DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 57MKll <VS> Pioneer DJM-S9

AKIEM 9:26 PM - 6 August, 2015
Which one should i get?
AKIEM 9:39 PM - 6 August, 2015
Pioneer has no post fader effects, is that correct?
DJ EmP 9:45 PM - 6 August, 2015
all really depends on your dj style, rane mixer lacks effects the pads are small, you only get 4 per deck i believe. if you really want to go with rane id suggest getting a used 62 they are around 14-1500 and it works with scratch live as well as the 57mk2 doesn't. i used to own a 909 and loved the two channel pioneer mixers and have been waiting for them to release a new one for a while. the lock on and trigger effects were awesome. if you are just a pure scratch dj and dont really mess around with cue points and effects get the rane. i use an SP1 with my djm 900 so for it to be integrated into the mixer means i can leave it in the studio which is a plus for me.

I think all of effects that are post fader on the big mixers (i.e Echo, Reverb) are post fader on this one but even if they arent you can program the izotope effects into the 6 slots which some of them are post fader.
AKIEM 10:41 PM - 6 August, 2015
Yeah the 909 effect switches were excellent. Ive never owned one but ive always felt the 57 joysticks never matched up to the lock/momentary effects.

Right so the software effects can be post-fader, thats good.
Joee 11:12 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
Which one should i get?

get both

:p
DJTorchmusic 12:01 AM - 7 August, 2015
Looks a lot like the NI Mixer, just a little better built. I'm pretty sure my scratching days are over though.
05spoof 3:32 AM - 7 August, 2015
Quote:

I hope that's not true. I thought it handled the effects like how 57mkII does. Having Jazzy jeff in their promo video almost confirms it supports post fader effects.

Disappointed that the channel fader's are not magvell as well. Hopefully It's innofader compatible at least and that the channel curve's are as sharp as the crossfader curve.

The limited edition looks hot. O5 appeal to it.
Davideon 7:02 AM - 7 August, 2015
The effects are post fader
AKIEM 10:37 PM - 7 August, 2015
Quote:

Hmmm
Joee 10:40 PM - 7 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm

get it! (S9)……I've been using controllers for like 2/3 years now…..this mixer is calling me, i might just go back to turn tables
AKIEM 10:46 PM - 7 August, 2015
Not both tho - i dont do weddings like that.
Joee 10:51 PM - 7 August, 2015
Quote:

cool cool, get the s9

as long as the new fader is legit & pioneer has improved the output sound quality than s9 hands down

but than theres the made in america quality of rane……cars foreign all day, mixers USA all day

rane's are built in the us right?
AKIEM 10:58 PM - 7 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

cool cool, get the s9

as long as the new fader is legit & pioneer has improved the output sound quality than s9 hands down

but than theres the made in america quality of rane……cars foreign all day, mixers USA all day

rane's are built in the us right?

Yeah, they build and service them up near Seattle.

To me thats important. I havnt needed it, but i know i can send my Rane in for service pretty easy and can talk to someine directly.
JDforKing 11:30 PM - 7 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm

get it! (S9)……I've been using controllers for like 2/3 years now…..this mixer is calling me, i might just go back to turn tables

You will not go back to turntables for mobile gigs. Not a chance lol
Joee 11:46 PM - 7 August, 2015
Quote:
You will not go back to turntables for mobile gigs. Not a chance lol

SHUT UP!!!!!!

lol
WarpNote 5:30 PM - 8 August, 2015
Akiem, the FX are post fader.
Even though I already own the DJM900SRT and the Rane 62 (use them with DDJ-SP1),
I find myself wanting the DJM-S9 too. ;-)
AKIEM 8:05 PM - 8 August, 2015
Ah, ok.

dope
FighteRanger 9:47 AM - 9 August, 2015
Quote:

Scatch Bastid posted a video of him using the S9 mixer. He use the echo effect (and others of course), and just by looking at the video. The mixer is post fader :)

Watchwww.youtube.com
Niro 10:11 AM - 9 August, 2015
The efx1000 fx switch or joysticks? Hmm, I prefer the jousticks and the ability to midi map them in the next update is going to be cool. I have also been using the software effects in stead of the onboard effects lately, I assign it to one button and it frees up the others, it's also post fader.

The S9 is a good looking mixer with nice features, only real life experience will tell how it handles the rigors of everyday use. The Limited Gold edition IMO looks doodoo. They should babe had Veatax design it (they alwaysake sexy mixers. :) Overall I think this is a step in the right direction and more companies getting into the 2 channel mixer action will help everyone out.
skinnyguy 1:27 PM - 9 August, 2015
split cue?
DJ Remy USA 5:07 PM - 9 August, 2015
Quote:

it does have post fader fx
AKIEM 5:19 PM - 9 August, 2015
Quote:
The efx1000 fx switch or joysticks? Hmm, I prefer the jousticks and the ability to midi map them in the next update is going to be cool. I have also been using the software effects in stead of the onboard effects lately, I assign it to one button and it frees up the others, it's also post fader.

Yes. I have to agree with the mapable joystick being the better of the two. But i still think the latch and momentary in one switch is genius. It would be awsome if the FlexFX worked that way. I would even be happy if you could set them to momentary then 'shift' to latch.

And the joysticks set to transformer should be reversible so you can tap against the spring for open.
DJ EmP 7:20 PM - 9 August, 2015
Just read this on the effects section

15 on-board Beat FX: Six dedicated buttons trigger the popular Echo, Delay, Reverb, Flanger, Phaser and Trans in time with the BPM; or you can replace these with other on-board Beat FX.

55 Serato DJ FXi: You can map the six buttons, and two additional banks, to your favourite Serato DJ FX powered by iZotope.

Filter FX: A high pass/low pass filter on each channel lets you manipulate FX; you can switch this for other filters and FX, including Dub, Echo, Noise and Pitch.

The fact that you can change the individual filter fx on each channel to something other than just a HPF/LPF is big, i love noise echos on the 900 and 850. that makes this mixer completely customizable for the user as well, which is what i loved about the 909 with the 50 effects and three efx banks. hopefully they can be used with the upfaders and cross faders as well.
DJ GaFFle 8:41 PM - 11 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Can somebody explain to me the concept of post fader EFX?
DJ Irv 9:06 PM - 11 August, 2015
Quote:

It means the effect tail continues after the fader has been switched off. This lets the echo fade out nice and clean.
05spoof 9:11 PM - 11 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Means the fader is before the EFX in the signal chain. So the EFX will always be on regardless of what the fader is doing.
DJ GaFFle 9:39 PM - 11 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

It means the effect tail continues after the fader has been switched off. This lets the echo fade out nice and clean.

Oh that's HUGE!
DJ Remy USA 10:02 PM - 12 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Means the fader is before the EFX in the signal chain. So the EFX will always be on regardless of what the fader is doing.

after you mean
DJ Remy USA 10:03 PM - 12 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh that's HUGE!

very important almost all Pio's have post fader fx after the DJM 700 I believe.
DJ_Clippz 6:38 PM - 20 August, 2015
The S9 is a must!
Rebelguy 7:21 PM - 20 August, 2015
Quote:
The S9 is a must!

A must for who?
GusGomez 7:58 PM - 20 August, 2015
Quote:

I think all of effects that are post fader on the big mixers (i.e Echo, Reverb) are post fader on this one but even if they arent you can program the izotope effects into the 6 slots which some of them are post fader.

How do you program the Izotope effects to the 6 slots?
DJ_Clippz 1:49 PM - 21 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
The S9 is a must!

A must for who?

Maybe not a must but is surely looks like a beast of a mixer!
DJ Irv 1:54 PM - 21 August, 2015
If Pioneer gives the S9 a 3 year warranty like Rane then it would be absolutely no comparison and clear win for the S9.
Joee 1:58 PM - 21 August, 2015
Quote:
Maybe not a must but is surely looks like a beast of a mixer!

i would say it is……if you looking for a mixer that has a built in ddj sp1 , theres nothing like it on the market
05spoof 7:21 PM - 22 August, 2015
There have been a lot of people trying to move their MKII's lately. Got to wonder if they are trying to make the switch to an S9.
monchi 4:00 AM - 23 August, 2015
Same difference with guys that were / are moving M5Gs for PLessX , thinking Pio are better .
MPC O.G. 12:23 PM - 23 August, 2015
If Rane puts the joysticks on the next 62 and improves the buttons the S9 will be right back to being second fiddle.
05spoof 12:50 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
Same difference with guys that were / are moving M5Gs for PLessX , thinking Pio are better .

lol! Funny you mention that. Trying to get an M5G from the same folks who are trying to move to PLX's but their asking prices are stupid. Crazy how some are asking for twice the amount of what a PLX is worth. If it was worth that much why would you make the switch to begin with is all I'm saying.

Even a GLD wouldn't cost that much but maybe a DMC Technics would.
DJ Irv 4:26 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
Even a GLD wouldn't cost that much but maybe a DMC Technics would.

GLD's consistently sell on ebay for over 3000. As for DMC Technics I don't know of anyone willing to sell theirs and if someone bought them they would be looked down on for not winning them. Just my opinion.

M5G's are gong for about 800 on ebay and locally in NYC. Still rather have an M5G over a PLX-1000 anyday.
05spoof 5:41 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:

M5G's are gong for about 800 on ebay and locally in NYC. Still rather have an M5G over a PLX-1000 anyday.

Problem with the bids on eBay is the price many times end up exactly near those overpriced ones and the ones that sell for a reasonable price end up back on eBay a week or to later priced like it was the last working M5G on the planet.

There came an opportunity a few months back to get two GLD's for 1600 but I got this stupid perception that GLD's are to be admired and not used. Plus I felt I wasn't going to get my money's worth knowing I wouldn't be using the GLD platters just to keep them clean.
DJ GaFFle 6:18 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:

There came an opportunity a few months back to get two GLD's for 1600 but I got this stupid perception that GLD's are to be admired and not used. Plus I felt I wasn't going to get my money's worth knowing I wouldn't be using the GLD platters just to keep them clean.

My sentiments... they're awesome to flex on FB and Instagram pics but to gig with them seems foolish. I've seen plenty on the web with tarnished start/stop buttons and other gold parts looking plenty worn. Nothing worse than seeing an abused GLD.
DJ Irv 8:42 PM - 23 August, 2015
Used my GLD's 10years but, didnt' bring them out often. They still look really good but, I had to put them away since the clear coat on the stop button started to peel on one.
05spoof 9:10 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

My sentiments... they're awesome to flex on FB and Instagram pics but to gig with them seems foolish. I've seen plenty on the web with tarnished start/stop buttons and other gold parts looking plenty worn. Nothing worse than seeing an abused GLD.

Exactly. At that point it's no better then an M5G to me.

Quote:
Used my GLD's 10years but, didnt' bring them out often. They still look really good but, I had to put them away since the clear coat on the stop button started to peel on one.

See that type of thing would bug me till I replaced the part and those parts are expensive and rare.
DJ Irv 9:12 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
See that type of thing would bug me till I replaced the part and those parts are expensive and rare.

I have family in Japan and a friend that once worked for Panasonic in Osaka so I'm a bit privileged. I understand what you mean tho about minor cosmetic things driving you nuts.
PopRoXxX 5:16 PM - 25 August, 2015
Quote:

This all the way. The PLX was not made well for their first run.
05spoof 2:01 PM - 26 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I have family in Japan and a friend that once worked for Panasonic in Osaka so I'm a bit privileged. I understand what you mean tho about minor cosmetic things driving you nuts.

I usually wouldn't care but for something like a GLD or anything limited It does deserve some extra care.
kruptah 5:11 PM - 27 August, 2015
Thank you AKIEM for creating this discussion.

I've been asking myself and other the same questions all of August.
kruptah 5:26 PM - 27 August, 2015
Seem like the OP's original question has been answer but no definite reasons as to WHY one should opt for the S9 over MKII.

I've heard people say Pioneer mixers don't sound as good as other top rated manufacturers, maybe due to how much money they spend on their marketing campaign as opposed to the hardware.

Does the MKII have a superior sound quality over the S9?

Owning a Rane 57 currently, I'm leaning towards the MKII as I have no complaints with my Rane experience, but before I buy my next mixer I want to make sure I understand all the facts.

Any further insight on these two mixers would be greatly appreciated.
sumoJr 5:33 PM - 27 August, 2015
good points all around
I am seriously considering the S9 just to freshen things up as I have had Rane gear since the 54.

some gearwhore pick the s9 up and give us a hands on review
AKIEM 5:39 PM - 27 August, 2015
Quote:
Thank you AKIEM for creating this discussion.

I've been asking myself and other the same questions all of August.

yup - It would be good if someone who has a gear buying addiction and picked both up to come in here and give us a comparison...
sumoJr 5:59 PM - 27 August, 2015
someone call dragon, he buys everything
Rebelguy 10:13 PM - 27 August, 2015
I always thought the original 57 was okay sounding.
DJ Guayo 1:24 PM - 28 August, 2015
I switched from the pio 800 with SL3 to the Rane 62 a few years ago to reduce setup time and noticed an immediate improvement when i fired up the 62.
djcaba 2:53 PM - 28 August, 2015
Just get a cheap mixer (serato certified, otherwise get a serato or denon box), then get the ddj-sp1 or eait for the sp2 to be released... Q4 is around the corner in a month -- expect price drops on everything electronic
djcaba 2:56 PM - 28 August, 2015
Just wondering... Does anyone know if the S9 has dedicated Flip controls?? It would be ideal since it IS a scratch mixer (make a Flipped instrumental and scratch to 16bars then cue a Flipped chorus ... BOOM - dopeness ensues)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:00 PM - 28 August, 2015
Quote:

Me or Joee? LOL
sumoJr 12:35 AM - 29 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Me or Joee? LOL

both..
more reviews the better.
monchi 12:40 AM - 29 August, 2015
all videos are under 3 minutes. All you in here can push all them buttons for 4-5 hours continuosly.
Stop kidding yourselves and stick to a product that has GREAT intergrated parts made/built in U.S.A,, GREATER reliabilty (sound) and the GREATEST CUSTOMER SUPPORT.
S9 going to be built cheap just like the PLX. Profit > quality.
Youv'e all been warned.

MAKKE IT RANE on the S9
DJ GaFFle 12:44 AM - 29 August, 2015
Quote:
all videos are under 3 minutes. All you in here can push all them buttons for 4-5 hours continuosly.
Stop kidding yourselves and stick to a product that has GREAT intergrated parts made/built in U.S.A,, GREATER reliabilty (sound) and the GREATEST CUSTOMER SUPPORT.
Youv'e all been warned.

MAKKE IT RANE on the S9

My kind of guy...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:55 AM - 29 August, 2015
Quote:

MAKKE IT RANE on the S9

ha ha....
jevo9 6:30 AM - 29 August, 2015
rand top customer service.... seriously if you can go with the 57 mk2 and the s9.. I'm keeping my 62 because i know rane will hook it up every time.
DJ Jonasty 7:00 AM - 29 August, 2015
I'm still happy with the 62
DJ GaFFle 11:17 AM - 29 August, 2015
Quote:
rand top customer service.... seriously if you can go with the 57 mk2 and the s9.. I'm keeping my 62 because i know rane will hook it up every time.

Does the 57MkII work the Scratchlive?
SG SOUNDS 1:01 PM - 29 August, 2015
everybody always gets excited when new equipment comes out (human nature) including me but the fact is i dont care how pretty or promising the s9 looks if it dont match or sound better than the rane 62 sound quality or match the rane faders THIS MIXER AINT SHIT!! am looking foward to getting more details on the sound card and fader quality of the s9...
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:01 PM - 29 August, 2015
Quote:

Nope
SG SOUNDS 1:02 PM - 29 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

no
05spoof 4:18 PM - 29 August, 2015
Open up the footswitch and midi mapping and I'm happy with the mkII. I wonder if they could let me map the external flex fx buttons to be cue buttons. I really do miss the cue buttons from the sixty series.
Joee 4:19 PM - 29 August, 2015
Quote:
fader quality of the s9...

the fader felt very NICE!….smoother than the rane fader IMO….i love the fact you can adjust the tension with a switch that similar to the crossfader curve adjustment on the 62
Quote:
Me or Joee? LOL

i won't lie the s9 is calling me……lol, i'm sure you will have it well before i do
christ74100 6:09 PM - 7 September, 2015
The best is Z2, cutting crossfader perfect than 62 (problem left and right cross)and the price 525!!!! rane 62 when i bought 2000... pffffff quality German quality!!!!!
Sorry for my english...
05spoof 4:27 PM - 12 September, 2015
Watchwww.youtube.com

At 1:42 rep talks about magvel pro.

