Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Stem File Format in Serato DJ

'G' Apnoea 12:19 PM - 24 July, 2015
Hi,

I see NI have introduced the Stem File format which opens up so many more remix/experimentation possibilities on the fly. The demo I saw was brilliant, being able to strip a tune down within Traktor software. I believe it's open sourced format.

Is this something Serato are going to implement into it's software and in conjunction with hardware manufacturers as well?...It looks and sounds amazing and I want this feature so much in Serato.

Look forward to your reply

Thanks
G
Pop-I 8:29 PM - 24 July, 2015
The format is open-source yes. Really looking forward to playing with stems. (And really hope Serato wont be late for the party here).
Christ beats I. 1:08 PM - 27 July, 2015
....already late Serato...come on ...your punters are waiting!
Christ beats I. 9:21 AM - 28 July, 2015
Reloop could be the first here if Serato go for this. Reloop could release another Neon with the additional 4 faders to operate stems. Maybe run them underneath or above or on the side of the pads.
Pop-I 9:24 AM - 28 July, 2015
Since Serato has such a good and simple system for learning midi I am allready ready with my AKAI APC20.
Christ beats I. 11:19 AM - 28 July, 2015
There's an idea....
Christ beats I. 11:25 AM - 28 July, 2015
Quote:
Since Serato has such a good and simple system for learning midi I am allready ready with my AKAI APC20.

Could you midi map the Akai a pc mini?
Pop-I 11:34 AM - 28 July, 2015
I dont see why not. For stems you can have the first 8 faders. The master fader to the master-sampler gain. And you can have the buttons for samples, cue-points, flip etc.

For now I use my apc20 with the 4 upper rows for cues and flips
row 5 for sampler-trigging and switching banks

The faders and buttons just above I now use for controlling serato video. (But will switch to stems-control as soon its supported.
deejdave 1:51 AM - 30 July, 2015
If it does happen it will probably go like most other releases. Native Pioneer first, other native devices, then lastly the ability to midi map your own generic gear.
David Wallin 6:33 AM - 4 August, 2015
Yes! We need this!
...and a Stems tab in the Serato iPad remote for the extra faders and stuff.
DJ-Sven 6:36 AM - 4 August, 2015
Yes, this would be very nice new Feature!!!
Big Pops 3:51 AM - 5 August, 2015
+ 1 for Stems it open a new door for live use
Oscar C 4:17 AM - 12 August, 2015
Quote:
Yes! We need this!

Brilliant idea David Wallin!!! Best suggestion yet to get Serato on-board quickly.
David Wallin 6:46 AM - 12 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Yes! We need this!

Brilliant idea David Wallin!!! Best suggestion yet to get Serato on-board quickly.

Thanks Oscar! :-)
djmarcus2009 5:06 PM - 12 August, 2015
YES PLEASE!!! I want the stems feature too (stems tab).Will there be a software that converts all (my) existing mp3 files to stem files ?
Marv Incredible 8:08 PM - 12 August, 2015
Quote:
Will there be a software that converts all (my) existing mp3 files to stem files ?

You're quick to ask for it but your post suggests you don't actually understand how it works.
djmarcus2009 9:06 PM - 12 August, 2015
Please elaborate as to why I don't understand how it works ?
deejdave 10:02 PM - 12 August, 2015
Quote:
Please elaborate as to why I don't understand how it works ?

Because what you are suggesting is impossible. A stem file is simply a lot of four files combined into one. There is no software that could just pull out randomly the sounds you would personally want and turn it into what you would want.
djmarcus2009 11:59 PM - 12 August, 2015
Quote:
Because what you are suggesting is impossible. A stem file is simply a lot of four files combined into one. There is no software that could just pull out randomly the sounds you would personally want and turn it into what you would want.

Well deejdave you need to research before saying "you don't actually understand how it works".
The soon to be released stem creator tool will just do that. Not only will you be able to prepare four musical elements as separate audio files import them into the stem creator tool adjust the compression and hit export and so creating a new high quality stem.mp4 file ready for creative mixing, but also you will be able to take your mp3s into a wave editor or DAW along with a stereo master of the whole track. Once imported, metadata like stem name, album title, and stem color can be edited. Then master compression and limiting can be applied to all stems for balanced playback. After compression and limiting is adjusted, the stem creator tool exports and packs the stems into a single stem.mp4 file.
And it is pleasing to know that a NI support agent just confirmed the above information.
deejdave 12:41 AM - 13 August, 2015
Well djmarcus2009 first off I didn't say that.

