DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rekord Buddy 2.0 Preview

StylesD 10:09 PM - 10 June, 2015
this looks pretty interesting as a solution for library management. have any of you guys used the original rekord buddy? what are your thoughts on this new release?

Watchwww.youtube.com
Damien Sirkis 6:04 PM - 11 June, 2015
Feel free to shoot any questions my way too. Happy to help :)
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:15 PM - 11 June, 2015
I've been looking forward to this since I saw it at DJ Expo last year.
Damien Sirkis 7:16 PM - 11 June, 2015
Sorry it's taken so long. Working hard on getting it out soon though.
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:25 PM - 11 June, 2015
looking forward to it... taking the time to take make it right get my full support.
djnak 3:33 AM - 13 June, 2015
Damien Sirkis ...you are now my crate HERO...I can not wait for this program!!!
Damien Sirkis 6:07 AM - 13 June, 2015
Thanks guys!
djnak 8:12 PM - 13 June, 2015
question...Is this going to support .mp4 video (music videos) as well?
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:46 PM - 13 June, 2015
^^ great question. + wav/aiff?
Code:E 9:40 PM - 13 June, 2015
Yes. MP4 support is a must. And I guess other music formates also. But MP4 for sure.

Also Is there any sort of tag managent?
Code:E 9:46 PM - 13 June, 2015
Quote:
Also Is there any sort of tag managent?

Nevermind Still watching the video. I like where you are going.

What about album art? I use iTunes to edit on mass all of my album art. Can I do that?
Damien Sirkis 2:59 AM - 14 June, 2015
@djnak I'll admit I haven't tried video files yet. Could you contact me via support and hook me up with a couple of files I could try?

@Code:E Artwork editing will be basic at first but something that will be expanded moving forward. I have a lot of ideas there.
Dj Mike P. 3:54 PM - 14 June, 2015
Looks good. Will purchasing the current version will give me free access to 2.0 when released, and what about other future updates?
Damien Sirkis 4:25 PM - 14 June, 2015
Quote:
Looks good. Will purchasing the current version will give me free access to 2.0 when released, and what about other future updates?

I wish I could work for free but unfortunately this is my sole job and I can't :)

2.0 will be sold as a monthly subscription, not 100% decided on how much but probably just a few bucks a month.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:34 PM - 14 June, 2015
MP4 support is definitely make or break for me.
Damien Sirkis 4:44 PM - 14 June, 2015
Quote:
MP4 support is definitely make or break for me.

Should be 'make', I just need to test it.
Code:E 5:32 PM - 14 June, 2015
Damien, Get ahold of VJ pro and Xtendamix and test with their video files. I'm sure both would be willing to send you a few test files.
Damien Sirkis 5:45 PM - 14 June, 2015
Quote:
Damien, Get ahold of VJ pro and Xtendamix and test with their video files. I'm sure both would be willing to send you a few test files.

Will do. I already support audio MP4 files so I'm guessing video won't be that much different.
djnak 8:56 PM - 14 June, 2015
Quote:

Sent a Pm on here with a link to some video files for testing...
Damien Sirkis 8:57 PM - 14 June, 2015
Quote:

Sent a Pm on here with a link to some video files for testing...

Thanks!
nik39 10:56 AM - 15 June, 2015
Hey Damien, tried to send you an email - did you get it?
Damien Sirkis 3:27 PM - 15 June, 2015
Quote:
Hey Damien, tried to send you an email - did you get it?

I don't think so. You can use the support form on the website or just email support directly. That goes to me :)
nik39 7:19 PM - 15 June, 2015
Isn't that your email address? damien at nextaudiolabs dot com
nik39 7:20 PM - 15 June, 2015
Anyway, I have just sent you a PM ;)
Damien Sirkis 7:21 PM - 15 June, 2015
Quote:
Isn't that your email address? damien at nextaudiolabs dot com

That also goes to the support email. I did just get your PM though :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:52 PM - 16 June, 2015
Oh jeez ya video mp4 support is defo needed. Fingers crossed lol we have an eta on release or just when it's ready?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:16 PM - 16 June, 2015
If it truly is a monthly subscription count me out.

I can understand buying the program at first and then paying for updates but no way is this worth it to me at a monthly subscription.

Nice work though 👍
Damien Sirkis 5:04 PM - 16 June, 2015
Quote:
Oh jeez ya video mp4 support is defo needed. Fingers crossed lol we have an eta on release or just when it's ready?

The ETA is mentioned in the video. Summer Beta, release when the beta is stable.
Quote:
I can understand buying the program at first and then paying for updates but no way is this worth it to me at a monthly subscription.

The app isn't even out yet :) at least give it a try before deciding if it's worth it or not (unless this is by principle and not about whether the app is 'worth it' or not)
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:58 PM - 16 June, 2015
Id say majority of people would dislike paying a monthly fee for software, it would annoy me id rather it be out right and then pay for updates. Or at least an yearly fee. But iv needed this in my life so much i will pay monthly lol

And yes what i meant was weather you had a ruff time scale on the beta lenth or weather it's just when it's ready i.e could be in beta for couple years....
Damien Sirkis 6:05 PM - 16 June, 2015
Quote:
Id say majority of people would dislike paying a monthly fee for software, it would annoy me id rather it be out right and then pay for updates. Or at least an yearly fee. But iv needed this in my life so much i will pay monthly lol

The 'majority' part is the question at the moment. A lot of people I talk to at trade shows understand where I'm coming from. I'm not ruling anything out but I have to make sure that it makes sense for me too.
Quote:
And yes what i meant was weather you had a ruff time scale on the beta lenth or weather it's just when it's ready i.e could be in beta for couple years....