Looks like the fader in the SRT is same as the S9's just added bumpers and tension control.
PopRoXxX 5:53 PM - 12 September, 2015
Wow. So the S9 fader is the same as the RZ/SZ/SRT? I hope he's wrong, because that won't be good for Pioneer. I've broken multiple MAGVEL faders, but have never broke a Rane fader.
Djkom 6:13 PM - 12 September, 2015
I broke a Rane crossfader one time, and many times I have to clean and put some oil because they are getting rough and dusty
PopRoXxX 6:15 PM - 12 September, 2015
Dirty? Yes. Especially depending on the environments you play in. I've cleaned and lubed my Rane faders for years, but never actually broke one. Still have my OG 57 from 10+ years ago with the original faders all intact and working
AKIEM 6:20 PM - 12 September, 2015
I'm still using my 56 faders in my 57.
05spoof 3:02 PM - 13 September, 2015
I'm wondering whythe S9 couldn't go all magnetic. For a battle mixer in 2015 it should be expected.

The funny thing would be if the channels are magvel compatible. Maybe they are saving it for an R9 rebrand. lol
DJ GaFFle 6:21 PM - 13 September, 2015
Quote:
I'm wondering whythe S9 couldn't go all magnetic. For a battle mixer in 2015 it should be expected.

From above, Monchi answered this question...
Quote:
...Stop kidding yourselves and stick to a product that has GREAT intergrated parts made/built in U.S.A,, GREATER reliabilty (sound) and the GREATEST CUSTOMER SUPPORT.
Youv'e all been warned.

MAKKE IT RANE on the S9
05spoof 8:23 PM - 13 September, 2015
lol, it's the new gear amnesia.
Joshua Carl 2:27 AM - 14 September, 2015
Personally I don't think the mk2 is the head to head with the s9

I'd wait to maybe namm or something to see what else might be put out by other companies that might be more comparable
05spoof 12:53 PM - 14 September, 2015
Quote:
Personally I don't think the mk2 is the head to head with the s9

I'd wait to maybe namm or something to see what else might be put out by other companies that might be more comparable

You mean quality, feature, sound wise or that the S9's direct competition is the 62?

Denon?
Joshua Carl 3:54 PM - 15 September, 2015
No no.

While the 57II Is the newer model
I'd lean more to the 62 as a comparable unit.

So maybe we'll see something in the 62/64 department sometime soon
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:21 AM - 18 September, 2015
Pioneer DJM-S9 review (first impression) by djTLMtv

Watchwww.youtube.com
JDforKing 12:34 PM - 18 September, 2015
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Great review
nik39 7:02 PM - 18 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Great review

+1
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:28 PM - 18 September, 2015
I still want to know if you can use 1 effect on channel 1 and a different one on Chanel 2, like the old DJM909. I do not see a switch or a button.
05spoof 11:10 PM - 18 September, 2015
Pretty cool the pads can be used to control fx when using vinyl.
DJ Dynamight 12:48 AM - 19 September, 2015
Quote:
Pretty cool the pads can be used to control fx when using vinyl.

Word up!
dj_soo 6:09 AM - 19 September, 2015
hum. I wish the video had at least changed through the functions of the pads.

Haven't seen whether changing the group changes both sides at all times, or if you can change each side individually.
FighteRanger 8:04 AM - 19 September, 2015
Quote:
I still want to know if you can use 1 effect on channel 1 and a different one on Chanel 2, like the old DJM909. I do not see a switch or a button.

Just by the look of it, i dont think we can. But I could be wrong.
dj_soo 8:55 AM - 19 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

that would be such a dealbreaker for me.
Djkom 10:16 AM - 19 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

that would be such a dealbreaker for me.

Do you often use different effect at the same time on different channel ??? I'm curious to know what kind of tricks you do when doing that.
dj_soo 11:09 PM - 19 September, 2015
not super often, but sometimes I'll say run an acapella over an instrumental and apply effects like time stretch over the acapella while echoing out the instrumental at key moments.
monchi 11:35 PM - 19 September, 2015
So most on here are button pushers haters, yet S(uka)9 is coming out and suddenly button pushing is the new thing. I see clealry now.
DJ GaFFle 5:02 PM - 20 September, 2015
Quote:
So most on here are button pushers haters, yet S(uka)9 is coming out and suddenly button pushing is the new thing. I see clealry now.

I hear you but that S9's features do look nice and plenty useful. I'll wait for the Rane 62 MkII b4 I take the new mixer plunge.
WarpNote 5:25 PM - 20 September, 2015
Quote:
button pushers

The term is somewhat misleading IMO.
Originally I guess it meant DJs that only pushed buttons, the sync button mostly, and relying on quantize for "controllerist" routines.

However, as styles and techniques evolve, most open minded DJs can appreciate that nice things can be done with performance pads. Even the original 57 had buttons, so I really dont see the big issue. Jazzy Jeff, Q-Bert, Craze, Scratch Bastid, Z-Trip, etc, they all push buttons at times...
Will08272 5:29 PM - 20 September, 2015
Also wasn't the S9 created with some input from a couple of the DJ's who were in the promo video for it when it was first introduced, then you have a product like the dicers which that and the buttons on the 62 aided in making tone play a thing. New tools to add into the warchest for the current times.
Will08272 6:53 PM - 20 September, 2015
Watching the 3Style the mixer has gotten a crazy amount of exposure, almost everyone besides the contestants are using it, and on all the DJ's instagrams it's the product your seeing being used, and it was also the grand prize for the winner of the 3Style.
monchi 8:39 PM - 20 September, 2015
^^^ Who is a major sponsor Serato. Left Rane out in the cold. Never have they pushed a mixer so hard as this S(ucka)9. Suspetise.
Niro 8:47 PM - 20 September, 2015
It's funny how some people get stuck on the technical term, but forget real life meaning of the term. We get it, a turntable used with DVS is a controller...blah, blah. I'm super stoked to see the resurgence of skilled DJs being spotlighted.
nik39 11:19 PM - 20 September, 2015
Quote:
^^^ Who is a major sponsor Serato. Left Rane out in the cold. Never have they pushed a mixer so hard as this S(ucka)9. Suspetise.

What's weird.. I thought Rane sponsored the event too?
AKIEM 3:46 AM - 21 September, 2015
Rane/Serato: TTM57 = Flagship
Rane/Serato: 57MKII = Flagship
Jason S 12:21 PM - 21 September, 2015
DJ TLM has just posted this and it answers quite a few of the questions being asked..

youtu.be
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:58 PM - 21 September, 2015
posted above serato.com
Jason S 1:02 PM - 21 September, 2015
Quote:
posted above serato.com

it's a long thread, missed it :) Over excitement I guess...
Will08272 1:09 PM - 21 September, 2015
A bit off topic, but who started the 8 pads on DJ equipment phase, that was very forward thinking. It has become core on equipment releasing now and in software aswell, i think it is one of the reasons that this mixer is looking more attractive to user's over the other offered products out now. A sort of it just makes sense kind of thing happening subconsciously. I visualize the 909 and SP1 morphing together and birthing this mixer.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:43 PM - 21 September, 2015
Don't forget Rane was the OG with the TTM57 with built in cue points in 2006. Serato Itch came out in 2008 with the VCI300 controller and cue points.
Various controllers came out. Dicers came out 2010?. VCI380 came out early 2012 with the first 8 cue points/pad. Serato DJ & DDJSX in mid 2012, DDJ-SP1 in 2013. DJMS9 with be the first mixer with 8 placed pads per channel. It was the next step for Pioneer.
WarpNote 2:35 PM - 21 September, 2015
Quote:
A bit off topic, but who started the 8 pads on DJ equipment phase

I think its a direct evolvement from the mpc styled controllers with 16 pads.
As pretty much all dance music is based on a 4 by 4 rhytm structure...
WarpNote 2:38 PM - 21 September, 2015
Remind me again, Novation Twitch was out 2011 ?
dj_soo 12:55 AM - 22 September, 2015
Quote:
A bit off topic, but who started the 8 pads on DJ equipment phase, that was very forward thinking.

I believe it was the Novation Twitch that was the first DJ controller that did the 8 pads on either side. VCI-380 was the next and once the SX came out, it became the standard.
Will08272 1:44 AM - 22 September, 2015
Man the novation twitch when i first saw it was a cool piece of tech, that thing as a actual mixer with effects would be pretty awesome.
dj_soo 3:06 AM - 22 September, 2015
would have been kind of cool to use it as an add-on to a set of decks too - like an SP1
dj_soo 3:08 AM - 22 September, 2015
actually, I believe the VCI-400 came out with 8 buttons as well. Not sure if that came out before the Twitch or not, but they both released in '11
MPC O.G. 12:27 PM - 22 September, 2015
Will08272 12:42 PM - 22 September, 2015

Damn so this layed the foundation sort of, i wonder during the time that device was being made what other people were thinking at that time, amazing to see these things. Thanks for posting this.
MPC O.G. 12:46 PM - 22 September, 2015
You're welcome. Some things are just too far ahead of their time. When N.I. gets Maschine integrated into TSP we will see a mixer like this again.
AKIEM 5:05 PM - 22 September, 2015
Wow, never seen that before.
Tried to watch the whole video but that hi pitch...
Rebelguy 5:43 PM - 22 September, 2015
Quote:
Don't forget Rane was the OG with the TTM57 with built in cue points in 2006.

Allen & Heath had the Xone 3D which was released in 2006 as well.
DJ Quartz 7:32 PM - 22 September, 2015
S9 for the price range and feature set I have to say.
Djkom 9:44 AM - 23 September, 2015
Beware!!! Explicit content in the link :) :) :)

Watchwww.youtube.com

#DjPorn #PioneerGangBang #Djms9Hoes
desmorider 12:52 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:

So what is considered a good price for the s9?
sweetL 1:57 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Looks like the fader in the SRT is same as the S9's just added bumpers and tension control.

No that's not correct.

The Magvel PRO is in the S9 and the RZ, the magvel (an earlier revision) is in the SRT and SZ.

I got to bpm and spent some time with this mixer, having previously decided upon a rane 62. Warm up on the fader, and straight away, i can tell you that this will be the mixer i'll be buying, because the fader *cough* is nicer than the fader on the 62 and my 57.

I don't know precisely what's different, the cut in doesn't seem any sharper, but it moves so precise, and the feel adjust is the bomb - i can crab scratch hamster style til the cows come home, but i've always avoided that because all my other scratches are traditional. I found myself being able to crab scratch on the s9 (all four clicks sounding distinct) with the fader in traditional position.

I know that doesn't mean much to you all, but to me, it sold me - so i'd just suggest that you go to a show and play with one.

One criticism - fx don't tail off nicely when you switch on-board fx say from reverb to echo, it just cuts the tail of the previous effect.

I didn't check if serato fx were post fader.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:27 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Beware!!! Explicit content in the link :) :) :)

Watchwww.youtube.com

#DjPorn #PioneerGangBang #Djms9Hoes

Pdiddy's youtube channel? lol

You got the s9? LOL
 6 4:45 PM - 23 September, 2015
So the Rane 57II still has some bugs that have not been corrected. At this point, the pioneer wins.

nm
Joee 4:48 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

So what is considered a good price for the s9?

around $1,300…..but i haven't aggressively price shopped or haggled to know if there better pricing
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:51 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
So the Rane 57II still has some bugs that have not been corrected.

What bugs are you having issue with?
AKIEM 4:52 PM - 23 September, 2015
I've seen MKIIs getting that low. Glad I waited, because it would have been cold and boxed to this day.
 6 5:32 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
So the Rane 57II still has some bugs that have not been corrected.

What bugs are you having issue with?

The biggest one is the headphone cue echo. It's still there after 3 updates?

nm
sweetL 5:45 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
So the Rane 57II still has some bugs that have not been corrected. At this point, the pioneer wins.

nm

You're still here! Looking for any active old regulars... Not seeing many
 6 5:48 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:

There are quite a few actually... but the main areas of the forum are "dead" in comparison to the old days so they don't post often - though they do check the forum.

DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:59 PM - 23 September, 2015
6, i cant find that headphone echo issue thread.
I am playing with my mkii now and i dont know what i am looking or listening for? LOL
Will08272 6:43 PM - 23 September, 2015
Haven't used the 57MKII but it could be that he is just nicely preemptively saying that the S9 could be a better product in comparision to the 57MKII, beside my clear excitement for the S9, it would be nice to see what the 62 MKII brings to the table if and when it is shown.
nik39 8:14 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:

nm

This signature... LOL! :)
DJ Dynamight 8:16 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
I am playing with my mkii now and i dont know what i am looking or listening for? LOL

dj.rane.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:33 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

dj.rane.com

oh wow now I hear it.
It only happens when Serato is running and using cue and mix at the same time.
I have never really mixed in the headphones or used split cue. I'm always panned to Cue.
But yeah, the echo is there. How weird.
 6 8:47 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

dj.rane.com

oh wow now I hear it.
It only happens when Serato is running and using cue and mix at the same time.
I have never really mixed in the headphones or used split cue. I'm always panned to Cue.
But yeah, the echo is there. How weird.

Now... it hasn't been fixed.

Why? Software or hardware? If it's hardware related. Ouch

nm
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:55 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:

I do not think it is a hardware issue. I was also using real vinyl. If SDJ is not running, I do not hear the echo. When I start SDJ then the echo starts. It was suggested to uncheck the USB insert in the Rane Panel and it worked, temporary solution, but you cannot use the Serato FX.

Serato DJ is somehow causing it to echo...
 6 8:56 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I do not think it is a hardware issue. I was also using real vinyl. If SDJ is not running, I do not hear the echo. When I start SDJ then the echo starts. It was suggested to uncheck the USB insert in the Rane Panel and it worked, temporary solution, but you cannot use the Serato FX.

Oh okay.

nm
CMOS 9:13 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh okay.

nm

I bet when SDJ is running, they route the cue through the software somehow so you can hear the effects in the headphones. Turning off send/receive probably stops that routing.
 6 9:25 PM - 23 September, 2015
and that's why there's that slight delay....

nm
dj_soo 4:56 AM - 24 September, 2015
Quote:
I got to bpm and spent some time with this mixer

one thing I still haven't gotten an answer on: when you switch pad functions (like from cue to slicer to loop roll etc), does it switch it for both sides, or can you switch each side independently. From the pics, there's only one set of controls instead of a set for each side like you would see in controllers.
nik39 5:02 AM - 24 September, 2015
Quote:
and that's why there's that slight delay....

nm

Correct. I think Rane somewhere confirmed that the delay compensation is not working correctly, but they are working on a fix.
sweetL 10:45 AM - 24 September, 2015
Quote:

Another one!! Woooo
nik39 11:41 AM - 24 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Another one!! Woooo

Steve... Wow! Long time no hear... Erm.. Read ;)

Hope you're good!!
Cuervo 2:33 PM - 24 September, 2015
No beat jump dedicated buttons?
What about flip buttons or beatgrids edit?
Rebelguy 2:43 PM - 24 September, 2015
Quote:

So basically you need a mixer that looks like this...

lividinstruments.com
sweetL 3:00 PM - 24 September, 2015
Quote:

... is this referencing the johnny m battle from way back when?
Cuervo 3:13 PM - 24 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

So basically you need a mixer that looks like this...

lividinstruments.com

Sweet!