Second: You can have software separate by frequency or whatever but that is not the glory of stems. To have a acapella on one "stem" the bassline on another, the hi hats on another. THIS is the point of stems and no software will be able to divide this.
Quote:
Will there be a software that converts all (my) existing mp3 files to stem files ?

YES sure you can simply convert your MPS'3 AS IS into stem files (otherwise known as MP4's) but why would you want to do this and what is the gain?

You are basically asking is there software that can strip a song of the acapella (or any other element) then go the extra mile of dividing four parts THEN combining it all into one (or at least this is what I am hoping you are asking for otherwise what you are asking for is pointless) and the answer to this is NO that is not what the stem creator does.

KEY PART FOUR PARTS. Are there four parts to your MP3's. If there are then you are good to go.
djmarcus2009 2:14 AM - 13 August, 2015
Quote:
Well djmarcus2009 first off I didn't say that.

Second: You can have software separate by frequency or whatever but that is not the glory of stems. To have a acapella on one "stem" the bassline on another, the hi hats on another. THIS is the point of stems and no software will be able to divide this.
Quote:

YES sure you can simply convert your MPS'3 AS IS into stem files (otherwise known as MP4's) but why would you want to do this and what is the gain?

You are basically asking is there software that can strip a song of the acapella (or any other element) then go the extra mile of dividing four parts THEN combining it all into one (or at least this is what I am hoping you are asking for otherwise what you are asking for is pointless) and the answer to this is NO that is not what the stem creator does.

KEY PART FOUR PARTS. Are there four parts to your MP3's. If there are then you are good to go.

First off deejdave we are not on the same "wave form". I am moving on from this.
I was only expressing my excitement about stems and the future it holds in OUR dj world, and I believe I made my point. My mission here is to HELP the SERATO community, not RESIST it.
Now,
1. Yes deejdave you did say, quote"You're quick to ask for it but your post suggests you don't actually understand how it works".
2. I simply trust my source at NI, not you. Being in this industry for almost 30 years I am beyond stoked about stems and what they are bringing to us djs/producers.
djmarcus2009 2:18 AM - 13 August, 2015
...I see now, that comment came from Marv Incredible...moving on :)
deejdave 2:19 AM - 13 August, 2015
Quote:
You're quick to ask for it but your post suggests you don't actually understand how it works.

THIS was Marv Incredible.

"Marv Incredible 4:08 PM - 12 August, 2015"

When there is a name next to words it means the person (who's name is included in the same areas as said words) said it.

LOOOOOOK UP ^^^^^^^^^ about six posts.
djmarcus2009 2:20 AM - 13 August, 2015
yes i just said that YOU LOOK uP
deejdave 2:25 AM - 13 August, 2015
We got a live one here ^^^^ I am passing him back to you Marv..................
Marv Incredible 2:25 AM - 13 August, 2015
Dude, slow your roll. It was me who you're quoting, not Dave at all.

And, although it was blunt and possibly offensive, I still stand by what I said.

I happen to think stems are an interesting idea, but I've been finding it interesting to see most people asking for it (some even saying it's a MUST-HAVE) seem to be asking for asking's sake. And then you came along and asked for something that pretty much proved you haven't fully grasped the concept yet (putting the cart before the horse as they say, or running before you can walk is another common term).

Your follow-up post further reinforces this point as you had to copy/paste some text from elsewhere and even then showed you hadn't fully read and understood that either.
The fact you're now quoting Dave instead of me and that you appear to be very defensive and slightly aggresive also demonstrates that same hot-headed rashness.

So I say again..please..slow your roll. I'm glad there's interest in stems and I'm personally keen to hear more about how DJs intend to use them, especially in Serato, so if you can present a bit more of a case, it might stand more chance of being adopted sooner.

