Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Win Trackstar the DJs vinyl from the RTJ Tour

12:10 AM, 28 Aug 2015
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
RichieBlood 12:36 AM - 28 August, 2015
Seeing the film Juice and buying decks a week later knowing this was going to by life from now on. 20 years later... when ever I here that Rakim track it all makes sense!
yoavarden 12:40 AM - 28 August, 2015
Thatโ€™s a tough one simply because I haven't met or seen ANY of my rap/hip hop artists. Having said that, I wouldn't even have them if it weren't for RTJ 1 (the album) which served as a gateway to the extraordinary world of hip-hop. After that it was R.A.P. Music, C4C, RTJ 2, Company Flow, Cage and so many others. With each one of them I always go back to the lyrics, which for me is the most important part of RAP music. The hard hitting-no excuses-truth in your face-take no prisoners attitude that leaves nothing to chance and everything to be questioned.
Justo82 12:48 AM - 28 August, 2015
I'd have to say my favorite hip hop concert was seeing Atmosphere at the Milkweg in Amsterdam in 2004. It was my first time traveling outside the United States and was utterly amazing to see one of my favorite groups out there. That show also introduced me to the music of Promoe / Looptroop (from Sweden) which has since became one of my all time favorites. I will remember that show for the rest of my life.
Mike the Avenger 12:59 AM - 28 August, 2015
My hands down greatest memory is meeting Trackstar at a Run The Jewels show and he bringing me backstage to meet El-P. He let me geek out for a while and Track borrowed my phone and took a picture of us.

It was fantastic.

Some day I'd like to match that moment and meet Killer Mike too.
Ryan Beezee 1:47 AM - 28 August, 2015
Madlib and Peanutbutter Wolf chillin at my crib. Hanging out in STL and taking them to all the record stores.
Wit-E 1:48 AM - 28 August, 2015
Seeing Rae and Ghost on the Purple Tape
20th anniversary tour this year. It was incredible to see them perform all the classics off Cuban Linx, some joints off 36 Chambers, Ironman, & a few off F.I.L.A. Then after the show getting to chill with them in the green room. Nothing like a typical meet & greet. They welcomed us as family, took tons of photos, signed everything. And to top it off we got blunted. Some of the most down to earth celebrities I have met.

That just beat out being backstage and on stage for Killer Mike and Trackstar to perform in Ybor City for the SPoT Tamap AM a few years ago. Track and Mike are both humble and genuinely good dudes.
DJchoe 4:59 AM - 28 August, 2015
The time I saw Nas backstage at Rock The Bells at NOC. Best hip hop rap life of my life!
AIRX ONE 7:01 AM - 28 August, 2015
Nice prizes :)
MilesTBB/BreakFreshNYC 7:21 AM - 28 August, 2015
My greatest memory would have to be going to a B-boy jam and watching Dj Charlie Hustle scratching on the turntables. Seeing that made me want to become a DJ and I am thankful for that experience.
DJ PRO 2K 7:22 AM - 28 August, 2015
best hip -hop moment hard to pick one first time hearing flash breaking at the skating rink busy bee vs kool moe dee first time scratching using the balance on a stereo system with only one speaker first set of 12's spending hours upon hours hitting every record store in the D digging 1.00$ white label promos saint Andrews Friday nights smoking blunts with shoes making beats with dj rec theres never ONE MOMENT ONE LOVE HIP-HOP 4 LIFE
EWS_Music 7:23 AM - 28 August, 2015
My greatest memory as a RAP FAN, was when I got to meet Run The Jewels and Trackstar The DJ and Despot all in 1 night. My buddy Ben had my back cuz I was strapped for cash and we drove from Boise, ID to SLC, UT. That night I got my RTJ Zippo and goldchain laceses, then got my hat signed by El-P and Killer Mike. I had introduced my self to Despot who liked my name (Evan Williams), passed my USB drive with my beats on it off to El-P and got to interview Trackstar The DJ (sadly the GoPro had died, and the audio on the camera sucked). Needless to say he was such a chill humble dude and deserves all good that comes his way, true talk. Solute to RAP FAN and what he does along with what RTJ represents, if I win this prize I will further strengthen the success of the RAP FAN brand with honor and soul. ๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘Š
dopeNL 7:40 AM - 28 August, 2015
My greatest & fun memory, Is when I had the chance to meet both "Run DMC" & Public enemy's "Flaver Flav" Back in the day when I was working in "Just Records" - Shepherds Bush London.
RUN DMC, where great & very down to earth, As Flaver Flav" Was much smaller then I imagined, however still massive in Carictor.
Was a lot of fun.
Dj L-Biz 8:11 AM - 28 August, 2015
Best Rap memory was seeing EPMD in London in the Jazz Cafe which is amazing for live hip hop!
The absolute highlight came for me as they started to play Da Joint and i must have caught the Green Eyed Bandits attention. It was my good fortune to be right at the front and obviously I was going buck wild when Da Joint came on. At the part of 'my styles diggable...' He singled me out to finish each line with him (i think in truth he thought i'd mess up) anyway i got to finish each line and go back and forth with him.... with Dj Scratch dropping out the beat for emphasis. There was a awkward moment when it came to 'cos I'm black like that' (being a little white boy) so I put so I sought of did it as a question 'cos I'm black like that???' He seemed to appreciate that & people that could see me in the crowd laughed a bit and he gave me a nod! I was just pleased I didn't get the words wrong getting the mic thrust in my face on the spot. Afterwards managed to get him to sign my kicks. Was a night I won't ever forget!

