Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Next for SDJ >>> 1.7.7, 1.8 or 2.0

musiclee 2:47 PM - 11 July, 2015
Now that 1.7.6 is here...

What kind of upgrade can we expect next?
When will it arrive?
And what's in store for us?

Serato,
Please make your loyal customers ecstatic!!!
It's been a while..
Davideon 3:38 PM - 11 July, 2015
I don't understand the obsession people have with the next update
Deejay Steve 3:50 PM - 11 July, 2015
+1 BBD, I don't understand either. To make me ecstatic a rock solid version which doesn't drop sound, doesn't crash, writes to tags properly, deletes files properly from hard disks as well as Serato software & gives better sound quality and I'd never upgrade again unless it was necessary lol

Added to that less CPU intensive would be perfect.
That said the latest version which I'm testing now seems pretty good and now seems to write to the genre tags properly so slowly getting there.
Will add my finding later
maarawoe 3:50 PM - 11 July, 2015
Quote:
I don't understand the obsession people have with the next update

Something that you know will come and you can be excited of?
musiclee 3:51 PM - 11 July, 2015
Cuz I've been hoping for dynamic crates,
Denon HC4500 native support, and
Rane MP25 Ckub Kit,

then I will never need additional updates

Out with old ...in with the new
deejdave 1:24 AM - 12 July, 2015
LOL
musiclee 3:11 PM - 12 July, 2015
Djdave

I tried to map my 4500 with SDJ
Not good. Scrolling impossible to map
I can only map 1 side. And it keeps scrolling
No lights. On controller No txt feedback, titles
I gotta remove from rack and maybe get 2 reloop neon side by side and try to map a temp cue to my Rane MP 25

I saddens but I officially give up on it
As serato has given up on it as well.
deejdave 4:06 PM - 12 July, 2015
Quote:
I can only map 1 side. And it keeps scrolling

This sounds like not mapping correctly. You can use CNTRL+click on the desired button to change its behavior until it works as intended.

As far as the platters you may not be able to get them unless you are able to perform the proper .xml editing. My best advice though would be to hold onto it as a.) eventually you may be able to use any hardware with SDJ as I feel we are heading to a more "open" environment. Just a hunch but then again you know how my "hunches" go when it comes to Serato LOL. Secondly you won't fetch anywhere near what you paid for them let alone what you feel it is worth. If you check ebay (completed auctions as that is the only criteria that matters when estimating) the average for a mint condition unit comes in just under $200. If you sold I personally feel the money gets you nowhere yet they are seemingly VERY well built units that I 100% know you are very fond of. Then again sometimes the best policy is as you said yourself:
Quote:
Out with old ...in with the new

My advice is to hold and wait a bit. I can pretty much guarantee the text support will never come for generic devices but full mappings............................. sure!!

One thing is for sure Serato has certainly given up on it and they never did have support for the MP-25 which I'd say you have even less of a chance of support unless they completely opened up the sound card support. Not what you want to hear but you know I prefer reality over false hope. It helps make better future decisions and we both know IF Serato were to answer they would give the same answer they always do that unless it starts getting massive support it won't be happening.

Your best bet there is to hop on the open soundcard/interface threads and start adding you +1's. If it's any consolation IF Serato worked things on a per request basis instead of a per user basis the MP-25 would be supported based on your requests alone LOL.

Keep your head up though. As I said I have a very strong feeling Serato is headed for a more open environment all around.
musiclee 4:23 PM - 12 July, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions

I tried changing the modes for scrolling and it still was wacked, i wasnt holding ctrl
It said just to hit C i believe. Ill try again

Platters i dont care about, Text woulda been sweet

If Serato would allow mappimg on Neon i would use deck 3,4 buttons for cue and play on both neons. Then id be set

Ye. 4500 is built like a tank, ill put it away in the closet

Question. Are the Novation Dicers. midi Mappable by user?