:)

p.s. apologies to dave for the mistaken identity - poor dude was only trying to help lol
djmarcus2009 2:35 AM - 13 August, 2015
ok DUDE, sorry for that, btw you are coming across as offensive, arrogant and know it all. what a waste of my time, I am staying out of these forums and deal with Serato directly, like I have in the past and be HAPPY!
So looking forward to stems.
:) :) :)
Marv Incredible 3:19 AM - 13 August, 2015
Let's not derail the thread. Most of that fuss was caused by MY reaction to YOUR comment. I could have put it a better way and perhaps you'd have taken it more constructively if I had, so let's leave it at that. I wouldn't like to see you avoid the forums because of this but if you are gonna stick around, you're going to need a slightly thicker skin. I might have been blunt, but my point was you're asking for a feature without seemingly understanding how it works. I was going to go into more detail but by the time I got back to the computer, you'd turned into a bit of an argument.

Anyway, Dave has now explained stems in detail so if you actually take on board what he's said, you'll have learned a bit more about how stems work and can look forward to them even more.

Peace, I'm out.
maarawoe 8:18 AM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
YES PLEASE!!! I want the stems feature too (stems tab).Will there be a software that converts all (my) existing mp3 files to stem files ?

Man you made my day :-DDD
I hope there will be a software that converts all my movies to separate actors again, just to second your request.... :-D

No really, please think before posting because your knowledge about the sound and sound files is obviously terribly lacking...
Pop-I 8:26 AM - 17 August, 2015
Anyway...

Lets not derail this thread. We need Serato to implement support for Stems, or some of us might go over to using "that other software"...
deejdave 2:51 AM - 25 August, 2015
Just a heads up for anyone interested the stem creator beta is now available. Not that this is any surprise but there is absolutely no way to use this to convert MP3 files in any way. As a matter of fact the stem file creator tool can't even read MP3's!!!! LOL

The tool takes FOUR files and stores them into ONE MP4 file. This is ONE WAY and NOT the other way around.

The good news is STEMS are making quite the impression and even landed a spot on national news in the UK www.bbc.com so IMO this may shed some hope that this may someday be supported by Serato. IF it is I am sure it will be handled in the same manner.

Keep in mind that having ANY software simply strip a song of lyrics, synths, etc. in a manner in which it can be used professionally is impossible so it is not like this could have ever been a reality anyways so lets be realistic with our expectations.

I have been having some good fun with the S8 and my STEMS library is building by the day (literally) so I am a strong +1 in hopes that this becomes a reality with my favorite software. For anyone thinking of using Traktor I say Why Not use both? It is best to be fluent in as many DJ applications as possible anyways and with Rekord Buddy coming right around the corner having a universal library is not too far off. Best to get the practice in NOW!!
HarryJ 4:47 AM - 26 August, 2015
Also have a Traktor S4 / F1 set up and played with a stems the last few days. Pretty awesome. Serious game changer, when you can take elements of a song and effect them , or just filter or fade them in and out. Beatport has a lot of new releases available in STEM format. I'd love to get some classic tracks re-released in stem format, would be awesome.

More awesome if Serato embraced this new open format..
Davideon 5:50 AM - 26 August, 2015
Quote:
ok DUDE, sorry for that, btw you are coming across as offensive, arrogant and know it all. what a waste of my time, I am staying out of these forums and deal with Serato directly, like I have in the past and be HAPPY!
So looking forward to stems.
:) :) :)

Before you go, do you know of anything that can take a pot of pink paint and turn it into one white and one red?
05spoof 1:30 PM - 9 September, 2015
+ 1

I would suggest adding flip options to the stems. For example mute and unmute tracks independently, censor the vocals, or reverse the drums within the stem. This way If someone wanted to, they could create their own Intro/Outro's to tracks. Then there wouldn't be a need to have multiple version's (clean, dirty, mixshow, acapella, acapella intro, and instrumental) of a song in the library. That one stem could handle all of that with flips.
deejdave 1:26 AM - 10 September, 2015
Seems Flow (by MIK) has stepped into the STEMS format game flowdj.com anyone try it out yet? I am about to make the purchase.
Davideon 6:25 AM - 10 September, 2015
Quote:
Seems Flow (by MIK) has stepped into the STEMS format game flowdj.com anyone try it out yet? I am about to make the purchase.

Please do. After the laughable performance I experienced buying the last mik product I'm steering well clear
deejdave 9:05 PM - 10 September, 2015
I am actually waiting to hear from literally ANYONE who has used to see how it is before I purchase. TBH though with Pioneers HUGE announcements today I think I may hold off anyways. I could only guess Rekordbox DJ will dive into stems before Serato.
Davideon 5:54 AM - 11 September, 2015
Yup. Just watched the official intro video for the controllers and I'm very impressed. I was very sceptical initially. Serato need to move
Davideon 6:03 PM - 15 September, 2015
Quote:
I am actually waiting to hear from literally ANYONE who has used to see how it is before I purchase. TBH though with Pioneers HUGE announcements today I think I may hold off anyways. I could only guess Rekordbox DJ will dive into stems before Serato.

