DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ'ing to cope with loss..

popnwave 12:30 AM - 21 July, 2015
Anyone here used their sets to work through a loss in their life?

I've had nights over the years when I was playing every Thursday, that I certainly dealt with the loss of a friend or loved one. A certain catharsis when playing music that reminded me of them. Sometimes bringing tears but with a giant smile on my face.

Today I put down a dog of mine, that I'd had for 14 years, seen many an ex girlfriend and even an ex wife. I'm not even sure in the case of a damn animal what I'd play, LOL. But I certainly wish I was on the decks somewhere tonight to play out to a dance floor.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:01 AM - 21 July, 2015
Sorry for your loss. Just play at home and let loose.
popnwave 2:15 AM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Sorry for your loss. Just play at home and let loose.

That's the plan for tonight!
Mike_P 2:27 AM - 21 July, 2015
It's the best therapy ever. I've lost both parents and my first born son and if I weren't DJing I would've offed myself a long time ago.
DJ Reflex 2:45 AM - 21 July, 2015
Best therapy ever! Getting me through a marriage separation right now!
latindj 3:41 AM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Best therapy ever! Getting me through a marriage separation right now!

Party!!! :-)

It's gotten me through 2 divorces.
 6 4:48 AM - 21 July, 2015
Music is good therapy. Just don't play Who Let The Dogs Out if he got ran over by a car. :-P

nm
nathans1 6:59 AM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Music is good therapy. Just don't play Who Let The Dogs Out if he got ran over by a car. :-P

nm

Haha! Too soon?
latindj 2:39 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:

nm

Ouch. That hurt.
popnwave 7:25 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:

nm

LOL!
Joee 7:43 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:

nm

you have no shame…….lol
 6 7:46 PM - 21 July, 2015
Hey... laughter is the best medicine. :)

nm
Joee 7:48 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Hey... laughter is the best medicine. :)

nm

yea…seems like you got him to do just that
dj jamalot 8:07 PM - 21 July, 2015
Atomic Dog Bow wow wow yippee yo yippie yea...
HighTopFade 8:31 PM - 21 July, 2015
My dog was home euthanized just last week. Right when the vet said the heart stopped beating, I played James Taylor You've Got A Friend.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:16 PM - 21 July, 2015
Dmx..

WHERE MY DAWWWWGS AT WHOOF WOOF

......oh ya..I know where hes at....frowny face :(
Joee 9:34 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Dmx..

man what wrong with you?

you know damn well DMX don't do no "WHOOF WOOF"

he be like…….arhhhhggg ARFFH ARFFH
DJMark 10:22 PM - 21 July, 2015
Bow wow wow yippee yo yippee yay

/cut/

and they call it, puppy looooveeee....
popnwave 2:27 AM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:
My dog was home euthanized just last week. Right when the vet said the heart stopped beating, I played James Taylor You've Got A Friend.

Oh lawd.

No background music when I did had it done. Glad I stayed through it though, I'd hate myself if I had just dropped her off and let them do it.

How much did the the home visit cost you? It was like 2x taking her to the vet here in Reno.
HighTopFade 4:08 AM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Oh lawd.

No background music when I did had it done. Glad I stayed through it though, I'd hate myself if I had just dropped her off and let them do it.

How much did the the home visit cost you? It was like 2x taking her to the vet here in Reno.

$600. $250 of it was to get the ashes back. Standard mass cremation is $150. My sister had her dog done at home for $450 with ashes. I'm guessing everything is more expensive in San Francisco vs Los Angeles.
popnwave 11:40 AM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh lawd.

$600. $250 of it was to get the ashes back. Standard mass cremation is $150. My sister had her dog done at home for $450 with ashes. I'm guessing everything is more expensive in San Francisco vs Los Angeles.

Yeah I didn't do the ashes or any other reminders, kept her bowl and collar together and that was enough for us. I know getting those services ring up the $$$ pretty quick but that sounds about right to do it "right" at home and not get some shady service that gives you some generic ashes you have not idea the source of.

Thanks for sharing though, interesting to see what the market for that is like.
DJ Reflex 12:12 AM - 23 July, 2015
Quote:
Dmx..

4.bp.blogspot.com

Yup, ol' Scruffy is up there with Dom DeLuise and Burt Renolds!
DJMark 12:31 AM - 23 July, 2015
Watchwww.youtube.com

Yes, in very poor taste.