DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

For Those Who Use Them, What Outboard Mixing Boards Are You Using?

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:22 PM - 29 May, 2015
In other words, between the mixer's output and the amp / powered speaker connection some of us use a mixing board to have better control of the sound, provide equalization, limit, etc.

What brands and models are y'all using?
Joee 1:27 PM - 29 May, 2015
i would recommend a new jawn that came out, but then your going to say i have ulterior motives
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:01 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
i would recommend a new jawn that came out, but then your going to say i have ulterior motives

Dude, you don't even use a mixing board....Or EQ. This thread isn't built for you.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:02 PM - 29 May, 2015
I'll wait for the esteemed "Professionals" of the board to chime in.
Joee 2:56 PM - 29 May, 2015
affordable reliable good quality but most of all for you cheap

the 802 son
www.mackie.com

and since i work for rcf i can't leave this out
www.rcf.it

Quote:
I'll wait for the esteemed "Professionals" of the board to chime in.

don't be mad…… JM
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:22 PM - 29 May, 2015
Steve Akoi recommended this rack to me

www.amazon.co.uk
Joee 3:30 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Steve Akoi recommended this rack to me

www.amazon.co.uk

good ventilation built into that rack, it will defiantly keep your equipment cool
DJFree 4:09 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:

the 802 son
www.mackie.com

Fuck that Mackie mixer lol....I have it and Mic 1 portion doesn't work anymore....I've used it maybe 5 times....all of my gear is protected in cases/bags and this shit has something rattling around in it....once another channel goes out I'm getting a Allen & Heath joint.
Thundercat 4:10 PM - 29 May, 2015
On the road I use none. At home I still run everything through my Tascam Portastudio 464 medias.audiofanzine.com
Joee 4:36 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

the 802 son
www.mackie.com
Fuck that Mackie mixer lol....I have it and Mic 1 portion doesn't work anymore....I've used it maybe 5 times....all of my gear is protected in cases/bags and this shit has something rattling around in it....once another channel goes out I'm getting a Allen & Heath joint.

3 mackie board…… I've never had one single issue
DJFree 4:49 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the 802 son
www.mackie.com

3 mackie board…… I've never had one single issue

Good for you. Just telling my experience.
Joee 4:59 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Good for you. Just telling my experience.

+1
DJ Guayo 5:30 PM - 29 May, 2015
I have an Allen and Heath Zed 10FX and have been using it for over 2 years. It has been rock solid and no issues. 4 mic inputs, USB, and stereo inputs, small footprint.

www.sweetwater.com
DJFree 5:31 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
I have an Allen and Heath Zed 10FX and have been using it for over 2 years. It has been rock solid and no issues. 4 mic inputs, USB, and stereo inputs, small footprint.

www.sweetwater.com

That's what I want!
DJ Guayo 5:41 PM - 29 May, 2015
I'm looking to possibly upgrade to this reverb.com here. Same exact model but only for the line faders instead. Preference really.
Joee 5:45 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
I'm looking to possibly upgrade to this reverb.com here. Same exact model but only for the line faders instead. Preference really.

peep this one ……if you like brand uniformity ,nice match with your new speaker
www.fullcompass.com
Joee 5:46 PM - 29 May, 2015
DJ Guayo 5:53 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
& the 10C
www.fullcompass.com

I did eye that one as well. The one thing I didnt like was the lack of IEC. You will have to carry around and worry about the power supply getting lost or damaged. I may get over it and roll with RCF, not sure yet though.
Joee 5:57 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
You will have to carry around and worry about the power supply getting lost or damaged.

you could alway buy a spare one…….i had to do this with the rane ttm52 & ttm56 since they had that phone jack style plug

the rcf is nice has built in compressors allows you to add either usb or bluetooth connectivity
Taipanic 6:05 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:

www.sweetwater.com

+1
This mixer is quality, rock solid, & versatile. Buy once & done.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:38 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

the 802 son
www.mackie.com

I'm not a Mackie fan myself...

Just sayin....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:39 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:

www.sweetwater.com

THAT is a sezzy mo-fo rite thurr....
Joee 6:44 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the 802 son
www.mackie.com

I'm not a Mackie fan myself...

