Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Should Would Be Nice If These Audio Glitches/Latency Would STOP.

djmacklong 5:34 PM - 10 July, 2015
We're on 1.7.6 now, and I'm STILL having audio glitches/stutters/sudden latency at least once a night when using my DDJ-SZ. I'm running and MBP retina with 16gb RAM, 500gb SSD, and 2.7ghz i7. NO EXCUSE for this crap.

No, I won't bother opening a help ticket because the 457 other help tickets I've opened regarding this issue over the last several releases have provided zero results...just more frustration.

Why do we have to settle for this crap?! GET IT TOGETHER PIONEER/SERATO.
938MyDJ 9:52 PM - 10 July, 2015
@ OS X Yosemite 10.10.4... I'm guessing?
djmacklong 10:07 PM - 10 July, 2015
10.10.2. This has been happening through multiple updates in both the OSX software and SDJ software though. Doesn't happen at all when using my 62 and turntables; ONLY when I'm on my DDJ-SZ. Buddy gets it on his SX too.
938MyDJ 10:51 PM - 10 July, 2015
I bought a new Macbook Pro since March and only opened it yesterday. This is because all I've seen about Yosemite in the forums are issues. However, without updating the OS it worked pretty well with my SX2 in 1.7.6.

I will do a thorough test with my SZ tonight.
Or else, I might stick with my 2011 Macbook with 10.9.5 Mavericks for tomorrow's gig.
938MyDJ 10:56 PM - 10 July, 2015
BTW - Disabling Itunes Library solved the issue of some other users apparently.

You might want to try that if you haven't yet.
That of course assuming that you don't organize your files with it.

I never use Itunes crates at all.
djmacklong 1:33 AM - 11 July, 2015
I'll try that, thanks.
DJ G70 4:18 PM - 12 July, 2015
Hi there, I'm having the same problem as djmacklong. I'm running a MacBook Pro 2011 OSX 10.10.3 17 i7 2.3 ghz with 8 gig of ram 256gb ssd and 500gb ssd in optical bay all my files are on this drive I don't use iTunes so it's not that it used to work before the OS X update and now I get a drop out after about 2.5 hours I'm running the latest version of serato my buffer is set to 1ms I will be trying it on 2ms to see if it makes any difference, a lot of users state 1.7.3 is good witch it is but I still get a dropout about 2.5 hours in to using it. This needs to be sorted out ASAP
Col1990 4:42 PM - 12 July, 2015
Quote:
I'm running the latest version of serato my buffer is set to 1ms

That might be your problem there if I were you I would keep it at 5ms as default unless you're scratching or doing some crazy shit.
DJ dVO 5:19 PM - 12 July, 2015
I have the same problems, more so and more frequent since updated to OS Yosemite. Here are the things that I have gathered to resolve the issues:

Disable Spotlight
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Reenable Spotlight (after you're done with your gig)
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Disengaged FLIP

Disengaged Strip Search (if you run NS7FX/NS7II/III or Vestax VCI-380.

Disable PnT

#5. Unchecked "Automatic Graphics switching" by Preferences-->Energy Saver....up on top, uncheck it.

Give these a try....

dVo
djmacklong 5:23 PM - 12 July, 2015
Maybe with 8gb RAM, but with specs like mine:

Quote:
I'm running and MBP retina with 16gb RAM, 500gb SSD, and 2.7ghz i7.

there is absolutely no argument whatsoever that I should have to run anything less than 1ms. SDJ consistently performs flawlessly when running 1200s/Rane 62 on my laptop, which is funny considering DVS is where most users have reported issues. But on my DDJ-SZ, which is a 100% digital piece of hardware that is native to SDJ, is where I get the buffer/playback issues.

Quote:

Disable Spotlight
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

dVo

Thanks dVo. Is this done within the terminal?
DJ dVO 5:24 PM - 12 July, 2015
^ yes...
DJ dVO 5:27 PM - 12 July, 2015
Since your Mac has the "i7" give #5 a try. Apparently, the switch between graphic modes cause a drop in USB read that may lead to "dropouts".
djmacklong 5:32 PM - 12 July, 2015
I did it as soon as I read it. I'm thinking (and hoping) that could actually be a thing because I've noticed that my waveforms tend to look really "jittery" (especially in offline mode). They never did before.

fingers crossed.
deejdave 6:06 PM - 12 July, 2015
Disable graphics switching - support.serato.com

Other basic optimizations suggested by Serato..................