If so, then maybe 2 dicers and 1 Neon would do the trick for me
musiclee 4:25 PM - 12 July, 2015
And what stinks is that you could only map 1 button or knob per function
i have 2 library scroll wheels on 4500 but SDJ will only see 1
deejdave 4:29 PM - 12 July, 2015
Quote:
I tried changing the modes for scrolling and it still was wacked, i wasnt holding ctrl
It said just to hit C i believe

That's right. I was thinking of something else. I think there is something with TAB as well. Just try them all though (all options) as the library scroll is definitely something that is easy to map generally.
Quote:
Question. Are the Novation Dicers. midi Mappable by user?

The first layer no but I am pretty sure there is another page/s or layer that IS midi mappable.
Quote:
And what stinks is that you could only map 1 button or knob per function
i have 2 library scroll wheels on 4500 but SDJ will only see 1

You may be able to use a midi editor in which you can change/translate the value of both knobs to the same value essentially being the same control in the end. I know with N.I. controller editor I am able to with N.I. controllers obviously. I had two knobs mapped to as you are trying the library scroll.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:53 PM - 12 July, 2015
Hi musiclee,

I'm afraid that we don't reveal what is coming in future versions, but we are always working on stability and new features!

Also we have no plans to support the Denon DN-HC4500 or Rane MP25 in Serato DJ in Serato DJ sorry.

Cheers,
Michael.
musiclee 12:04 AM - 13 July, 2015
bummer,

I guess i will have to stick with my SL3 to use SDJ
And I guess I can sell my 2 HC-4500's

Michael, is the MP25 midi mappable to SDJ
I tried really quick and i didn't work, maybe i missed a step.

thanks for at least letting me know to give up hope for Club Kit on MP25 and support for HC4500
deejdave 1:02 AM - 13 July, 2015
If the MP25 is midi mappable it is midi mappable to SDJ.

LOL C'mon now how many times has Serato told you all of this? You know you will have a SDJ 2.1 thread asking all the same stuff again haha :) Funny but true.

My advice would still be to hold on to everything (as again you are going to get $400 for both tops which is peanuts if you think about it) and hope open support comes sooner rather than later. I would ultimately think about going with a SDJ supported mixer but that is just me.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:47 AM - 13 July, 2015
Quote:
Michael, is the MP25 midi mappable to SDJ

It should be, Rane's website says "The MP25’s front panel controls are MIDI enabled".
musiclee 2:07 AM - 13 July, 2015
Ill give it another go this week
musiclee 7:24 PM - 13 July, 2015
DJ Dave

i think i will sell 1 of my 2 HC-4500's
put in a bit more $$ and get 2 Reloop Neons (1 for each deck)
switching decks with 1 controller is dangerous

of course i have to figure out the CUE/PLAY buttons for both decks somehow :-)
deejdave 8:28 PM - 13 July, 2015
I hear ya. No setup is complete without CDJ's or TT's for me unless using one of my controllers (SX, SZ, NS7II, etc.) so I don't run into this issue.

The closest thing I can think of when I do is with the AMX and using JUST the SP1, AFX or Neon. This is when I add the dual iPhones running Tonetable. Not a bad idea maybe. =

Also have you ever though of using your own generic midi controller mapped to SDJ? Sounds to me like you do not need actual platter control so so maybe something like the Kontrol X1 would suit your needs. I have used my X1 with SDJ and it is pretty great.
musiclee 8:45 PM - 13 July, 2015
dave , my biggest thing is rackmount, 19" box,
i have EQ, BBE sonic max. wireless mic, monster power 1U, Rane MP25, Rane SL-3 inside,
Its all wired up , and quick setup, laptop on sliding platform.
I wanna keep this "box" setup.

i guess this would work for my cue/play on 2 decks :-) static.bhphoto.com
musiclee 8:47 PM - 13 July, 2015
forgot to mention the HC4500 in there too
musiclee 1:28 PM - 15 July, 2015
deejdave

i'm itching to get the 2 Neons to replace the 4500
can get them $260 delivered
should i pull the trigger?
and then sell 1 of my 2 HC-4500's

feel like i'm asking dad permission, lol
deejdave 9:23 PM - 15 July, 2015
Haha nah I know you are just looking for some reassurance. I do the same when I am about to make a purchase.

