DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Practice tips

eyflyguy 7:54 PM - 27 June, 2015
Whats some good pointers for beginner dj's? I wouldnt so much say im a beginner, but im not advanced just yet. I still practice practice practice everyday. but what are some tips you guys can give? I also have a couple questions:

if im creating a mix to upload, or even if I was to do a live radio show, just something where someone can listen to my mixes, whats a good typical length to play each song? 1 verse, 1 hook? I guess my main question is if im not DJing a live set with a live audience infront of me, how long should I play each song for?
 6 9:30 PM - 27 June, 2015
Well, it all depends on what hardware and software you're using. So let's start there. What are you DJing for?

As far as people listening to you, I would go with the 2 verse 2 hook rule. For practice, 1 verse and 1 hook.

Anything recorded, pretend you're doing it for a live audience and put yourself on their situation.

And please don't rush through songs like some fools do. That whole 150 songs in one hour is just ridiculous.

nm
eyflyguy 10:48 PM - 27 June, 2015
Quote:
Well, it all depends on what hardware and software you're using. So let's start there. What are you DJing for?

As far as people listening to you, I would go with the 2 verse 2 hook rule. For practice, 1 verse and 1 hook.

Anything recorded, pretend you're doing it for a live audience and put yourself on their situation.

And please don't rush through songs like some fools do. That whole 150 songs in one hour is just ridiculous.

nm

yea I noticed sometimes I do rush through songs when im at home practicing. I just figure 'im at home so why not' so I would sometimes switch after 1 hook or 1 chorus. which ever comes first. but you saying I should just treat each practice like its a live set?

I currently use serato. sometimes scratch live, sometimes DJ (but dj fails on my computer at times and not always reliable to work with.) As far as equipment, I have every option possible. Numark NS7 Controller, (also vestax vci300 for the portability, If ever I wanted to mix on the go). Then I also have Pioneer CDJs and 2 vinyl turntables that I use also so I could get used to every feel possible. My goal is to be a club/festival DJ. Possibly a radio DJ also but havent thought too much into that as of right now. Im still trying to master the basics and for the right now, I would possibly like to record mixes and upload them so people can download and listen to them. so I pretty much want to DJ anywhere possible. lol
 6 7:14 AM - 28 June, 2015
Not at all. Practice is practice. But, if you're doing this for a live audience, then treat it like any other live venue even if you're just practicing.

Glad to see you have a variety of equipment that you can learn and practice on.
eyflyguy 8:23 AM - 28 June, 2015
Quote:
Not at all. Practice is practice. But, if you're doing this for a live audience, then treat it like any other live venue even if you're just practicing.

Glad to see you have a variety of equipment that you can learn and practice on.

Yea I had turntables. Then when the digital era boomed, I moved over to a controller but its not the same feeling. But i love the feeling of vinyl. Plus that & cdjs being the club standard, I had to get a feel of everything so I can be ready when its time to go.

Let me ask you this. What would be the best method for practicing scratches? should I try to immitate scratches that I see/hear or should I start with basics and work my way up to transformers and crabs? Because right now I just try to immitate what I see & hear as far as crab scratches & such. Is that good to do or should I just master the baby scratch, then move to scratches with the fader and such...
Davideon 8:42 AM - 28 June, 2015
Start with baby, forwards etc then build up
eyflyguy 9:21 AM - 28 June, 2015
Quote:
Start with baby, forwards etc then build up

Got you. Thanks for all the feedback! Any other advice, feel free to post
Thundercat 2:44 PM - 28 June, 2015
Quote:

I concur. Most of the songs you will likely be practicing with were or are popular for a reason, let your audience enjoy them. But if going all out all alone, the quick mix practice (pitch riding, beatmatching, phrasing, etc.) will help build your confidence and accuracy.

Quote:

Ah yep! Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should.

Quote:
Practice is practice. But, if you're doing this for a live audience, then treat it like any other live venue even if you're just practicing.

Even if you just do an online session with UStream or something. Read you chat room, interact, work their energy, get a feel for what they are feeling.

Quote:
What would be the best method for practicing scratches? should I try to immitate scratches that I see/hear or should I start with basics and work my way up to transformers and crabs? Because right now I just try to immitate what I see & hear as far as crab scratches & such. Is that good to do or should I just master the baby scratch, then move to scratches with the fader and such...

Simple stuff first. Slow and steady, repetition, timing. Even the sickest quadruple-dookie-orbit-twiddle-flare-upside down-3 click-boogie-chirp will sound ass if it's off beat.

My 2 cents
 6 8:45 PM - 28 June, 2015
Those quadruple-dookie-orbit-twiddle-flare-upside down-3 click-boogie-chirps are awesome lol

nm
eyflyguy 4:31 AM - 29 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I concur. Most of the songs you will likely be practicing with were or are popular for a reason, let your audience enjoy them. But if going all out all alone, the quick mix practice (pitch riding, beatmatching, phrasing, etc.) will help build your confidence and accuracy.

Quote:

Ah yep! Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should.

Quote:
Practice is practice. But, if you're doing this for a live audience, then treat it like any other live venue even if you're just practicing.

Even if you just do an online session with UStream or something. Read you chat room, interact, work their energy, get a feel for what they are feeling.

Quote:
What would be the best method for practicing scratches? should I try to immitate scratches that I see/hear or should I start with basics and work my way up to transformers and crabs? Because right now I just try to immitate what I see & hear as far as crab scratches & such. Is that good to do or should I just master the baby scratch, then move to scratches with the fader and such...

Simple stuff first. Slow and steady, repetition, timing. Even the sickest quadruple-dookie-orbit-twiddle-flare-upside down-3 click-boogie-chirp will sound ass if it's off beat.

My 2 cents

Lmfao i would love to eventually learn a quadruple-dookie-orbit-twiddle-flare-upside down-3 click-boogie-chirp one day. Hahaha