It's always interesting to do public betas. I'm anticipating people to want to use this as early access instead of helping me find bugs. It's going to depend on you guys. The quicker we can find all the issues, or most of them, the quicker I can pull the trigger on the full release. September would be great in my book but I'm not going to release buggy software.
MISTER RIPPER 10:03 PM - 18 June, 2015
diff been waitng fo dis but now dat i hear its a monthly pay its a deal breaker.. i would pay for updates
Damien Sirkis 10:20 PM - 18 June, 2015
Quote:
diff been waitng fo dis but now dat i hear its a monthly pay its a deal breaker.. i would pay for updates

Again, I would wait and see what it's worth to you before calling it a 'deal breaker'. I can't imagine this being a matter of principle, or is it?

Someone who can't afford a few dollars a month (we're talking $4-$6 maybe) for something they find useful probably has way more important things than DJ-ing to worry about.

I'm genuinely interested in finding out where people are coming from here. I've done a bunch of Trade Shows over the last year where people totally understood and were excited by how cheap this would be for the value.

So it this is out of principle then fair enough, I respect your principles. But otherwise... enlight me :)
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:59 AM - 19 June, 2015
I will not pay monthly subscription to library/data management app. Same reason I don't have Spotify and Netflix or any other software that doesn't really provide me with content that I actually "own".

I will pay for monthly dj pools, iTunes match etc

I might buy your rekordbuddy if its a one off purchase. A program as robust as Mix Emergency is sold with a one off purchase. I have been using Serato since 2010 and it does a fine job still managing library.

The very rare occasion I had to play on Traktor just to try it out, a simple drag and drop from my Serato to Traktor did the job.

I rarely play with other software except Serato but if I had this cross-software library management maybe I might give other softwares a try.

And i cant find a current reason to try other software when I get almost every thing I need from Serato (+Mix Emergency)

Good luck with sales.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:02 AM - 19 June, 2015
I've never been to a trade show BTW.
Damien Sirkis 1:55 PM - 19 June, 2015
Quote:
I will not pay monthly subscription to library/data management app. Same reason I don't have Spotify and Netflix or any other software that doesn't really provide me with content that I actually "own".

I understand where you are coming from. Thanks for the honest feedback.

As a side note, you most likely don't own any of the software installed on your computer. Check the EULAs, they all grant you an exclusive license to use the software but not any ownership over it.

It is a matter of perception though, I understand that.
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:15 PM - 19 June, 2015
it's not todo with the money it's more that its annoying say this software was £500 to buy you just sold it to me. now say yo do this software at £2 a month i might not buy it as it's just annoying paying for something monthly and keeping on top of it like what happens if payment for what ever reason does not go through or some other payment issue? i guess i be locked out from my software.
StylesD 3:29 PM - 19 June, 2015
good lord you guys are cheap.
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:43 PM - 19 June, 2015
Quote:

What when the way we are saying works out more money!
Damien Sirkis 4:13 PM - 19 June, 2015
Quote:
what happens if payment for what ever reason does not go through or some other payment issue? i guess i be locked out from my software.

I understand.
Quote:

Hey at least we're talking about paying something. What bugs me the most are the people who come up to me and ask if it's going to be free.

There's a whole generation of kids who grew up stealing music, stealing software and don't even realize that a) it's wrong b) things can't all be free.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:18 PM - 19 June, 2015
Quote:

Just being honest here and i speak for myself.

I didn't even try the 1.x version. I only knew about this Rekord-Buddy 2.0 via Mojaxx' video. At least he got the promo part right. Lets see if the pricing will come right for me too. But this monthly payment thing just doesn't sit well with me. 19.99 seems like a great price to me and with each 1.0 upgrade you can ask folks to pay again i.e 3.0, 4.0

I know this is your livelihood but who knows you could be bought into/over by the bigger players eg InMusic/NI/Pioneer/Serato. Thats where the major bucks is at for most start ups i presume (the takeover). Its only a handful that are still entirely owned by its original owners.
If its as good as it claimed to be in little or no time you will be fat paid :p
Damien Sirkis 4:23 PM - 19 June, 2015
Quote:
19.99 seems like a great price to me

I'm sure it would be a great price, unfortunately even if I did go this route instead of a subscription, 19.99 is not worth me working on this. I would go do something else. There's a reason something like MiK sells for $60.
Quote:
Thats where the major bucks is at for most start ups

I can't plan my livelihood around a potential sale of my business. That would be absolutely crazy. Startups that do this usually have VC money that they are burning through, that's why they need to sell because the VC needs their money back x 4. So far Next Audio Labs is fully self funded.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:22 PM - 19 June, 2015
59.99 it is then. I can afford that, but it still comes down to value.

I don't have MIK. I used KeyFinder.

I will definitely buy it at that price.

I have to commend you for responses. Keep it up and i'm on the lookout for the finished product whatever pricing model you adopt.
Damien Sirkis 6:25 PM - 19 June, 2015
Quote:
it still comes down to value.

