Off-topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Grandmaster Flash or "Fraud" pt2

AKIEM 9:26 PM - 20 July, 2015
According to KRS and many other people Grandmaster Flash invented the Cross Fader.

youtu.be 2:00

But I've never seen a video clip of him making that claim. And I've never read a quote of him saying that specifically.

youtu.be

It almost sounds like he is making that claim, but i dont think so.

Does Flash actually claim he invented the cross fader or is his story of modifying his mixer just being musunderstood and mythologized?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:33 PM - 20 July, 2015
Quote:
Does Flash actually claim he invented the cross fader or is his story of modifying his mixer just being musunderstood and mythologized?

KRS Mistated what Flash did.

Flash has always said he invented the "Peek-A-Boo" cueing system. Never said anything about creating the "Crossfader" for output...

smh.
AKIEM 9:42 PM - 20 July, 2015
Yup. The secondary misunderstanding that goes along with that is Flash invented the Cue System.
It actually already existed, just not on his mixer.

Not to take anything away from Flash for everything he did actually invent.

Whats crazy is further in that Kris video he claims Flash was using the switch to mix with... dead in the center? No possible way...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:14 PM - 20 July, 2015
So basically it's someone else interpreting what Flash did incorrectly.
AKIEM 10:42 PM - 20 July, 2015
Been vexed about it because the way i understood it and a gang of places ive read it online and in books is he invented it.

So it had me looking dumb. Then i came across this KRS lecture recently where hes telling the same wrong info.

Now im wondering if Flash is just sittibg back knowing all these people have it wrong and just not correcting it?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:53 PM - 20 July, 2015
Quote:
Now im wondering if Flash is just sittibg back knowing all these people have it wrong and just not correcting it?

I'd say that's a reach.....

Has anybody actively brought this to his attention?

BTW, in the grand scheme of things, who would REALLY care except SOME DJ's?

Those who know "Know" and aren't making a big deal about it, however I did see a rant from Rob Swift mentioning it, but that's about it...
AKIEM 11:02 PM - 20 July, 2015
It might not be a huge deal, but if you are teaching a class or a lecture you want to be correct.

So its been out there that way for dwcades even. In that time no ones interviewed and asked him derectly? "So can you tell me the story about inventing the cross fader?"

Eh
AKIEM 11:04 PM - 20 July, 2015
Oh but what if I let stories run around as I "invented" the TTM57?

RZA invented Serato...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:10 AM - 21 July, 2015
Bruh, you sounding real jealous right about now.....

Don't know why, it's GMF....

But for entertainments sake -

Let's say Flash himself DID hit KRS after that vid aired...and corrected him...

What's supposed to happen now?

Is KRS supposed to create a FOLLOW UP vid saying he corrected the class?

Does he just correct his lecture going forward with NO vid to prove he changed his ways?

Or is Flash HIMSELF supposed to make a vid correcting EVERYBODY that says something inaccurate about him?

Hey, he MIGHT know this is going on and think it's no big deal... or "relishing" in the mixup as it may make his accomplishments seem larger...

Regardless, HE didn't say it, so.....
AKIEM 3:02 AM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Bruh, you sounding real jealous right about now.....

Don't know why, it's GMF....

Huh? I cant imagine why you think i would be jealous of GMF the originator of the entire artform

Im completely lost on that one.

Quote:

But for entertainments sake -

Let's say Flash himself DID hit KRS after that vid aired...and corrected him...

What's supposed to happen now?

Is KRS supposed to create a FOLLOW UP vid saying he corrected the class?

Does he just correct his lecture going forward with NO vid to prove he changed his ways?

Or is Flash HIMSELF supposed to make a vid correcting EVERYBODY that says something inaccurate about him?

Hey, he MIGHT know this is going on and think it's no big deal... or "relishing" in the mixup as it may make his accomplishments seem larger...

Regardless, HE didn't say it, so.....

What im saying is this myth has been around for decades - and in that time my guess is he heard about it, and my guess is he has been asked about it.

Im interested in the HISTORICAL information. Im not saying anything should be taken from him / matter of fact, i think he deserves more praise and fame than he gets.

Oh i see, because i used myself as an example.... just didnt think of another situation...

Im interested in the science of what happened not the myth. Nothing more nothing less.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:16 AM - 21 July, 2015
I've ALWAYS heard he made the "Peek-A-Boo" thing....and slipmats...

Quote:
and in that time my guess is he heard about it, and my guess is he has been asked about it.

And what should HE have done about that again?
AKIEM 5:02 AM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
I've ALWAYS heard he made the "Peek-A-Boo" thing....and slipmats...

Yeah he modified his mixer to add a Cue System. But cue systems already existed, he was watching Pete Jones use headphones.

Quote:

Quote:
and in that time my guess is he heard about it, and my guess is he has been asked about it.

And what should HE have done about that again?

