DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Tips on mixing deep house / House music

Col1990 9:15 PM - 24 May, 2015
Can anyone give me tips on how to mix this so it flows I think I get the grasp of phrasing I can defo mix Hiphop n Rnb but with this sort of music like for this track - Crunk (Afrojack Edit) I find it werid to mix because its high energy and if I wanna cut the song half way through its difficult because the break and sometimes intros for these tracks are a weird length and one song I cant mix to save my life is martin garrix animals that intro throws my off if i just wanna drop it in at the drop
Code:E 11:22 PM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
Can anyone give me tips on how to mix this so it flows I think I get the grasp of phrasing I can defo mix Hiphop n Rnb but with this sort of music like for this track - Crunk (Afrojack Edit) I find it werid to mix because its high energy and if I wanna cut the song half way through its difficult because the break and sometimes intros for these tracks are a weird length and one song I cant mix to save my life is martin garrix animals that intro throws my off if i just wanna drop it in at the drop

None of those tracks are "deep" house.

Phrasing will take a while to grasp, once you key phrasing down, then get Mixed in key.
Col1990 12:16 AM - 25 May, 2015
Ive got mixed and key and lol I know they ain't deep house they are just some of the songs I'm having trouble with thinking off the top of my head
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:30 AM - 25 May, 2015
Quote:
I know they ain't deep house they are just some of the songs I'm having trouble with thinking off the top of my head

'If you are playing "Real" deep House - phrasing is the key along with knowing your songs.

Every 32 beats - something happens. If you can get your drum intros/break of one song to mesh with the string passage or bassline of the other just right - that is the magic.

Use tools like Mixed in Key or Keyfinder for the icing on the cake.
Col1990 2:38 AM - 25 May, 2015
Thanks for the tip
Col1990 2:40 AM - 25 May, 2015
That tune house every weekend is the sort of tune i class as deep house I'm not an expert on edm i mostly listen to hiphop n rnb
Davideon 7:43 AM - 25 May, 2015
Blend don't cut. I start mixing, have new track at 80% then when it picks up in the into (32 bars I'm normally) I turn the new tracks fully up and drop the volume of the old track to about 80%
BIGG BEAR 3:31 PM - 25 May, 2015
I suppose I'm the opposite to the op on this. Been mixing house for years and I sometimes find the new crop a bit boring to mix. I try to vary it to keep myself interested. So mix some, do some times chops on the breakdowns and the drops. Playing this to a crowd who are really into it is great because you are creating a vibe. Playing it to top 40 crowds is where it gets boring as they are not into the vibe thing and this is where you need to get busy with different types of mixes to keep the interest for both the crowd and yourself. Hope that doesn't sound to arty farty.
BIGG BEAR 3:38 PM - 25 May, 2015
Edit should have said timed chops.
Good guy to watch for this type of music would be roger Sanchez. You'll see that he's always busy it's not just a case of mix a track then stand around for five minutes till its time to mix the next.
Col1990 3:38 PM - 25 May, 2015
Thats my prob I'm trying to play these house songs to a top 40 crowd who get bored of dance songs very easy so I like to keep it short but some of these tracks seem hard to keep the flow and just seems unnatural when quick mixing. I don't have problems with the top 40 dance songs but when it comes to proper house the songs are a lot longer top 40 dances songs are mainly 8 - 16bars but ive come a cross songs 32 bars and even 40 - 24bars odd lengths and not sure if I'm phrasing correctly I defo can pick out an 8 bar phrase and my mixes always comes in where I want it to but some songs just sound forced.
BIGG BEAR 3:49 PM - 25 May, 2015
If playing to top fourty crowd you could try using the radio edits. If the intro is too short you could loop it. Or edit the long tracks in a daw, or use cues and hotcues so that you are in control of when things happen in the mix. I rarely start to mix from the first beat of the song these days.
Col1990 3:52 PM - 25 May, 2015
Ill give that a try thanks for the help
Code:E 11:00 PM - 25 May, 2015
Quote:
I don't have problems with the top 40 dance songs but when it comes to proper house the songs are a lot longer top 40 dances songs are mainly 8 - 16bars but ive come a cross songs 32 bars and even 40 - 24bars odd lengths and not sure if I'm phrasing correctly I defo can pick out an 8 bar phrase and my mixes always comes in where I want it to but some songs just sound forced.

Thats where loops and effects effect come in. You can make a break down or build up whenever you like.
Thundercat 12:51 AM - 26 May, 2015
Please try to be more clear with your thread titles. I came in here expecting mixing or production tips for deep house music. Like using a square wave operator on a sidechain gate can add nice deep element to a thin kick drum. But what I found did not give me any mixing tips nor was it about deep house.

That being said, for the type of mixing you are talking about, filters and effects will be your best crutch for not actually knowing the music you are trying to mix. Every 8/16 bars do something; filter sweep, phase, EQ cut, delay etc. Then you can drop into another track anytime you want without drastically changing the formula. Build, break, twist knob, pose, fist pump, twist knob, look at laptop, load next track, rinse, repeat...pro style.

