DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Scratch Live vs Serato DJ (My Experience)

Jader 1:38 PM - 16 May, 2015
Rane 62
Macbook Pro

Number of unexplained crashes with Scratch Live in past 3 years at residency - 0.

Number of unexplained crashes with SeratoDJ in the past 6 months - 3. (including last night which is why i'm salty and posting this).

Instead of working on stability, Serato, in my opinion, has been chasing the controller market and flooding users with bloated features because they see that is where the money is. Still no update to their 2nd class key lock / master tempo algorithm while pioneer continues to update theirs. But hey guys look! Now we have all these different efx packs that we can buy.

I can't hate them for that, they are a company and companies exist to make money. However, in my opinion, quality has suffered and Serato has lost their way.

I have been a Serato loyalist for years and was prepared to be one for a very long time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna use my Rane/Serato stuff. However, now I am keeping an eye out for an alternative, which is exciting, but also kinda sucks. All due to shitty ass Serato DJ.
 6 2:18 PM - 16 May, 2015
That's a shame. I haven't had any Serato DJ crashes but it may be because I have a mixer that doesn't have to play nice with both softwares.

I have the 64 btw.
nm
DJ Baby Boy 2:28 PM - 16 May, 2015
Quote:
That's a shame. I haven't had any Serato DJ crashes but it may be because I have a mixer that doesn't have to play nice with both softwares.

I have the 64 btw.
nm

I haven't had any issues either and I'm using a 62 with SDJ

Quote:
Rane62 Macbook Pro

It could be that your MBP isn't high enough spec to run SDJ
WarpNote 2:34 PM - 16 May, 2015
Quote:
Still no update to their 2nd class key lock / master tempo algorithm while pioneer continues to update theirs.
Where you been? -> store.serato.com

How old, and what are your mbp specs?

SDJ has been very solid for me the last year.
DJ GOODFOOT 3:58 PM - 16 May, 2015
Tech 1200MK2s + Rane 64 + MacBook Pro + ME

While I haven't had any full crashes other than a couple when I first switched over a year and a half ago, Serato DJ is much buggier and generally feels that at any moment something bad is going to happen with the software. I felt confident in Scratch Live and could focus on the work without the extra worry which was very nice and I miss that reliability. Currently, I sometimes get that weird latency that requires a reset of the buffer to fix (although it happens much less frequently than it has in the past, once a month vs once a set) and sometimes my cue points aren't visible on the waveform.

My biggest issue is that many DJs are still on Scratch Live but my 64 doesn't support that software. They should have made it work for either platform and even though the Scratch Live program is not being advanced, it would still be useable. Trying to force people to switch over immediately does a disservice to the users. Even Apple who is notorious for forcing change and updates still makes new hardware backwards compatible with older software until (after many years and a slow decline in support and functionality) it no longer works and you have to upgrade.
 6 4:14 PM - 16 May, 2015
I also use ME and no issues with SDJ

Tech 1210M5Gs + Rane 64 + MacBook Pro + ME

----

At this point, I rather not have the 64 be backwards compatible since SSL won't be developed anymore.

nm
skinnyguy 4:15 PM - 16 May, 2015
Geez. Thanks for the boost in confidence for my soon to be transition over... *sigh*
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:15 PM - 16 May, 2015
Are all you guys using the LATEST version of Serato DJ?

I have been following some of these posts in anticipation of a switch but trying to figure the best OS and version of SDJ. I was/am very happy with SSL 2.5, 10.6.8 and my SL3 but just bought the Akai AMX mixer for simplicity

I see that SDJ 1.75 needs Mac OS 10.10 or something,

Back in the many DJs stayed on SSL 1.92 because that was the "sweet spot".

When you guys post Tech 1200MK2s + Rane 64 + MacBook Pro + ME - we all know 1200's and ME is rock solid - you guys should also post what version of SDJ and what version of the Mac OS also.
Quote:
Geez. Thanks for the boost in confidence for my soon to be transition over... *sigh*

+1 That would help frightened n00bs like me and others pop our SDJ cherry
AKIEM 5:18 PM - 16 May, 2015
Hmmm, might pick up an AMX to try SDJ while the 57mkii is sorted... see what I want to do from there.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:43 PM - 16 May, 2015
Quote:
Hmmm, might pick up an AMX to try SDJ while the 57mkii is sorted... see what I want to do from there.

I haven't fucked with it yet but it looks pretty solid - the ONLY drawback that would make it really great for all around gigging (mobiles to clubs) is NO Mic input

If it had a Mic and a gain - it would blow all these cuntrollers out of the water. Pair it with that AFX and sync or for old school jocks who love decks and keepin' it real - use one deck. instant doubles and some skills ...
AKIEM 6:01 PM - 16 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't fucked with it yet but it looks pretty solid - the ONLY drawback that would make it really great for all around gigging (mobiles to clubs) is NO Mic input

If it had a Mic and a gain - it would blow all these cuntrollers out of the water. Pair it with that AFX and sync or for old school jocks who love decks and keepin' it real - use one deck. instant doubles and some skills ...

Yeah, not sure I would bring it out.... There's some poetry type joints I do from time to time...

But looks pretty dope... Havmt seen it at GC tho
WarpNote 6:08 PM - 16 May, 2015
I've had the AFX/AMX for a while, its a great kit, but I don't think I will ever bring the AMX to a "real" gig though, mostly due to the endless rotaries on gain, & bus-power only. The AFX I will bring, no doubt. Still its a great unit, works well with DVS, and for a private party with friends, or in the studio, its great!

Did I mention its great? ... ;-)
DJ GOODFOOT 6:21 PM - 16 May, 2015
Here are my Mac specs:
Mac - 10.9.5
2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Serato DJ 1.7.0
(I don't update unless absolutely necessary or if it will fix known issues) this version seems to be working the best for me.