I want it...
 6 7:17 PM - 24 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

... is this referencing the johnny m battle from way back when?

Yup. He's still hurt about it. lol

nm
4mydawgz 2:48 AM - 25 September, 2015
i dont know how you can give the s9 the crown when only limited dj's have used it. and i'm sure the ones they were given were fined tuned for peak performance. as for now only thing were can compare are features.
Djkom 7:16 AM - 25 September, 2015
Quote:
i dont know how you can give the s9 the crown when only limited dj's have used it. and i'm sure the ones they were given were fined tuned for peak performance. as for now only thing were can compare are features.

And the S9's features are not good enough compared to the 57mk2 ??? I don't need famous dj demos to make my own opinion on this mixer. I can say with no doubt that this S9 IS curently the best designed scratch mixer for Serato.

So I'm interested to know in which area you think the S9 is bad or less performant...

The only thing i miss in this mixer is the sound color fx buttons, I don't care about dedicated Serato FX buttons since the hardware FX are sufficent for me...so I hope we can remap them. I heard that in SDJ 1.8.0 we can remap ALL Serato supported hardware buttons, so it should be no problem...
I'm wondering also that would the next Pioneer Rekordbox mixer looks like because it's obvious Pioneer will launch one when the DVS pack will be available! The feature I found very crasy is the Sequencer (like Serato flip but way better) , it ´s like we have a groove station tool inside the software! It allows to create live music like with Maschine/Komplete, it will be lot of fun for sure !!!
AKIEM 5:53 PM - 25 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

And the S9's features are not good enough compared to the 57mk2 ??? I don't need famous dj demos to make my own opinion on this mixer. I can say with no doubt that this S9 IS curently the best designed scratch mixer for Serato.

So I'm interested to know in which area you think the S9 is bad or less performant...

The only thing i miss in this mixer is the sound color fx buttons, I don't care about dedicated Serato FX buttons since the hardware FX are sufficent for me...so I hope we can remap them. I heard that in SDJ 1.8.0 we can remap ALL Serato supported hardware buttons, so it should be no problem...
I'm wondering also that would the next Pioneer Rekordbox mixer looks like because it's obvious Pioneer will launch one when the DVS pack will be available! The feature I found very crasy is the Sequencer (like Serato flip but way better) , it ´s like we have a groove station tool inside the software! It allows to create live music like with Maschine/Komplete, it will be lot of fun for sure !!!

Where did you hear that?
Will08272 6:02 PM - 25 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Where did you hear that?

Mentioning would be a violation of terms of agreement but where else would such clauses be placed when it comes to software.
AKIEM 6:09 PM - 25 September, 2015
Pillow talk?

lol
Will08272 6:45 PM - 25 September, 2015
Think of the rankings in wolf packs. As a sidenote there is a level of thrill in being cryptic for some reason which is a dangerous and weird line for us human creatures. Helps with the question of alot of esoteric things that happen.
AKIEM 7:03 PM - 25 September, 2015
yeah - I used to be a member / but wouldnt upgrade to sdj
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:27 PM - 25 September, 2015
Quote:
yeah - I used to be a member / but wouldnt upgrade to sdj

but you upgraded your avatar to the mkii LOL :P

you know you wanna upgrade!! :)
AKIEM 10:28 PM - 25 September, 2015
Yeah, my avatar is focused on why I wont buy it yet. I can't use it till MIDI is opened up. It would seriously be sitting cold on the shelf.

I waited through the 60s because I didn't like the features. I was resigned to go ahead and get one when the MKII was announced.

Rane 57MKII, from what I can tell was designed near perfect. I'm convinced they listened to all the reasons I didn't like the 60s, then went back and read all the complaints and suggestions I had for the TTM to make the MKII. The one fatal flaw being unable to assign the MIDI section.

went and got a Akai AMX just to *play around with SDJ.

1.8 any day now...
4mydawgz 2:04 AM - 30 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Features are great but we can never judge solely based on features alone or the 3DO would've killed the PS1. Traktor would be beating out Serato. To some basic is better. There has to be some real world everyday use of the s9 to really say if it's the best. My main concern is pioneer is pushing rekordbox as competition to serato DJ. Does the s9 work with rekordbox? How good is the functionality with Serato from a company focusing on developing the competition?
djvtyme85 3:32 PM - 30 September, 2015
i'm sure the s9 will work with RB why wouldn't it the djm 900srt does
Will08272 3:17 PM - 8 October, 2015
For anyone that has the mixer already is it possible to have different pad modes for each channel or one for both at a time, Gracias.
PopRoXxX 6:03 PM - 8 October, 2015
It's both at the same time. No separate pad modes
Will08272 6:07 PM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:

Damn Thats a fail, im sure this can be added view a firmware update but still. Thanks for the answer though family.
DJMello 6:14 PM - 8 October, 2015
There also seems to be an issue with the fader cut lag settings being saved when the laptop is connected/disconnected. With the laptop connected there is a 4mm gap before the opposite channel cuts in. It can be corrected in the software, but the settings don't save when the laptop is connected again.

forums.pioneerdj.com
PopRoXxX 6:16 PM - 8 October, 2015
I don't see a firmware update for this, seeing the actual physical hardware limitation where there is only one (set of) button(s) that controls both pad sets simultaneously. Unlike the controllers where each side has their own pad mode buttons
PopRoXxX 6:17 PM - 8 October, 2015
And don't forget about the "4-deck control" as well. You can "have" 4 decks, but only 2 decks will play/work simultaneously. Not 4
DJ Dynamight 7:49 PM - 8 October, 2015
have y'all peeped this Watchwww.youtube.com
dj_soo 9:44 PM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Damn Thats a fail, im sure this can be added view a firmware update but still. Thanks for the answer though family.

Finally, an answer to this question.

Huge fail on pioneer's part.
Djkom 5:26 AM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Finally, an answer to this question.

Huge fail on pioneer's part.

So the Rane 62 is also a big fail, isn't it ???
The big difference with the djm s9 is there is a third layet where you can map any function you want so it can fix any annoying switching...
Moreover I cannot see a real need of having different pad modes for each deck atthe same time (which will involve even more buttons) except the combo sampler + hotcue. It's a scratch mixer not a mixer for mad push button Djs...
dj_soo 11:10 AM - 9 October, 2015
the difference with the 62 is you get dedicated controls for loops and loop roll so you can use cues and loops independently for each channel.

Every single controller that has adopted the 8-pad per side control system also allows for independent control per channel.

It's a glaring oversight that didn't need to happen.
Will08272 1:45 PM - 9 October, 2015
Looking at a picture of the mixer again, unless it wasn't possible, a third row under the pad mode buttons could have been added there is space on the face of the mixer above the level LED's for them, hold on the corresponding channel side's button then select the pad mode for that side. Not sure if SDJ allows that function to be mappable but maybe with the 1.8 update and the hardware mapping being opened up it could be possible to accomplish this.
Robbie O 2:28 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
he difference with the 62 is you get dedicated controls for loops and loop roll so you can use cues and loops independently for each channel.

I was almost with you, but the S9 has a dedicated Loop (not loop roll thou) buttons up top on each side. If it didn't, it would be a big fail. It would be nice to have different effects on each side, but if I'm honest I never do that in my current DJ workflow. If I used loop roll more to transition, then I'd be pissed, cause I could see wanting to roll on one side while hot cueing on the other.
PopRoXxX 4:44 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
I was almost with you, but the S9 has a dedicated Loop (not loop roll thou) buttons up top on each side.

Don't forget Pioneer's fail here too. Where the 'loop' button is not a normal "auto loop" button like on EVERY other controller they make. The S9 'loop' button is only a 4 beat auto loop button. So every single time you want a different size loop: You have to hit the 4 beat auto loop button and then 1/2 or double the loop single/multiple times to get what you want to happen before you can do anything else. Big oversight there as well. smh
Robbie O 4:55 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I was almost with you, but the S9 has a dedicated Loop (not loop roll thou) buttons up top on each side.

Don't forget Pioneer's fail here too. Where the 'loop' button is not a normal "auto loop" button like on EVERY other controller they make. The S9 'loop' button is only a 4 beat auto loop button. So every single time you want a different size loop: You have to hit the 4 beat auto loop button and then 1/2 or double the loop single/multiple times to get what you want to happen before you can do anything else. Big oversight there as well. smh

Man, maybe I have basic needs lol. I think "big fail" is a strecth. If I do a loop its 99% of the time its 4 beat. The only time I would want it lower would be to start at 4 and then 1/2 it multiple times to create a build up....

Is the nit picking really a passive aggressive way to to justify not buying this mixer 😅😂😂😂😂😭😭

To focus on the 1% scenario, seems odd to me
PopRoXxX 5:03 PM - 9 October, 2015
1%? That makes me LMAO!

I use anywhere from 1 beat loops to 16 beat loops 20 or more times in a set. Hahahahaha!!!
Robbie O 5:16 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
1%? That makes me LMAO!

I use anywhere from 1 beat loops to 16 beat loops 20 or more times in a set. Hahahahaha!!!

So..... To get the 1 beat or 16beat do you not have to modify that in the software before pressing a button? Let's not make a mountain out of mole hill here.
To be fair, I could easily see them enabling the hard coded 4beat to be adjustable (it might already have that option in the software). It just weirds me out seeing words like "deal breakers" and "Big Fail". Really?
PopRoXxX 5:19 PM - 9 October, 2015
It is though. Constantly switching loop values when scratching/mixing = too much room for error and mess-ups in the mix. And that is a deal breaker and big fail ....... for me. You can have all that fun of doubling and halfing. lol
Robbie O 5:24 PM - 9 October, 2015
****White Flag****
Lol. Hey I feel you. We are wasting our time arguing about it before we can't truly test it. I see what you're saying, but for me it's not a deal breaker. I think the reality is each DJ develops their workflow based on whatever they started with or currently uses. Each piece of gear forces you to adapt a little. If this forces you to adapt too much, then I guess it's not for you.
PopRoXxX 5:27 PM - 9 October, 2015
There you go! Word
dj_soo 6:19 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

It's super annoying on the sz and will be super annoying here. They should have stuck with a knob like on the sp1.

It's especially annoying if you use the beat jump controls because since the auto loop and loop roll share the same controls, if you want to use both, you have to jump between like a 1/16 - 1/2 beat focus to a 1 - 16 beat focus which is a pain with buttons. A little easier with a knob.

Basically I was hoping this would be the mixer that let me ditch all extra controllers but it isn't.
Djkom 6:24 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Ok so either you are a robot dj who have a quick ram memory to trigger any loop size by remembering your last loop size without looking at the computer screen, or either you're comfortable in your routines that looking each time the computer screen to see all current settings is not cumbersome for you...

When triggering that is really called LOOP (remember that a music is composed in generally in 4 beats) it is "normal" to have by default this 4 beats length. Any loops below 2 beats length are more like tricks than loops!

So for me the S9 loop mode is the best! If a 2 beats (or above) loop is needed this mixer allows to set it quickly WITHOUT looking at the screen!!! Focus on the decks and mixer instead of being a computer scientist!

Who here has never trigger the wrong loop size because of this auto loop size based of the current loop length?
PopRoXxX 6:34 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
this mixer allows to set it quickly WITHOUT looking at the screen!!!

This is a very good (and valid point). I have to agree to this!
AKIEM 6:38 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
this mixer allows to set it quickly WITHOUT looking at the screen!!!

This is a very good (and valid point). I have to agree to this!

+1
Djkom 6:39 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's super annoying on the sz and will be super annoying here. They should have stuck with a knob like on the sp1.

It's especially annoying if you use the beat jump controls because since the auto loop and loop roll share the same controls, if you want to use both, you have to jump between like a 1/16 - 1/2 beat focus to a 1 - 16 beat focus which is a pain with buttons. A little easier with a knob.

Basically I was hoping this would be the mixer that let me ditch all extra controllers but it isn't.

Ok i could agree a knob is better to control loop size but if look at the mixer layout, where would you out this knob AND the in an out buttons for the manual loops???

In fact, I thought like you guys before, I was suprized by this changes compared to the current hardwares but the more I look the mixer the more I think it is really well designed and suit the dj worklfows...
Djkom 6:42 PM - 9 October, 2015
I mean "put this knob" instead of "out this knob" ;-)
dj_soo 12:09 AM - 10 October, 2015
change the 2x/.5x buttons to in/outs and move it down a hair. replace the auto loop button into a knob/button combo.
DJ Remy USA 2:15 AM - 10 October, 2015
Quote:
the difference with the 62 is you get dedicated controls for loops and loop roll so you can use cues and loops independently for each channel.

Every single controller that has adopted the 8-pad per side control system also allows for independent control per channel.

It's a glaring oversight that didn't need to happen.

that will be DJM S9 MK2..LOL
05spoof 2:15 PM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

No that's not correct.

The Magvel PRO is in the S9 and the RZ, the magvel (an earlier revision) is in the SRT and SZ.

I got to bpm and spent some time with this mixer, having previously decided upon a rane 62. Warm up on the fader, and straight away, i can tell you that this will be the mixer i'll be buying, because the fader *cough* is nicer than the fader on the 62 and my 57.

I don't know precisely what's different, the cut in doesn't seem any sharper, but it moves so precise, and the feel adjust is the bomb - i can crab scratch hamster style til the cows come home, but i've always avoided that because all my other scratches are traditional. I found myself being able to crab scratch on the s9 (all four clicks sounding distinct) with the fader in traditional position.

Probably has to do with the bumpers giving that rebound effect. I agree that the tension control is nice. Some cuts at a fast pace need a slight tension for consistent timing.
PopRoXxX 6:48 PM - 22 October, 2015
They added tension control to their magvel fader on the SZ too. But for some reason people didn't see the need to talk so much about it. Years later everyone is like "this is SO new - I need this NOW", when it's not new anymore. LOL!!!!
Niro 8:06 PM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:
They added tension control to their magvel fader on the SZ too. But for some reason people didn't see the need to talk so much about it. Years later everyone is like "this is SO new - I need this NOW", when it's not new anymore. LOL!!!!

And all of a sudden, SDJ works flawlessly. :)
PopRoXxX 8:18 PM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

And all of a sudden, SDJ works flawlessly. :)

OMG yes!! Everyone who said they'd never switch to SDJ from SSL is all of sudden switching cause Pioneer said to. smh
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:42 PM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:

OMG yes!! Everyone who said they'd never switch to SDJ from SSL is all of sudden switching cause Pioneer said to. smh

lol so true

I made the switch as soon as SDJ was released. #rebelwithoutacause
DJ Remy USA 5:51 AM - 23 October, 2015
i hate sdj stilllllllllll
desmorider 11:35 AM - 23 October, 2015
Nice review. Showing the faders off a little. Hope you speak french.

Watchwww.youtube.com
MelonHead 6:11 PM - 1 November, 2015
bought the S9 last Thursday and used it that evening, Friday and last night at my norm gigs and to be honest there really isn't much negative to say. Any DJ, tablist or not would appreciate the features and performance of this thing. A few things I thought were nice.. tention adjustment for the xfader, those big effects levers.. took a sec getting used to but once I got the hang of it they were nice. Big pads were nice. The mic's independent echo adjustment plus the talk over switch was nice too. Pioneer also added the ability to adjust the gap silence on the xfader.. that ability is golden to me (look mommy I can twiddle lol) As far as how its built, its solid all around. The pots feels tight and stable (unlike my 62 where some pots shakes.. feeling cheap.. even dropping channel volume at random times). The caps and knobs are tight and secure also (the knobs on the front side of my 62 somehow someway came off and was lost within a few weeks) The finish on the S9 is also very nice. Slightly concerned with the glossy black finish plexiglass on the top half but only time will tell how that holds up. As for its sound quality, oh its quality. Very clean, very clear.