If you ever get to the point where you really want to learn how to mix any type of house...or EDM for that matter, we can talk more. You have to really develop a relationship with the music. Not just because it is the flavor of the month, but because you respect the music and the craft. Really understand it. Even if you are playing something you aren't in love with, understand what makes it work with your crowd.

Tip one: with house music, the breaks that you say you want to drop stuff into are sometimes the most important part of a track. While that may seem counter-intuitive to the all-go-no-quit-big-nuts-Harry-Stamper methodology of today, let them BREATHE! For chrissake! Chicks dig the sway...

Tip two: search up some iconic mixers in the genre you are looking to learn and listen to their mixes and watch any videos the have posted. DO NOT WATCH THEIR FESTIVAL VIDEOS!!!! Find their mixes from smaller spots, industry nights, etc.

Tip three: don't be bad

Ciao!
Col1990 2:12 AM - 26 May, 2015
haha
Quote:
Please try to be more clear with your thread titles. I came in here expecting mixing or production tips for deep house music. Like using a square wave operator on a sidechain gate can add nice deep element to a thin kick drum. But what I found did not give me any mixing tips nor was it about deep house.

That being said, for the type of mixing you are talking about, filters and effects will be your best crutch for not actually knowing the music you are trying to mix. Every 8/16 bars do something; filter sweep, phase, EQ cut, delay etc. Then you can drop into another track anytime you want without drastically changing the formula. Build, break, twist knob, pose, fist pump, twist knob, look at laptop, load next track, rinse, repeat...pro style.

If you ever get to the point where you really want to learn how to mix any type of house...or EDM for that matter, we can talk more. You have to really develop a relationship with the music. Not just because it is the flavor of the month, but because you respect the music and the craft. Really understand it. Even if you are playing something you aren't in love with, understand what makes it work with your crowd.

Tip one: with house music, the breaks that you say you want to drop stuff into are sometimes the most important part of a track. While that may seem counter-intuitive to the all-go-no-quit-big-nuts-Harry-Stamper methodology of today, let them BREATHE! For chrissake! Chicks dig the sway...

Tip two: search up some iconic mixers in the genre you are looking to learn and listen to their mixes and watch any videos the have posted. DO NOT WATCH THEIR FESTIVAL VIDEOS!!!! Find their mixes from smaller spots, industry nights, etc.

Tip three: don't be bad

Ciao!

Haha I like tip 3 and sorry about the title after all this is a DJ forum but I can see how you got mixed up and some great tips from all of you I appreciate the comments
Why not their festival videos whats wrong with that?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:56 AM - 26 May, 2015
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com
Coltrane09 2:01 PM - 26 May, 2015
LMBO @ that Steve Aoki video.
Detroitbootybass 2:56 PM - 26 May, 2015
Quote:

Some 'DJs' (I use the term loosely for these types) fake it at festivals. Some play pre-recorded mixes and even pretend to play without their equipment plugged in. It's the DJ equivalent of lip-syncing.
Mr. Goodkat 6:42 PM - 26 May, 2015
Quote:
I came in here expecting mixing or production tips for deep house music. Like using a square wave operator on a sidechain gate can add nice deep element to a thin kick drum.

why production tips, this is a dj forum not a production/engineer forum?
Col1990 6:47 PM - 26 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I came in here expecting mixing or production tips for deep house music. Like using a square wave operator on a sidechain gate can add nice deep element to a thin kick drum.

lol Thats what I thought
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:22 PM - 26 May, 2015
Quote:
Some 'DJs' (I use the term loosely for these types) fake it at festivals. Some play pre-recorded mixes and even pretend to play without their equipment plugged in. It's the DJ equivalent of lip-syncing.

What were those 2 kids with the rich daddy that did "pay to play" in Ibeza a few years ago...

Ah - House Bros - Watchwww.youtube.com

Good birds eye view of the fakery (knobs and faders) - Watchwww.youtube.com

Wonder if they got any better or ever started "Really" DJing....
Thundercat 8:12 PM - 26 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol Thats what I thought

Because if you are having trouble mixing deep house, it couldn't be about DJ mixing. If it is, you are just terribad. Was giving the benefit of a doubt.
Mr. Goodkat 8:51 PM - 26 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol Thats what I thought

Because if you are having trouble mixing deep house, it couldn't be about DJ mixing. If it is, you are just terribad. Was giving the benefit of a doubt.

there are beginners here. some people learn quick mixing and more of a hip hop style.. I started selecting tunes rather than mixing in a lounge environment and i had a friend break down the basics of phrasing (back when we used vinyl though) for me when i started mixing house.
Col1990 9:14 PM - 26 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol Thats what I thought

Its not that I'm "Hella bad" its I listen to the top djs and compaire my stuff to theirs I'm always trying to improve and and get better I haven't really been into house music and its different to hiphop n rnb because of all the breakdowns and stuff. So if you gonna be like that u can just fuck off somewhere else I'm sure you're perfect at djing in everyway but its funny how I've never listen or wanted to listen to your mixes
Mr. Goodkat 11:32 PM - 26 May, 2015
butttttt, edm mixing and actual house or techno, mixing are gonna be a bit different.