I must add they had the greatest stage energy I have seen from any hip hop group probably on a par with the Beastie Boys at Reading Festival '98. Salute EPMD and Dj Scratch for classic warm up material!!!
DVSDee 8:24 AM - 28 August, 2015
Having the honour of DJ Jazzy Jeff borrowing my 1200's when he was doing a gig in London!
FIELDD 8:33 AM - 28 August, 2015
Got to say that my best DJ experience to-date (being 18), is at Cream Amnesia in Ibiza! Firstly had to take the frightening taxi down the mountains at law-breaking speeds, and steep to the price of โ‚ฌ18 euros for a drink (bit of advice, but minimise drinking in the club) but it was worth it! Paul Van Dyk was holding his Politics of Dancing in the main room, with Will Atkinson's opening set the beginning of the night. I remember being one of the first people in the club, with his set starting with just a few people in the building, to a near-on full dance floor an hour later. He opened up perfectly for Aly & Fila!
nlited 9:31 AM - 28 August, 2015
Playing a warm-up set & djing for Onyx during their big show in Moscow!
Unruly Youth Sound 10:45 AM - 28 August, 2015
the first time when i watch Qbert in Spain. He broke the Crossfader and want to launch like a present the mixer and the turntables, was a crazy moment and session.
caliceauxjack 11:22 AM - 28 August, 2015
During the X-Games Kid Ink jumped down into the crowd and started giving people high fives. As he was making his way back to the stage he got a running start and we connected with a low five like we had been boys for years.
SYNTRIX 1:44 PM - 28 August, 2015
Opening for Juicy J last year hands down, lot of love for hiphop & rap in the building that night.
Reinier 9:03 PM - 28 August, 2015
The first hearing Dr. D.R.E.'s music.
Mad One 9:10 PM - 28 August, 2015
First and foremost meeting Sean Price. Also drinking ciroq with Mr. Cheeks in my booth was pretty dope!
Sammiches 10:10 PM - 28 August, 2015
Believe it or not, my favorite moment would have to be after the first time I saw Run the Jewels. After the show, my friend and I stuck around to say hello and talk to Killer Mike and El-P and they were two of the nicest guys you could have imagined. It was especially crazy cause there couldn't have been more than 250 people at that first show, but my friend and I got to see them again at Buku with a packed house. So great to see the two of them getting the recognition they deserve.
tAbLiSt33 11:02 PM - 28 August, 2015
Man! The summer of 87' as a 12yo ragamuffin riding on our bikes with a huge boom box tied to the handle bars as we blasted Beastie Boys - License To I'll Album until our 12-DD batteries died! Lol...the neighborhood hated us...Lol
Its Just Jordan 12:17 AM - 29 August, 2015
There was one time I went to a Big Sean concert with a camera, and staff mistook me for one of the promoter's photographers, so they stuck me in his dressing room with him and The Pack, and I got to chop it up with them.

...There were also times Common and Kendrick came to my university for a school event and it was wild!
Bumbumbum 12:19 AM - 29 August, 2015
That time I got little girl excited to meet Q-Tip at a WaWa in Philly.
gundo 1:12 AM - 29 August, 2015
got to meet jamie xx after his pitchfork set this year. crazy chill dude who knows how to create some awesome worlds out of his and others music.
Earth Departure 1:22 AM - 29 August, 2015
By far getting to see Aesop Rock and Busdriver in a tiny venue in Seattle, first rap show after hundreds of metal shows, made me appreciate hip hop/rap even more. Aesop's word skills are unmatched. Plus Busdriver is a mad man and seeing him do his work is mind bending
komsik 1:56 AM - 29 August, 2015
My best moment was meeting EL-P and Killer Mike for the first time. I had been a fan of EL-P for a long time and getting the chance to meet both of them on tour was such an awesome experience!
@ouches 2:24 AM - 29 August, 2015
Dear Dj TrackStar your dope as fuck! I'm a huge RapFan I go to shows from time to time and like to focus on the dj because they get the party jumping I've always admired the Dj and I admire you. Your great saw you in Denver in January for the House of Vans show and you did not disappoint it was an intense show. I'm excited to see you in October. My question is do you ever give out or sell your retired used banged up tour vinyls that you use during your sets? I know this is a strange request but I'm interested and would like to hear back from you thanks I know you very busy with the tour and hope this dont bug you thanks @ouches (This is an Email I sent to Dj Trackstar he responded telling me about this contest and I've been waiting for it to begin)
Prismasaurus 3:44 AM - 29 August, 2015
When your favorite rappers (Killer Mike and El-P) meet you, and the first thing they have to say is that you knew all the goddamned words: priceless. I got to see Run the Jewels for the second time in DC, and I was honored to be there and to deliver copies of a beautiful illustration by Leif Olson of Mike and El-P running a dragon's jewels. Killer Mike, El-P, and the whole crew loved the gifts. The sound guy rewarded me with a set list out of nowhere and thanked me for bringing the illustrations. I was incredibly grateful, and I got VIP treatment that I wasn't owed. I was humbled and ecstatic and pleasantly overwhelmed to be surrounded by so much goodness and talent. I'll be seeing Track, Mike, and El-P again this October in Denver for my birthday! Run the motherfucking jewels, ya'll.
CHMIELIX 7:32 AM - 29 August, 2015
Winning a scratch battle against my nemesis, judged by Craze and Qbert.

