Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Stems question for Serato...

Ragman 11:24 PM - 24 August, 2015
Serato I know that the new Stems format is a Native Instrument project, but seeing as how it's open source and gaining momentum in the music industry, are you considering future support in SDJ and partnered devices?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:23 AM - 25 August, 2015
Hey Ragman,

We have been watching the roll out of the Stems format with great interest but I'm afraid we have nothing to announce at the moment.

What do you think of the Stems format? Is it something that appeals to you?

Cheers,
Michael.
Ragman 1:42 AM - 25 August, 2015
Yes. The possibilities for that type of format is unreal. I really do hope you guys embrace this new format as it's really a win-win for all.
Joe Fresh 2:05 AM - 25 August, 2015
Stems support in Serato DJ would be a great new feature.
Davideon 5:19 AM - 25 August, 2015
Quote:
Hey Ragman,

We have been watching the roll out of the Stems format with great interest but I'm afraid we have nothing to announce at the moment.

Cheers,
Michael.

Please wait a lot longer before considering implementing stems
Ragman 11:11 PM - 25 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Ragman,

Cheers,
Michael.

Why do you say that BBD?
clemens 9:16 PM - 26 August, 2015
Stems for Serato DJ would open a whole new universe of options for live performances.
Since there's no the bridge for x64 devices anymore, Stems would be a at least a start to compensate for that.
Ragman 9:29 PM - 26 August, 2015
Quote:
Stems for Serato DJ would open a whole new universe of options for live performances.
Since there's no the bridge for x64 devices anymore, Stems would be a at least a start to compensate for that.

This is how I feel as well. The Bridge had some complexity to it which is probably why Serato gave up on it for SDJ. But Stem files alleviate that complexity somewhat by offering a layering format embedded in the track.
saNppa 2:07 AM - 27 August, 2015
Stems is THE future for dj'ing, filled with huge possibilities to do stuff. But then again, I've wrong before, like with Novation Twitch, which was way too advanced piece of gear. It still is. I'm afraid that NI S8 will suffer the same destiny.

Stems for Serato would be huge, but there's few obsicles on the way:
1) There's no hardware (yet).
2) Do I wanna buy all my songs again?
3) I love to use 3 or 4 tracks at the same time. FX's spicing at the same time isn't impossiblility. For processor this means 12 to 16 running at the same time. How well can current computers handle that? Maybe S8 users know better. Mean while Serato have disabled analyzing multiple track while hardware is connected.

Still I wanna see the stems to take over.
Davideon 6:21 AM - 27 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Ragman,

Cheers,
Michael.

Why do you say that BBD?

It's too early. In theory it could and should be good but it might still die.

Labels might decide to not take it up or stop releasing stems. It might very well transpire that punters don't want to hear djs mucking about to that degree with tracks they like.

It'll be a hell of an undertaking for serato to implement and might be for nothing. Let NI take the risk of finding out
Davideon 6:22 AM - 27 August, 2015
Quote:
Stems is THE future for dj'ing, filled with huge possibilities to do stuff. But then again, I've wrong before, like with Novation Twitch, which was way too advanced piece of gear. It still is. I'm afraid that NI S8 will suffer the same destiny.

Exactly. Let's wait and see
Ragman 2:27 PM - 27 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Ragman,

Cheers,
Michael.

Why do you say that BBD?

It's too early. In theory it could and should be good but it might still die.

Labels might decide to not take it up or stop releasing stems. It might very well transpire that punters don't want to hear djs mucking about to that degree with tracks they like.

It'll be a hell of an undertaking for serato to implement and might be for nothing. Let NI take the risk of finding out

Ok, that makes sense. However I feel if it did die off it would be more from lack of support from the majors like Serato, Numark, Pioneer etc. If they all came aboard and embraced the new format, it would greatly increase the chance for it to be successful. The second thing that could lead to its demise would be the markup/cost for a stem produced track(s). If it's to expensive, the average joe dj won't bother with it.
jprime 9:44 PM - 27 August, 2015
Quote:
Novation Twitch, which was way too advanced piece of gear. It still is. I'm afraid that NI S8 will suffer the same destiny.

Disagree, Am hoping SDJ gets it's version of the S8 some day.