A couple of minors missing or should've been added on the S9.. illumination on the load/instant double button (hard to see in dark booths looking for that small button) and displaying the active bank on the mixer's display rather than opening the SP-6 banks on SDJ taking up valuable screen real estate. Again these are very minor and far from being deal breaker

I do not do video

So far I'm happy with the DJM-S9. A few kinks on the software side of things but I'm sure those will get sorted out in future updates
desmorider 8:23 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
bought the S9 last Thursday and used it that evening, Friday and last night at my norm gigs and to be honest there really isn't much negative to say. Any DJ, tablist or not would appreciate the features and performance of this thing. A few things I thought were nice.. tention adjustment for the xfader, those big effects levers.. took a sec getting used to but once I got the hang of it they were nice. Big pads were nice. The mic's independent echo adjustment plus the talk over switch was nice too. Pioneer also added the ability to adjust the gap silence on the xfader.. that ability is golden to me (look mommy I can twiddle lol) As far as how its built, its solid all around. The pots feels tight and stable (unlike my 62 where some pots shakes.. feeling cheap.. even dropping channel volume at random times). The caps and knobs are tight and secure also (the knobs on the front side of my 62 somehow someway came off and was lost within a few weeks) The finish on the S9 is also very nice. Slightly concerned with the glossy black finish plexiglass on the top half but only time will tell how that holds up. As for its sound quality, oh its quality. Very clean, very clear.

A couple of minors missing or should've been added on the S9.. illumination on the load/instant double button (hard to see in dark booths looking for that small button) and displaying the active bank on the mixer's display rather than opening the SP-6 banks on SDJ taking up valuable screen real estate. Again these are very minor and far from being deal breaker

I do not do video

So far I'm happy with the DJM-S9. A few kinks on the software side of things but I'm sure those will get sorted out in future updates

Good info above. Did you purchase from GC? Does it fit in the same case as your 62, or is new case needed?
MelonHead 10:48 PM - 1 November, 2015
It fits perfect with the same case I used with the 62 and just to be safe, I'd rather not disclose where I bought it from as I've read somewhere that the S9's aren't even suppose to be sold?? not sure if there's any truth to that but..
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:00 PM - 1 November, 2015
S9 are available at my local GC in Maryland. Saw 5 on their showroom floor.
Joee 11:07 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:

stay focused ,you don't need the s9…..you need those 8's

:)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:45 PM - 1 November, 2015
Quote:
stay focused ,you don't need the s9…..you need those 8's

I'll get both ;)
Joee 11:48 PM - 1 November, 2015
you right…….haha
@DjEloThePrince 1:42 AM - 2 November, 2015
Here's a pretty decent review of the S9. Thinking of adding it in addition to my 57mkii.
youtu.be
DJ Michael Basic 8:46 PM - 3 November, 2015
Now that midi mapping is out, as someone who has used the original 57 since the day it was released, I'm really happy with the mkII.
AKIEM 9:04 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
Now that midi mapping is out, as someone who has used the original 57 since the day it was released, I'm really happy with the mkII.

ordering today....
{fucking finally}
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:14 PM - 3 November, 2015
mkiii is coming out next month.....
<runs and hide>
Frankie Glasses 10:38 PM - 3 November, 2015
got my S9 from Southern Cal GC. Mixer is dope. Only complaint is no split cue.
AKIEM 10:54 PM - 3 November, 2015
Quote:
mkiii is coming out next month.....
<runs and hide>

lol!
desmorider 12:25 AM - 4 November, 2015
Guy picking my basically new 57mkii tomorrow for $1250. Had a hard time selling that thing?
monchi 1:41 AM - 4 November, 2015
Well of all the damn vídeos I have seen of DJs cutting on the S(ucka) 9, none are really using the buttons just the damn crossfader.
Oh and the pics on instagram/facebook of the S(ucka)9 with the pretty lights on , but no video of how much better this mixer makes them . SMH
So how is this so much better than the 57MK2 or the Rane 62?
monchi 2:14 AM - 4 November, 2015
Oh and paint already coming off, wait till users actually start using them nice buttons. Check back later I will be here. ;)
DJ Jonasty 4:33 AM - 4 November, 2015
Rane FTW
PopRoXxX 3:53 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
Rane FTW

All day
DJ Tracktion 4:46 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
Oh and paint already coming off, wait till users actually start using them nice buttons. Check back later I will be here. ;)

I love Rane stuff (have 2 57's still) and use the 62 almost weekly but the buttons on the 62 don't last either sooo...S9 has better pads, whether they last forever or not cause the 62's certainly don't.

Quote:
So how is this so much better than the 57MK2

Because they designed a mixer that actually maximizes the advantages of the software it was made for. Just having enough buttons to control the cues on both decks is huge imo. IDK why they went with the number of pads they did on the 57II. If everything else is close to equal I give the nod to the S9 just on that.

I do prefer Rane build quality and customer support is top of the industry.
Djaward 6:21 PM - 4 November, 2015
I cant wait to purchase the S9.. Right now Im running the SRT 900 with the SP1 controller.

Before I bought the SRT, I wanted a mixer where I didnt have to use an controller with

and I wanted mixer where I can control all effex without having to touch my computer.

First purchase was the Rane 62. After playing with the 62, I felt like the mixer was

missing something. Not enough cue slots and the built in FX werent that great (compared

to the SRT). I ended up returning the 62 after 2 weeks and purchased the SRT and the SP1.

Best combo ever.

Pioneer now eleased the S9, this thing has everything I want in a mixer and I dont need

an extra controller. The SRT with be my stay home/Club mixer and the S9 will be my mobile mixer.

Some might disagree with me and thats ok, but this works for me.
AKIEM 6:35 PM - 4 November, 2015
.....shipping....
Mr. Goodkat 6:51 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
Not enough cue slots and the built in FX werent that great (compared

to the SRT). I ended up returning the 62 after 2 weeks and purchased the SRT and the SP1.

im goin back an forth on the srt. s9 is ill no doubt, but not sure i can leave all those efx.

serato efx are pointless, id rather have the color efx of pioneer.
WarpNote 7:18 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
serato efx are pointless

Not so sure I agree on this one. Been looking through all the isotope expansions lately, found some new favourites to be honest. But yeah, Im also holding onto both my 900SRT and 62 for now. I'll demo the S9 soon enough, but I'm not gonna be an early adopter this time around.... ;-)
PopRoXxX 7:34 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
serato efx are pointless

I have to disagree here as well. I use them and they work well.

I haven't liked Pioneer's stock FX in their hardware since the old 800. They changed them for the worse in 900 series and after IMO
Mr. Goodkat 10:22 PM - 4 November, 2015
we all know how much you hate djm 900s poproxxx and seemingly pioneer in general.

to me its just more taxing on SDJ so i'd rather not even use them, since the pioneer are post fader and have much greater range.
PopRoXxX 10:35 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
we all know how much you hate djm 900s poproxxx and seemingly pioneer in general.

Yeah. Used to play on their gear by choice back in the day. But the cheaper the makes get while paying top dollar doesn't interest me anymore. Now I play on Pioneer at most of my gigs, but not by choice. Lol

Quote:
its just more taxing on SDJ

Yeah. I can see it eating resources on older machines.

Quote:
since the pioneer are post fader and have much greater range.

SDJ FX are post fader too. If the hardware has post fader capabilities. Have you tried the different knob modes? Ultra knob vs Mulit knob?
desmorider 2:29 PM - 6 November, 2015
Did everyone get marbled purple vinyls with their. The ones that came with my mixer seem warped on the a side. The b side is good to go. Both of them have bad a sides.
Niro 5:50 PM - 6 November, 2015
A record can't be warped just one side. It's probably cupped and one sude feels better than the other. Most if the time, yiu can continually bend the record it will get better. Goid luck.
Frankie Glasses 6:39 PM - 6 November, 2015
I got blacks with mine
desmorider 6:50 PM - 6 November, 2015
Quote:
A record can't be warped just one side. It's probably cupped and one sude feels better than the other. Most if the time, yiu can continually bend the record it will get better. Goid luck.

Warped, cupped, whatever, the shit will hardly spin on the a side, like as in not getting any traction, and needle bounces. If i hold the vinyl stopped and let it loose it takes forever to get up to speed. I will just use the b side, or use other vinyls
AKIEM 6:55 PM - 6 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Warped, cupped, whatever, the shit will hardly spin on the a side, like as in not getting any traction, and needle bounces. If i hold the vinyl stopped and let it loose it takes forever to get up to speed. I will just use the b side, or use other vinyls

Don't throw em away - ill take those
Niro 8:01 PM - 6 November, 2015
Holy smokes, just saw all of the mispelled words in my last post. Lol. Your records are cupped, bend them back and forth and eventually they will go back to it's original shape.
desmorider 9:04 PM - 6 November, 2015
Quote:
Holy smokes, just saw all of the mispelled words in my last post. Lol. Your records are cupped, bend them back and forth and eventually they will go back to it's original shape.

Haha. We really need the edit button here.
DJBlisk 10:55 PM - 8 November, 2015
Why not just get both?
DJBlisk 10:55 PM - 8 November, 2015
You got a group touting the S9 because they want it and another group hating on it cuz they can't buy one.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:05 PM - 8 November, 2015
lol

One real reason why i have not bought one yet ;)
serato.com
monchi 12:59 AM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
Youv'e all been warned.

MAKKE IT RANE on the S9
DJBlisk 6:34 AM - 9 November, 2015
You guys know Rane faders snap right?

I've had friends who fucked up their buttons in the 62, snapped cross faders etc.

Jeezus
WarpNote 7:54 AM - 9 November, 2015
Wouldn't an addon faceplate remedy the paint issue? -> www.12inchskinz.com
DJ Tracktion 4:18 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
Wouldn't an addon faceplate remedy the paint issue? -> www.12inchskinz.com

Yeah but I think for that type of money you shouldn't have to buy something additional to keep it from easily chipping.
WarpNote 9:30 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
Yeah but I think for that type of money you shouldn't have to buy something additional to keep it from easily chipping.

Agreed, my only reason for posting that comment, was to remind people about some sort of remedy, not saying that its ok that the paint chips. That being said, I don't have any problems with paint chipping on my 900 SRT....
desmorider 5:56 PM - 10 November, 2015
Djease giving the s9 a workout. The last minute of this video=dopeness.

Watchwww.youtube.com
djvtyme85 7:43 PM - 10 November, 2015
Quote:

which GC? I live in Maryland didn't see it in Rockville
DJ Guayo 7:46 PM - 10 November, 2015
I've seen them here in Houston (Heights) GC. Although I didnt see a display model out, only the stacks of S9 mixers.
desmorider 7:56 PM - 10 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Rockville is showing available to pickup now. Are you looking to just lay hands on 1, or to purchase? Falls church, and fairfax also show in stock. Just ask to see it.
desmorider 7:58 PM - 10 November, 2015
Glen burnie and towson also show in stock.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:15 PM - 10 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

This was almost two weeks ago and maybe they sold out.
JD WAS. 8:44 PM - 10 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This was almost two weeks ago and maybe they sold out.

None in stock butt they have one on display in Rockville was on there on 11-7-15
DJBlisk 4:06 PM - 14 November, 2015
Here is some dumb shit for the S9. Not a big deal but jeezus.

They only give you one USB cord. One!!!!
Mighty Dragon Sounds 8:25 PM - 14 November, 2015
I have the 57MK2 now..... Purchasing the S9 soon..... Haven't decided which one to keep at home and which one to take out and club with.
desmorider 8:40 PM - 14 November, 2015
Quote:

And. What's your point? My 57mkii and my sixty-two came with one USB cord.
I am having problems with the paint around the crossfader on my new S9. If anyone is in the market for one, they should probably wait until this is sorted out.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 8:50 PM - 14 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I am having problems with the paint around the crossfader on my new S9. If anyone is in the market for one, they should probably wait until this is sorted out.

Rane seems to be the only one that doesn't seem to fade with use.... All other mixers start to fade in the cross fader section through us.
 6 9:00 PM - 14 November, 2015
My Rane 64 came with 2 USB cords... have I used both? No. :P

nm
DJBlisk 12:44 AM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

My old 62 came with two as well.

The S9 is light years ahead of the 62.

And if you don't want to buy a product for some paint. Put a 12inch skin on it.
SG SOUNDS 1:06 AM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

light years ahead of the 62? i dont think so..
DJBlisk 1:15 AM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

light years ahead of the 62? i dont think so..

Just my opinion. I've had both. Everything is so much easier on the S9. The loading of tracks but hitting the load button is dumb though.

It feels solid. A lot more solid than the 62. Yes... even the fader.
 6 1:54 AM - 15 November, 2015
Well, the S9 is actually ahead of the 62 by a few years since one is older than the other. lol

nm
desmorider 2:01 AM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Should you have to paint a fading hood on a new Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc, etc? You shouldn't have to spend extra money to protect the paint on a mixer at this price point. I would expect that shit, and not be upset if it were a $100 mixer. It's not like it's taking 6 months or a year for the problem, some people are seeing the problem after like 3 days.
MPC O.G. 4:53 AM - 15 November, 2015
AND the fader is SHIT.....
DJ Jonasty 11:19 AM - 15 November, 2015
So happy with the 62. For some reason I have No desire for the Pioneer. Also I don't see the need for 8 pads everywhere. Punters don't need to hear us slicing and beat rolling every song. Plus my 62 still looks brand new 3 years down the line.
DJ Remy USA 3:18 PM - 16 November, 2015
Quote:
So happy with the 62. For some reason I have No desire for the Pioneer. Also I don't see the need for 8 pads everywhere. Punters don't need to hear us slicing and beat rolling every song. Plus my 62 still looks brand new 3 years down the line.

This is what Ive been saying, all this technology is dope af. However the crowd just wants you to play the damn song, you can give it some flare here and there so its interesting but you cant spend much time adding fx, slicing stuff up all night you will ruin the vibe unfortunately this tech is really only cool to us.
DJBlisk 4:34 PM - 16 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

This is what Ive been saying, all this technology is dope af. However the crowd just wants you to play the damn song, you can give it some flare here and there so its interesting but you cant spend much time adding fx, slicing stuff up all night you will ruin the vibe unfortunately this tech is really only cool to us.

Then why are you on a 62? you should still be on a 56 with and a serato box. Cheaper too.
Mr. Goodkat 8:59 PM - 16 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Then why are you on a 62? you should still be on a 56 with and a serato box. Cheaper too.

truuuuuu
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:32 PM - 16 November, 2015
To me having the built in Serato into the mixers were worth the cost :)
DJBlisk 10:57 PM - 16 November, 2015
I understand the complaints about the faceplate and maybe an opinion on the "shit" crossfader <cough.. bullshit! cough... cough...>. But the comments about not needing all the bells and whistles is utter bullshit.

Go back to an 05pro and vinyl then. Hater juice.
MPC O.G. 12:53 AM - 17 November, 2015
If a cow shits in a pasture, then someone puts a PIO logo on it......Somebody will tell you how great it is. They cut corners left and right to undercut the 62. I'll go with QUALITY over bells and whistles every time. Just MY opinion.....
monchi 12:56 AM - 17 November, 2015
^^^ Better yet get 40 Djs and everyone says the S(ucka)9 is the greatest 2 channel mixer of all time.
Mr. Goodkat 1:56 AM - 17 November, 2015
i think its more tuned into sdj to show its features off as well as a long time want for a Pioneer 2 high quality mixer with 2 soundcards than just a bunch of djs deciding they like pioneer.

most people liked the ttm57(i loved it), but after that meh. the 62 just looks unispiring all the way around to me. that lcd display is borderline embarrassing, looks like a game boy display from 25 years ago and the rest of it IMO (and i know many people that like it, just my opinion, and i dont hate rane either) is just plain ugly and uninspiring.

now, as we all know, it doesnt matter how it looks if its awful, but other than the paint, people seem to be cool with it. it has the rocker switches for efx, which is something new and a great idea. the pads are sorta overkill, but still better than any other mixer. and it does let the user take advantage of the 8 pad efx system. the efx with pioneer(which i think most would agree is probably the best part of pioneer mixers) are cool that they are mixed with serato efx.
Mr. Goodkat 1:57 AM - 17 November, 2015
'8 pad cue system rather than efx'
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:04 AM - 17 November, 2015
the "rocker" switch as you call it is not new,

it was also on the djm 909 not as big but the concept is the same
dj_soo 3:07 AM - 17 November, 2015
it was on the EFX-500 before that
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:09 AM - 17 November, 2015
that i didn't know, never used the efx,
dj_soo 3:17 AM - 17 November, 2015
it's a great control system - I kind of miss it.