Watchwww.youtube.com
RossRTJLogan 9:24 AM - 29 August, 2015
One of my favourite moments in hip hop was actually interviewing Trackstar the DJ for my website. I got the chance to do it before the Forvidden Fruit festival in Dublin, and he was a great guy who wanted to help me out whatever way he could. Also when leaving his hotel I ran into Killer Mike, who I believe is the greatest human being on earth, and that was the icing on the damn fine cake that was that day!
Shmity1708 5:30 PM - 29 August, 2015
My favorite show has got to be the time I saw Del the Funky Homosapien in Seattle right under the Space Needle for the Bunbershoot Festival. That was just too much greatness on one stage...
mattwpo 5:36 PM - 29 August, 2015
Clipse @ Richards on Richards in Vancouver way back, Got to meet Pusha.... Don't wanna Pander but caught RTJ 3 times last year so those all together were quite the experience.
Backwards 5:47 PM - 29 August, 2015
Not to come off as a kiss-ass but Sweden doesn't really have much of a hip hop scene. So my relation with hip hop (that existed since childhood) is really just from a far. Listening to it, observing it, digging it, and admiring it. I haven't really been to many concert because of, well it's Sweden and money. I had the luck the see Jay-Z live but the one taking the price is undeniable. This summer (this month even) I had the unbelievable experience to see Run The Jewels live. Along them Trackstar was on the scratches. I waited in a concert long before to get a spot on the front row. I got a salute from trackstar before the show. The duo came out to champion by Queens and the concert was the only thing ever to energize me, an lazy, introverted, shy kid. The show was insane and as the best crowd shouted for a encore, killer mike came humbled to explained that there was no time for an encore but it wasn't needed, the night was perfect. Well... almost. There I was, front row, sweaty, in awe, and so I lifted my RTJ2 LP up in the air which Killer mike took to sign. Later that night we saw several concert but my mind was still on that one show. Perfect.
Big_rain 5:55 PM - 29 August, 2015
I'll never forget meeting Killer mike and El-P at firefly. My phone was at about 3% when I saw that Mike tweeted that they were doing a signing. I ran over to the fye tent and used the last $30 in my bank account to buy a record version of rtj2. I was a bit late so I had to wait 20 minutes to get to see them. When I got to the front my phone was at 1% and I honestly don't know how my phone survived but I got a picture with them that wasn't corny looking like all the people in front of me. I wish I could say I said something cool to make KM and El-P laugh or something but I just kinda got my record signed and couldn't really speak. A couple hours later They preformed one of the best fucking sets I've ever seen. I thought that maybe it was the molly or blunts, but after reviewing my gopro the next day I really had gotten all the way to the front row and my go pro got everything. There's a moment that El is right in front of the camera just spitting. El p, trackstar and the rtj official page retweeted my pictures from the concert. Even though I was pretty bad I'll never forget thinking that the show was over just for them to come back and preform Angel Duster while the crowd was just raging. It One of the best experiences of my life and I hope to see them again so trackstar can sign my record like he tweeted.
Chiweenie_vs_corgi 6:02 PM - 29 August, 2015
My #1 RapFan moment happened in 2005 believe. I was a few weeks out from turning 21 and my friend asked me if I wanted to go to Roanoke Virginia to see Murs and of course I did so we drove there and he was playing the weird seafood restaurant called awful authers. And the door guy wouldn't let me in being under 21. But we saw Murs by his bus and ended up talking to him for like 30 mins. P.s he's the nicest dude ever. He ended up talking the door guys into letting me in on his guest list and gave me and my friend a few CDs and a tshirt. Unbelievable show and such a good dude. -Matt
paulgleeson08 6:44 PM - 29 August, 2015
My greatest moment as a rap fan was from last year when Run The Jewels played in Dublin. Me and my mate decided to arrive to Dublin early and paint a Run THe Jewels Mural on a wall facing the entrance to the venue they were playing that night. We just did it for fun and cos we were so influenced by RTJ. We never expected the guys to even see it.
Half way through painting, Trackstar and the manager rolled up and we got chatting to them. They were so psyched on the wall it was amazing. They were so humble and cool they hung out and chatted with us and even put all our crew with no tickets on the guest list.
RTJ tore the show apart and I'd figured that was the end to an already amazing day until the manager called me backstage cos id given him my record to get signed. He introduced me to Mike and Jamie and Trackstar who I'd already met. The guys were amazing and were so happy about the piece they asked me to take them to see it....so obviously I did with a big grin on my face!
We hung out by the wall and chatted about everything from the show to their plans for thanksgiving. I'll never forget how humble and generous everyone was with their time, it blew my mind that these guys would kill and hour and a half show and still have the energy to hang out with me and go see the wall. To top it all off the legendary photographer B Plus was there and snapped the 4 of us in front of the mural. Easily the greatest night of my life and reaffirmed why I'm a proud Jewel Runner.
#tagthejewels
pictures of the wall are in my instagram @mistertrixy
Tom F 6:50 PM - 29 August, 2015
Oh man, there have been so many Rap Fan moments throughout my life, much of them were Run The Jewels related too. I'm now basically known as "that kid with two RTJ tattoos."

My favorite though was around last November, when RTJ was touring in Chicago. They were set to play two sold out shows, back-to-back at the Metro, as well as a record signing a few blocks away. My friends and I all packed into the car and went into the city. In the spirit of the event, I painted the RTJ hands on the back of my jacket with "JEWEL RUNNER" across the top.

We were hype af waiting in line at the record signing. When I got to the table, Killer Mike signs the record, looks up at me, and he immediately smiles at me and remembers "This is the kid with the Run The Jewels tattoo!"

Fast-forward to waiting outside the venue: I got to talk to Track and EL-P, as well as show off the tattoo. Just as EL was about to go inside, he caught a glimpse of my jacket and took a photo.

And damn, those two shows were phenomenal. The second show was probably more intense than the first, and we were tired af afterwards.

After the show, we went across the street to a hot dog joint. As we sat and ate our food, Trackstar and his wife walked in, and we got to chat with them. Not long after that, Killer Mike and his wife walked in too. It's cool to interact with such cool and down-to-earth people.

[Also, meeting Despot was cool too, still waiting on the album]