Absolutely... and as it should be.
Quote:
I have to commend you for responses.

I appreciate you guys' feedback. It's a hard call to make and every opinion matters.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:33 PM - 19 June, 2015
Defo hard call, i guess you could just go with the monthly and see how thing ride, maybe come up with other options aswel. abit like adobe where you could buy the software for silly money or pay monthly.
Elloar 4:41 AM - 2 July, 2015
Hi and thx Damien for this great work.
I will pad to 60 dollars for that software when it comes out.
It will solve some of my problems :-
I have a question
Is it possible to buy the 1.x version from another Internet sites?? I down have credit card that's why I can not buy your 1.x version. I would also like to try beta 2.0.
Can I buy the first version somewhere on Internet where I can pay with PayPal or so?
It would help me a lot.
Thank you again for this great work.

Elloar
WarpNote 6:25 AM - 2 July, 2015
Thanks for making this effort Damien!
I did hit you up for a beta in the past, but as of now,
I cannot make the time between my day job and gigs.

Personally, I'd rather pay a 60 usd fee for a license than a monthly subscription.
Also I'd have no problem paying a fee for any major upgrades to the software.
I do both buy & rent (eg Adobe CC) software, and I do subscribe to stuff like Spotify and Netflix. Personally I only think the rental/subscription model works when the product is very extensive or costly.

I do realise you have made very elaborate work for organising tracks, intelligent filtering etc, but my main reason for wanting rekordbuddy, and I suspect most others as well, is primarily for carrying over cues/loops/crates between the 3 major platforms: Serato/Rekordbox/Traktor.

Keep on the good work Damien, looking forward to the release!
REDSELECTER 4:28 PM - 2 July, 2015
I own V1 - would def pay an upgrade, and if I didn't own it would pay to buy V2, but the subscription thing would be a turn off.

To me the subscription model for things like Adobe Creative Cloud, Maya, etc. is based on a massive amount of continuous upgrade work occurring along with more dedicated support.
Damien Sirkis 6:27 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
s it possible to buy the 1.x version from another Int

Unfortunately no. It's only available on the App Store and I don't think they take Paypal. I could be wrong.
Quote:
I own V1 - would def pay an upgrade

Upgrades from the App Store will be next to impossible. Apple doesn't share any of the customer info with me and I would have to do something from a website (where you buy 2.0) to check if you have a valid install of 1.0 on your computer. I don't think this will be doable unfortunately. That's another reason why the subscription was appealing to me. Makes it a more fair playing field for new and old users.
Matterhorn 9:16 PM - 6 July, 2015
I also would be willing to pay upfront for the software (whatever price point you work out to be the best for you) with a fee for major upgrades.
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:51 PM - 7 July, 2015
For those questioning the subscription method

I met Damien at DJ Expo and got the idea that it is just him or a really small team working on this. I like the idea of a developer getting a regular and predictable source of revenue rather than a chunk here or there depending on the (time of year, influx of new users, changes to the other software that are out of his control, etc.)

This software is extremely powerful if you are a pro DJ and with iTunes latest version ruining peoples libraries (in all the major DJ software) I'm looking at this to be my main way of organizing my library. I have no problem paying for MIK updates (usually every other release) and I keep other software I use up to date (i.e. accounting, graphics.)

If you add up the small monthly fee, on an annual basis it is completely comparable to other software along these lines, except there is nothing like this.

I also got the idea that the monthly rate will be scalable, so if you only use Serato and Traktor it's cheaper than if you use Serato, Traktor, MIK, and Recordbox.

Programming is something we have come to depend on as DJs and I would love to see independent programmers like Damien make a good living by helping other DJs. There are many awesome apps that have sprung up through these forums that would flourish with the proper support. Software always needs updating, and programmers always need to eat.

Just my 2 cents.

That being said...
how long until we can get our hands on this?!?!?!
StylesD 3:59 PM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
For those questioning the subscription method

I met Damien at DJ Expo and got the idea that it is just him or a really small team working on this. I like the idea of a developer getting a regular and predictable source of revenue rather than a chunk here or there depending on the (time of year, influx of new users, changes to the other software that are out of his control, etc.)

This software is extremely powerful if you are a pro DJ and with iTunes latest version ruining peoples libraries (in all the major DJ software) I'm looking at this to be my main way of organizing my library. I have no problem paying for MIK updates (usually every other release) and I keep other software I use up to date (i.e. accounting, graphics.)

If you add up the small monthly fee, on an annual basis it is completely comparable to other software along these lines, except there is nothing like this.

I also got the idea that the monthly rate will be scalable, so if you only use Serato and Traktor it's cheaper than if you use Serato, Traktor, MIK, and Recordbox.

Programming is something we have come to depend on as DJs and I would love to see independent programmers like Damien make a good living by helping other DJs. There are many awesome apps that have sprung up through these forums that would flourish with the proper support. Software always needs updating, and programmers always need to eat.

Just my 2 cents.

That being said...

well said...agreed.
Damien Sirkis 5:50 PM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
Software always needs updating, and programmers always need to eat.

Thank you. Kind words like this go a long way.
Quote:
That being said...