Just sayin....

my bad i got what you need, complete with 5 band eq
en.audiofanzine.com

:-P
Joee 6:46 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

www.sweetwater.com

sezzyer----> reverb.com
Taipanic 6:55 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.sweetwater.com

sezzyer----> reverb.com

Very nice with the slides. If I was doing a lot of mixing on it I'd go with that one for sure. For what I use it for mostly, I'd stay with the standard and save the $200.00
pdidy 12:29 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
The one thing I didnt like was the lack of IEC. You will have to carry around and worry about the power supply getting lost or damaged.

That's a dealbreaker for me, I would never own a board with an external power supply ever....
DJ GaFFle 12:56 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
The one thing I didnt like was the lack of IEC. You will have to carry around and worry about the power supply getting lost or damaged.

That's a dealbreaker for me, I would never own a board with an external power supply ever....

+1... My old club use to have a Yamaha mixer with a proprietary power supply. That connector got frayed and failed one night. Never go this route.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.sweetwater.com

sezzyer----> reverb.com

Very nice with the slides. If I was doing a lot of mixing on it I'd go with that one for sure. For what I use it for mostly, I'd stay with the standard and save the $200.00

So, I don't like the fact that the slide fader model takes up more real estate. I'd stick to the knob version, it's much smaller.
DJ GaFFle 1:16 AM - 30 May, 2015
Also... is the FX portion needed on the Allen & Heath Zeds? What type of effects? Sounds kind of useless for a DJ.
Joee 1:17 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:

Quote:
+1... My old club use to have a Yamaha mixer with a proprietary power supply. That connector got frayed and failed one night. Never go this route.

valid points

but if i were to take that approce with mixers, i would have never bought a rane ttm52 or

ttm56 (not the 56s) they both had phone jack style power supplies

www.pawnplex.com
www.tribemagazine.com

two of the Best mixers I've ever owned …….i just bought a spare supply for around $20
DJ Guayo 1:24 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
Also... is the FX portion needed on the Allen & Heath Zeds? What type of effects? Sounds kind of useless for a DJ.

To be honest I haven't used them yet but I figured why not. If I ever did need a reverb or delay effect I would have it available.
DJ GaFFle 1:30 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

valid points

but if i were to take that approce with mixers, i would have never bought a rane ttm52 or

ttm56 (not the 56s) they both had phone jack style power supplies...

And I've said this in the past... the jackass at Rane that decided to put that RJ-11 phone-jack style proprietary power supply needed to have his ass kicked, then fired. Those skinny little phone-jack clips easily break, ESPECIALLY with the rigors and constant setup handling from mobile DJ's...

They did right by going to a standard IEC-style power cord in the TTM-57, 61, 62, etc.
DJ GaFFle 1:33 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

To be honest I haven't used them yet but I figured why not. If I ever did need a reverb or delay effect I would have it available.

So one would use such effect on like the mic lines? Sort of like old school echo while you're on the mic?
Joee 1:40 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
And I've said this in the past... the jackass at Rane that decided to put that RJ-11 phone-jack style proprietary power supply needed to have his ass kicked, then fired

lol….

damn…i would have thought he stole from you…..lol

moot points in my case, as the mixer & power supply was always in the case it never got disconnected

but i do know of a few people that broke the little plastic peace that snapped the phone jack in
DJ Guayo 1:44 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So one would use such effect on like the mic lines? Sort of like old school echo while you're on the mic?

Exactly. Say you have a singer with a track. You have the reverb option etc. it also has a built in DI box for guitarist.
Coltrane09 2:14 AM - 30 May, 2015
FWIW, Soundcraft makes an excellent board. SC and A&H are boards I would recommend.

www.fullcompass.com

The down side to using either board is that they take a up a little more real estate compared to smaller boards of course. However, they're both built rock solid.
Mr.Jace 2:24 AM - 30 May, 2015
I've always used 19 inch rack mount mixers. Another good dj mixer is Denon dnx500. Been using mine since 2008. Still feels solid, no issues. I use a TC EletronicsM350 reverb/delay processor and have it plugged in to the send /return on my Denon. Very clean equitment.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:11 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
They did right by going to a standard IEC-style power cord in the TTM-57, 61, 62, etc.

You got that right, the MINUTE I heard the 56S had a regular power cord, I was on it....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:12 AM - 30 May, 2015
DJFree 3:13 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
Oh, BTW www.djjohnnym.com

You showing off lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:16 AM - 30 May, 2015
Wha? I just asked a question.....
Al Poulin 3:25 AM - 30 May, 2015
Yamaha MG12XU, Yorkville PGM8, Peavey PV10 and older Yamaha MG12/4 that I think I've had foerever but still works 100% - not a single issue in its entire life!