That was the best day for jewel running and rap fanning.
UrsusBeats 6:54 PM - 29 August, 2015
One of the coolest moments was after I met Killer Mike after an amazing show he DJ Trackstar and El-P put up in a pouring rain in Helsinki, Finland couple years ago. I was soaking wet and all the people were crowded under a terrace roof, where dj was playing cool all vinyl funk set. Then Killer Mike walked by and we said hellos and took photos.
toxicpimpsmack 7:01 PM - 29 August, 2015
i was 15yr, it was 1988. public enemy was just banned from Boston. my mom got her and i seats, 3rd row center for the ri show. i honestly think we were the only white people there. lol not to mention we're both blonde/milk white skin. my mom had always been a rap fan. so when the s1w's came out and lynched a man dressed as the kkk and shouted into the audience "if your black and your proud, put a fist in the air" and with the quickness my mom's fist shot up. i looked at her and said, mommy, what are you doing? she looked me dead in the eye said tonight, sammie, we're all black. :-D
Never had any problems and def one of my favorite rap moments. don't know what Boston was afraid of.
Samantha
JeffSpaghetti 11:22 PM - 29 August, 2015
I Met DJ Trackstar for the first time at Cats Cradle in North Carolina. I had promised myself I'd only buy a rap fan hat if it was from him and I finally did. That was by far my favorite show I'd ever seen. I had just started college and for some reason after seeing RTJ I felt ready to go. They are all truly an inspiration to me as an MC and as a person. "We all start from the shoulders of giants but only those who are lucky will make them their clients." -JeffSpaghetti
sameri8373 11:50 PM - 29 August, 2015
I met Trackstar the DJ at Roskilde Festival in Denmark this past summer. I have always been a 'rap' fan. I first moved to Denmark in 2012 and that is when the 'Into the Wild' Mixtape first came out. That album made a huge impact on me and got me through the first months of work and a new country. I then reached out to Trackstar for an interview at the concert 3 years later when everyone became a jewel runner. I had previously seen RTJ in Boston that November the day after Thanksgiving. It was the best show I ever went to. I was in the front row at Roskilde and after managed to get backstage for the interview and met Trackstar the DJ. He had to grab food and we agreed to meet at the "Artist Village". I didn't have access but he said he'd meet me there. I waited and waited. Finally some nice lady let me through. I went to his green room only to find an exhausted Mike and Jaime. They weren't interested in me being there, I went to hunt down Trackstar and ended up having a great interview. It was an experience I will never forget.
jxd 7:54 PM - 30 August, 2015
For the past few years Evidence's music was both inspirational and rescuing to me. Having the opportunity to travel back to Athens in January after spending an amazing summer with my Greek girl there and meeting Evidence in person was definitely a dream come true.
DJ ROH.. 8:39 AM - 31 August, 2015
My best greatest memory as a Rap Fan was dragging all of my techno friends to DE LA SOUL @ Belvior Amphitheatre in Perth. It was one of the best acts i have ever seen and had all of my friends come and thank me for making them go.
Drufo 12:42 PM - 31 August, 2015
I think Dj Gruff with friends from all over italy presenting his record "Sandro O.B." at Leoncavallo in Milan has been one of the best acts for me as a rapfan.. it was 2009...
The guest were the heaviest MCs in Italy, like Clementino, Callister, Esa, L-Mare, Speaker Cenzou, Paura, Sawerio, Svez, and many others. There were even amazing djs as 2p, twice, bonnot.. and Gruff himself.

The vibe was hot and the music flown like i rarely heard. Hip Hop in Italy is still alive somewhere.
BOZMAN 2:27 PM - 31 August, 2015
still trying to figure this sb out could anyone please help ive seen on a youtube post ddj sb hip hop mix (billboard chats)where the guy reapeats the beat with auto loop highlighted while the tune is still playing without delaying the beat does any one what hes done to activate it
king_jaeho 7:11 PM - 31 August, 2015
Top moment as a fan is definitely when I got to go on stage at a Ghostface show in Portland and spit ODB's verse off Protect Ya Neck. Someone else went up ahead of me but he choked and I got a chance to get on. Peep the link:

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJR3DLINE 7:26 PM - 31 August, 2015
One of my best moments as a fan would be getting to see Bone Thugs at a small little venue in Chicago (Double Door) on a Tuesday night. This was something that just popped up that afternoon, and growing up in Cleveland, there was not a chance I'd miss the opportunity to see them at such an intimate venue.
Dave G. 12:05 AM - 1 September, 2015
Waiting in line in 1996 to buy All Eyez on Me the day it was released.
ProprPropaganda 12:05 AM - 1 September, 2015
Favorite memory is travelling to see the Beastie Boys on the Ill Communication tour.

Big fan of RTJ and DJ Trackstar.
thisjust-in 12:19 AM - 1 September, 2015
Being a Rap Fan I'd say one of my best moments being in the scene is when DJ Kaos from Artifacts and I were warming up on the turntables in Tempe for the Freshtivus Hip Hop show at Club Red. And I'm 23 and being a young kat rocking the tables with pretty much a on going legend is DOPE!!
@Skyler.gia 12:39 AM - 1 September, 2015
Trackstar the DJ is an awesome family friend to of mine. Run The Jewels and Rap Fan are very special to me because he gave me my own Rap Fan shirt for my birthday last year. ๐Ÿ˜Š
DanLoeb 1:15 AM - 1 September, 2015
WayHome Festival in Oro-Medonte, Ontario. Wearing a rap fan cap in the front row for run the jewels And seeing Track point me out. A true rap fan
YngHighness 9:44 AM - 1 September, 2015
Rock en Seine Festival in Paris. 2days ago, I saw Run The Jewels performing live. My friends wanted to see another show, so I just went alone. It was refreshing af. It felt good
S.S. 9:58 AM - 1 September, 2015
My greatest memory as a Rap Fan would have to be the time I saw Supernatural do a freestyle set at the Cop Shop on Long Island. There couldn't have been more than 100 people in the store and Nat treated us like we were 10,000. It was easily one of the rarest performances to witness in my opinion based on Nat's history of free styling. Can't forget the Juice battle - seeing him live was life changing and one of the most inspiring performances ever.
K between Philip Dick 10:52 AM - 1 September, 2015
This a loaded ass question. But I can't shake the first thing that popped in my head which was Brother Ali leading the entire audience in a 2 step and soul clap to Forrest Whitaker, it was the most heart filled moment i've ever had as a fan of hiphop. it made me feel apart of something greater than myself and it was rooted in love.
Janicide 10:52 AM - 1 September, 2015
One of my favourite moments was seeing RTJ at forbidden fruit in Ireland and them putting our tri colour flag on stage! And then going to see them again at Rock en Seine a couple of nights ago in France! Un...real!!!! Legends!
whyguy1000 11:13 AM - 1 September, 2015
Probably the best moment was putting on the Liquid Swords Vinyl for the first time and just getting completely lost in the madness of the dueling mics... it was wonderful.
charlienovis 4:20 PM - 1 September, 2015
Seeing Kanye walking out onto the stage in his Margiela mask at London Wireless last year. I've seen him since and I know I'll see him again, but there's nothing quite like seeing your favourite artist out in front of you for the first time.
Jbeck 6:32 PM - 1 September, 2015
Definitely the day my stepfather sat me down and we listened to Ill Communication on vinyl. Hip Hop ever since.
Jbeck 6:35 PM - 1 September, 2015
R.I.P. MCA
@whitesaid 11:46 PM - 1 September, 2015
Age 10.