I just got the email about it and it seems interesting. The dynamic mixing function seems pointless as hot cues exist for a reason.

I'm liking the fact it's mapped to most controllers meaning I can use it with my sz.

I might well buy it
deejdave 12:09 AM - 16 September, 2015
I purchased it yesterday and already got rid of it LOL. TBH The entire software is pointless. Their largest selling points are the biggest jokes. 8 DECKS at one time!!!! Why?

Hate to say it as I really like Chad and Yakov over there. MIK has been great (for key purposes LOL) but I really have no use for Flow8Deck. BTW It worked like a dream with my N.I. hardware (S8, X1, etc.) but could not get my Pioneer gear working.
Davideon 7:41 AM - 16 September, 2015
Ok. Glad I didn't waste more money
DJ Quartz 1:02 PM - 18 February, 2016
+1 for Stems....

From a production/remix p.o.v. it would be awesome!
Mr Wilks 10:18 AM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
+1 for Stems....

From a production/remix p.o.v. it would be awesome!

I also +1 this too. I have fun with Stems and to have it in SDJ would be amazing.
Pop-I 4:30 PM - 20 February, 2016
Why the fuck is Serato not adressing this...

This pushed me over to traktor if I want to play my own productions. (and that is all the time).

Mr Wilks 4:53 PM - 20 February, 2016
Quote:
Why the fuck is Serato not adressing this...

This pushed me over to traktor if I want to play my own productions. (and that is all the time).

Maybe because Native Instruments haven't released the developers kit yet?

www.stems-music.com

Anyone that has Stems already (DJ Player/Flow) have either reverse engineered or hacked away unofficially. Serato COULD do this buy it's not really regarded professional or respectful by a company.

Once NI has the tools out there officially then we can start to press harder for support. Until then we can just put a +1 here to show Serato how many of us want it.
Pop-I 11:01 AM - 24 February, 2016
He he OK OK

You are right mr. Wilks. I am just really really impatient. (And have a feeling that playing Serato with stems will be better than playing Traktor with stems)
deejdave 11:40 AM - 24 February, 2016
Not gonna lie traktor has that shit down! Have you seen the last update?
Pop-I 11:46 AM - 24 February, 2016
Yeah,

Played around with it yesterday. Pretty sweet.

But I really miss Serato still.
And Serato Video. Im gonna try out MixEmergency now.
Mr Wilks 2:50 PM - 24 February, 2016
I'm liking the update lots.

Honestly, after being a Serato user since 2008 I think I'll actually start taking the S8 out with me as my main rig as the SX is dying a slow death.

These Stems are so much fun and the controller just enhances that 'Twitch' feel I still miss to this day.

Quote:
(And have a feeling that playing Serato with stems will be better than playing Traktor with stems)

100% agreed. It will be a great day when (if) we see it!
Joe Fresh 5:36 AM - 25 February, 2016
+1 on Stems support, would be really cool to live-remix parts of different tracks together.
Pop-I 5:58 PM - 9 May, 2016
YES! NI finally released the API

No more excuses for Serato to start development for support of stems
cjw296 4:09 PM - 20 August, 2017
A year later, any news from Serato?
Cyber Sounds 2:46 AM - 15 September, 2017
i guess not, I'm still waiting for stems to come to serato, whats the hold up. stems being out since 2014-15. we are in 2017. come on serato don't get left behind. i'm using the hpf and lpf to mimic the stem, but the stem is better.
DJ Gerhard 5:26 PM - 25 July, 2022
Any update on stems it's 2022?
Cyber Sounds 2:39 AM - 26 July, 2022
It seems like serato is out of the race, and being left behind. I thought by now they would have been ahead of the DJ software race, but they giving the lead to DJPRO with there neutral mix features. Serato need to listen the DJ,s who are using the software and telling them what we need to make it better and stay in lead. Other DJ software developers are listening an giving the DJ’s what they want. Serato you better get with the program or you will lose alot of business to the other developers.