Correct the story if/when it come up. Whicb maybe he does - i dk t know, bur ivw never heard it.

Its like probably some young dudes aint know you were recreating The Adventures. If they was asking you about it and you for whatever reason did not mention Flash created it - is that correct?
RogerRabbit 5:08 AM - 21 July, 2015
Wait, AKIEM, don't tell me you out here trying to be the Hannibal Buress for GMF...
This is the second thread.
AKIEM 5:20 AM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Wait, AKIEM, don't tell me you out here trying to be the Hannibal Buress for GMF...
This is the second thread.

I have no ide what that means.

I was goin to make one about Herc too. Theres a video where he is showing his 'merry-go-round' technique wheres hes cutting and blending on beat. But my understanding is he wasnt originally keeping the beat like that...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:19 AM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Correct the story if/when it come up. Whicb maybe he does - i dk t know, bur ivw never heard it.

So because SOMEONE ELSE got it wrong, he's supposed to send out Public Service Announcements to correct SOMEONE ELSE'S error?

Who has time to do that? Assuming he knows of EVERY instance of when the story is retold incorrectly...

I can see if HE is the person saying this stuff, but HE'S not...

If someone asked him directly about the scenario, of COURSE he should be truthful, but WHO'S asking?

Quote:
Its like probably some young dudes aint know you were recreating The Adventures. If they was asking you about it and you for whatever reason did not mention Flash created it - is that correct?

Absolutely not. If someone is ASKING ME about it, I'd be truthful all day.

How do you know someone is actually bringing this to his attention, AND that he's not informing them on the spot when it comes up?

Just because some kid may mistake ME for being the originator of the routine and I have the chance to correct THEM on the spot, doesn't mean that I NEED to post a follow up Video for all those potential cats that aren't reading where I said I was "Recreating" the routine...or just aren't paying attention in general.

That's some paranoid type sh*t, and a little EXTRA if you ask me, because it's making the assumption that you think your vid is sooooooo dope that everyone has seen it, and now thinks this....and you need to correct it....

No, cats just need to pay attention....and again, the ONLY cats who would really CARE are other DJ's.....
AKIEM 6:26 AM - 21 July, 2015
Im just going to fix some typos and bold the part that answered all your questions before you asked.

Quote:
Quote:
Correct the story if/when it comes up. Which maybe he does - I don't know, maybe he never heard of it.

So because SOMEONE ELSE got it wrong, he's supposed to send out Public Service Announcements to correct SOMEONE ELSE'S error?

Who has time to do that? Assuming he knows of EVERY instance of when the story is retold incorrectly...

I can see if HE is the person saying this stuff, but HE'S not...

If someone asked him directly about the scenario, of COURSE he should be truthful, but WHO'S asking?

Quote:

Absolutely not. If someone is ASKING ME about it, I'd be truthful all day.

How do you know someone is actually bringing this to his attention, AND that he's not informing them on the spot when it comes up?

Just because some kid may mistake ME for being the originator of the routine and I have the chance to correct THEM on the spot, doesn't mean that I NEED to post a follow up Video for all those potential cats that aren't reading where I said I was "Recreating" the routine...or just aren't paying attention in general.

That's some paranoid type sh*t, and a little EXTRA if you ask me, because it's making the assumption that you think your vid is sooooooo dope that everyone has seen it, and now thinks this....and you need to correct it....

No, cats just need to pay attention....and again, the ONLY cats who would really CARE are other DJ's.....

right. So i dont know if he is letting that missinfo ride or not.... Maybe he is, maybe hes not. I do t know....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:35 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
right. So i dont know if he is letting that misinfo ride or not.... Maybe he is, maybe hes not. I do t know....

Why do you care?

I'm being serious here...
AKIEM 4:17 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Im interested in the HISTORICAL information.

Im interested in the science of what happened not the myth. Nothing more nothing less.

Quote:
Quote:
right. So i dont know if he is letting that misinfo ride or not.... Maybe he is, maybe hes not. I do t know....

Why do you care?

I'm being serious here...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:32 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Im interested in the HISTORICAL information.

So AGAIN, if you KNOW the MYTH "has been around for decades"...

WHY are you concerning yourself with it?

You know just like I KNOW what GMF said...

Why are you worried about what he might NOT have said?
 6 7:46 PM - 21 July, 2015
Too damn worried about another black man...

Kinda like this guy and Cosby. hahahaha

nm
DJ Remix Detroit 8:53 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:

Kinda like this guy and Cosby. hahahaha

nm
lmao
AKIEM 10:04 PM - 21 July, 2015
lol - so now i cant like history?

Shit these hoes come at me with, yup i like the history of djing. I might make three posts in a row, spell some shit wrong..... smh

lol @ what they resort to around here...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:29 PM - 21 July, 2015
lmao.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:44 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:

Wow....

JUST LIKE YOU WERE, when I wasn't even ON the board anymore, but you kept gargling my name???

lol...