The MG12XU is NEW - still in box. The PGM8 works OK, but is flat on the table , contrary to all of my other mixers. Also, the phantom switch is right next to the power switch and shaped the same, so very easy to confuse the two. Built-in 7 band EQ is convenient, but would like more stereo channels and for some reason, the record out doesn't send out the effects... Finally, I've had issues with a few channels being noisy at really low levels (needed cleaning after less than 2 years) so I can't really recommend it.

The Peavey PV10 has been very good overall and has terrific sounding effects. I did have trouble with my master out faders however (fixed 2X Under warranty), that still don't align properly if you want event output of the L and R channels. I do like that both stereo channels accept 1/4", XLR and RCA. Very conveninent. 3 band EQ is a little strange however, with the mid knob frequency being centered somewhere around 250 hz as opposed to 1.5khz which is more standard.

The Yamaha MG12/4 is still my favorite mixer overall when I don't need effects. It is all metal, sounds great, feels solid and has a perfect record all around for reliability. I like that everything plugs into the back instead of on top, so it's much easier to hide the wires. The new MG12XU I purchased does look promising as Yamaha has gone back to metal instad of plastic for most of the board.

Al
desmorider 3:41 AM - 30 May, 2015
Isolating power supply away from equipment chassis cuts down on noise. Rane has always been about sound quality. In all the years that i've used those power supplies on 4 different mixer and some rack mounted equipment, I have never broken off the dumb ass clip. I have lost a couple of RS-1. They are like gold since ranes supplier has stop making them. They sell sometime for $80-$100. I know plenty of cats that break that clip.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:04 AM - 30 May, 2015
Thank you sirs!
DJ GaFFle 11:22 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:

JM is "Officially" in the modern era of DJ gear: gifsoup.com

:-p
DJ GaFFle 11:32 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
Isolating power supply away from equipment chassis cuts down on noise. Rane has always been about sound quality. In all the years that i've used those power supplies on 4 different mixer and some rack mounted equipment, I have never broken off the dumb ass clip. I have lost a couple of RS-1. They are like gold since ranes supplier has stop making them. They sell sometime for $80-$100. I know plenty of cats that break that clip.

Eh... I just don't see them being concerned with "noise" on a DJ battle mixer. If they were, that seemed like the wrong approach. There's plenty of higher-end "audiophile" gear that have internal power supplies. And "if" they do integrate an external power supply, they don't use a cheesy phone-jack clip to secure it.

No excuses for that one Rane...
DJ GaFFle 11:54 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
... I know plenty of cats that break that clip.

And do they get thru it by using tape to secure it to the mixer? Dude's will end up buying a $60+ power supply just because a $.01 cent clip broke.
desmorider 1:54 PM - 30 May, 2015
@djjohnny,

When is that upscale gig with the new setup? Interested in your review, and feelings on your venture into powered speakers. I think the manufactures have the powered tops dialed in, but its still a little to be desired in the powered sub category. Making them portable, with 2 to 4 times the rms power of the tops, and being cost effective is quite a challenge. Man you might end up buying a trailer and 4 more etx18sp to keep up with those zxa5's.
pdidy 7:49 PM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:

well dam that didnt take long......
Joee 8:15 PM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

almost doesn't seem like him

he asked about it……than bought it 14 hours later

no debating on witch one to buy for 2 or 3 months……..lol

i guess the new speakers gave him that itch for something else shinny & new
dj_soo 11:36 PM - 30 May, 2015
I like soundcraft gear for inexpensive, good sounding and well made line mixers.

But more than mackies but much better made.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:25 AM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Nope! At the event using it now.
desmorider 1:31 AM - 31 May, 2015
what are the hours for the event? what time over? How much was the mixer Johnny?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:57 AM - 31 May, 2015
Since i own a Bose L1 Model II, I have been using its T1 Mixer. 3 mic/4 line input and efx.
deezlee 7:40 PM - 31 May, 2015
Mackie all day.
I wouldn't buy a Mackie speaker, but the mixing boards are rock solid in my experience.
JDforKing 7:52 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
Mackie all day.
I wouldn't buy a Mackie speaker, but the mixing boards are rock solid in my experience.

