Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Karaoke Zip files to much work to unzip them all

KJ Ted 12:26 AM - 11 June, 2015
I Love the fact that Serato DJ now support and plays karaoke files but unfortunately I have to unzip all my Karaoke CDG file in order to play them. I am a karaoke DJ with over 60,000 song all zip in their own organize file and category. For me to try to unzip this many songs will take months. is there anyway that Serato can come with a format like Virtual DJ, KJAMS and many other karaoke programs has to be able to open the zip file? I currently have to use Virtual DJ to play my karaoke zip file but I would Love to just use Serato DJ.
DJ Tecniq 7:09 AM - 11 June, 2015
Quote:
I Love the fact that Serato DJ now support and plays karaoke files but unfortunately I have to unzip all my Karaoke CDG file in order to play them. I am a karaoke DJ with over 60,000 song all zip in their own organize file and category. For me to try to unzip this many songs will take months. is there anyway that Serato can come with a format like Virtual DJ, KJAMS and many other karaoke programs has to be able to open the zip file? I currently have to use Virtual DJ to play my karaoke zip file but I would Love to just use Serato DJ.
Should actually go surprisingly quick if you are on a mac. search .zip on your laptop and highlight them all right click extract. They should be unzipped anyways to be read. Good luck.
skinnyguy 7:51 AM - 11 June, 2015
Vdj can read them without being unzipped.
DJ Tecniq 11:28 AM - 11 June, 2015
Quote:
Then use VDJ and get made fun of :)
KJ Ted 7:07 AM - 16 June, 2015
thank you
ShoDJ 5:27 PM - 20 June, 2015
having trouble trying to extract. When I highlight the files, I'm not getting an option to extract
DJ Tecniq 5:40 AM - 22 June, 2015
Quote:
having trouble trying to extract. When I highlight the files, I'm not getting an option to extract
you need a program to "unzip" the files👌🏻💯
ShoDJ 1:33 AM - 23 June, 2015
Thanks, which one would you recommend?
DJMark 1:40 AM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
Thanks, which one would you recommend?

If you're either on Mac or Windows, you DO NOT need any "program" to open normal ZIP files.

On a Mac, just right-click and "Open".

If what you have is actually RAR files, then you'll need something like Stuffit Expander to open them.
dj seek 4:02 AM - 24 January, 2016
It would be great to not have to unzip all of our song files... We have over 100,000 songs... Unzipping them is not the issue, but the individual cdg/mp3 files are not always named to match the zip file... That's where the problem would lie...
djshawnclark 12:46 AM - 2 February, 2016
I use Kjams and would love to be able to JUST use serato but unzipping was a mess for me the first time I tried thinking I was gonna toss Kjams. Nope.
Taipanic 9:00 PM - 4 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

For doing Karaoke? Don't think so. That's what I would use if I had to do it. Use the best tool for the job and F what anyone thinks about it.
Karaoke isn't Serato's focus and shouldn't be. It's nice that Serato added this feature and can be used in a pinch but if you are doing K gigs then use a tool that is made for it. There is no benefit to unzipping tens of thousands of tracks just so you can use Serato. Use VDJ or a KJ program until (if) Serato makes this software better for it.
DJMark 1:02 AM - 5 February, 2016
Yea I don't exactly think most of the Karaoke crowd is too concerned about "keeping it real" LOL LOL.
Jack94533 4:57 PM - 19 February, 2017
All Karaoke files can be easily unzipped by using a free readily available utility called MP3+GToolz. Here is a working link: www.softpedia.com
Jack94533 5:41 PM - 19 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For doing Karaoke? Don't think so. That's what I would use if I had to do it. Use the best tool for the job and F what anyone thinks about it.
Karaoke isn't Serato's focus and shouldn't be. It's nice that Serato added this feature and can be used in a pinch but if you are doing K gigs then use a tool that is made for it. There is no benefit to unzipping tens of thousands of tracks just so you can use Serato. Use VDJ or a KJ program until (if) Serato makes this software better for it.