Basic Mac Optimization - support.serato.com

Advanced Mac Optimization - support.serato.com

Resetting PRAM - support.serato.com

Lowering Memory Usage via library - support.serato.com

Display settings for Retina MacBook's (being they are not yet officially supported) - support.serato.com
BleedR 8:32 PM - 12 July, 2015
Since November 2014 I'm waiting and hoping...

You can forget all the optimisations! Nothing helps!

Read more here:
serato.com
deejdave 9:40 PM - 12 July, 2015
Thread over ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Stop Tracking ^^^^^^^^^^^
DJ G70 3:17 PM - 26 July, 2015
Hi everybody, after reading this tread serato.com I can confirm that I am audio dropout free. I have played 3 sets for four hours using 1.7.2 with no dropouts, I'm using a ddj SZ and a MacBook Pro 17 I7 2.3 ghz 8 gig of ram 256 gb ssd and 500 gb ssd in place of the optical bay. I will be testing with newer versions of SDJ hopefully with the same results. Please give it a try and let us know how it worked for you.
djmacklong 5:16 AM - 28 July, 2015
Is there a particular post you could copy/paste or a short summary you can provide, rather than reading all of that?

Thanks
DJ G70 11:34 AM - 28 July, 2015
HI jdmacklong, here is the post I read.

Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 1:08 PM - 17 July, 2015
Just F.Y.I...

I did a fresh install of O.S.X and had the same problems (except my pointer stopped vanishing). I then upgraded to 10.10.4. Same problems, but...

This morning, I repaired the disk permissions and reset the PRAM. I immediately noticed that the computer was much faster. The CPU meter in Serato seemed more responsive and I'd seen the CPU warning light come on for the first time. I put as much stress on the CPU that I possibly could and even though the CPU was often in the red, there were no dropouts or screen freezes. Everything ran flawless...

The drop outs and pops returned with Auto Gain enabled. I did some experimenting and found that the pops and dropouts only happen if I start the software with Auto Gain on. If I disable Auto Gain before I exit the software, restart the software, then turn on Auto Gain (after the Library has finished loading), there's no pops or drop outs.

Next, I left Auto Gain enabled and restarted Serato. The pops and dropouts were still gone. I did this several times, no problems. I restarted the computer, enabled Auto Gain, and the pops and dropouts were back.

After trying several more experiments, I've concluded that if I start the software with Auto Gain disabled, I have no issues with audio. Even if I enable Auto Gain after the library has loaded, no audio issues. The problems with Auto Gain returns if I restart the computer and start Serato with Auto Gain enabled...

Steps to take:
1) Turn off Auto Gain before exiting Serato DJ.
2) Start Serato DJ
3) Wait until your Library (and Crates) finish loading, then
4) Enable Auto Gain

This works for me until the next time I shutdown/restart the computer...

hope this helps you it worked for me.

Thanks
DJ G70 11:42 AM - 28 July, 2015
Hi again djmacklong, I forgot to mention i did not do a fresh install or reset the PRAM i just just used the steps about the auto gain.

Thanks
djmacklong 3:05 PM - 28 July, 2015
Thanks, I'll try that.

I also have found that if I do not have my SDJ reading iTunes then I don't have issues either.

Both of those being said, neither of these issues were ever issues in SSL. And with computer specs like mine, it's ridiculous to have to do stupid things like this in order to make our software run properly.
DJ G70 3:32 PM - 28 July, 2015
I don't use iTunes so its not that and yes it is ridiculous to find a way to make this software usable. But that said my setup works flawlessly now using the auto gain steps.
DeeJay Staas 8:42 AM - 30 July, 2015
any ideas ? news ? after two monts without drops, last night had one during Recording :
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) , 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 , 8 GB , 512 SSD
OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
Serato 1.7.5 .

Help !
DeeJay Staas 9:59 AM - 7 April, 2016
any news? it happened once per month with 1.9.0 El capitan 10.11.1 ...
djmacklong 8:05 PM - 12 April, 2016
I can't even get my 62 to work with the latest version of El Cap so I haven't upgraded. Still get the occasional dropout.