+1
DJ GaFFle 7:53 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Mackie all day.

+1

+2
Joee 7:58 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mackie all day.

+1

+2

+3
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:04 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
no debating on witch one to buy for 2 or 3 months……..lol

Nobody constantly saying "Hey, consider these' <Insert whatever brand on a whim>, and then make up 100 reasons why I should buy them, even though they don't and or haven't owned them.....

Yep, a few names came up, Allen and Heath, a few actual real life owners, and presto!

An informed decision!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:05 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

JM is "Officially" in the modern era of DJ gear: gifsoup.com

:-p

Now I don't have to buy ANY more audio equipment....

Ever!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:07 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
No excuses for that one Rane...

lol, i was pretty bummed when I saw that original 56 I had, had the phone jack...

Having had the AC-23 Crossover, I wasn't worried too much as the power brick stayed inside the amp rack...

But man, a MIXER?

Naw fam, I was non pins and needles with that mess...
Joee 8:09 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
even though they don't and or haven't owned them.....

are you sure about that?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:10 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

are you sure about that?

Oh, so you've owned EVERY PIECE of equipment you've offered an opinion on?
Rebelguy 8:23 PM - 31 May, 2015
I currently own and use a Soundcraft MFXi8 but am testing out the Soundcraft Ui16 and X32 rack as a possible replacement for it. The Soundcraft is a solid mixer but the ability to mix on an iPad from anywhere in the room and routing possibilities are definitely needed at my events nowadays.

Soundcraft MFXi8

www.sweetwater.com

Soundcraft Ui16

www.sweetwater.com

Behringer X32 rack

www.sweetwater.com
Joee 8:29 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
Oh, so you've owned EVERY PIECE of equipment you've offered an opinion on?

i said it before i don't make stuff up, you can be assured my opinions are based off of things that i have used or owned

sure theres plenty of items that i say look into these or check this item out, but thats all it is i don't claim to know about thing that I've never used i.e some one ask about a light weight sub i tell them look into the jbl prx715xlf it's 56lbs

now when i tell someone this is better or i like this much better it's because I've used it or owned it

i just try to give someone all there options and help them out the best i can,i just really like gear i'm a gear whore……I've been slowing down tho

you the perfect example…..you asked i gave you plenty of options to the point that you said "now i can't get rid of him help"

so you got what you got……but let me tell you….i know for a fact that yowl would have been happy with two qsc kw181 & two yamaha dxr15…..that system kick some @ss and is actually cheap when you factor in what your getting
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:39 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
i said it before i don't make stuff up, you can be assured my opinions are based off of things that i have used or owned

So you OWN these?
Quote:
Joee 10:56 AM - 29 May, 2015

Quote:

the 802 son
www.mackie.com

and since i work for rcf i can't leave this out
www.rcf.it

Quote:
sure theres plenty of items that i say look into these or check this item out, but thats all it is i don't claim to know about thing that I've never used

So again, you throw stuff out there...that you've never owned....

Quote:
you the perfect example…..you asked i gave you plenty of options to the point that you said "now i can't get rid of him help"

Right, when a person makes up their mind, and it doesn't co-incide with what YOU think they should have, then you keep rambling on....even though it's CLEAR they've made a decision....

Quote:
so you got what you got……but let me tell you….i know for a fact that yowl would have been happy with two qsc kw181 & two yamaha dxr15…..that system kick some @ss and is actually cheap when you factor in what your getting

^^^^^ I rest my case

You just don't listen...

Once I said i wanted to stay brand specific, it's like you were like - Naw "WE" gonna get this....
Joee 8:53 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
So you OWN these?

I've used that & many other mackie mixers

the rcf was me joking since errybody wants to say i'm a rcf rep,but you already knew that

Quote:
So again, you throw stuff out there...that you've never owned....

again i tell the individual look into to it…..you don't see me acting like i know anything about it other than specs
Quote:
Right, when a person makes up their mind, and it doesn't co-incide with what YOU think they should have, then you keep rambling on....even though it's CLEAR they've made a decision....

you can make up your mind all you want…..my gob is to give you options

Quote:
^^^^^ I rest my case

You just don't listen...

