DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technics SL1210M5G's.................. USELESS PITCH CONTROL!!!

DJNitroUK 10:01 PM - 17 August, 2015
Hi Guys,

Sooooooooooo.............. I sell my beloved 1210mk2's and upgraded to the rather sexy 1210m5g's for a superb price that I simply couldn't say no to!!

Only one problem.............. THE PITCH CONTROLS!!!!

I know that the m5g's feature digital pitch control but they are practically useless for any form of beatmixing, especially if you are a house or techno DJ!!

For scratching they are awesome, especially with the dr suzuki matts but I mainly mix long transitions, when using the decks with timecodes they are not toooo bad but when using vinyl they are extremely hard to tightly mix together.

Has anybody else on here also experienced the same issues as myself? if so how did you solve this problem?? hopefully without selling them!!! lol

maybe slap a couple of mk2 pitch control inside them? ;-)

Thanks guys!

Jason
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:11 PM - 17 August, 2015
I'll trade you my 1200mk2? :)
DJ Dynamight 10:14 PM - 17 August, 2015
In my experience, the M5G pitch is more precise & I actually prefer it vs a mk2. If you're selling, I'll buy them :-)
DJ Dynamight 10:14 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
I'll trade you my 1200mk2? :)

you have enough gear lol
DJ Irv 10:15 PM - 17 August, 2015
I can use GLD's for mixing (Same as M5G) with no problems. I will trade you for a MK3 in black.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:17 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
In my experience, the M5G pitch is more precise & I actually prefer it vs a mk2. If you're selling, I'll buy them :-)

I got dibs first! :P
DJNitroUK 10:23 PM - 17 August, 2015
hahahahaha I wont be selling the pair in a hurry as they really do look the business (plus have cdj's if needs must!)

so why exactly am I having issues with beat mixing on the m5g's then? this is really driving me nuts
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:06 AM - 18 August, 2015
What type of music do you play again?
eugguy 10:26 AM - 18 August, 2015
It's all in your head. The M5G's are king of the Technics line.
DJNitroUK 11:56 AM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:

House and techno mate

Quote:

No its really not in my head mate,.... there is a very noticeable difference during long mix transitions due to the digital pitch control.

I have used every version of the SL1210 range and never had an issue with regards to mixing,... up until now with the m5g's
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:31 PM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:
House and techno mate

So......4/4, and you're having issues?

Hmmmm.......
DJNitroUK 12:36 PM - 18 August, 2015
yes its purely 4/4 beats that I am having an issue mixing on these turntables, I've never had a problem on my previous technics decks over the last 15 years and its just strange that I'm having this problem on the m5g's.

Also they pitch tends to go out of time quite quickly when using timecoded vinyl too
eugguy 12:38 PM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

House and techno mate

Quote:

No its really not in my head mate,.... there is a very noticeable difference during long mix transitions due to the digital pitch control.

I have used every version of the SL1210 range and never had an issue with regards to mixing,... up until now with the m5g's

I actually made the switch from 27 yr old techs to the m5g's a few years ago. I thought I was going crazy too. I decided to see a psychiatrist. After long grueling psychotherapy sessions and after ingesting massive amounts of harmful medications did I only realize that it all stemmed from my childhood fears of not being able to ride a bike.
DJNitroUK 12:39 PM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

House and techno mate

Quote:

I actually made the switch from 27 yr old techs to the m5g's a few years ago. I thought I was going crazy too. I decided to see a psychiatrist. After long grueling psychotherapy sessions and after ingesting massive amounts of harmful medications did I only realize that it all stemmed from my childhood fears of not being able to ride a bike.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAA!!!!! ahhhhhh thats where I have been going wrong!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:55 PM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:
yes its purely 4/4 beats that I am having an issue mixing on these turntables, I've never had a problem on my previous technics decks over the last 15 years and its just strange that I'm having this problem on the m5g's.

Also they pitch tends to go out of time quite quickly when using timecoded vinyl too

They have this thing called "Sync"...that should solve your problem, while freeing you up to do other creative things while DJ'ing..
DJNitroUK 1:02 PM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

They have this thing called "Sync"...that should solve your problem, while freeing you up to do other creative things while DJ'ing..

With the greatest of respect I am not a beginner DJ and have been mixing for many years, I only started this post to ask if anyone else has experienced any issues while mixing long transitions using the m5g's.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:22 PM - 18 August, 2015
Ok, lots of people use it....so...just offering a suggestion...
Taipanic 1:53 PM - 18 August, 2015
What are you seeing with the strobe dots? Are you seeing a fluctuation at certain speeds? It is possible one could be off, things do break. Probably not both though, these are usually very reliable. Try mixing with each turntable separately and one track on internal and see if you have the same issue. And to join the others, I have 1210s I'll trade ya ;-)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:00 PM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:

Even using Sync, beat matching is not perfect. you still have to work it.

Nothing wrong using sync. It's a preference or another FX to help with your set.
Sincerely from an old school DJ :P

and I still have first dibs (first reply) on the M5Gs! LOL
deezlee 3:55 PM - 18 August, 2015
The m5gs have a different pitch lock torque thing going on. They're extra smooth to mix on if you are a DJ that beat matches using the slider only. If you pinch the spindle, drag the side etc, it fights against you a bit. I do and it does.
DJ Irv 3:55 PM - 18 August, 2015
He lost me when he mentions CDJ in the same paragraph with Technics M5G's.
 6 4:30 PM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

House and techno mate

Quote:

lol
 6 4:31 PM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I see what you did there lol
phatbob 5:12 PM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:
The m5gs have a different pitch lock torque thing going on. They're extra smooth to mix on if you are a DJ that beat matches using the slider only. If you pinch the spindle, drag the side etc, it fights against you a bit. I do and it does.

+1

It IS a different feel from a mk2. Not better or worse, just different. For anyone coming from years on mk2s, who does long blends a lot, it might take a bit of time to get used to.
DJNitroUK 6:10 PM - 18 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

+1

It IS a different feel from a mk2. Not better or worse, just different. For anyone coming from years on mk2s, who does long blends a lot, it might take a bit of time to get used to.

I've just had a good couple of hours of mixing on them and they are hard work but lovely decks.

Quote:

totally agree with you! you have to keep your hand on the pitch fader if you want a long transition.
blackavenger 4:41 AM - 20 August, 2015
Quote:
Try mixing with each turntable separately and one track on internal and see if you have the same issue

Good advice.
Niro 7:41 AM - 20 August, 2015
I have and still own a few m5gs, I remember one of them being wanky. I bought it from the Panasonic warehouse as a refurb. It might have been dropped or something, sold it. My current ones are good to go.