Keeping your files zipped slows down whatever karaoke player you use. The program has to take the time to unzip them, and on a slow computer, it could be a full second or more before the file actually starts playing. Also, with all the different zip compression schemes, there's a chance your player may not even be able to unzip a file. Suffice it to say, there are benefits to unzipping your files....
NotLovingSeratorDJ 2:25 PM - 6 June, 2017
I realize this is an older post, but I just ran into this problem on my Mac. What I did was write a small shell script and let that run to unzip all the .zip files, then remove them. Below is what I wrote to /usr/local/bin/unkaraoke.sh

find Karaoke -name '*.zip' -execdir unzip {} \;
find Karaoke -name ‘*.DS_Store’ -type f -delete

My karaoke folder is on the desktop, so that's where I started the shell script from in terminal as su.
NotLovingSeratorDJ 2:27 PM - 6 June, 2017
Quote:
I realize this is an older post, but I just ran into this problem on my Mac. What I did was write a small shell script and let that run to unzip all the .zip files, then remove them. Below is what I wrote to /usr/local/bin/unkaraoke.sh

find Karaoke -name '*.zip' -execdir unzip {} \;
find Karaoke -name ‘*.DS_Store’ -type f -delete

My karaoke folder is on the desktop, so that's where I started the shell script from in terminal as su.

just saw a typo - 2nd line, replace *.DS_Store with *.zip
DJNitro12 12:42 AM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Bingo!
Taipanic 2:48 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bingo!

If that's what you're worried about you've got a lot to learn. Use the best tool for the job.
What exactly is so bad about VDJ? Have you ever even used it? Own a license? I use Serato mostly but I can mix the same set the same way on Serato, VDJ, Traktor & Rekordbox using a Controller/CDJs or DVS and you wouldn't know the difference between any of them. Yes, I own licenses for all of them.
You're comments are even funnier in that you are mostly a Wedding/Event DJ.
DJNitro12 4:24 PM - 7 June, 2017
Actually 1. I used to be a club tour DJ including appearances in Germany and Greece.
2. I did have a VDJ license for about 6 months and didn't really care for it. Not that it's bad, just didn't like the library on it. In all the major clubs I've worked in, I've NEVER once walked in and see them use VDJ. Again, nothing wrong with VDJ but it's just not the preferred software. Same thing with Traktor, nothing wrong with it to my knowledge (I've never used it) but it's just not the preferred software in any club I've ever worked at.
3. Yes I'm a wedding / corporate event dj. What that gives me is the ability to do is work when I want. Also I make a lot more money doing weddings that some "club" dj in Tampa which is a hot bed for hot night club djs I hear (apply sarcasm as needed).
Taipanic 5:48 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Actually 1. I used to be a club tour DJ including appearances in Germany and Greece.
2. I did have a VDJ license for about 6 months and didn't really care for it. Not that it's bad, just didn't like the library on it. In all the major clubs I've worked in, I've NEVER once walked in and see them use VDJ. Again, nothing wrong with VDJ but it's just not the preferred software. Same thing with Traktor, nothing wrong with it to my knowledge (I've never used it) but it's just not the preferred software in any club I've ever worked at.
3. Yes I'm a wedding / corporate event dj. What that gives me is the ability to do is work when I want. Also I make a lot more money doing weddings that some "club" dj in Tampa which is a hot bed for hot night club djs I hear (apply sarcasm as needed).

1. You agreed with my points exactly in that it's not a bad product and can be very useful for filling certain need, like Karaoke. It's nice that Serato can do Karaoke files, I'd use it in a pinch but not if I was doing those gigs every week (I don't do Karaoke).
2. Again agreeing with what I'm saying. I don't use VDJ anymore either, I prefer the flow and useability of Serato if I am using a computer based DJ setup.
3. Not maligning that you do events and weddings, I do them also. The irony is that "what other people think" is usually much less of an issue in that world. I'm sure you wouldn't have someone come up to you at a wedding and laugh because you are using VDJ (or a PC, or whatever), especially if you are killing said event.
As far as what I do, I've been doing this for over 30 years. I still rock clubs, special events, radio, and whatever else I decide. I've made well over $1,000,000 and have played for over 1,000,000 people as a DJ so far and have no one to answer to or have to justify anything, I am secure in my talents and abilities. I also try to give back and help others that are up and coming and give good advice, not snarky comments like yours that I initially responded to. No sarcasm needed for the Tampa comment, there's a lot of talent around, both in terms of DJs and Producers. Club work has been diluted everywhere, doesn't matter where you live in these days of "Everybody's a DJ" I still do good enough to keep me in Porsches and high quality gear.
I'm sure you're probably a pretty good guy and there's already enough drama on the Internet so I'm done. I'd rather talk about gear ;-)
taterwulf 5:03 AM - 27 August, 2017
I just happened to notice this old thread, and wanted to share a gold nugget with everyone who wants to manage their karaoke zip files, or extract them. If you have a PC, there is an amazing tool for managing them: www.softpedia.com

It is a program that runs on .Net architecture and will mass zip, unzip, rename or just about anything else you might need to do with your karaoke mp3g tracks. I have well over 150K tracks and this is a lifesaver. Best of all, the software is freeware. no license or purchase needed. Cheers!
ShoDJ 11:41 PM - 31 August, 2017
Thanks, for the info