should be-able to hear which one is slower/faster"

yup, and trying what i suggested will help with that