"Welcome to the Terrordome"

Dubbed on a blank tape back-to-back-to-back-to-back..
Davideon 7:20 AM - 2 September, 2015
I don't like Rap
jgeeeeer 11:16 PM - 3 September, 2015
Met Snoop on the street right after R&G came out. Shook his hand. Made my month.
m_spitz 6:55 AM - 4 September, 2015
When DJ AM warmed up for Jay-Z and brought surprise special guest star Warren G out on stage to perform Regulate. Then watching Jay-Z perform with a full orchestra.

Also, my brother's buying me Run DMCs Raising Hell for my 12 birthday. First rap LP I owned and that was it. The obsession began.

Also hearing Welcome to the Terrordrome on the radio for the first time and thinking "what the hell is this?!" The mind blowing power of P.E.

And seeing legend Big Daddy Kane perform a couple of years ago. Flawless victory.
JohnnyT573 3:00 PM - 4 September, 2015
Front of the stage in St. Louis at The Ready Room Monday, November 24th, 2014. It was a little after the verdict dropped and Shit was REAL! A huge moment for me to witness But more importantly, a monumental moment for HIP-HOP, Ferguson and Mike.

But being the only white dude in Memphis with my fist up watching Dj Lord kill the 1s and 2s during Public Enemy set is a close second. XP
djSTORMS 3:02 PM - 4 September, 2015
I had the chance to catch RTJ at the Regent Theater in DTLA. The show had been sold out for weeks but I was lucky enough to grab a ticket in front of the venue before the show.

Prior to RTJ, the last rap show I saw was Kanye on the Glow in The Dark tour so I was loooong overdue for another rap concert. During the show RTJ brought out Gangsta Boo and later on Boots to perform with them.

It was one of the most hype shows I have ever experienced and it turned me into a #RapFan and #JewelRunner for life! I cant wait for the boys to get back state side and hit the Midwest in the coming month!!
Dhoeks 1:47 AM - 5 September, 2015
My favorite memory would be winning this contest and getting some awesome stuff.
Othisgirlo 1:47 AM - 5 September, 2015
Every time I put my headphones on and listen to music that's what I love about hip hop, the place it takes it to, how you can zone out and be in that moment of that song, where for those couple mins it can make you forget about your troubles! Music the passion behind the lyrics the way you hear that artist put their heart into how can you not love it! I've been to many concerts from Outkast to The Roots to Die Antword, like Talib said "music is the air I breath the prayer I lead"
rparrish577 2:37 AM - 5 September, 2015
wu tang and rage against the machine @ merriweather post pavillion maryland summer 1997!!!! enough said.
Liam Leroux 3:14 AM - 5 September, 2015
A turntable battle at the now defunct Crown Pub in #yeg. MC Touch aka Dirty Needlz spins a record of the Queen of England speaking at her silver jubilee and scratches her voice all to hell. I lost my mind laughing.

Also, I met Killer Mike at a different venue, same town. He signed my RTJ album and chased El-P off the bus for his signature too.

Hyped for RTJ3. Keep 'em coming lads!
GoosefromCC 4:12 AM - 5 September, 2015
Rock the Bells 07' on Randalls Island was a great show! Through my travels I met alot of the Weatherman. The free RTJ show in Tulsa was nuts. They previewed Close your Eyes. Tore up The Yeti.
Arrozblanco 4:25 AM - 5 September, 2015
Best concert or experience for me has to be meeting the roots at their hotel room in ATL to bring them herb. We smoked had some drinks and then they invited us to their show. We walked in backstage and watched the roots with de la soul, common, and Kayne. Show was great but then we went to party after the show. Amazing time.
dojdiablo 4:53 AM - 5 September, 2015
One of my favorite memories is ofseeing Run The Jewels in Portland in 2013, right after their debut album dropped. The best part was that Killer Mike and EL-P each did solo sets before the RTJ set. I would have gladly paid tge same price to see any one of those shows, let alone all three. Highlight of Mike's stellar solo set had to be when he had 1000 kids chanting the refrain from "Reagan". Rap church indeed.
_atariatlas 5:08 AM - 5 September, 2015