Agreed. It's been way too long. It's my fault. Working on fixing this and making sure it doesn't happen again for future updates.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:51 PM - 7 July, 2015
^ I'm so excited been wanting someone to make a dj app for sorting music for ages. Wait for the flood of ideas and feature requests once released haha. Again it's not about the money for me just the annoyance of monthly pay 😀
Damien Sirkis 8:24 PM - 14 July, 2015
Thanks LJ!
DJ Stoyvo 4:41 PM - 15 July, 2015
I still wish there was an app that lets you organize your music but all initial crates are created from a folder structure.

I have created an application that downloads all the newly posted music from all the music pools I'm subscribed to and saves it to my NAS. From there, I update my laptop with these folders with new tracks... However there's no way to organize the music once it's downloaded.

If this app had functionality to build crates from folder structures, find duplicate tracks, and had an internal player, I would buy at least 4 different licenses!
Damien Sirkis 5:25 PM - 15 July, 2015
Quote:
I still wish there was an app that lets you organize your music but all initial crates are created from a folder structure.

I think reading FROM a folder structure to import tracks is an interesting idea.

Beyond that, using a folder structure means some of the information/metadata is the folders themselves and that's a static piece of information that prevents you from truly organizing your music in an automated way.

I guess it will be easier to explain once you can play a bit with Rekord Buddy but having all this info as dynamic metadata that can be used to sort things dynamically is a true game changer in how you organize your music.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:15 PM - 15 July, 2015
GIVE IT TO MEEEE LOL.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:29 PM - 15 July, 2015
I've used iTunes for organizing my library but looking to get away from it.
I like that iTunes pulls all of my files into one folder and keeps it organized. Many people don't but I it makes it easy for me to use my library on another computer and I can dump tracks on my phone to preview. I also only like to deal with tagging and not where my file should be (I can just do a search for it)

Is this something Rekord buddy will do or does it just deal with tags?
dj_craigmac 9:34 PM - 15 July, 2015
DAMN MAN.....
Just put the program out ALREADY!!!
I'm tired of this hurry up and wait drama...
put it out and please take my money for crying out loud.
Damien Sirkis 8:45 PM - 20 July, 2015
Quote:
Is this something Rekord buddy will do or does it just deal with tags?

The plan is to support both keeping all the files in their place and moving them to a single folder, this would be a user option like in iTunes.

Note that upon release it will probably only support leaving the files in place.
Damien Sirkis 5:36 PM - 6 August, 2015
There you go guys. I always listen to feedback:

nextaudiolabs.com
StylesD 5:53 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:

nextaudiolabs.com

wow that's awesome Damien.
Mr. Goodkat 6:53 PM - 6 August, 2015
:P
Matterhorn 8:49 AM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:

nextaudiolabs.com

Nice and we appreciate that!
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:15 AM - 12 August, 2015
major file sorting mission right now...wishing I had Rekord Buddy 2.0... any closer?
MISTER RIPPER 4:02 PM - 13 August, 2015
Quote:

nextaudiolabs.com

+1
mauoq 12:36 AM - 4 December, 2015
Hey Damien, any news?? September is long gone :P
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:45 AM - 4 December, 2015
Quote:
Hey Damien, any news?? September is long gone :P

September 2016 is miles away 😜
dj_craigmac 1:32 AM - 11 January, 2016
is this ever coming ? nm
i need it yesterday...
deejdave 2:59 AM - 11 January, 2016
In an age where even Pioneer has a detailed road map and they have been following it to a "T" I am hopeful this is worth the wait. He has a similar map up as well but without knowing what each phase actually means in terms of percentage til completion it is anyone's guess.

I have actually revived my old method (N.I./SSL Database importer/RB 1.0) as I could no longer wait.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:58 AM - 11 January, 2016
He needs buying out by someone with a team and money that can push this! It's huge but taking way to long. He needed to release around time of Rekordbox dj really as that's when the biggest user base would have used it. Now many have just rebuilt there library with rekordbox dj.

Shame really. But for sure i am still excited to see this and as yet have not touched rekordbox until i can sync the library and cues ext.
alec.tron 10:33 PM - 11 January, 2016
Quote:
He needed to release around time of Rekordbox dj really as that's when the biggest user base would have used it. Now many have just rebuilt there library with rekordbox dj.

Yup, to be interesting to as many people as possible, I would have thought so as well... but looks like that train was missed.
Maybe Damien can still capture the DVS crowd... but Rekordbox/Pioneer is announcing something today (12/01/2016) as per their teaser trailer, which hints at nexus2 devices... and I really hope they will also spill the beans about Rekordbox DJ & DVS extension pack...
c.
deejdave 11:27 PM - 11 January, 2016
Quote:
Now many have just rebuilt there library with rekordbox dj.

Exactly my thoughts. I am fearful the largest reason for this has been satisfied by the people who wanted it already. VERY unfortunate as I was rooting for him.
DJ Lucky Lefty 12:57 AM - 12 January, 2016
The problem with a subscription is that the moment you choose to cancel or maybe just can't afford the service anymore, you lose all of your file management and have to start from square one. That happened to me when I made all my crates in realtor then switched to SERATO and had to remake my crates again, so now I simply use iTunes for music management which is free and essentially works with all DJ software
DJ Lucky Lefty 12:58 AM - 12 January, 2016
I would use the service tho if I could buy it straight out but a monthly fee would be a dealbreaker
deejdave 2:19 AM - 12 January, 2016
You 100% WILL be able to buy straight out and besides..............