If they are willing to sell for $130 each then I would personally buy the one, make sure I am happy with it, then if so purchase the second and then see what I could get for ONE of the 4500's. I only say this because I know you are a hard person to please. This is by NO means a bad thing. As I have said before you just know what you want is all.
musiclee 12:55 AM - 16 July, 2015
$257.40 for both Neons. :-)

I don't think I can buy just 1 as I don't want to switch decks, too dangerous
I want to make custom bracket to accommodate both in my 19" rack

It's gonna be a tight fit even using right angle cables
I've measured and done quite a bit of research on this and I can just imagine how it will look if I pull it off

Serato, please let us map these damn controllers
musiclee 12:56 AM - 16 July, 2015
I need to add transport controls on my Reloops Neons
deejdave 2:04 AM - 16 July, 2015
And the SP1 is definitely a no go correct? I hear ya on the two active decks and the SP1 is my preferred sub controller with this being one of the main reasons.
musiclee 2:55 AM - 16 July, 2015
Ye SP1 costs more plus it's too big for the rack
And it doesn't light up pretty, RGB. :)
Also, the Controller needs to fit in 3U
musiclee 2:56 AM - 16 July, 2015
Also SP1 lacks transport controls so....
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:47 AM - 16 July, 2015
I dont under stand how two Reloop Neons can be a replacement for a denon hc-4500 they are not even the same thing! The denon is a deck control unit the reloop is a feature unit.

I just don't understand how this is going to work for you at all. Do you use the sample bank alot amd slicer hot loops ect? If not what is the point of getting the neon? And how are you going to control the decks? Play/pause, Cue, pitch control, pitchbend, scratch, search, next pre track and so on......

I'm lost to why you are syuck with a 3u 19" unit and can NOT have anying else???

Seems very odd. And makes no sence.
musiclee 4:32 PM - 16 July, 2015
play/pause >> i will map to my Rane MP25 unused buttons
pitchbend >> map to Rane MP25 unused knobs
scratch > i don't scratch
search thru track >> don't use, i use cue points
next track >> don't use, i go with the flow, never in any order

i am a mobile DJ, not a club DJ
musiclee 4:34 PM - 16 July, 2015
i like my 19" rack setup, it's neat, quick, all setup with EQ, Power Strip, SL3, Rane MP25, HC4500, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Wireless Mic, etc.

i hate tabletop
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:25 PM - 16 July, 2015
I guess that's one way of doing it lol. If your happy thats all that counts.
musiclee 5:47 PM - 16 July, 2015
i'd be WAY happier if Serato let us map the NEON :-)

please listen to us Serato
musiclee 8:29 PM - 16 July, 2015
deejdave

i did it, i ordered the 2 NEONS
time to sell 1- HC4500
soo i will have as much gear as you ;-)

i also ordered this cable to put my Neons as CLOSE as possible: i.ebayimg.com$_12.JPG
musiclee 8:33 PM - 16 July, 2015
since i can't edit,
here's link to that cable:

s8.postimg.org
deejdave 9:49 PM - 16 July, 2015
Nicely done. One of the reasons I have a bit of a collection though is I never sell any off as I can't stand the depreciation............. it burns too much! I literally think I finally purchased my first home because I ran out of room for my toys!! LOL JK it was the family growing............
Quote:
play/pause >> i will map to my Rane MP25 unused buttons
pitchbend >> map to Rane MP25 unused knobs
scratch > i don't scratch
search thru track >> don't use, i use cue points
next track >> don't use, i go with the flow, never in any order