Once I said i wanted to stay brand specific, it's like you were like - Naw "WE" gonna get this..

no i just threw that system out there only after i purchased the dxr12……they sound pretty damn good

two kw181 with two dxr15…..would have set you back a little more than 3K, i knew you weren't going to buy it just put it out there …..i already knew you were going to get the zxa5

at the end of the day you got a quality system that makes you happy sounds killer & will give you many years of reliable service……
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:04 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
I've used that & many other mackie mixers

But don't own any....Gotcha.

Quote:
again i tell the individual look into to it…..you don't see me acting like i know anything about it other than specs

That's debatable....but not here....

Quote:
you can make up your mind all you want…..my gob JOB is to give you options

Even AFTER they've made up their minds.....yep...gotcha....

Quote:
no i just threw that system out there only after i purchased the dxr12……they sound pretty damn good

Again, rambling after decisions have been made....

Quote:
i already knew you were going to get the zxa5

Then you were just typing to hear yourself type....
Joee 9:06 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:

again are you sure about that

Quote:
Then you were just typing to hear yourself type....

i like hearing the little clicks of the macbook pro keys
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:08 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

again are you sure about that

At this point...nobody cares....
Joee 9:16 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
At this point...nobody cares....

lmao

yea you defiantly still mad……you might need another week to get over it
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:59 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

are you sure about that?

LMAO @ if the shoe fits....
Joee 10:04 PM - 31 May, 2015
you gotta get over it son

i was as you say keepin it 100

and you get/still mad

get
over
it!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:06 PM - 31 May, 2015
Dude, there's nothing to get over...
Joee 10:27 PM - 31 May, 2015
beta.diylol.com

FYI, you might want to invest in some uplighting upscale clients expect it (& pay for it)
www.google.com
DJFree 10:40 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
FYI, you might want to invest in some uplighting upscale clients expect it (& pay for it)
www.google.com

That's where the money at.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:40 PM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
you gotta get over it son

Smh..

And EXACTLY what is there to "get over"?
pdidy 10:21 PM - 10 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

well, my new mixer made me break that rule....lol
Joee 10:27 PM - 10 January, 2016
Quote:

QSC 16?

did you get a good price?
pdidy 11:09 PM - 10 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

QSC 16?

Yes I got it with the sennheiser mic bundle. The mic was $600 and I basically got it for free with that deal. Turns out it was incorrectly priced but with a lil persistence, they honored it anyway. :)
Joee 11:16 PM - 10 January, 2016
cool, give us a review when you can along with pics

so what made you change to a digital touch screen mixer & made you break the no external power supply rule?
DJ GaFFle 2:33 PM - 11 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

QSC 16?

Yes I got it with the sennheiser mic bundle. The mic was $600 and I basically got it for free with that deal. Turns out it was incorrectly priced but with a lil persistence, they honored it anyway. :)

Which Sennheiser mic?
pdidy 7:17 PM - 11 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

QSC 16?

Which Sennheiser mic?

Sennheiser EW 135 G3
www.amazon.com
djvtyme85 7:24 PM - 11 January, 2016
i use the qsc touchmix 8 with ev etx 18 subs and jbl prx 712 & 715 tops and omg this lil thing made these speakers so much more dynamic. still learning how it for now but so far i'm loving it.
pdidy 7:29 PM - 11 January, 2016
Quote:
i use the qsc touchmix 8 with ev etx 18 subs and jbl prx 712 & 715 tops and omg this lil thing made these speakers so much more dynamic. still learning how it for now but so far i'm loving it.

did you know you can use the aux's as crossover outputs ?
pdidy 8:44 PM - 11 January, 2016
Quote:

I don't have many pictures because I gave it to my assistant/ DJ partner this week so he can master it, I don't want to be the only one that knows how to use it at an event.
Quote:
so what made you change to a digital touch screen mixer

I just bought a QSC touchmix16 and used it for the first time this weekend, in short this mini digital board is badassss.....It flawlessly and remotely replaced a 16 channel analog board 3X its size & dbx processing running a band, vocalist and dj. To have total control of every aspect of the sound system, band/vocalist and dj from any point in the room at any time is some next level sh*t.....lol

My DBX driverack PA2 requires a router for wifi (apple express $99) in order to use the remote feature with iPad but the qsc touchmix has a wifi dongle so its built in, therefore no router is required when using the iPad as a remote :) (but one can be used to extend your range)

While the driverack may have slightly more advanced speaker management/processing, the touchmix can pretty much do it all with very lil trade-off and sounds freakin great.