My return is ENTIRELY because you clicked your heels three times!
 6 11:44 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Wow....

JUST LIKE YOU WERE, when I wasn't even ON the board anymore, but you kept gargling my name???

lol...

My return is ENTIRELY because you clicked your heels three times!

It's good to know I have that power over you. I've been having it since how long now? lol

I'm like your master. :)

nm
DJ Remix Detroit 11:45 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
I'm like your master. :)

bwahahahahahaha!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:48 PM - 21 July, 2015
Yep, it's good to know that I occupy that much space in between your ears...

Actually, that's "kinda creepy"....lol.
 6 11:53 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:

Hey... you're the one here posting

ON YOUR VACATION!!!!

hahahaha

NM
 6 11:53 PM - 21 July, 2015
... AND THIS GUY SAID...

"I only post so much because I"m at work" or some shit like that.

hahahaha

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:59 PM - 21 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Hey... you're the one here posting

ON YOUR VACATION!!!!

hahahaha

NM

We know it's hard for you to comprehend, but I'll say it slower...

I'M
ON
VACA
SHUN.

lol
 6 12:01 AM - 22 July, 2015
yeah.. go back to visiting your in-laws a third time in

North Carolina

hahahaha

nm
DJ Remix Detroit 12:02 AM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:
I'M
ON
VACA
SHUN.

translation: ya'll got me so mad, instead of spending time with my family, i'm on serato forums trying to get back at ya'll.
 6 12:04 AM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I'M
ON
VACA
SHUN.

translation: ya'll got me so mad, instead of spending time with my family, i'm on serato forums trying to get back at ya'll.

truth! hahaha
 6 12:06 AM - 22 July, 2015
Over here Johnny!!!!!

*while on vacation* hahahaha
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:14 AM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:

Oh, is THAT what you think?

Didn't I say I was here (at home) paying some bills, etc, and just got back from taking a SWIM?

lmao @ y'all thinking I'M IN NC typing to you...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:15 AM - 22 July, 2015
lmao...

Idiots
 6 12:20 AM - 22 July, 2015
hahaha. Changing his story now.

it took you 20 minutes to come up with that one

hahaha
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:28 AM - 22 July, 2015
LMAO you not being able to READ AND COMPREHEND....lol...
 6 12:30 AM - 22 July, 2015
U mad. :)

Go back to your "vacation" on the forum

hahaha
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:36 AM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:

hahaha

LOL @ your non readin' azz...

I'm actually surprised that you can spell tho...
DJ Remix Detroit 12:39 AM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

hahaha

LOL @ your non readin' azz...

I'm actually surprised that you can spell tho...

i3.kym-cdn.com
 6 12:48 AM - 22 July, 2015
"I'm actually surprised that you can spell tho..."

azz

Can't make this shit up

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:52 AM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:
"I'm actually surprised that you can spell tho..."

azz

Can't make this shit up

nm

Well I am.

And you're pretty good at punctuation....

Not typical according to ya boy....

lmao.
 6 1:05 AM - 22 July, 2015
It's not very difficult to type properly if you have a good education.

According to common sense that is. :P

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:16 PM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:
It's not very difficult to type properly if you have a good education.

According to common sense that is. :P

nm

I agree...

Again not typical for ...well...you... :-)
 6 8:18 PM - 22 July, 2015
You're funny Carolina

lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:00 PM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:
You're funny Carolina

lol

And you know the difference between your and you're? Man, you certainly don't fit the profile! Salute!
 6 11:38 PM - 22 July, 2015
lmao!

Carolina the monkey is dancing for me again. :)

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:02 AM - 23 July, 2015
Quote:
lmao!

nm

There you go again with the "wetness"...

Drippin' all over the place....

Not a good look fam.
 6 5:51 AM - 23 July, 2015
See? I can make you dance even while on vacation!

hahahaha

And, the only wet one was you yesterday.... hahahaha

nm
DJ Remix Detroit 12:14 PM - 23 July, 2015
Quote:
You're funny Carolina

lol

lol... Johnny Carolina....good one 6
DJ Remix Detroit 12:18 PM - 23 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
lmao!

nm

There you go again with the "wetness"...

Drippin' all over the place....

Not a good look fam.

ummmmm.....that's a pretty gay comment.... not a good look.... you need to click that x Carolina
 6 2:57 PM - 23 July, 2015
Carolina... that just fits him. hahahaha

nm
AKIEM 11:00 PM - 23 July, 2015
Quote:
Ladies ladies stop fighting! We all know that Grandmaster Jay is really the one who invented the crossfader

lol
JpNahle 4:11 PM - 22 December, 2015
[post removed]
AKIEM 5:38 PM - 22 December, 2015
Guaranteed this mfs mix sounds like trash.
Mr. Goodkat 12:24 AM - 13 March, 2016
www.msnbc.com

grandmaster 6:25