ok, so when i was 20, i had been into defjux for a few years (which other than the rap i grew up on, shit like digital underground, young mc, kid frost, 2 live crew, etc...shut up, i'm old) and it was all but the first hiphop i'd gotten into, pretty much ever. so when they used to hold these defjux shows at slim's in san francisco (which was weird being a jukie via california) i showed up to every show possible. i saw aesop rock, cage, mr. lif, murs, yak ballz, hangar 18, sa smash, everyone on def jux for like $5-$7 per show. fucking sweet. anyway, there was this one show that my then-boyfriend and i took my little brother to, who was 13 at the time, and it was his first show ever. ALL the weathermen were there, we were geeking the FUCK out. el-p was at the merch table and he said something to my bro about not fucking with his phone and even THAT was cool. i hella wanted to talk to him, to say something, just to kind of let him know how much my love for his music had impacted my life, but i wasn't gonna do it buying a t-shirt, that just seemed lame. so i waited til i saw him walk away, then i sent my bf back through the merch line to buy me a vinyl monster belt buckle, grabbed the kid and jammed over to el as fast as i possibly could, before the opportunity had passed. see, i didn't want to meet/talk to mr. meline with my ex bf, baby huey, in tow, but my 13yo brother was cool. so i asked him to sign my def jukie t-shirt, and just started gushing about how much i loved his music. i told him he saved my life by giving me something to love, and he shook my hand then, with both of his hands (i almost died) and he thanked me. then my brother started asking him about central services and when forever frozen was gonna drop and el was like, wtf kid?! how do you even know about that?? haha fuck. anyway. i'll never forget it.
Griendling 5:54 AM - 5 September, 2015
Coolest hip hop moment was at the run the jewels 2 tour stop in Philadelphia on Halloween also the same night there letterman performance was airing. They had finished up there set plus one encore already then came back out into the crowd to chill and watch there performance with everybody...so awesome
Rochelle 6:05 AM - 5 September, 2015
I weaseled my way to the front of a 7,000 person crowd (full of fuck boys) at a Snoop Dogg concert. I finally made it up to the barrier and a few songs later, Snoop tossed me the rest of his blunt. The crowd tackled me and I didn't catch the blunt (had to save my falling glasses instead) but I didn't care. Snoop still threw it to me.
Artemis the Archer 2:30 PM - 5 September, 2015
One of my greatest moments was seeing a bunch of my friends in Dr. Dundiff & Friends perform at Forecastle Festival with a crowd bigger than Big Krit's! A huge accomplishment for the underground scene in Louisville. Another was being in the front for Hail Mary Mallon's set in Chicago, it was so inspirational.
A funny story about RTJ was when me and my friends went down to Nashville to see them and one of us got kicked out for underage drinking and they messaged Killer Mike and said "if you see this I got kicked out so please help me get back in!". Killer Mike liked it but he had to wait in the car until the show was over.
Wild Lotus Media 7:48 PM - 5 September, 2015
My greatest memory as a Rap Fan was definately seeing Run the Jewels live for the first time. It was in Philadelphia on Halloween of 2014. The atmosphere on South Street was insane. People were running around in costumes acting crazy. Once I got into the venue, a lot of jewel runners were dressed up also. Of course, their performance was amazing. After the show was over, El yelled for the big screen in the venue to get dropped down, so that the whole crowd could watch RTJ on the Letterman show. It was a lot of fun having El and Mike annotate the commercials and analyze their performance while watching the show live on air... with all of the fans. Best night and most unforgettable show ever! :)
MattDSTV 10:09 PM - 5 September, 2015
I have so many great memories and moments from hip hop it's difficult to narrow it down. My 1st show was in New Orleans watching Snoop Dogg & Missy Elliott with my dad. Meeting David Banner was a big deal to me. I was able to speak with him for a few minutes. He passed on so much knowledge that I was speechless. Banner was the first out of Mississippi to make it so that was special to me. And of course I would be wrong if I don't include Run The Jewels. At the show in NOLA I acted like a teenage girl. I was too excited to think clearly. When I saw "The Tag Team Champions" again in Athens they definitely didn't disappoint. The energy and inspiration Mike, El, & Trackstar give is tremendous. You guys have really gotten me excited for hip hop again. Can't wait to see #RTJ against in New Orleans and I know the show will be epic.
johnkarma101 12:02 AM - 6 September, 2015
I came across LCD Soundsystem around the time their last album came out and about a year prior to their last show at Madison Square. Within that time frame I caught up with all their music that had previously been released and began a relationship with listening to music in a way I never had before and much of it I've attributed to Murphy's musical sensibility and his passion for sound. However, I never took the opportunity to see him live with his band and it's one of the only few regrets I've had so far in life. I was heartbroken knowing that I'd never have the chance to experience something that I loved so much, especially after I felt like they were directly responsible for my intense appreciation of music.