The only thing I liked a bit better were the little flexfx faders on the Rane Empath
Niro 4:01 AM - 17 November, 2015
I think the 62 is a good looking mixer. 56 and 57, meh. But 62 is nice looking. Vestax and pioneer do make sexy mixers thou. But yo say the 62 isn't a looking mixer, IMO is eh. But you also have a ton of DJs still dressing like they straight out ig compton. 😉
Mr. Goodkat 10:05 PM - 17 November, 2015
Quote:
the "rocker" switch as you call it is not new,

it was also on the djm 909 not as big but the concept is the same

ah, i see, my bad. i looked it up. guess it is a bit bigger.
desmorider 1:57 AM - 18 November, 2015
I would say hold your money at this time if you are thinking about the s9. The mixer is dope, however if you want it to look good wait until they hopefully work out the paint issue. It seems that Pioneer is having a hard time manning up, and stepping to the plate on this.

forums.pioneerdj.com
WarpNote 6:24 AM - 18 November, 2015
So, yesterday I got the S9 home for testing a few days. I already have the 62 and the 900SRT. Also used to have the 68, but sold it a few years ago. Personally, I had issues with the original 57, as I didt like the way hardware FX was set up, and I could not justify the price at that time.

Let me say this, IMO the S9 rgb performance pads is in no way overkill. They are a little smaller than the DDJ-SP1, but still easy to hit. It's also very easy to see what mode your'e in, due to both colors and the smal LED screen. An upgrade from the 62 buttons IMO. The FX latch trigger is sweet, I like the bank A/B system, and the small LED screens, VERY useful.

Now, a point that everyone seems to miss, the S9 does takes design cues from the Rane 68/64/62/MP26 mixers. The 6 buttons for switching FX, not using the the classic dial from the DJM series. Its somewhat a huge change IMO, as it has been on the DJM series since the 500. I guess the 909 where somewhat similar, although with a touch screen instead, but I think you know where I'm going with this. I really like the button approach, makes the fx selection a lot quicker, at least for me. And the custom fx bank A/B setup is the icing on the cake IMO.

Gonna make my mind up tomorrow, if I'm gonna jump on this mixer, probably not selling any my other mixers very soon though. Damn, I'm developing a gear addiction, and gonna end up like X_Trodinaire ;-)
MPC O.G. 7:23 AM - 18 November, 2015
The S9 is an ATTEMPT to meld the 62 and Z2. Pio makes SHODDY gear. No way around that. Rane and Technics make gear so good it hurts the bottom line of the company. The price difference between the S9 and 62 is only a couple hundred dollars or so. The S9 has a SUSPECT fader to say the least, NO MAGNETIC upfaders, cheap paint, BAD SUPPORT, and made as CHEAP as possible for maximum profit. I can't wait for the NEXT Rane mixer to drop. Maybe they should make a 2015 with a cross fader and keep all the other rotary nobs. Better yet, a rotary Empath with a crossfader. Keep playing with toys if you want to.
DJ Remy USA 9:22 AM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I dont have a 62 though. I still use a DJM 909 at home.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:48 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:

Gonna make my mind up tomorrow, if I'm gonna jump on this mixer, probably not selling any my other mixers very soon though. Damn, I'm developing a gear addiction, and gonna end up like X_Trodinaire ;-)

I have your Gearwhore badge ready! LOL
DJBlisk 5:33 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I dont have a 62 though. I still use a DJM 909 at home.

I love the DJM 909. Nice.
DJBlisk 5:37 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
I would say hold your money at this time if you are thinking about the s9. The mixer is dope, however if you want it to look good wait until they hopefully work out the paint issue. It seems that Pioneer is having a hard time manning up, and stepping to the plate on this.

forums.pioneerdj.com

You guys should read this the discussion. The Pioneer guy just gives it to the all the guys whining about the faceplate. Fucking hilarious. He tells them Pioneer is on top of it and trying to devise a plan. After they bitch some more, he goes on an asks them to chill since.... paint isn't hurting their mixing. Fucking amazing.

forums.pioneerdj.com
WarpNote 5:49 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Lol, ordered the Gold Ltd Edtoday ;-) (Yeah, I'm weak, haha)
DJBlisk 6:08 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol, ordered the Gold Ltd Edtoday ;-) (Yeah, I'm weak, haha)

How mucho?
desmorider 7:11 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

forums.pioneerdj.com

You guys should read this the discussion. The Pioneer guy just gives it to the all the guys whining about the faceplate. Fucking hilarious. He tells them Pioneer is on top of it and trying to devise a plan. After they bitch some more, he goes on an asks them to chill since.... paint isn't hurting their mixing. Fucking amazing.

forums.pioneerdj.com

Huh? English dude.
monchi 7:29 PM - 18 November, 2015
And this is for just the paint issue? So 1 guy to support the S(ucka)9 at Pioneer. Basically he is the middle man, good lord.
desmorider 7:41 PM - 18 November, 2015
He's not even a direct employee. Just a consultant to the company. Fuck outta here with that bullshit. First and last piece of Pioneer dj gear for me. I will just take it back to GC.
monchi 7:46 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
Stop kidding yourselves and stick to a product that has GREAT intergrated parts made/built in U.S.A,, GREATER reliabilty (sound) and the ***************************************************GREATEST CUSTOMER SUPPORT.********************
@@@@@@@@S9 going to be built cheap just like the PLX. Profit > quality.@@@@@@@@@

Youv'e all been warned.

MAKKE IT RANE on the S9
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:48 PM - 18 November, 2015
gotta love the rane fanboys, the only real complaint about the mixer I can see is the paint coming off which will be fixed in a future revision and the fact its not made in america,

no doubt replacement faceplates will be sent out to those effect or some solution,
monchi 8:03 PM - 18 November, 2015
You would expect some customer service, not a consultant, to help you with your issues. Rane has been around a long time. Fanboy or not, the .....................................................TRUTH is RANE!...............................................
Mr. Goodkat 8:08 PM - 18 November, 2015
rane fanboys are far worse than pio fan boys. its a mixer, really who cares about brand. ive never had a bad pioneer mixer since the 600, which i detest and this is junky but I still see fairly often and as much as anyone using a rane mixer unless its a ttm57, which basically everyone in the serato world had at one time or the other.
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:10 PM - 18 November, 2015
with rane failure toenter the controller world pioneer is gonna eat them up soon in terms of sales and with the rekord box software, yes rane make good products but their failure to supply the market and serato not sleeping around i can see the "rain" is starting to clear
Mr. Goodkat 8:23 PM - 18 November, 2015
i will say, i am jealous of anyone the has a mp2015.

thats one thing i cant see Pioneer making.

although at this point, they just might.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:46 PM - 18 November, 2015
Quote:
i will say, i am jealous of anyone the has a mp2015.

www.instagram.com
<rubbing it in> lol

Quote:
thats one thing i cant see Pioneer making.although at this point, they just might.

MP2015 will be hard to beat! Maybe Allen & Heath have a better chance than Pio :)
WarpNote 5:50 AM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
How mucho?
They qouted me "about 130 bucks more" than the standard.
And continued to say "I'll get it as low as I can for you." I have a good relationship with this store, brought former employees with me at gigs, they call me for technical serato software advice, etc. This is the 3rd mixer I get from the store (after rane 68 and pio 900srt), always were happy with my deals, and trust them for this deal aswell. That said, Ill most likely pay more than both US and UK customers, as I live Oslo, Norway, a very high cost economy to say the least. Especially after the Oil price came down, stuff like computers, dj gear had problably about 20% price climb. (Norway is an oil producing country)

Just for the record, for owning the 900srt, ddj-sx, ddj-sp, 2xcdj1000mk3 and soon the S9, I guess most will consider me a Pio fanboy by now, however, Im a big fan of Rane too. I plan to keep both my 62 and SL4. I did borrow the mp2015 from a buddy a couple of months (!) such a nice kit, and if I could afford it, Id probably buy that too... Haha...
DJBlisk 7:06 PM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
How mucho?
They qouted me "about 130 bucks more" than the standard.
And continued to say "I'll get it as low as I can for you." I have a good relationship with this store, brought former employees with me at gigs, they call me for technical serato software advice, etc. This is the 3rd mixer I get from the store (after rane 68 and pio 900srt), always were happy with my deals, and trust them for this deal aswell. That said, Ill most likely pay more than both US and UK customers, as I live Oslo, Norway, a very high cost economy to say the least. Especially after the Oil price came down, stuff like computers, dj gear had problably about 20% price climb. (Norway is an oil producing country)

Just for the record, for owning the 900srt, ddj-sx, ddj-sp, 2xcdj1000mk3 and soon the S9, I guess most will consider me a Pio fanboy by now, however, Im a big fan of Rane too. I plan to keep both my 62 and SL4. I did borrow the mp2015 from a buddy a couple of months (!) such a nice kit, and if I could afford it, Id probably buy that too... Haha...

Cool.

I thought the gold S9s had to be purchased in a package with their turntables too.
WarpNote 7:10 PM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
Cool.

I thought the gold S9s had to be purchased in a package with their turntables too.

Not sure to be honest, will probably know tomorrow if I'm able to get it.
Fingers crossed. Supposedly the limited part is true this time around....
monchi 7:21 PM - 19 November, 2015
Akiem, so what is it going to be
Quote:
Which one should i get?

Quote:
Quote:

ordering today....
{fucking finally}

Quote:
.....shipping....
desmorider 2:33 AM - 20 November, 2015
Returned my S9 today. Don't know if Pioneer has halted sales due to the paint issue, but GC no states backorders until 12/18. Oh Well.
DJ Jonasty 5:20 AM - 20 November, 2015
So I watched the review by Mojaxx and I've sort of changed my mind. There is a lot more to this mixer than meets the eye. But at $2,700 in Australia, they can keep it. For that kind of money if the paint was chipping I would personally fly to Malaysia and find the sweat shop it was made in and demand another one.

Although I'd rather just go say what's up to the Rane guys in Seattle. Made in the USA sure does make a difference.
ozfrombk 3:54 PM - 20 November, 2015
I really can't decide between these 2 and the Rane 62. I been trying to upgrade from my ttm56s for the longest. Honestly I love my 56 but I would love to have a mixer that has xlr connections and also makes it easier to manage effects.
CMOS 4:34 PM - 20 November, 2015
I just read that Pio forum, that dude who runs it seems to be a douche.
Detroitbootybass 4:56 PM - 20 November, 2015
Quote:
I just read that Pio forum, that dude who runs it seems to be a douche.

Agreed.
DJBlisk 5:13 PM - 20 November, 2015
Quote:
I really can't decide between these 2 and the Rane 62. I been trying to upgrade from my ttm56s for the longest. Honestly I love my 56 but I would love to have a mixer that has xlr connections and also makes it easier to manage effects.

See if you can play on all of them and then make a decision. They all have their faults. Try to get one that best fits your style.
nik39 11:59 PM - 20 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

forums.pioneerdj.com

forums.pioneerdj.com

Well.. First, Pulse has been known to be a complete d!ck on the forums.

Second... When I read his initial post, I was like... how does that make any sense? So you're telling me that you're an external consultant, telling me that you know much more than some at Pioneer, and on top telling me, that everything he says is on behalf of Pioneer?!
That's "borderline" contradicting.
nik39 12:03 AM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
I am not a Pioneer employee so I don't have access to many of their internal communications,

Really...

And I am speechless after reading some of his other comments (stop whining, go practicing your mixing)
AKIEM 12:18 AM - 21 November, 2015
wow
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:19 AM - 21 November, 2015
yea the pulse guy is a cunt , must pop over and have a read for a laugh
lumas13 12:31 AM - 21 November, 2015
One week and the paint is still good
monchi 12:40 AM - 21 November, 2015
^ keep it in the box, you will be fine
djrob70 4:19 AM - 21 November, 2015
I have had my S9 for 3 weeks and have been using it frequently and I have not experienced any paint chipping. But really trying to understanding how it happening as there is a at least 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap between fader and face plate. Unless something was out of alignment due to removing the faceplate to mess with the bumper guards....
desmorider 4:29 AM - 21 November, 2015
It seems like some faders have play in them, and hit the edge of the paint.
Mr. Goodkat 9:34 PM - 21 November, 2015
anybody dig the 57pt2 ?
PopRoXxX 8:12 AM - 22 November, 2015
Love my 57mkII!! But already know my side lol
desmorider 12:35 PM - 22 November, 2015
Quote:
But already know my side lol

What does that mean?
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:19 PM - 22 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

What does that mean?

it means your comprehension isn't great
WarpNote 9:13 PM - 22 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

What does that mean?

Answer to be found some posts above....

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah. Used to play on their gear by choice back in the day. But the cheaper the makes get while paying top dollar doesn't interest me anymore. Now I play on Pioneer at most of my gigs, but not by choice. Lol
desmorider 2:40 AM - 23 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What does that mean?

it means your comprehension isn't great

fuck off....
desmorider 2:41 AM - 23 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What does that mean?

Answer to be found some posts above....

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks man...
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:42 AM - 23 November, 2015
Quote:

fuck off....

emm, no
Mighty Dragon Sounds 11:02 AM - 23 November, 2015
So much drama.... Lmao
jevo9 7:47 PM - 24 November, 2015
i have the s9 and 57 mk2. both dope but Rane is on top on their customer service
monchi 9:44 PM - 24 November, 2015
Quote:
.....shipping....

Still on route ?
Macsfred 11:01 PM - 24 November, 2015
Quote:
i have the s9 and 57 mk2. both dope but Rane is on top on their customer service

I agree, even though i´m in Stockholm Sweden Rane has always been great with their customer support. I currently have the Rane 62 & 64 (recently sold my 57SL) and recently bought the S9. All great mixers for open format dj's as myself. The Ranes are definitely more solid overall, my 64 has been through a whole lot :) and still looks brand new. Not to sure how the Pioneer will hold up on the road with the glossy face plate etc.

If i compare my Ranes to the new S9 i would say;

1) The crossfader is way better on the S9, cut in time, tension control and digital adjustments to your own personal taste. Will it hold up (?), only time will tell. Personally i think the 57SL had a better crossfader than the 62. But that has already been discussed :)

2) Sound quality on the S9 is equal to the 64 and better than the 62. No Pio mixer has sounded this great in my book. It's a bold statement i know. Please give it a go on a big system before you comment.

3) Integrated SP1 functions - Yes it's great with bigger pads and serato fx etc. However it's nothing you can't adress with adding the SP1. The FX paddles are the main difference and they are great. Mainly because they are so easy to use (access) during scratching etc.

Dislikes;

I will not comment on bugs, and there is quite a few, though software (firmware) related...

1) No split cue

2) Load track button is not back lit, nor is it on the same position for left & right deck

3) Knobs for headphone volume and cue/master is way to small - love the crossfader between cueing though.

4) HW Integrated echo lacks some vital adjustment possibilities. Will probably get fixed through updates.

For a regular Joe as myself those are the main differences. Should you run out and buy the S9 if you own a 62 or a 57MKII. Probably not (i'm a gear whore). However if you you're looking to buy a new one i would def consider the S9.

I would also like to add to the discussion that i think it's great that we now have some competition and options. Who would have thought that there would be new mixers of this calibre aimed for us turntablists three years ago.
Mr. Goodkat 11:19 PM - 24 November, 2015
what do you think the market is for a used 57 mk2, i see one floating around.
DJBlisk 12:51 AM - 25 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, even though i´m in Stockholm Sweden Rane has always been great with their customer support. I currently have the Rane 62 & 64 (recently sold my 57SL) and recently bought the S9. All great mixers for open format dj's as myself. The Ranes are definitely more solid overall, my 64 has been through a whole lot :) and still looks brand new. Not to sure how the Pioneer will hold up on the road with the glossy face plate etc.