i am a mobile DJ, not a club DJ

Out of curiosity have you tried this yet? I am assuming no but I am curious why not? You have everything you need to test this out today.
musiclee 9:59 PM - 16 July, 2015
haven't tried to map MP25 yet, i'm crazy, i know,

i will hope for the best, if it doesn't work, i can always squeeze this in above or below the Neons:

pic: xkeys.com

info: xkeys.com
deejdave 10:03 PM - 16 July, 2015
I think that is HID and not MIDI. You could probably map it to certain keyboard features but I think you would have more luck with a generic midi controller which you could map yourself to the actual SDJ software features.
musiclee 1:27 PM - 17 July, 2015
I think you're right, it maps to keyboard shortcuts
But main thing is, it must fit in my 19" rack :-)
deejdave 9:42 PM - 17 July, 2015
Can't you just map the 4500 yourself?
musiclee 11:14 PM - 17 July, 2015
I give up on the HC4500
Mainly because none of the lights work
Can't assign the scroll track knob correctly
It's not responsive with SDJ as it is with SSLCan only assign 1 of the 2 scroll knobs
The platters don't work
The text, titles don't show up

It's like having a car that only drives in reverse

My rack is already heavy as heck, so a few less pounds is very welcomed.
WarpNote 10:03 AM - 19 July, 2015
Lee,
I didn't read all of this, but here is the workaround for how to map
the same function to different knobs. (ie library scroll)

First off move the MIDI/Xml folder temporarily out of the _Serato_ folder

1. Start SDJ fresh, ie noe previous mapping. Map your left library scroll. Save the mapping as "left-scroll.xml"

2. Start fresh again, now map the right library scroll. Save the mapping as "right-scroll.xml"

3. Close SDJ, have a look in the MIDI/Xml folder. Open both xml files in a text editor, they should only contain the code for the lib scroll. Combine the two, save as "both-scroll.xml"

4. Start SDJ, load the new xml and you are good to go!
musiclee 12:53 PM - 19 July, 2015
Thanks Warp. Nice suggestion

I will be using the Reloop Neons I think
So I may not try the 4500

How do you get the lights to work on 4500?
Without light feedback on controller you can't see what's happening
WarpNote 8:30 PM - 19 July, 2015
Sure thing Lee, this method works on all map-able midi controllers.

Quote:
How do you get the lights to work on 4500?

No clue, dont own it. Never got custom lights to work on my hc1000s, friend of mine never got his sc2000 lights to work. And heard similar reports for both sc2900 and sc3900....

And to be honest, I really dislike the old layout of those dual rack units.
Used to own one dual rack CD player myself back in the day. I trashed it ;-)
deejdave 11:48 PM - 19 July, 2015
I too remember the days of DJing with a 19" mobile unit. I only did it for like a year or so with a Denon Dual CD player. The mobility was incredible but the workflow/performance is just unnatural to what I was used to learning on TT's.

I have always found comfort with the familiar feel of tabletop units. Whether it be a controller, CDJ's or whatever it all is pretty much brushing the traditional DJ Setup after all this all pretty much started with TT's so it pretty much makes perfect sense to be on top of a table, spread out & facing up LOL. Just my 2 cents though as everybody's needs and wants are different.
WarpNote 10:27 AM - 20 July, 2015
My point being that those 19" player units are being phased out, and I doubt any of the major manufacturers will offer them in say 5-7 years from now....
musiclee 2:25 PM - 20 July, 2015
fine, i'm ok with them being phased out,
i am still married to my 19" rack as a mobile DJ
musiclee 2:29 PM - 20 July, 2015
this week, i will remove my HC4500 :-(
and in it's place place my 2 brand new Neons,
i think it will look sweet, it will at least be one nice light show, lol
again, then all to do is map CUE/PLAY on my MP25, plus pitch on 2 unused knobs,
hope i can get used to the new setup