This is not how database management works within Serato, Rekordbox or Traktor. Once you merge or SYNC the libraries it (RekordBuddy) essentially edits the .XML, . NML (etc.) file and once it is done it is done until you edit it again by using the DJ software itself or using Rekord Buddy again. I mean someone correct me if I am wrong but how would RekordBuddy go in and cancel out your library databases if you stopped paying for it. Besides the smarter way to go would be to purchase software outright after maybe a month of use to ensure it works for you..............
alec.tron 4:17 AM - 12 January, 2016
Quote:

Exactly my thoughts. I am fearful the largest reason for this has been satisfied by the people who wanted it already. VERY unfortunate as I was rooting for him.

Same, alas, I'm holding off still and still with Traktor... but based on the last 2 years frustrations ( Traktor being my primary prep & home system...), I can not wait to update my workflow. But knowing what & how Rekordbox DVS actually behaves is vital.
Either way, Rekordbuddy would be extremely helpful for me [if there will be a Windows version soon]...

Looks like something is coming now from Damien as well:
"Next Audio Labs
January 9 at 1:38pm ·

Who wants a @NAMM announcement? "

Fingers crossed it's ready and the Windows version isn't far behind...
c.
Mr. Goodkat 5:19 AM - 12 January, 2016
rekord buddy trolled u guys so hard. hahahahaha
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:28 AM - 12 January, 2016
He needs to release this soon this will convert alot of people over youtu.be
deejdave 5:12 PM - 12 January, 2016
Quote:
rekord buddy trolled u guys so hard. hahahahaha

Trolled would imply we thought this was in any way actually happening soon. I can promise I in no way thought this personally lol.
alec.tron 11:07 PM - 12 January, 2016
Quote:
Trolled would imply we thought this was in any way actually happening soon.

Consider me trolled then...
Or at least I had high hopes from an experienced developer to release relatively closely to the dates stated by himself. I.e. from what I remember, Mac version around September, Windows version being the priority right afterwards.
No drama at all though. I've been waiting for a Rekordbuddy Windows version for 2 years now, so what's another few months :D
c.
deejdave 11:24 PM - 12 January, 2016
Yah Windows support hasn't even been added to the list of panned features and remains a feature request ATM. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high is all I am saying :(

trello.com
alec.tron 4:57 AM - 13 January, 2016
Quote:
Yah Windows support hasn't even been added to the list of panned features and remains a feature request ATM. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high is all I am saying :(

trello.com

Yea, I saw.
Come on, vote for Windows Version peoples!
c.
deejdave 5:12 PM - 13 January, 2016
I'll sign up and vote it up for u when I get home later tonight. I could be wrong but I remember him (Damien) saying he didn't have much knowledge of Windows platform thus needed to hook up with someone who does......... Which creates an even larger gap. Hopefully Damien can confirm either way though.
Damien Sirkis 5:24 AM - 19 January, 2016
Just a quick heads up that 2.0 will go in public beta next week on OS X.

Head over to the Next Audio Labs website for more info.
Damien Sirkis 5:26 AM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
Yah Windows support hasn't even been added to the list of panned features and remains a feature request ATM

What are you talking about? Look at the little blue label next to the windows support card. Hover over it, it says "Planned' right there :)
deejdave 2:12 PM - 19 January, 2016
I suppose it's an error of translation. Generally things that are already planned wouldn't be considered a feature request anymore. Not around here at least. Have you seen the feature request list here? Lol good to hear though.
Damien Sirkis 5:12 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
I suppose it's an error of translation. Generally things that are already planned wouldn't be considered a feature request anymore. Not around here at least.

I don't think anything was ever translated :) those two things are not mutually exclusive, not in Orange County where I live at least.

Someone comes up with a feature they want, they make a request. I put it in the 'Feature Request' list. Some of those requests make it thru the vetting process and I decide that they are going to be implemented at some point. I then apply the 'planned' sticker to the card to let people know what their request was not only accepted but is in the works.

Does that make sense?
deejdave 5:30 PM - 19 January, 2016
Why would it be categorized under request if it is planned? The tag kind of changes it but if people are finding it under "feature request" and you are still able to vote on it. I don't know. I would say it was just now translated as clearly I had no idea
Yea, I saw.
c.
And clearly the person I was conversing with thought the same..........

Just trying to help. Not trying to piss you off.
Damien Sirkis 5:44 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
Why would it be categorized under request if it is planned? Just trying to help. Not trying to piss you off.

Not pissed off at all :) I just don't know where you get this 'translation' thing from. Nothing was translated.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. A feature request is where the idea came from while 'under consideration', 'planned' or 'rejected' is the status of that idea.
deejdave 6:04 PM - 19 January, 2016
It's all good tho. Just happy to hear it's all coming together.
deejdave 6:05 PM - 19 January, 2016
If it was only me I would have never said anything.
deejdave 8:48 PM - 19 January, 2016
Not for nothing I don't want to take away from your moment anyways. You have obviously been putting in an enormous amount of work and I can say it truly says something about your character to hold off on something in such demand until you are happy with it. I can promise you nobody will ever accuse you of rushing this release :)

(100% meant in a good way BTW)
Damien Sirkis 8:56 PM - 19 January, 2016
All good.
alec.tron 1:50 AM - 20 January, 2016
Quote:
Why would it be categorized under request if it is planned?...
Quote:

c.