1) The crossfader is way better on the S9, cut in time, tension control and digital adjustments to your own personal taste. Will it hold up (?), only time will tell. Personally i think the 57SL had a better crossfader than the 62. But that has already been discussed :)

2) Sound quality on the S9 is equal to the 64 and better than the 62. No Pio mixer has sounded this great in my book. It's a bold statement i know. Please give it a go on a big system before you comment.

3) Integrated SP1 functions - Yes it's great with bigger pads and serato fx etc. However it's nothing you can't adress with adding the SP1. The FX paddles are the main difference and they are great. Mainly because they are so easy to use (access) during scratching etc.

Dislikes;

I will not comment on bugs, and there is quite a few, though software (firmware) related...

1) No split cue

2) Load track button is not back lit, nor is it on the same position for left & right deck

3) Knobs for headphone volume and cue/master is way to small - love the crossfader between cueing though.

4) HW Integrated echo lacks some vital adjustment possibilities. Will probably get fixed through updates.

For a regular Joe as myself those are the main differences. Should you run out and buy the S9 if you own a 62 or a 57MKII. Probably not (i'm a gear whore). However if you you're looking to buy a new one i would def consider the S9.

I would also like to add to the discussion that i think it's great that we now have some competition and options. Who would have thought that there would be new mixers of this calibre aimed for us turntablists three years ago.

Agreed
Mr. Goodkat 4:28 AM - 25 November, 2015
what is the sound quality like vs the ttm 57 mk 1 or a pioneer 900? just sound characteristic ala fuller, warmer, colder, etc?

i notice the 900 and s9 to be very loud, which can be a good and bad thing.
dj_soo 5:11 AM - 25 November, 2015
couple of functional things in the S9 that I don't like/prefer on the 62 - keep in mind I've never used the S9 - just basing it off pictures, reviews, and other pioneer products.

- I like having effects and a dedicated filter on the USB aux channel - 62 has this, the S9 does not.

- I still hate the auto-loop controls. It's the same as the SZ where you have a large engage button and one halving and one doubling button. Prefer the click-knob on the 62 or SP1. This is mainly because once the Beat Jump controls are engaged, you only have the top row of pads to control Loop Roll and you'd want Loop Roll at around 1/16 - 1/2 while you want Auto Loop at 1 - 16. Twisting a knob is much easier to switch up that range as compared to having to press the button a bunch of times.

- Would still prefer independent pad assignments like every other 16-pad controller in existence. I like being able cue one side while playing with say loop roll or beat jump on the other.

That said, I'd love an S9 to fuck about with - love the effect triggers because I used to own an EFX-500 and found that control scheme far superior to the simple flex-fx button. Still like the little dry/wet fader on the Empath the best tho.
Macsfred 7:09 AM - 25 November, 2015
Quote:
what is the sound quality like vs the ttm 57 mk 1 or a pioneer 900? just sound characteristic ala fuller, warmer, colder, etc?

i notice the 900 and s9 to be very loud, which can be a good and bad thing.

I have not heard the 900 so i can't really tell how they compare. I would say that the sound is warmer and a bit more full compared to the 57 mk 1 and the 62. Also there is a difference in the bass punch. I have not noticed that it is louder though, i would say they are about the same. The headphone volume is however louder on the S9 :)
Macsfred 7:12 AM - 25 November, 2015
Quote:
couple of functional things in the S9 that I don't like/prefer on the 62 - keep in mind I've never used the S9 - just basing it off pictures, reviews, and other pioneer products.

- I like having effects and a dedicated filter on the USB aux channel - 62 has this, the S9 does not.

- I still hate the auto-loop controls. It's the same as the SZ where you have a large engage button and one halving and one doubling button. Prefer the click-knob on the 62 or SP1. This is mainly because once the Beat Jump controls are engaged, you only have the top row of pads to control Loop Roll and you'd want Loop Roll at around 1/16 - 1/2 while you want Auto Loop at 1 - 16. Twisting a knob is much easier to switch up that range as compared to having to press the button a bunch of times.

- Would still prefer independent pad assignments like every other 16-pad controller in existence. I like being able cue one side while playing with say loop roll or beat jump on the other.

That said, I'd love an S9 to fuck about with - love the effect triggers because I used to own an EFX-500 and found that control scheme far superior to the simple flex-fx button. Still like the little dry/wet fader on the Empath the best tho.

Totally agree, good and relevant points!
jevo9 8:01 AM - 25 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Dislikes;

1) No split cue

Exactly the way i feel! Just waiting on Rane to make the move so i can purchase that mixer too!
DJ Remy USA 12:20 PM - 25 November, 2015
Finally played on the S9 last night, it really reminded me of the 909 on steroids which is kinda the point.

Score:

Crossfader : 9
Pads: 10
FX: 10
Build: 9
Sound: 8

Its was dope mixer to cut on took me a second to get all the fader curves adjusted but its customizable with tones of different slopes. Still not feeling seratoDJ, thats my biggest con. Something about SDJ just does seem to be as smooth you know I cant put my finger on it so Im not buying it at the moment.
DJ Remy USA 12:26 PM - 25 November, 2015
*tons not tones
PopRoXxX 6:46 PM - 25 November, 2015
I played on it a few times now. I can agree with most everything above EXCEPT ......

"Build: 4 (maybe 5)"

Dope machine. But made cheaply. You can see (outside & inside) and tell the cutting of corners
DJ_X_Trodinaire 7:09 PM - 25 November, 2015
Just received my DJM-S9 today from www.agiprodj.com

Thank you again Kevin!
www.instagram.com
A skinz is a must.

Another gear checked of my never ending wish list lol
<Gearwhore CEO>
desmorider 1:12 AM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:
I played on it a few times now. I can agree with most everything above EXCEPT ......

Dope machine. But made cheaply. You can see (outside & inside) and tell the cutting of corners

The inside of the s9 looks like utter trash. Looks like it was assembled in high school electronics class. Wow
desmorider 1:47 AM - 26 November, 2015
djvtyme85 4:28 AM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:
Finally played on the S9 last night, it really reminded me of the 909 on steroids which is kinda the point.

Score:

Its was dope mixer to cut on took me a second to get all the fader curves adjusted but its customizable with tones of different slopes. Still not feeling seratoDJ, thats my biggest con. Something about SDJ just does seem to be as smooth you know I cant put my finger on it so Im not buying it at the moment.

i hate the search function. if you do not type a song exactly how it is titled for example: in SL i type "loves hol" and love's holiday appears in SDJ i do the same and nothing pops up.

songs i know i have i don't see until i open up SL. that's a big deal breaker because i hate using crates and i do a lot of sets on the fly.
MPC O.G. 5:52 AM - 26 November, 2015

WOW. LOOKS LIKE THE PIECE OF CHEAPLY MADE SHIT IT WILL TURN OUT TO BE....
monchi 7:42 AM - 26 November, 2015

Quote:
************************************************S9going to be built cheap just like the PLX. Profit > quality.
Youv'e all been warned.************************************************

MAKKE IT RANE on the S9

Well to be called a Rane fanboi over owning a Pioneer S9 toy, I will gladly take the ladder.
nik39 1:06 PM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:

Ouch. Plastic allllll over the place :(
PopRoXxX 4:04 PM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yup. The "Pioneer" way. Sad
WarpNote 6:40 PM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:
Just received my DJM-S9 today from www.agiprodj.com

Thank you again Kevin!
www.instagram.com
A skinz is a must.

Another gear checked of my never ending wish list lol
<Gearwhore CEO>

Niiice, I picked up min today as well. Gold Ed no 164/500
Did I earn my gearwhore badge yet?

New setup -> www.flickr.com
164/500 -> www.flickr.com
Gearwhore shot -> www.flickr.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 7:28 PM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:

Niiice, I picked up min today as well. Gold Ed no 164/500
Did I earn my gearwhore badge yet?

New setup -> www.flickr.com
164/500 -> www.flickr.com
Gearwhore shot -> www.flickr.com

Nice!
I have to talk to the board directors about your nomination lol
I wonder if the limited has a different faceplate that is not susceptible to paint pealing issue?
DJ Remy USA 8:33 PM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:

I spent 45 minutes with it and shared it with 8 other DJs...(pause) it be a nice mixer to have but I get my second hand like I did my 909.
DJ Remy USA 8:36 PM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yup. The "Pioneer" way. Sad

does look cheap under the hood I will agree and still cost that much they cut corners on production that 1,000$ mixer build/feature wise I suggest
DJ Remy USA 8:37 PM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Score:

i hate the search function. if you do not type a song exactly how it is titled for example: in SL i type "loves hol" and love's holiday appears in SDJ i do the same and nothing pops up.

songs i know i have i don't see until i open up SL. that's a big deal breaker because i hate using crates and i do a lot of sets on the fly.

I need to test that myself, thats a easy fix for serato if that really is the case with the library.
dj_soo 11:50 PM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:

I have never seen that myself. Partial words always show up in my SDJ searches.
nik39 12:30 AM - 27 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure you have enabled the same columns to search for in SDJ as you have in SL?
Mr. Goodkat 3:22 AM - 27 November, 2015
does plastic still have the same stigma of being worse than metal when the construction of mixers is discussed? in as far as any part of the mixer outside of buttons and fader caps? i can see maybe the weight or possibility to melt, but is metal a key to mixers and their cost?

im just asking, im not making a statement of better or worse. i would assume heat dissipation could be much different, or screws getting stripped easier, or weight differences but other than that? maybe cost of metal vs cost of plastics (i.e. the mixer should be cheaper dollar wise if made of plastic, if plastic is drastically cheaper).
djvtyme85 3:33 AM - 27 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure you have enabled the same columns to search for in SDJ as you have in SL?

i have everything checked off. tried it on multiple laptops and other libraries. it's not the end of the world but a annoying. i will say SDJ has come a long way inregard to stability. over the past 6 months no crashes what so ever, but i have never used it with DVS.
dj_soo 3:36 AM - 27 November, 2015
try rebuilding your library and importing your crates.

start by renaming your _serato_ folder and the launch.

See if it still happens when you do that.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:14 PM - 27 November, 2015
Quote:

I just tried what you recommended, just to verify the above complaint.
Very weird result on my search:
Searched for Cant (Can't), Its (It's) or thats (that's) nothing shows up.
BUT
Searched for Im (I'm) it shows on search

These are fresh new files, never been imported/analyzed, and new library folder (deleted the old _Serato_)
WarpNote 4:59 PM - 27 November, 2015
Quote:

Actually this is wrong, it has them, post "fader" (ie volume knob),
turn them on using the buttons besides the tap button :-)
WarpNote 5:15 PM - 27 November, 2015
Quote:
I wonder if the limited has a different faceplate that is not susceptible to paint pealing issue?

Yeah I wonder too, took it to its first gig last night, loads of fun.
3 more gigs this weekend, gonna put it through its paces...
djvtyme85 4:36 AM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I just tried what you recommended, just to verify the above complaint.
Very weird result on my search:
Searched for Cant (Can't), Its (It's) or thats (that's) nothing shows up.
BUT
Searched for Im (I'm) it shows on search

These are fresh new files, never been imported/analyzed, and new library folder (deleted the old _Serato_)

see what i'm saying
4mydawgz 11:52 AM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Score:

I think I know what your problem is. I was having issues with the search function in DJ as well. There is a down arrow in the search bar. Click it and made sure everything is checked off.
djvtyme85 12:07 PM - 28 November, 2015
everything is checked off i've confirmed u must type in song titles correctly like if the title is "can't" u must type it that way. typing "cant" like i would in SL will result in nothing showing up
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:19 PM - 28 November, 2015
Hey djvtyme, During the very early SL, I too hated that you cannot search the way you wanted to: "cant" vs can't" So I downloaded a program, Tagscanner (windows only but running on Virtualbox) to manage my mp3 files.
It has a feature to remove or replace characters/punctuation marks like: coma, exclamation point, etc. OCD! lol
Ever since, I did not have to worry about typing in the punctuation. It became part of my file management ritual.

But you are right, we should be able to search without the punctuation marks interfering.
dj_soo 8:48 PM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
typing "cant" like i would in SL will result in nothing showing up

I just checked this on SL and it doesn't work that way either.
4mydawgz 1:20 AM - 30 November, 2015
it's probably because that's how the filename is and how the song name is displayed.

what i usually do is in the filename i'll put "can't", but in the itunes, i'll put "cant". that way either way i type it it'll show.
monchi 1:22 AM - 30 November, 2015
AKIEM so?
AKIEM 1:27 AM - 30 November, 2015
So I went with the Rane 57mkii!

I will have some feedback in a couple weeks when I know more about what I'm saying.
DJ Quartz 3:03 PM - 30 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

If remixing is done tastefully and musically, the crowd appreciates it.
DJ Quartz 3:04 PM - 30 November, 2015
Forgot to add to this, especially when the crowd realizes it's you doing it and not just a remix track playing.
DJBlisk 4:46 PM - 30 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm glad you guys feel great about your 62 in a 57mkii vs. S9 discussion.
DJ Remy USA 5:16 PM - 30 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hence my sentence "you can give it some flare" meaning you apply this stuff tastefully but thats about it.
AKIEM 6:02 PM - 30 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm glad you guys feel great about your 62 in a 57mkii vs. S9 discussion.

Right
Dj Rehab 10:12 PM - 30 November, 2015
I spun on an S9 last night and it was a really frigging dope mixer. The built in echo and the toggles were so freaking sick! And the fader is butter smooth. I have a 62 and I have spun on the 57II a few times. Pioneer feels more solid to me and I've always been a Rane person since the days of the 56. Just my 2 cents
AKIEM 10:23 PM - 30 November, 2015
Quote:
I spun on an S9 last night and it was a really frigging dope mixer. The built in echo and the toggles were so freaking sick! And the fader is butter smooth. I have a 62 and I have spun on the 57II a few times. Pioneer feels more solid to me and I've always been a Rane person since the days of the 56. Just my 2 cents

What in particular feels solid. Because something about the MKII feels 'less solid' than the TTM - and Im not exactly sure what it is. Maybe a combination of things like the raised buttons, the feel of the infinite knobs, the edges on the joysticks - not exactly sure - just doesn't have the TTM feeling. Maybe just something to get used to. But the raised buttons for example, just being raised like that they feel less sturdy....

eh, I don't know...
Dj Rehab 10:46 PM - 30 November, 2015
The 62 and the 57II feel very hollow to me. Not bashing those at all as they perform, but the OG 57 was def more solid. The Pioneer's pots and buttons are just much better to touch. They have some resistance that just feels better to me. Obviously, the cue buttons are in another class on the Pioneer. I literally was thrown on stage and had to install the drivers right there- and Serato DJ 1.8 ran flawlessly for my set. The fader is different, i had to adjust it best I could. I love the chirp scratch and it was not easy to transition from the Rane fader. But my 2 click flares were nicer and the crab scratch was also better. I suspect I just need more time. My GF bought an S9 for my birthday and it will be here Wednesday. So i will really get a great test on it.
AKIEM 11:06 PM - 30 November, 2015
Nice.

Yes the hollow feeling, I agree. I wonder if that's a simple matter of size to weight ratio?

Could be all just a matter of getting used to a new mixer. 5 years or whatever on the TTM is a long time. To be honest, I never felt comfortable on other peoples 57s either. ...

I actually do prefer the knobs on the mkii. I might switch a couple of the caps out tho.