Several years later he announced a DJ tour around the country and one of his stops happened to be here in Austin. Tickets sold out before I knew they had even gone on sale but my girlfriend found a ticket that was way, way above its original value on Craigslist and surprised me with it (Hannah, thank you so much again babe, you really are the best ever). I felt like a kid on Christmas morning leading up to that night and finally getting to see Murphy DJing in his element while I danced the night away with all my friends is one of the most special things I've ever experienced. I didn't realize it at the time, but seeing his set gave me a bit of closure from never seeing his band live and it's something I'll always be grateful for
Shaft77 3:24 PM - 6 September, 2015
I had just moved to Toronto and broke up with my girl. My homie brought me to party and while waiting in line I met MOP! Was the first time I actually just had a chill conversation with people I thought where rap gods. Then inside the club I ran into Kardinal Official and had another quick conversation and ended up with a bacardi and coke on the house. Right after that I turned around and Biz Markie was standing right there. Couldn't believe it. Was super chill dude and even hooked me up with a poster and signed it for me! I knew after that night that Toronto was my new home and still is.
Thatrealone 3:41 PM - 6 September, 2015
My favorite memory of being a rap fan is first and forth most, watching this beautiful culture flourish into the massive enigma it is today, that has room for everyone but also can hold the greats on such a high almost godlike pedestal. That's my favorite memory of rap. The best moment I have visualized in rap is meeting underground legends like Tech N9ne, Bone Thugs, Ice T, Esham, and many more. I wish I could have added RTJ to that list, but the night I went to their show in Detroit at the historic ST. Andrews my buddy got sick and I had to drive him 2 hours home before the openers were even on stage. But to feel the energy of the RTJ fans in the building is still a great memory.
covertburito 8:39 PM - 6 September, 2015
For sure the night I saw RTJ at Ottawa bluesfest. Unfortunately I don't have many huge memories as a rap fan but having my first show being for a group that I love and respect was amazing. This isnt to say that RTJ was the only factor in this, being at a festival with so many people who really truely enjoy music and enjoy feeling the way I do when I really get into a song, record or artist was amazing. Nothing before the RTJ concert that night had really ever given me that level of comfort and belonging. Though the day was filled with some hot and long walks waiting for shows and other things to start, it was worth being there late for an amazing concert with so many other people as passionate as myself. My trip to Ottawa with some of my best friends was nothing short of perfect and really proved to me that not only is rap music, with all its culture and diversity, amazing, but music in general is simply something too beautiful and freeing to not endulge your life in.
thejaspadisasta 2:32 PM - 7 September, 2015
I think my two greatest moments as a rap fan were meeting Killer Mike at the Masquerade in ATL after the Shoes For Running your and then also being there to witness the legendary return of Outkast in Atlanta last September. I still remember the first time I heard R.A.P. Music as well as the first time I heard Aquemini. The only two things in life I truly love are rap music and skateboarding. Also my school is requiring me to do a senior project where you learn a new skill over the course of the year and I'm doing DJing so winning this would be tight. Also, I've seen you DJ before a couple times Track and you're a huge inspiration.
Lewis Hart 2:41 PM - 7 September, 2015
Seeing run the jewels at Dismaland. It was so great to see all the UK fans go insane and to show RTJ that they are very much respected and loved here. And that their important message means a whole lot to us. It was amazing seeing the best rap artists spread their message in such an important art place. It gave me so many chills down my spine seeing everyone shout the lyric in unity. First ever time seeing my idols and it was perfect. Please do a UK tour! Thanks.
Swicky 2:44 PM - 7 September, 2015
Best concert I've seen?
Probably took place this summer in STL. On the one year anniversary of Michael Brown's murder, everyone packed themselves into an undersized venue to watch an incredible lineup of emcees. Immortal Technique played a set. Pharoahe Monch played a set. Local hero Tef Poe played a set. Cornell West may have been on stage at one point. The night wore on but the show was just getting started. Talib Kweli came out next with a full band and played some of his classics. He then brought out Bun B, which was a very pleasant surprise.
Things slowed down for a couple minutes, then fucking Common got on stage. He played a really high energy set, everyone was vibing along, and then he stopped rapping for a minute to give a speech about Mike Brown. Common is a very smart man. Anyway, that's probably my best concert experience. Both times I saw RTJ was dope, though. First time I saw them I got them to
sign my shoe which was lit, second time I got to hand El-P a joint on stage.
Andy Cruz 3:01 PM - 7 September, 2015
My memorable moment, was the first time seeing RTJ, at the echoplex. What makes it memorable to me was that was the first show I had ever been to by myself, I thought it would be a pretty crappy time, but once RTJ came on, everything completely turned around. I kept giving off the music, and energy in the crowd, and by the end of the night, I had forgotten I was there by myself. Not something I would probably do again, but definitely an amazing experience overall. Thanks for the amazing show.
lighter_jammies 3:04 PM - 7 September, 2015
theres been so many #rapfan moments, but i guess a classic first time i saw RUN DMC, and being blown away by everything Jam Master Jay did. possibly more so thatn run dmc on stage. alltogether great experience and unforgettable, and legendary
reblbass 3:54 PM - 7 September, 2015
Damn, how do I choose just one? Chilling with the Goats back in '94 was great. Meeting El-P finally in 2010 after the Company Flow reunion set at Creators Project was great too. But I think the best would be running into Chuck D in the airport around 2004 and actually getting to have a 15-20 minute conversation about the state of rap music tops the list.
Pimpson 4:15 PM - 7 September, 2015
My favorite memory is being in Atlanta for a Death From Above 1979 show and a friend of mine saying we should check out the Run The Jewels show the day before. Not knowing anything about Run the Jewels we listened to both albums all day and went to the show. It was one of the best shows I've been so and instantly feel in love with all three of you. The energy of the crowd was amazing, when everyone jumped up and down it felt like the floor of the place was going to cave in. But I didn't care, I was having a blast. We bought a ton of merchant at the end of the show and I've been a Rap fan ever since I
F1EMINGO 6:06 PM - 7 September, 2015
My favorite moment was earlier this year when my Dad bought us tickets to a Run The Jewels concert in LA at the Regent. It was the most amazing show ever, I had been to a couple of punk rock concerts before, but this was the biggest mosh pit I had ever seen, everyone was pushing back and forth just to inch themselves closer to the stage. Lucky for me I was front row and was feeling the entire crowd behind me. Everyone knew all of the lyrics and the entire theater rapped along with Mike and L. At the end of the concert I got to shake Mikes hand, and in an LA times article about the show, I was in one of the pictures! That was one of my favorite experiences of all time, it was just awesome.
David Maynard 6:47 PM - 7 September, 2015
My favorite and first memory of hip-hop!
Growing up in Germany 8yrs old spending the night at my friend JJs house, his older brother let us listen to his LL Cool J TAPE "walking with a panther" we thought it was the baddest thing ever!! We played Nintendo and wore that tape out!!
BuzzerBeater 7:53 PM - 7 September, 2015
Here are my two biggest Rap Fan moments to date. It's hard to choose between the two as the first is when I really became a Rap Fan and the second reinvigorated the passion, plus they happened about a decade apart.