And clearly the person I was conversing with thought the same..........

Yep, I wasn't clear on the rekordBuddy 2 trello roadmap semantics either... as traditionally, when I worked for medium to large scale software companies, 'planned' would mean it is 'planned for development to start' (which until it actually has started, is a pipe dream [even internally] of the first order as history & experiences have shown...). If work has started, the label in most cases is 'in development' or 'In Progress' [i.e. Jira speak...].

But, Damien is his own company, so he can do whatever he likes to call things... just chiming in as the way it is presented, as this case shows, confuses people (even tech literate ones, which I would call Dave and me amongst...).

Looking forward to test that Windows demo version and I'll keep my fingers crossed it'll be what I hope it to be until then.
And thanks for explaining it Damien.
c.
Damien Sirkis 5:11 AM - 20 January, 2016
Quote:
just chiming in as the way it is presented, as this case shows, confuses people (even tech literate ones, which I would call Dave and me amongst...).

Fair enough. I'll always listen to a good point.

I've renamed 'Planned' to 'Will happen'. That matches another label names 'Won't happen'.

Does that make more sense?
deejdave 2:16 PM - 20 January, 2016
Love it. So simple yet so clear. Thanks for hearing us out.
DJ. L.A. Styles 7:57 PM - 5 February, 2016
Has this gone live yet as per Damien? Been trying to track this seem like it went cold
REDSELECTER 8:05 PM - 5 February, 2016
a bit unhappy that V1 owners didn't all get a shot at the beta

pissing off your existing customers is not a cool way to do business
alec.tron 11:31 PM - 5 February, 2016
There is a real valid argument to keep the test-group small to keep a closely monitored beta test manageable... it would be great if all v1 customers would have been asked first if they wanted to partake, but then again that would have potentially been much more people than it would be make sense for a beta test.
No reason to be pissed off... if the beta test is more managed & thorough, it will lead to better software which will be in the interest of old v1 as well as new v2 customers.
Just my 2 cents...
c.
deejdave 12:11 AM - 6 February, 2016
V1 user here and loving the Beta furthermore the progress Damien is making. He litteraly fixed the main issue I was having two days after reporting it. He will still honor the discount he originally offered. I was hoping to see the offer on top of the discount the beta users got.
REDSELECTER 12:40 AM - 6 February, 2016
Quote:
There is a real valid argument to keep the test-group small to keep a closely monitored beta test manageable... it would be great if all v1 customers would have been asked first if they wanted to partake, but then again that would have potentially been much more people than it would be make sense for a beta test.
No reason to be pissed off... if the beta test is more managed & thorough, it will lead to better software which will be in the interest of old v1 as well as new v2 customers.
Just my 2 cents...
c.

I'm a software engineer - in my experience only a small percentage of people who sign up to be beta testers actually contribute feedback during the process. I also think that if a beta is set up properly, more feedback, i.e. more testers, results in more bugs identified, etc. YMMV

At the least give V1 customers the first shot at limited beta invites - to do otherwise is a big FU to those of us who supported this application from early on.
deejdave 1:07 AM - 6 February, 2016
I 100% agree with you which is why I kind of agree with his decision on how to handle this. You can pretty much guarantee anyone who got their hands on this beta is there for a reason. If you were able to put in the effort and were following enough to make the deadline chances are you are proactive enough to be a valuable beta tester.

Will it? could it? should he have? All pretty much hearsay as I can 100% vouch the Beta is rolling on quite well. I can even say I promise you that he could not roll out updates any faster no matter how many more testers he had. He is pumping out a new release every two days without fail with HUGE fixes and things are starting to pan out seemingly. Some guys I speak with are still having pretty large issues but trust when I say I can personally vouch on their worth as a beta member and can say with the utmost confidence that everything that can be done on their end has been done.
djnak 1:18 AM - 7 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Will do. I already support audio MP4 files so I'm guessing video won't be that much different.

it's been a while since I checked in...how is testing do mp4 videos work?
DJ Jonasty 4:02 AM - 8 February, 2016
Worlds longest software release. I will pass on this. Will be quicker to develop it myself.
myndgruv 5:03 PM - 8 February, 2016
Quote:
Worlds longest software release. I will pass on this. Will be quicker to develop it myself.

its in beta testing right now. I would rather wait and have it work right then to rush it.
Mr. Goodkat 10:26 PM - 8 February, 2016
Quote:
I would rather wait and have it work right then to rush it.

he probably hasnt had to use serato dj yet :P
myndgruv 12:19 AM - 9 February, 2016
serato dj has worked fine for me :D haha
PressNPlay 1:33 AM - 23 February, 2016
Any way to find out when rekord buddy will be able to support virtual dj 8.1 ?
Damien Sirkis 7:00 PM - 2 March, 2016
Quote:
it's been a while since I checked in...how is testing do mp4 videos work?

they seem to work ok so far. had one issue with rekordbox but fixed that last week.

Quote:
At the least give V1 customers the first shot at limited beta invites - to do otherwise is a big FU to those of us who supported this application from early on.