No physical faders: Yes, the touch screen is by far one of the BIGGEST trade-off's that's taking me a little time to get used too, Its all part of a NEW learning curve which I consider minor for all the benefits. Its kinda like going from vinyl to DVS on a computer, you may kick and scream at first but eventually you will never want to go back. If you are not a regular iPad, tablet, touchscreen user the learning curve will be much steeper or frustrating.

But in order to build a board this small the physical faders had to go.

Quote:
what made you break the no external power supply rule?

The fact that I could replace 2 pieces of gear with a device that is more powerful at less than half its size and a backup power supply could be purchased for just $55.....

This is my regular setup with a band & vocalists i26.photobucket.com. That gear can now be replaced with this i26.photobucket.com

Disclaimer: the qsc touchmix16 is overkill for BASIC dj use, your $200-$500 analog board will be more than adequate. I would only recommend it to advanced users who also provide sound for small/medium bands and vocalists.
577er 8:45 PM - 11 January, 2016
- Mackie 402 VLZ for most wedding ceremonies / second rooms / small quick n' fast or dusty outdoor setups.

- Mackie 1202 VLZ for 90% of events, lives in a case with two wireless mics all pre-wired for super fast & clean hook up.

- QSC Touchmix16 for mixing bands or DJ events like weddings in places with nightmare acoustics. The ipad / iphone remote option is very nice but I still miss the physical faders. Great for recording DJ mixes. /

I prefer the sound of the Allen & Heath mixers but for mobile work the Mackies are way sturdier.
pdidy 8:50 PM - 11 January, 2016
Quote:
Great for recording DJ mixes. /

I don't do much recording so I forgot about that feature but it might be a big deal to some of you.....Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 9:15 PM - 11 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I don't have many pictures because I gave it to my assistant/ DJ partner this week so he can master it, I don't want to be the only one that knows how to use it at an event.
Quote:
so what made you change to a digital touch screen mixer

I just bought a QSC touchmix16 and used it for the first time this weekend, in short this mini digital board is badassss.....It flawlessly and remotely replaced a 16 channel analog board 3X its size & dbx processing running a band, vocalist and dj. To have total control of every aspect of the sound system, band/vocalist and dj from any point in the room at any time is some next level sh*t.....lol

My DBX driverack PA2 requires a router for wifi (apple express $99) in order to use the remote feature with iPad but the qsc touchmix has a wifi dongle so its built in, therefore no router is required when using the iPad as a remote :) (but one can be used to extend your range)

While the driverack may have slightly more advanced speaker management/processing, the touchmix can pretty much do it all with very lil trade-off and sounds freakin great.

No physical faders: Yes, the touch screen is by far one of the BIGGEST trade-off's that's taking me a little time to get used too, Its all part of a NEW learning curve which I consider minor for all the benefits. Its kinda like going from vinyl to DVS on a computer, you may kick and scream at first but eventually you will never want to go back. If you are not a regular iPad, tablet, touchscreen user the learning curve will be much steeper or frustrating.

But in order to build a board this small the physical faders had to go.

Quote:
what made you break the no external power supply rule?

The fact that I could replace 2 pieces of gear with a device that is more powerful at less than half its size and a backup power supply could be purchased for just $55.....

This is my regular setup with a band & vocalists i26.photobucket.com. That gear can now be replaced with this i26.photobucket.com

Disclaimer: the qsc touchmix16 is overkill for BASIC dj use, your $200-$500 analog board will be more than adequate. I would only recommend it to advanced users who also provide sound for small/medium bands and vocalists.

cool…….good luck with it
Rebelguy 12:03 AM - 12 January, 2016
I had the Touchmix 16 when it first released. I thought it was a great concept but I couldn't deal with the laggy touchscreen response and random bugs. During the middle of th second event I used it at the unit became unresponsive. It was still passing audio so I waited until there was a break and rebooted the system. I ended up returning the unit but I've heard most of the issues I experienced were solved in firmware updates. It was a great sounding board and I may give it another shot on the next release. Hopefully they fix the touchscreen lag and lack of recallable gains.

I'm curious to see what they add to the Touchmix 24 when it drops.
djvtyme85 9:09 PM - 12 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

did you know you can use the aux's as crossover outputs ?

nope wasn't aware.
DJ Guayo 9:40 PM - 21 January, 2016
Here you go Joee. lol

mixer.rcf.it
Rebelguy 10:01 PM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:
Here you go Joee. lol

mixer.rcf.it

I'm actually waiting for reviews on that one.
RonDu 10:16 PM - 21 January, 2016
Question - what are the recommended settings when using an external mixer?

