DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

microphones for DJing

djcaba 3:16 AM - 17 June, 2015
So the word is that the sm58 is the industry standard... I'm thinking about a sm58s (the only difference is a on/off switch)...

Which one should I get? (By the way, I'm on a Rane 61 for this instance)

If there are any other recommendation, I would really like to hear your opinions!
djcaba 5:13 AM - 17 June, 2015
Quote:
SM58 is a good mic. Has a lot of top end to it. If you like something without much highs and like a warm sound versus a bright sound, check out the Sennheiser 835

Don't i need a onoff switch? Instead of always messing with the mic gain? I dont mind the small price difference.
Davideon 11:23 AM - 17 June, 2015
Oh great. Let's ask the same question in multiple forums
pdidy 10:30 PM - 17 June, 2015
Quote:
So the word is that the sm58 is the industry standard... I'm thinking about a sm58s (the only difference is a on/off switch)...

wow, you must be new to microphones.......an on/off switch is like the equivalent to......pictures.topspeed.com
DJMark 10:45 PM - 17 June, 2015
The Shure SM58 has a version with an on-off switch...it's called SM58S.

It's a very standard mic because it sounds decent, does a decent job of rejecting feedback, and is pretty durable.

The on-off switch is useful for allowing someone at a distance from the mixer to shut off the mic for whatever reason.

Is there some special "need" or are you just looking for a general-purpose mic that doesn't sound like total crap? If the answer to my second question is "yes" then the SM58 is a very safe choice.
deezlee 5:24 AM - 18 June, 2015
thats cool, never seen an sm58 w a switch
Rebelguy 5:40 AM - 18 June, 2015
If you want to stay Shure then look into the SM86 or Beta58.

If you are willing to branch out then I will cosign with ScullyDJing on the Senheisser 835 as well as the 935. Great mics.
DJ Guayo 1:21 PM - 18 June, 2015
Quote:
If you want to stay Shure then look into the SM86 or Beta58.

If you are willing to branch out then I will cosign with ScullyDJing on the Senheisser 835 as well as the 935. Great mics.

I'm a big fan of the Shure58 but it's not hot enough at times. Especially if you have someone that doesn't talk into the mic or hold it properly. You can only ride the gain so much until you get feedback.
DJ Reflex 8:37 PM - 19 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

wow, you must be new to microphones.......an on/off switch is like the equivalent to......pictures.topspeed.com

Not really. The switch is handy when using the mic alone. Without anyone behind the mixer, any feedback would be disastrous before it could be shut off. With the switch, I can control that from the dance floor, head table, wherever. Also, it helps when passing the mic around.

I prefer the switch and own several mics with and without them. Not training wheels at all, but more a necessity for some of my situations.
ChuckDvolume2 2:41 PM - 4 July, 2015
I have always loved the Sure Beta 87 because it has condenser like sound quality. It's pricy but I say go for it if you can afford it. Otherwise the SM58 is perfect. This is my first time hearing about the SM58S but the only reason most people want a switch is beach use they want to avoid feedback. The cure for feedback is making "SURE" you are not within the triangular wave area of the speakers. I usually try to remain behind the speakers when I set up by spacing them either way out not facing me or close in front of me.
ChuckDvolume2 11:07 AM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
I have always loved the Sure Beta 87 because it has condenser like sound quality. It's pricy but I say go for it if you can afford it. Otherwise the SM58 is perfect. This is my first time hearing about the SM58S but the only reason most people want a switch is beach use they want to avoid feedback. The cure for feedback is making "SURE" you are not within the triangular wave area of the speakers. I usually try to remain behind the speakers when I set up by spacing them either way out not facing me or close in front of me.

Correction "because"