I don't disagree and it was never meant as a FU. Because of the App Store, I have no way to contact the V1 customers. I don't have the emails. That's one of the reason version 2 will be sold on the Next website instead. Don't always assume evil intentions. I'm doing my best.

Quote:
Any way to find out when rekord buddy will be able to support virtual dj 8.1 ?

It's on the roadmap. The more people vote for it, the more it will go up in priority.
Ron Margan 2:47 PM - 6 March, 2016
any eta?
Damien Sirkis 6:38 PM - 6 March, 2016
Quote:
any eta?

Did you check the FAQ section on my website entitled 'when is 2.0 coming out'?
Ron Margan 6:53 PM - 6 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
any eta?

Did you check the FAQ section on my website entitled 'when is 2.0 coming out'?

yep. it wasn't mentioned there.
deejdave 7:49 PM - 6 March, 2016
"When the public beta is deemed good enough to ship, the app will be made available for purchase to everyone." on FAQ

and if you click "Fix any known syncing bugs" on road map you will a more detailed explanation and why there there can be no exact date yet.
Ron Margan 8:14 PM - 6 March, 2016
Quote:
"When the public beta is deemed good enough to ship, the app will be made available for purchase to everyone." on FAQ

and if you click "Fix any known syncing bugs" on road map you will a more detailed explanation and why there there can be no exact date yet.

thanks
stan.d 8:31 AM - 8 March, 2016
Hello everyone,

i have a problem. as i read on many sites and discussions i see that many people would like to import their cue-points from serato to rekordbox. i would love to be able to do the same thing. when i look to what most of the people say you need to use traktor as e middleman. These post were from 2014. I would like to know if there still isn't any easier way to import my cue-points from serato to rekordbox?

greetings!
deejdave 7:38 PM - 8 March, 2016
As of right now it remains the only real solution. Rekordbox 2 (currently) is nowhere near as reliable........................... especially with a library of actual substance. One thing about Serato users is many have actual libraries with music spanning all years/genres while users of Traktor/Rekordbox generally have the latest songs in playlists and collections smaller than most of my crates by themselves.
SeriousCyrus 11:47 AM - 11 March, 2016
Pretty interested in this as my rane is out of action due to el capitan. I'd like the option to just load up crates to usb and use cdj's, esp. If you can still keep cue points.
deejdave 3:25 PM - 11 March, 2016
With ALL due respect (as I know you are knowledgeable) this has happened on EVERY OS release we have had since SDJ 1.0. Why are people STILL updating to the latest OS.

I am hoping peeps will learn from this for the next OS but then again this is what I had hoped for the last OS when Yosemite was causing issues.

The reason I ask you out of all peeps is I am hoping it is related to your A/V stuff.

Again I mean absolutely NO insult but am just very curious what happened here?
SeriousCyrus 2:02 PM - 12 March, 2016
Djing is not the only thing i use my laptop for, i also develop apps, i don't really have the resources to keep.the multiple os's but having the latest os the minimum requirement.

While i accept that upgrading to the latest os has risks, the el capitan upgrade was a unexpected screw up on apple's part, breaking a fundamental aspect of usb audio.

Normally i accept a few glitches here and there, for the most part i'm not using the fanciest features of sdj, so long as it manages the library, plays cues and loops and isn't unresponsive, i'm happy.

Djing isn't my primary revenue, it's more about music and pocket money to keep buying music, i still take pride in it, but i'm not hustling or changing the music i play to make more.

This latest screw up just made me think, i can still dj old skool without a computer, my vinyl is twenty years old though, buti could still dj just off usb sticks and cdjs. I'd miss having the entirety of my library, but my crates are sufficiently sorted that i could get by without all of it.
deejdave 3:04 PM - 12 March, 2016
OK So I suppose your other (main) ventures require the latest OS and I would imagine especially in regard to development. That makes sense. Not that you owed me an explanation or anything but I was just curious. Thanks for that insight.
SeriousCyrus 4:20 PM - 12 March, 2016
Quote:
OK So I suppose your other (main) ventures require the latest OS and I would imagine especially in regard to development. That makes sense. Not that you owed me an explanation or anything but I was just curious. Thanks for that insight.

No worries. TBH, with a lot of music stuff , you got to wonder if it's worth upgrading at all, some people still swear by leopard. SDJ is still not as perfect as scratch live if you're just using basics, but i'd miss the pitch'n'time plugin.
deejdave 4:28 PM - 12 March, 2016
Absolutely. I keep two MBP's on Yosemite and believe it or not two on Mavericks for this reason. Key shifting aspect of PnT has my full attention so I'm right there with you.
DJ. L.A. Styles 3:03 PM - 12 April, 2016
is this still in test mode? I'm thinking I must of got left behind, I would like to try this myself been waiting for quite some time now.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:12 PM - 12 April, 2016
trello.com

same bugs listed for a while.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:50 AM - 27 April, 2016
Just an update from me.

I am just waiting for them to add the colour sort from Serato to link with Rekordbox. So fingers crossed then that's just about all data people would need to move accross.

From Serato to Rekordbox

*Crates
*Cue Points
*Cue Point colours
*Cue Point Labels
*Loops
*Beatgrids

Rekordbuddy also reads the Key tag of all files then you select which key type you want wriiten to the files. So i have chose camelot so this gets around SDJ not writing tags as camelot. Very handy feature.
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:15 PM - 27 April, 2016
^ are you beta testing RekordBuddy?

if so, how close are we. I was just about to re-run all my files in MIK so I could get my keys back to Camelot
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:45 PM - 27 April, 2016
Yep i am beta testing it. It's coming along but still a long way off. And it's still very limited to a small library around 5000files.