One thing I hate. Is the absence of the notches on the gain knobs. [sigh] I used those for my "zero point" especially for instant doubles. ... I might have to switch those out - unfortunate. Yes, I know what the trade off is - but you can work around that if need be. There is no work around for leaving the notch off the gains :(
boogiebears 11:39 PM - 30 November, 2015
Quote:

One thing I hate. Is the absence of the notches on the gain knobs. [sigh] I used those for my "zero point" especially for instant doubles. ... I might have to switch those out - unfortunate. Yes, I know what the trade off is - but you can work around that if need be. There is no work around for leaving the notch off the gains :(

..id like to know more about this mod, if you intend to do it.
DJ Tracktion 5:06 PM - 1 December, 2015
Quote:

Well that's good to know. I'm the same way. So want to off load these two 57's I have and get an s9 or 62 (being i can still use SSL with it, I might go that route) and was thinking an ddj-sx for small gigs that don't require my TT's but that little search issue could honestly be a deal breaker.
Dj Rehab 8:13 PM - 2 December, 2015
After about 6 hours of practice with the S9, it's clearly a better mixer than a 62. Pads and fader are just amazing. Serato DJ runs really well with this thing, much better than my 62. The buttons are all really solid to the touch. The track selection is a little different but that's just a new mixer type of thing. I practiced for 2 hours after a 8 hour work day, the mixer just feels right. Like what I dreamed a 57II would actually be like after using a 57 for years..
SG SOUNDS 9:04 PM - 2 December, 2015
youtu.be

interesting video on the s9...this is why you stay for away from pioneer...rane for me all day
Dj Rehab 9:41 PM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
youtu.be

interesting video on the s9...this is why you stay for away from pioneer...rane for me all day

My 62 has had multiple problems, many times the cues have went out and the back button even went out. Not to mention I had to open it up and do work on the fader to make it sharper on the day I bought it. Granted, Rane will fix it, but damn man. I don't want to send my mixer out to be repaired all the time.
Mr. Goodkat 12:02 AM - 3 December, 2015
rane fan boys are the worst.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:37 AM - 3 December, 2015
Quote:
rane fan boys are the worst.

Question....

Do you think Technics fan boys exist?
Sticky K 2:56 AM - 3 December, 2015
Quote:
After about 6 hours of practice with the S9, it's clearly a better mixer than a 62. Pads and fader are just amazing. Serato DJ runs really well with this thing, much better than my 62. The buttons are all really solid to the touch. The track selection is a little different but that's just a new mixer type of thing. I practiced for 2 hours after a 8 hour work day, the mixer just feels right. Like what I dreamed a 57II would actually be like after using a 57 for years..

+1

I recently received my S9 recently as well (had an OG 57 and still have a 62) and I absolutely AGREE. This thing way way better and trust me I have been a Rane fan boy :). My cuts are sharper and cross fader is awesome. Felt at home straight away.
Sticky K 2:57 AM - 3 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

+1

I recently received my S9 recently as well (had an OG 57 and still have a 62) and I absolutely AGREE. This thing way way better and trust me I have been a Rane fan boy :). My cuts are sharper and cross fader is awesome. Felt at home straight away.

Oh and the wax they included actually came nice and flat! still cant use the vinyl that came with my 62 :(
AKIEM 3:00 AM - 3 December, 2015
Quote:
Oh and the wax they included actually came nice and flat! still cant use the vinyl that came with my 62 :(

Erm. .
Mighty Dragon Sounds 4:40 AM - 3 December, 2015
Anyone elses S9 still on backorder from back in September?
jevo9 10:12 AM - 3 December, 2015
Quote:

and i thought i was the only one having problems with my 62 and serato dj! i have the s9 now and I'm able to run the latency at 1.
jevo9 10:14 AM - 3 December, 2015
Quote:
Anyone elses S9 still on backorder from back in September?

where you order from??
Dj Rehab 9:53 PM - 7 December, 2015
After 3 full gigs on the Pioneer this weekend, all i can say is buy it. It really stabilizes Serato DJ. I absolutely love every detail about the mixer. The sound is TOP NOTCH! And the headphone fader is the tits! The cues are so friggin easy to see in the dark and the MIC section is seriously ill. The talkover worked flawless during announcing the bridal party. Even the looping section is super quick. Just a fantastic piece of gear.
Cuervo 12:19 AM - 8 December, 2015
Quote:
After 3 full gigs on the Pioneer this weekend, all i can say is buy it. It really stabilizes Serato DJ. I absolutely love every detail about the mixer. The sound is TOP NOTCH! And the headphone fader is the tits! The cues are so friggin easy to see in the dark and the MIC section is seriously ill. The talkover worked flawless during announcing the bridal party. Even the looping section is super quick. Just a fantastic piece of gear.

I know its in a different league but it is to much difference between the DJM-S9 and the DDJ-SX 2? I sold my 1210s and now i only have one cdj. I am mobil dj so portability is what i am looking for but if theres to much difference i dont mind going with the mixer and instant doubles.
AKIEM 2:10 AM - 8 December, 2015
One deck + instant doubles = win
desmorider 2:25 AM - 8 December, 2015
Quote:

how does that work?
AKIEM 2:33 AM - 8 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

how does that work?

Works great!

But its a good skill to have in case one table dies.

Set deck two to internal. Load deck one. Play. ID to deck two. Now the same cut is on both decks, cut the fader over to deck two. Now you can load the new track on deck one. And you can always load on deck one.

Ive been doing this for years.
Joshua Carl 6:58 AM - 8 December, 2015
Another work around is to use Inklen's tonetable app.

It gives you a control tone and a pitch adjust/nudge
You can try to cut... But it's not too easy
Certainly once u learn it you can!

So you can see (I have it on my Mini) ::>
instagram.com
DJBlisk 7:20 AM - 19 December, 2015
Fisherpryce snapped the fader to his 62 and the paint was chipping and scratch as well.

What say you Rane Fan Boys?
Niro 3:31 PM - 19 December, 2015
They probably sent him s replacement fader asap, I'm sure with some milk and cookies. Not sure where the paint would scratch, since its clear lexan. 😉
 6 4:49 PM - 19 December, 2015
Wait. Paint chipping and it's clear lexan?

Someone is making shit up then. lmao!!!!!

nm
Mr. Goodkat 5:52 PM - 19 December, 2015
Quote:
I'm sure with some milk and cookies.

probably like 50 pizzas
DJ Irv 4:13 PM - 20 December, 2015
Quote:
Fisherpryce snapped the fader to his 62 and the paint was chipping and scratch as well.

What say you Rane Fan Boys?

There's a layer of plastic or like SIX said Lexan. Let's see proof of what you are saying.
ral 6:16 PM - 20 December, 2015
tried the s9 last nite
pro
nice crossfader
pads
efx
toggle switch

con
efx assigned to both channel
cannot seprate cue/roll/splicer per channel
i dont mind the cheap faceplate

but i think i'll wait for 62mk2

my 57mk2 works for now
WarpNote 11:42 PM - 20 December, 2015
If separate fx and pad modes are important for you, then adding a DDJ-SP1 or any other midi will solve that for you. Agree that it should have separate modes.

I have both 62 and S9, 62 stays in my home setup, S9 comes with me on gigs.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:17 AM - 21 December, 2015
There's midi conflict between using S9 and the DDJSP1

If you change the mode pad mode on S9 it will also change both channels on the DDJSP1 to all Hot Cue, Slicer Etc. Now, let say you you have Slicer selected on the S9, then you select Hot Cue on Channel 2 on the DDJSP1, the pads on the S9 stays on Slicer but you are triggering Hot cues. So visually it is confusing. Once in a while you wont even be able to trigger a pad.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:20 AM - 21 December, 2015
Oh and I thought I would get over it, but now I wish it automatically load your customized FX settings instead of manually loading Bank A or B.
Niro 12:27 AM - 21 December, 2015
Loving the midi-mapped 57mk2. Joysticks are dope and mapping the kill switches adds 6 extra buttons. Hoping to post a video in a bit.
AKIEM 12:50 AM - 21 December, 2015
Niro, What do you map the kill switches to?
WarpNote 12:51 AM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
Oh and I thought I would get over it, but now I wish it automatically load your customized FX settings instead of manually loading Bank A or B.

Wouldn't that be confusing when playing 2 laptops?
Cuervo 1:13 AM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
Loving the midi-mapped 57mk2. Joysticks are dope and mapping the kill switches adds 6 extra buttons. Hoping to post a video in a bit.

Please make that video cause ill buy my new toy after NAMM, i have the TTM57SL, i would like to but the new one but that S9 is dope.
JD WAS. 2:42 AM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
There's midi conflict between using S9 and the DDJSP1

If you change the mode pad mode on S9 it will also change both channels on the DDJSP1 to all Hot Cue, Slicer Etc. Now, let say you you have Slicer selected on the S9, then you select Hot Cue on Channel 2 on the DDJSP1, the pads on the S9 stays on Slicer but you are triggering Hot cues. So visually it is confusing. Once in a while you wont even be able to trigger a pad.

Is this also the case with the 64/ddjsp1?
Can you have independent midi control for each channel with the 64/sp1 combo?
2 decks on the mixer/2decks on sp1?
DJBlisk 9:22 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:

nm

You know me better than that. Com'on..... Look:
i19.photobucket.com
Dj Rehab 10:07 PM - 21 December, 2015
I'm up to 6 gigs with the S9 with absolutely no problems with SDJ or the S9. I practice about 2 hours every single day, and I have had it since Nov 30th. No paint chipping, no paint fade on the knob. This is easily the best mixer I've used so far. And it seems to make SDJ very SSL like. It's a huge upgrade over a 62. Traded my 62 for 3 Technics 1200s.
thorissr 12:48 AM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
I'm up to 6 gigs with the S9 with absolutely no problems with SDJ or the S9. I practice about 2 hours every single day, and I have had it since Nov 30th. No paint chipping, no paint fade on the knob. This is easily the best mixer I've used so far. And it seems to make SDJ very SSL like. It's a huge upgrade over a 62. Traded my 62 for 3 Technics 1200s.

^^^ +1000
Niro 2:13 AM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

i19.photobucket.com

Don't see the paint chip.
Niro 2:14 AM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Niro, What do you map the kill switches to?

I map it to my cue points 5-7 right now.
 6 2:24 AM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

i19.photobucket.com

It's right there. Under the Lexar coating.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

nm
jevo9 5:21 AM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

i19.photobucket.com

wheres the chipping?
JpNahle 5:30 AM - 22 December, 2015
[post removed]
Niro 6:44 PM - 22 December, 2015

Nothing is a 100%, the difference here Rane will fader is user replaceable and they will stand by their product and give you lifetime support on it. They also give you 3 year warranty, not just 1 year. Not to mention the S9 crossfader is not user replaceable, you will have to send it in.

I'm not hating on the mixer, actully i think its dope pioneer cme out with the S9. Just pointing out some facts.
DJBlisk 6:46 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:

Nothing is a 100%, the difference here Rane will fader is user replaceable and they will stand by their product and give you lifetime support on it. They also give you 3 year warranty, not just 1 year. Not to mention the S9 crossfader is not user replaceable, you will have to send it in.

I'm not hating on the mixer, actully i think its dope pioneer cme out with the S9. Just pointing out some facts.

I totally agree. If the S9 was made by Rane, that would be the ultimate. I just posted because some of the Rane fanboys dogging on the S9 for dumb reasons.
DJBlisk 6:46 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

i19.photobucket.com

It's right there. Under the Lexar coating.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

nm

Whats that on the right of the crossfader?
DJ Irv 6:53 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Whats that on the right of the crossfader?

A savage beating.
Niro 7:51 PM - 22 December, 2015
That's some gorilla knuckle drags, someone trying to dig there way to China, maybe visit the pioneer factory. :)
Mr. Goodkat 8:25 PM - 22 December, 2015
all the weight behind morbidly obese people can break mixers.
DJBlisk 10:48 PM - 22 December, 2015
hahaha
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:01 PM - 22 December, 2015
Firmware update available for the DJM-S9

www.pioneerdj.com

Update Ver.1.06:
[FIXED]

Incorrect MIDI value when using crossfader.
Pressing PADs repeatedly in FX TRIGGER MODE with effect lever held in LOCK leaked original sound.
BPM of channel 1/2 BEAT FX was sometimes different from the displayed BPM with SAMPLER FX or AUX FX engaged.
pdidy 12:38 AM - 23 December, 2015
"You know me better than that. Com'on..... Look:
i19.photobucket.com

Upon further review, it is my ruling that this is not paint chipping as alleged by the complainant. I have also concluded with the evidence provided that this physical damage was caused by heavy blunt force trauma and not by casual use as we may have been led to believe. It is my belief that the witness and/or accuser is withholding evidence in his effort to not incriminate himself. Therefore this photo will be excluded as evidence.

Case dismissed. i.imgur.com
Dj Ace 3:13 AM - 23 December, 2015
Don't believe this happened with normal mixing
Niro 4:59 AM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:

I blame it on that one turntable instant double style.
AKIEM 5:05 AM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I blame it on that one turntable instant double style.

Very likely, yes - very likely indeed.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:16 PM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
i19.photobucket.com

Upon further review, it is my ruling that this is not paint chipping as alleged by the complainant. I have also concluded with the evidence provided that this physical damage was caused by heavy blunt force trauma and not by casual use as we may have been led to believe. It is my belief that the witness and/or accuser is withholding evidence in his effort to not incriminate himself. Therefore this photo will be excluded as evidence.

This brings a tear to my eye....

You guys have come a long way...

I'm glad to have had an impact on your lives..

Salute!
pdidy 2:24 PM - 23 December, 2015
Well you know what they say about imitation :)
Joshua Carl 3:19 PM - 23 December, 2015
READY TO RULE!
i.imgur.com
DJ Remy USA 3:33 PM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
i19.photobucket.com

This brings a tear to my eye....

You guys have come a long way...

I'm glad to have had an impact on your lives..

Salute!

LMAO
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:55 PM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
Is this also the case with the 64/ddjsp1?
Can you have independent midi control for each channel with the 64/sp1 combo?
2 decks on the mixer/2decks on sp1?

Yes you can control deck 1 & 2 on the Rane64 and 3 & 4 on the ddjsp1 BUT you will not have transport controls (pitch/play) unless you midi map it to somthing else.

Or once you mix a song on deck 1 then drag it on deck 3 (instant double)

I have not experience any issue yet on the 64 or 62 with the ddjsp1
DJ Mr Vince 11:19 PM - 16 January, 2016
I've owned almost every Rane battle style mixer since the 54. that includes the 54i, 56, 57 & the 62. I like the people at Rane, I like quality of the build & the warranty. How ever as a battle style DJ, I feel like over the years they have gotten away from key battle elements on there mixers. 2 import things to me are

1. Upfader position. Most Battle DJs will tell U that if U do a lot of tricks where your jumping from crossfader to upfader a lot. Its better to have the upfaders not so spread out. Back in the day. the hot mixer was the Vestax 05 pro & when they came out with the 07 & when technics drop a mixer they put the upfaders much closer together at the request of battle DJs. Thats pretty much been the standard since then. Rane however has gone back wards. The 54 faders where close, then the 56 they got spread apart some (still not to bad) then the 57 even more (still not to bad) then the 62, now thats to much. The s9 upfaders are positioned well.

2. the crossfader Cue. You need that as a battle dj. Loosing this feature on the 62 was a bad idea. I day light, Like when I do my stations summer concert. I can't even tell what side is cued. You can see the light in the daytime. Also I think any mixer dropping after 2010 has to do better then small Plastic 1 color buttons. Maybe Rane just got to comfortable from dominating that class of DJ mixers for so long.

To me it looks like Pioneer really polled DJs for what they wanted and needed and they came damn close to nailing it. After coping the DJM s9 mixer and sitting with it for a while, I can say its just a really comfortable mixer. For the most part things are positioned in the right places & its easy to use.

The Crossfader is amazing. The best I have ever scratched with. The sound quality is great as well. They did a good job.

There are a few things I don't like tho. And maybe any other DJs that have tried out the S9 mixer can say if they agree or not.