ME 3.0.1
deejdave 6:40 PM - 16 May, 2015
You are aware you can download the newer (better) versions of SDJ and keep both versions right? If the new one does not work out..................... use the other instead. Also this is not a stab towards you as this is SOOO common but all to often I see "2.6 GHZ Core i7" or "2.33 GHZ Intel Core i7" and I wonder why one of the more important words is not included being "Dual" or "Quad". NOT the end of the world BUT it makes a HUGE difference and also makes it so the readers do not have to do their own research to find out what you really have.

Again this happens all the time so trust I am not trying to make an example out of you just curious why it happens so often LOL. I remember the day I got my first quad core MBP and I was so excited there was NO way I would ever forget to write the "Quad" part haha :)
djattila 7:05 PM - 16 May, 2015
The latest version of sdj is much much better than that version your using
Mr. Goodkat 8:32 PM - 16 May, 2015
still no problems or crashes for me with djm 900srt with dvs or cdjs or cdjs in HID.or with a sl3 or with a vestax vci 380.

zero. crashes. with an mid 2012 macbook that isnt really that new.
ral 1:41 PM - 18 May, 2015
@sixxx

what is your usb buffer settings?

do you load itunes library and extended folder created by itunes?

im still using scratchlive/1200s/rane 62 = solid

vestax vci400/sdj = crap combination

now will be testing rane 57mk2/sdj

im using the mbpro/quadcore 2.5/16gb, usb buffer 1
 6 3:58 PM - 18 May, 2015
USB setting is at the lowest. iTunes loads. I don't have an extended folder. I have all my files in one iTunes folder (took all files out of their subfolders and stopped letting iTunes organize my files when I switched to SDJ as initially recommended).

MBP quad core 2.0/16GB
MBP quad core 2.6/16GB

Runs perfect on both.

nm
ral 5:37 PM - 18 May, 2015
thx - maybe the culprit is that itunes long folder will get rid of that
Jader 12:26 AM - 3 June, 2015
tried it again three times. all three times it craps out. around 1130 1200 pm. about an hour or two into it.

what happens is the music cuts off and serato dj goes into the offline player. unplugging and replugging doesnt work. only a complete power reset on the rane 62 and quit and restart. in scratch live LOL.

it was embarrassing, but its happening so much im getting used to it haha.

back to the trusty matrix green of scratch live.
pdidy 1:57 AM - 3 June, 2015
Quote:
tried it again three times. all three times it craps out. around 1130 1200 pm. about an hour or two into it.

what happens is the music cuts off and serato dj goes into the offline player. unplugging and replugging doesnt work. only a complete power reset on the rane 62 and quit and restart. in scratch live LOL.

it was embarrassing, but its happening so much im getting used to it haha.

back to the trusty matrix green of scratch live.

is there any particular reason you ignored or avoided the questions asked in regards to laptop specs, settings....ect.

I get very suspicious when people do that...... lol
Jader 10:04 AM - 3 June, 2015
oh my bad. im using a potato obviously.

its a 2014 macbook air

os x yosemite 10.10.3

1.7 ghz intel core i7

8 gb 1600 mhz
Serato, Moderator
Samuel S 10:07 AM - 3 June, 2015
Hey Jader,

Do you have a help ticket with the support team I can chase up for you?

I use that exact same machine and haven't been able to reproduce these issues but we really need to look into your crash reports etc and find out what's wrong.

Let me know if you haven't got an open ticket with support and ill get someone to get in touch with you!

Sam.
Jader 10:56 AM - 3 June, 2015
thanks for reaching out sam. i don't have a ticket for this one, because there isn't a "crash" in that seratoDJ completely shuts down. its a force quit. i was under the impression that in these situations theres not crash report that happens.

is there still something that i can pull up and send to you guys?

the only thing i can think of that could be the culprit is that the firmware on the 62 at the club has not been updated. im going to check on that next time i am there. ill let everyone know whats up.
Serato, Moderator
Samuel S 11:03 AM - 3 June, 2015
I'd definitely check the firmware is update, that can be a cause of many issues.

We can definitely go through some troubleshooting with you to narrow the cause of these problems though. If you like i'll get someone from support to get in touch?

Sam.
Jader 2:23 PM - 3 June, 2015
thanks sam,

let me look into the firmware on that 62, then ill holler at support to see if we can find the problem.
Mr. Goodkat 8:49 PM - 3 June, 2015
Quote:
the only thing i can think of that could be the culprit is that the firmware on the 62 at the club has not been updated. im going to check on that next time i am there. ill let everyone know whats up.

cmon man. you gonna say it crashed and dont know if the firmware on the 62 is updated.

smh
Serato, Moderator
Samuel S 12:42 AM - 4 June, 2015
Quote:
thanks sam,

let me look into the firmware on that 62, then ill holler at support to see if we can find the problem.

Cool let us know how you get on Jader.

Sam.
Jader 1:51 PM - 6 June, 2015
guys, it was my fault.

the firmware on the mixer was like 1.77 or something.

updated it and the night went off without a hitch.

i take back all the bad things i said about serato.

i will wear ribbons of shame for one week.

happy crowd controlling!
deejdave 4:48 PM - 6 June, 2015
Thank you for following up though. THIS is the part you don't usually see. The forums are filled with the negative reports but once they get going again they rarely come back.............. again thanks.
Jader 12:21 AM - 7 June, 2015
you're welcome homie! its my hope that my experience can help other peeps out.
deejdave 12:22 AM - 7 June, 2015
That's what its all about. I wish they would make the support requests public again for this very reason.