I'm testing on a very small library around 4000files. As my Serato library will not work.
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:46 PM - 28 April, 2016
That's not what I was hoping to hear. It would probably be quicker to manually recreate all my playlists and cues in RekordBox and Traktor than wait on this software. To be honest, I'm was mostly looking forward to the playlist sorting features but that is a mute point considering they would be most useful for a working DJ's large library.
deejdave 9:24 PM - 29 April, 2016
As of yesterday............... 70,616 files successfully SYNCed via Rekord Buddy. transferring new playlists into Rekordbox as we speak................ slow process :(
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:29 AM - 18 May, 2016
I thought we would start seeing more progress once the beta started but now the trello hasn't even been updated.

wondering if there will be a way to manage which software's key reading shows up in the key tag.

I ran my library through SeratoDJ's but now all my key tags are in original notation. All good when you flip the setting to camelot, but when I go back to use a stable version of the DJ software (ahem...) my work flow is all jacked.

My question is:
With RekordBuddy, can I just assign the MIK key tag to the key column (it's still in there) without re-running everything through MIK again and re-writing to the key tag.
deejdave 4:05 PM - 18 May, 2016
Just do what you always do and have rekord buddy read serato and sync all from there. There is an option to protect library for any given sw so it is never altered. So if u use mik then use serato to analyze then it will all sync with same values.

Also it has been all bug fixing as it should be so the progress has been huge actually. As a matter of fact the guy actually work with my personal library to get it working and did in fact get it working.

Doing a great job imo.......
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:22 PM - 18 May, 2016
awesome. I've been waiting 2 and half years. I think this is amazing software.

ready to support
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:49 PM - 18 May, 2016
Quote:
I thought we would start seeing more progress once the beta started but now the trello hasn't even been updated.

wondering if there will be a way to manage which software's key reading shows up in the key tag.

I ran my library through SeratoDJ's but now all my key tags are in original notation. All good when you flip the setting to camelot, but when I go back to use a stable version of the DJ software (ahem...) my work flow is all jacked.

My question is:
With RekordBuddy, can I just assign the MIK key tag to the key column (it's still in there) without re-running everything through MIK again and re-writing to the key tag.

Yes rekordbuddy read the key tag then you choose what you want it saving as so just choose Camelot and it will do it. Then camelot keys will be shown in all software.
dj_craigmac 4:15 PM - 30 August, 2016
is this going to ever happen ???FOR THE LOVE OF GOD RELEASE THE PROGRAM ALREADY!!!
Ron Margan 5:36 PM - 30 August, 2016
i'm using the beta for a month now.
two weeks ago, i started playing using USB only, and left my mac inside my bad (as backup)
all my playlist and cue points moved (it has some bugs, but still pretty good).
dj_craigmac 8:13 PM - 30 August, 2016
Quote:
two weeks ago, i started playing using USB only, and left my mac inside my bad (as backup)

can I get the beta too? Please I desperately need it.
deejdave 8:24 PM - 30 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

can I get the beta too? Please I desperately need it.

Did you try going to the website and getting it? next.audio
alec.tron 10:41 PM - 27 September, 2016
Heya,
question for Dave or people who have rekordbuddy 2 - does it work (on a mac) with SDJ as well as SSL ? I would assume so, since SSLD & SDJ mostly use the same _serato_ folder based library components... but wanted to check.
Cheers.
c.
deejdave 10:51 PM - 27 September, 2016
Yes. Will lose the last 3 cue points etc but other than that yah.
alec.tron 10:56 PM - 27 September, 2016
Thanks deejdave!
So, the safe number of cue-points across all 3 platforms is...5...? [ 8 cue point is standard ?? ... so minues 3...? Old vinyl/DVS head here... only slowly starting to set cue points and when doing so I would need a system so they're transferable to all]

Also, is the different cue point types (from traktor... not sure if the others have different types ?) are retained as well ?
Cheers.
c.
deejdave 11:31 PM - 27 September, 2016
If transferable for all keep the most important as the first five. Rekordbox uses three (hot cues) traktor uses the eight, serato DJ uses 8 and rekordbox DJ uses 8. The colors are transferable as well as the cue point labels so no worries there.

As far as names they are cue points for all with the exception of Rekordbox in which case first three are "hot cues" the remaining are saved (if preferred) as "memory cues".
deejdave 11:32 PM - 27 September, 2016
Quote:
Rekordbox uses three (hot cues) traktor uses the eight, serato DJ uses 8 and rekordbox DJ uses 8

Oh yeah and obviously SSL uses five.
alec.tron 11:33 PM - 27 September, 2016
Thanks for sharing the knowledge dave!
Much appreciated, saved me a ton on google-ing ;)
c.
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:29 AM - 6 November, 2016
I just purchased and installed. How's everybody getting along with this program that has been using it so far?
Damien Sirkis 5:54 PM - 9 February, 2018
If anyone is having issues please contact me via support on the next.audio website. I can't monitor all the forums around the web and I want to be able to help.