1. Am I the only person that thinks the up-faders are to close to the pads?  Sometimes if I am cutting with the up-faders or even just muting the audio for people to sing along in the club.  I have hit the edge of pads directly above the faders by mistake. (the pads are sensitive. Even if you touch the edge it triggers) Everyone knows the key to a great battle mixers is plenty of space around the faders so you can comfortably cut ,scratch & juggle with out hitting anything else on the mixer.  I basically midi mapped the 2 pads above each up-fader to do non essential things just so this won't happen.  I hope this gets addressed in a future model. I love the fact that the S9 has 16 pads instead of 10 on the 62 and now I'm back down to 12. I will say the 12 are way better pads that are bigger an much easier to hit. So thats still a plus.

2. The pad lights are perfect when I'm in my studio mixing my radio show.  But damn they are bright in the club when all the other lighting is low.  Now there is a control option where you can control the brightness, But the mixer comes standard set to the lowest light setting. I wish they and a lower light setting, or more then just 3 options. To be clear, I'm talking about the (Button Light ON).  The button OFF light is not bad. & yes you want it brighter for the on effect.  But its just a bit extreme.

Would also be cool if when you re-midi-map the cue-points, they stay whatever the marker color is in SDJ.  If you re-map them, all the Cue-point just become White. "Matching Cue marker colors" is 1 of the features I like better about the S9 over the 62.  But if you want to customize your mixer, that goes out the window & white also happens to be the brightest color. Ugh.. LOL. 

Last thing on the lights.  The mixer effect select blinking all the time.  Just gets a bit annoying.  Wish there was another option then Blink, to show what effect is selected.

Would be interested to see if this is just a personal problem.. LOL

In closing, I guess no mixer is perfect & you gotta get the mixer that best fits your needs. The Rane seems to be built out of better material, then Pioneer, so it might last longer. Only time will tell. However the pioneer does not cost as much. For me at this point I find the pioneer layout to be more comfortable then the 62 or the 57mk2, And thats coming from a long time Rane guy. Maybe Rane will step it back up with there next release.
Like I said they are good people over there.

As for Pioneer, I hope they can address some of the issues I mentioned. Some can probably be addressed by firmware updates. The pads would take a new version to be released. But anyway thats my 2 cents.
WarpNote 10:55 AM - 17 January, 2016
Personally, I dont have an issue with the faders beeing to close to the pads.
However, I have triggered the cue pads unwillingly when playing withh the fx triggers.

Also, I dont mind the ble blinking lights for the fx toggle. On the cdj2000 however, those flashing warning lights at the end of the track, really hurts my eyes, especially as they contine flashing after the track is STOPPED!

And would love to dim down the cue pad leds for the dark lit club situations.
AKIEM 4:09 PM - 17 January, 2016
On the mkii, I dont do those kinda tricks but I see how the placement of the up faders strange because the led display isn't between them anymore.

That might be a cool mod
lumas13 6:35 PM - 18 January, 2016
I like the bright lights
Asu 9:34 PM - 11 February, 2016
FYI ;

Apple has closed the bug for Rane’s TTM57mkII and MP2015 USB Audio 2.0 Class Compliant devices RADAR 23929871, and has reported that this issue is now fixed in the new El Capitan 10.11.4 Beta #1 build. Our testing here at Rane supports this claim and the asynchronous audio clock adaptation issue appears to be completely resolved in the Public Beta 10.11.4 - Rane.

Other rane gear isn't fixed yet though.
Gio Alex 11:20 PM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:
On the mkii, I dont do those kinda tricks but I see how the placement of the up faders strange because the led display isn't between them anymore.

That might be a cool mod

I still want that FLEX FX footswitch mod you did your your 57. Just sayin'! lol
AKIEM 12:56 AM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That might be a cool mod

do it.

it really is better than people realize... really was a dope mod if I do say so myself...

Im still considering what to do with the MKII - some of its limitations suck, but Im not sure how to go around them yet
Gio Alex 1:01 AM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That might be a cool mod

do it.

it really is better than people realize... really was a dope mod if I do say so myself...

Im still considering what to do with the MKII - some of its limitations suck, but Im not sure how to go around them yet

I dunno how LOL... do you have any pics or the layout?
AKIEM 1:08 AM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That might be a cool mod

do it.

I don't really want to open it to that degree at this point. But it is really pretty simple. What you have to do is find the switch contacts on the underside of the board. Solder wires from there to the footswitch. And set the footswitch up so it closes the switch contacts.

To me its worth taking to an electronics repair dude and explain what you want - its that damn sweet.
Gio Alex 1:10 AM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That might be a cool mod

do it.

I don't really want to open it to that degree at this point. But it is really pretty simple. What you have to do is find the switch contacts on the underside of the board. Solder wires from there to the footswitch. And set the footswitch up so it closes the switch contacts.

To me its worth taking to an electronics repair dude and explain what you want - its that damn sweet.

Ok cool! that's good enough advice. Mom dukes did some electrical engineering so I can deff bug her about that. Good looks.
AKIEM 1:39 AM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That might be a cool mod

do it.

Ok cool! that's good enough advice. Mom dukes did some electrical engineering so I can deff bug her about that. Good looks.

Yup, it really is simple closing the contacts with a different (footswitch). Pretty easy to plot out. Way worth it IMO.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:42 PM - 6 July, 2016
So how is the S9 holding up? Think I might cop one this week as the British Pound is at the lowest.

I've currently got a 62 and SP1, but lately I haven't been taking the SP out as its just another thing to connect.

I plan to retire the 62 to the home studio and get a pair of Super OEMS to sit by it.
ozfrombk 3:26 PM - 7 July, 2016
I've seen the S9 crash live. Twice!
DJ Mr Vince 4:49 PM - 15 July, 2016
Never had an issue. I have 2. 1 in the studio & 1 for the road. Both have worked fine for me with no issue. Still wish they would fix some the minor things I complained about with new firmware. But thats more just things I don't like. Its been working like its suppose to.

Oh wait, I will say I have more issue connecting SDJ to it then I ever had with the Rane. I'm sure thats also a driver or Firmware issue that can be addressed. But ones its connected. No issues. Its random, but sometime U have to restart SDJ to get it to connect. Sometimes it connects on its own. It gets a bit annoying, but again. No issues after that.

One last thing I will say & I don't want to get to techy.. but I think the fader is more accurate do to Pioneer using both MSB & LSB midi vs Rane using only MSB. Without knowing the internal coding its hard to say, But when writing midi code for my apps. I see that the Pioneer outputs a much more accurate midi signal from the faders. Hard to explain but U can google Midi MSB vs LSB. Not sure if thats why, but the fader just feels more accurate. Anyway

good luck with yours when U get it!
05spoof 6:47 PM - 6 September, 2016
Quote:
Never had an issue. I have 2. 1 in the studio & 1 for the road. Both have worked fine for me with no issue. Still wish they would fix some the minor things I complained about with new firmware. But thats more just things I don't like. Its been working like its suppose to.

Oh wait, I will say I have more issue connecting SDJ to it then I ever had with the Rane. I'm sure thats also a driver or Firmware issue that can be addressed. But ones its connected. No issues. Its random, but sometime U have to restart SDJ to get it to connect. Sometimes it connects on its own. It gets a bit annoying, but again. No issues after that.

One last thing I will say & I don't want to get to techy.. but I think the fader is more accurate do to Pioneer using both MSB & LSB midi vs Rane using only MSB. Without knowing the internal coding its hard to say, But when writing midi code for my apps. I see that the Pioneer outputs a much more accurate midi signal from the faders. Hard to explain but U can google Midi MSB vs LSB. Not sure if thats why, but the fader just feels more accurate. Anyway

good luck with yours when U get it!

The connection issues maybe Serato related. Lately I've been having issues with Serato dectecting the 57mk2. Either a Serato reboot will fix it or a 57 power down and turning it back on will get things working again... but it's happening pretty often lately.

Also heads up on firmware 1.1.3 for the mkII. They've fixed the fx problem with it cutting if you disengage the effect before the tale out finished and have added fader control and joystick button delay on or off as well as a midi option in the eq kill switch department.
Spydamonkee 7:52 AM - 24 December, 2016
S9 build like junk will break in 2-3 weeks ,Crossfade feels nice but again wear off easily as well. EQ is terrible ,you will not get same sounds every time you tweak it.Sounds out put is crab.(5V)

57II Stronger build but component is not that quality, usb port will break in short time .it has better output. I don't like Serato DJ tho (mixer don't remember effect setting).Headphone que/master is knob instate of switch which I found not fit in my workflow

to me 57SL wins its Build like a tank (I use it more than 10 years without any problems ,just crossfader replacement for 1 time) Serato dj is Awsome!!! its simple and solid stable.Please bring it back.

I have all of there mixer and I still carry 57SL to all my showcase.
Mr. Goodkat 11:36 PM - 24 December, 2016
quite a few people have used the s9 for more than 2-3 weeks
lumas13 3:42 AM - 25 December, 2016
Been using mine for a year
Tommy Deem 3:48 AM - 25 December, 2016
Quote:
S9 build like junk will break in 2-3 weeks ,Crossfade feels nice but again wear off easily as well. EQ is terrible ,you will not get same sounds every time you tweak it.Sounds out put is crab.(5V)

57II Stronger build but component is not that quality, usb port will break in short time .it has better output. I don't like Serato DJ tho (mixer don't remember effect setting).Headphone que/master is knob instate of switch which I found not fit in my workflow

to me 57SL wins its Build like a tank (I use it more than 10 years without any problems ,just crossfader replacement for 1 time) Serato dj is Awsome!!! its simple and solid stable.Please bring it back.

Where does these guys get this data :D Totally hilarious :D
deejdave 4:36 AM - 25 December, 2016
Quote:
I don't like Serato DJ tho

Quote:
Serato dj is Awsome!!!
Spydamonkee 7:33 PM - 25 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I don't like Serato DJ tho

Quote:
Serato dj is Awsome!!!

Sorry,I mean Scratch live is awesome.
Thanks for point up my mistake.
Spydamonkee 7:47 PM - 25 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Where does these guys get this data :D Totally hilarious :D

I don't get this data from anywhere,Its my direct user experience.
My personal opinion after using all these mixers.I feel that S9 is not for my workflow.Sound quality is not that great .57II is better sounding but still not very good components ,l57sl is always work best for me. For those who loves S9 please don't get offended this is just my opinion.
Rebelguy 8:26 PM - 25 December, 2016
I always thought the sound quality on the 57 wasn't that great.
Dj Rehab 12:45 AM - 26 December, 2016
I have been using the S9 and Serato DJ for over a year. Nothing has broken and SDJ hasn't crashed not even once...
Spydamonkee 11:31 AM - 26 December, 2016
May be I just had bad experiences on S9 and I also dissapointed on brought a 57II ,Thats why I stay with 57sl.
djvtyme85 1:37 PM - 26 December, 2016
i wonder how rough people are on gear for usb ports and mixers to break in 2-3 weeks lol. seriously though i highly doubt the pio s9 is that bad. the 57 cant be either. personally my choice would be the pio s9 bc of the layout. ive gotten used to the larger buttons since using various ddj controllers. i didn't purchase a 57ii or s9 due budget constraints, and settled on the duo mixer.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:08 PM - 27 December, 2016
guy must be pretty brutal with gear.
Culprit 9:54 PM - 27 December, 2016
Quote:
guy must be pretty brutal with gear.

Agreed. User error for sure.

Quote:
I always thought the sound quality on the 57 wasn't that great.

Me too man, i thought it was just me.
Will08272 3:03 PM - 1 May, 2017
After all this time whats been the feelings on the S9, ive been out of the loop on all things DJ'ing check on the threads once in a while but decided to see whats up. Is the S9 still the go to mixer.
Culprit 6:37 PM - 1 May, 2017
I've seen the s9 installed at 3 of my residencies in the past 9 months to give you an idea.
WarpNote 10:49 AM - 2 May, 2017
Still my favourite mixer, although I did bring my 62 last weekend, just for some variation I guess. I am still blown away by the nice sound on the 62 :-D
Mr. Goodkat 9:18 PM - 2 May, 2017
Quote:
Still my favourite mixer, although I did bring my 62 last weekend, just for some variation I guess. I am still blown away by the nice sound on the 62 :-D

im looking for a s9 again but im going to miss that sound
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:14 PM - 2 May, 2017
So the sound from the S9 is not comparable to a Rane?
CMOS 11:17 PM - 2 May, 2017
My S9 is noisy as fuck when theres nothing playing. My old 56 i never turned it off, always leave my monitors on, and i would never hear anything.

The S9 i have to remember to turn the volume down on the speakers as theres a constant hiss and sometimes some rumbling going on.

As for quality the rane sounds flatter the pio is more lively to me. The pio is also way louder than the 56 in my opinion.
Mr. Goodkat 11:54 PM - 2 May, 2017
i saw it more like the s9 sounded flatter, not as mid-dy as the regular pioneer 4 channel mixers.

i think the bass sounds warmer and rounder on the 62 and pretty flat otherwise.

to me, in clubs it helps that the rane is flatter on the higher end, but at the same time the bottom end sometimes is too much ESP when eq'ed for a pioneer mixer, which most clubs are at this time.

Most active pa speakers are naturally mid and high heavy (IMO) so the rane sounds really good with them.

i never really thought the s9 sounded bad in anyway (eq wise) but i do think the 62 sounds better overall. the 900s sound great too, but as i said with bad/record pool mp3s things can get harsh although not necessarily the mixers fault. The 62 tends to get really quiet in the midrange with bad mp3s, so theres that to fight too.
desmorider 11:57 PM - 2 May, 2017
Quote:

My s9 doesn't sound as good as my sixty-two. Sixty-two has a warmer sound to me.
Culprit 3:05 AM - 3 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

My s9 doesn't sound as good as my sixty-two. Sixty-two has a warmer sound to me.

Agreed
WarpNote 7:31 PM - 7 May, 2017
Quote:

Quote:
i think the bass sounds warmer and rounder on the 62 and pretty flat otherwise.

Quote:
Most active pa speakers are naturally mid and high heavy (IMO) so the rane sounds really good with them.

Quote:
i never really thought the s9 sounded bad in anyway (eq wise) but i do think the 62 sounds better overall. the 900s sound great too,

I agree with Goodcat, the S9 does sound good Imo, but a tad bit harsher and not as "warm" as the 62. The 62 has that kind of smooth feel to the sound. Im Sorry I cant explain it more clearly... ;-)
Joshua Carl 3:46 AM - 8 May, 2017
True story

A few weeks I had the sound guy at the venue tell me I no longer could use the 62.
They had bought and tuned their system to a s9

We had our standard jabs back and forth over the sound...

The owner, a friend. I hit up and he said.
Nah, bring your 62. It's fine.

So that night I get in early and do the swap.
From across the room, the sound tech is giving me the go louder, usual routine we do to set the overhead on his off.

I had purposely set the mids and hi's to 2 o'clock and pushes my gain to the ultimate limit before red lights.

I get a txt message from him.
"See, doesn't the s9 sound so much better"

I sent him back a picture of the mixer.
He went right to the owner and he stayed off my floor the entire night.
Will08272 10:37 PM - 8 June, 2017
For owners of the S9 unless someone can answer if they have tried it, can you run two different programs using both usb's from the mixer to the same computer.
Culprit 7:07 AM - 9 June, 2017
Quote:
For owners of the S9 unless someone can answer if they have tried it, can you run two different programs using both usb's from the mixer to the same computer.

I believe so the other card is a soundcard. Should work with other programs as an output.
djvtyme85 1:28 AM - 29 June, 2017
yes you can run another program with the other usb. i've done it on the SZ as well because the soundcards are independent
DJ dVO 2:48 PM - 6 July, 2017
For those using TTM67MKII, have you had a sound drop upon connecting the USB and running SDJ?

Here was my situation: I was using the mixer to listen to my records. When I had enough, I wanted to use the DVS so I plugged in the USB and started SDJ. I got a sound drop and at times, the best was a quick drop in sound and then back on. This is on firmware 1.20 according to Serato DJ driver and updates. I find this defeat the purpose of an easy transition between DJs. Please tell me this is not normal....

Thoughts?