I hear stories of dudes blowing their powered speakers and I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the external mixer settings.

I keep my the Master on my DJ mixer at 12 when using tables or CDJs, and at 2 when I am using the DDJ-SB. What setting should I have the external mixer set to that is going out to the powered speakers? I'm looking to get the hottest signal out of the external mixer without distortion or clipping but I don't want it to possibly damage my speakers/sub.

I have no complaints with my current set up but I think it may have more potential.

Thanks
Joee 10:31 PM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:
Here you go Joee. lol

mixer.rcf.it

haha……..nice
dj_soo 11:26 PM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:

use a good gain stage to find the highest point you system will go without clipping and then never go past that point.
pdidy 11:48 PM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:

I hear stories of dudes blowing their powered speakers and I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the external mixer settings.

I keep my the Master on my DJ mixer at 12 when using tables or CDJs, and at 2 when I am using the DDJ-SB. What setting should I have the external mixer set to that is going out to the powered speakers? I'm looking to get the hottest signal out of the external mixer without distortion or clipping but I don't want it to possibly damage my speakers/sub.

I have no complaints with my current set up but I think it may have more potential.

Thanks

there's no correlation between using an external mixer and blowing powered speakers. The fact is its exactly the opposite, an inexperienced user is more likely to blow a powered speaker without an external mixer.

Why ? I will use my personal experience as an example. I was providing sound and gear for a small event using a VCI-300 connected directly to a EV zxa5 powered speaker. The event did not require High volume so the setup was more than adequate. I continuously warn a guest dj and promoter to avoid redlining the VCI300 but my warnings were ignored and the zxa5 eventually blew from excessive distortion from constant redlining of the VCI300.

Why did the vci-300 blow the zxa5 ? Because like many low end mixers and controllers, they lack the required headroom and output to drive powered speaker with a CLEAN signal at High volume without sending a Clipped/distorted signal. The VCI300 lacks the headroom to push a zxa5 to its max volume without clipping very early. So no matter how great your speaker may be a Clipped/distorted signal can destroy or damage them very quickly.

An external mixer rectifies this by providing the hottest, cleanest, distorted signal possible without the need to push the low output controller or dj mixer in order to get the Highest output possible.

So when you hear stories of dudes blowing their powered speakers while using an external mixer you can presume it was due to many variables associated with User error and lack of experience from over-driving the speaker or bad gain structure.
pdidy 12:11 AM - 22 January, 2016
Correction: An external mixer rectifies this by providing the hottest, cleanest, "undistorted" signal possible.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:33 AM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:
Correction: An external mixer rectifies this by providing the hottest, cleanest, "undistorted" signal possible.

I was wondering about that for a min....lol.
Just1Fixxx 3:42 AM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:
I had the Touchmix 16 when it first released. I thought it was a great concept but I couldn't deal with the laggy touchscreen response and random bugs. During the middle of th second event I used it at the unit became unresponsive. It was still passing audio so I waited until there was a break and rebooted the system. I ended up returning the unit but I've heard most of the issues I experienced were solved in firmware updates. It was a great sounding board and I may give it another shot on the next release. Hopefully they fix the touchscreen lag and lack of recallable gains.

I'm curious to see what they add to the Touchmix 24 when it drops.

Can anyone confirm that these issues have been resolved with the updates?
pdidy 3:55 AM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:
Can anyone confirm that these issues have been resolved with the updates?

yes the bugs mentioned were fixed a year ago.
RonDu 7:35 AM - 22 January, 2016
Thanks a lot dj_soo and pdiddy. *dapz*
Papa Midnight 8:57 PM - 22 January, 2016
Behringer X2442USB.

*Runs and hides*

I know what you guys are going to say, but I've had it for several years, and it's been solid for me.
d:raf 9:11 PM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:
So when you hear stories of dudes blowing their powered speakers while using an external mixer you can presume it was due to many variables associated with User error and lack of experience from over-driving the speaker or bad gain structure.

One thing I've seen a lot of n00bs do that makes me cringe is power things off in the wrong order; i.e. they'll kill the mixer while the speakers are still on (and turned up full blast).

madisonaveryblog.files.wordpress.com