The first was when I was working with a local SF underground hip hop label. It was the day after Christmas and they were opening for Wu-Tang. I drove from LA to SF and made it just in time to meet the crew at the bar down the street before hitting the venue. I brought a stack of fresh white "rap towels" and had shots delivered to the stage during their song "tequila". After they went on I got to see Wu-Tang for the the first time. We were up in the VIP balcony and from above I watched Method Man walked out ON the crowd while rapping his verse. I didn't even know that was possible and it was like watching (rap) Jesus walk on water (the crowd). I had never been in a VIP section before, I was seeing my favorite group, I saw something unbelievable, and in some small way I was a tiny party of the show. I was hooked on rap after that like a junkie.

The second was seeing Run the Jewels at Coachella this year. I went by myself. I had just seen them for the first time a month before. I got as close as I could to the stage during the act before and when they finished and people left I ended up in the very front against the gates. The crowd was intense. Mike and El were intense and perfectly on point but still relaxed and you could tell they were happy to be there performing. They brought out every guest in the catalogue. When the show ended Mike and El went into the crowd and I got to shake El's hand. It was by far the best live show I've ever seen and I couldn't have been any closer.

Seeing Wu-Tang with the crew from up top was like watching war happen with the generals. Seeing RTJ at Coachella was like being a soldier on the front line of the battle. The thing they had in common was both changed the way I saw rap and what I thought was possible on stage. Plus each of them made me a bigger Rap Fan.
Collar John 9:12 PM - 7 September, 2015
Realizing all the artists I dug hardcore were homies on Definitive Jux
respectTHEelements 9:23 PM - 7 September, 2015
biggest rap moments to date.... when Kool Herc picked up the mic for the first time and when Kurtis Lowe first rapped the line ....cuz these are the breaks
djmnts 11:12 PM - 7 September, 2015
Seeing the Beastie Boys live during the Ill Communication tour
Theskyblueballykid 11:17 PM - 7 September, 2015
My biggest rap fan moment was getting chosen to rap Method Man's verse from Protect Ya Neck on stage with Ghostface Killah and Sheek Louch in my hometown. Watching the entire crowd cheer me on was incredible. After the show, I got to meet Ghostface and he thanked me for rocling with him on stage and told me I did a great job. I'll never forget that night.
Lovemarco 11:21 PM - 7 September, 2015
I can't really tell you one of my fav Hip hop memories. The impact the genre has had on me can be seen throughout my life. Learning to break dance, produce music, graffiti and fucking around with friends putting on a Nas instrumental trying to catch the flow. This year is gonna be known for hip hop and I'm glad all this talent is being showcased. I'll keep it short and end it with a happy 4:20 Mike, Jamie, TS
Sewerside 11:23 PM - 7 September, 2015
My favourite 3 moments as RAP FAN are
1. when i went to other country (catch bus and flight ) to attend 2 day festival ,with line up of : Epmd,Redman,Alkaholiks,Lords of the Underground,Onyx,Jeru etc.. before i got there i was helping festival to get video shout-outs of artists who send me online and that was awesome,but it turn out that i will hang with them 2 days backstage and stay in same hotel.They was really suprised i travel so far to visit a festival, Erick Sermon ask me where im from while PMD give me his personal tshirt after finishing HEADBANGA with Redman on stage..It was really a dream come tru and unexpected experience with hip hop legends..
2.Meeting with DAS EFX before the show and bring their whole discography on cd/vinyl/tape and they was signing almost 30 minuts :) They see that one of cds have remix instrumental version that they dont have it and ask me to rip it to their lap top, i say its your music feel free to rip it :)
3.end up smokin blunt with Keith Murray and rappin old lyrics of his rare songs :)
Lovemarco 11:24 PM - 7 September, 2015
*jaime. Sorry El
noyen 11:29 PM - 7 September, 2015
hearing public enemy for the first time as a young, angry kid in virginia beach. after the university riots. feeling like my frustration and anger had an outlet others were using to make remarkable change.
savor 12:10 AM - 8 September, 2015
The Rock Steady anniversary event back in 2010 watching Big Daddy Kane perform and then have a break dance contest with the Rock Steady Crew
Joshmills 12:28 AM - 8 September, 2015
Meeting track and El at Art the jewels in la. I was super nervous and they were very nice and such cool guys.
Andrewh47 12:50 AM - 8 September, 2015
My favorite moment would have to be getting to see the underachievers and flatbush zombies team up on their clockwork indigo tour. And I got to meet one of my favorite artists Issa Gold there.
djdigg 1:08 AM - 8 September, 2015
bodhi 2:03 AM - 8 September, 2015
Back in '05 or '06, I saw that Kid Koala was coming through town. I had read his comic, "Nufonia Must Fall," at the library earlier in the year, so I checked it out for him to sign. After wrangling my wasted buddy, we got to the show late, but in time to see him do "Moon River." I hung out afterward and finally got to chat with him. When I showed him the comic book, his eyes got huge and he started laughing. I asked him to sign it and he dedicated the book to all of the librarians. I returned the book the next day, and last time I checked, it was still in circulation.

Seeing Kid Koala meant a lot to me, as "Deltron 3030" was the first album that got me into hip-hop. Coupled with the fact that he's a nice and genuine dude, this moment has to be my greatest memory as a rap fan.

Fun follow-up: I saw him earlier this year again, but my local library in my new hometown only had CD's. So I brought him one and he signed the liner notes, drawing a little robot. And he wore that goddamn koala outfit during the Texas summer like a fucking champ.
Fhzpanda 5:02 AM - 8 September, 2015
My favorite hip-hop concert experience was seeing rtj live in Houston Texas. It was the second rap concert I had been too and the hype and performance was unforgettable.
Bark2nite 9:18 AM - 8 September, 2015
After being infatuated hip hop for over 15 at that point, finally made a small trip to see Run DMC in Scranton, PA in 1999. My roommates and I drove roughly an hour in January through snow in northeastern PA to see the gods. I knew DMC's voice was shot at the time, but I still had to witness them firsthand. They were my gataway into this drug called hip hop. After watching them rock a show for over an hour and seeing jam master jay kill the tables. I waiting for them at the bar post show and got all three members to sign my high top shell toe Adidas that I wore to the show. It's my prized possession in hip hop (neck in neck with my 1200's that are autographed by the x-men). I walked through the streets of Scranton in the snow that night with only one shoe on, holding this gem like a new born baby. You can check the pic on Instagram tagged with trackstar and serato.

That's hip hop
Serato
Eddie R 9:44 PM - 8 September, 2015
Thanks for entering everyone!
Was good to hear your favourite moments as a Rap Fan.
Winners will be notified by mail through your serato.com account so keep your eyes peeled.
HammerAnvilStirrup 11:16 PM - 8 September, 2015
Seeing Killer Mike on CNN using his influence to give a strong voice to issues that need to be discussed and addressed, that's the biggest rap catharsis I've had so far. I'm a #RapFan because it's a platform to bring injustice to light and be vocal about important issues that too often fall on deaf ears.

Spittin' truth garners respect. You guys are leaders.
Mackle 12:40 AM - 9 September, 2015
My greatest and freshest hip hop memory as of late has got to be RTJ at Coachella earlier this year. I'm pretty hyped about their whole style, the heavy beats and energetic lyrics, and everything about them and their message is just so relevant to the time we're living in. Bringing in Zach de la Rocha, Travis Barker and Gangsta Boo as guests to perform with them as well just goes to show what kind of respect these guys deserve. I feel privileged to say they have influenced me stylistically, and challenged me to continue to grow intellectually, which is hard to find for me these days.
Second best memory is going to have to be deejaying a hip hop set in 2011 in Santa Barbara with Tony Royster Jr. live on the drums
YOUNG SON 7:05 AM - 10 September, 2015
So many memories from the Word of Mouth Tour : J5 Dilated Cut Chemist vs Shortcut MC Supernatural and the World Famous Beat Junkies
To sharing the stage with Trackstar at the Dilla Day show and Secret stages in Bham, AL. And of course the last Run The Jewels show at Zydeco in Birmingham.
DJ Tanner (BHM, LIBOTOMIX)
YOUNG SON 7:07 AM - 10 September, 2015
So many memories from the Word of Mouth Tour : J5 Dilated Cut Chemist vs Shortcut MC Supernatural and the World Famous Beat Junkies
To sharing the stage with Trackstar at the Dilla Day show and Secret stages in Bham, AL. And of course the last Run The Jewels show at Zydeco in Birmingham was amazing.

DJ Tanner (BHM, LIBOTOMIX)