Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Have a big problem with the Scratch Amp

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
JD 6:59 PM - 21 November, 2004
this has happened 3 weeks in a row. When im djing- around 3 am- for some reason- the left channel starts to only play from one side. This has happened in different clubs. At first i thought it was the clubs mixer but it happened last night as well in another club. Last night when it happened- first thing i did was change the line out rca wires... that didnt help- so its not the wires... second thing I did was change the needles. That wasnt it either. It was definitely an issue between the rane box and mixer and not turntables...

Ive narrowed it down to 2 things:
1) happens around 3 am so after 5 hours of use, it starts...
or
2) a bad mp3 may cause it? I did play a bad mp3 that jerks SL for a sec. I keep forgetting to trash the mp3.. but after it hiccups...the problem happens shortly after

First ill email the file to knock it out of the way, if it isnt the mp3 then what can i do? Do I need a new box??
nik39 7:27 PM - 21 November, 2004
How did you get rid of that problem? Did restarting SSL solve the problem? I can reproduce one channel falling out when I use one specific mp3, after a certain playtime that mp3 makes one channel to fall out.
JD 7:51 PM - 21 November, 2004
hmm...so a mp3 is the culprit?.. ill re-enact it at home to see if it is...
JD 7:53 PM - 21 November, 2004
btw- i never got rid of the problem... i kept playing until the night was thru...
Revolutionary 8:22 PM - 21 November, 2004
Just to make something clear; Do NOT call the SSL device a scratch amp under any circumstance whatsoever. Thanks!

It's weird. Could be a bad MP3 as you suggested. It always happens at 3 AM? Even weirder.
nik39 8:31 PM - 21 November, 2004
JD, can you recall which mp3 it was? Yeah, with my mp3 file one channel falls out until you restart SSL.
FoundationDJ 8:41 PM - 21 November, 2004
JD this is a issue with your MP3 file. Sam from Serato and Nik39 have been able to reliably reproduce this problem with a error'd MP3 so do a error check on your files and this should help alot.

oh yeah sorry nik thats what you just basicly said.. hahaha
nik39 9:43 PM - 21 November, 2004
FDJ, most likely its an issue with his mp3s ;-) We should be carefull with the diagnostics, it could be also some other fault and yet we have no evidence in JDs case.
FoundationDJ 11:36 PM - 21 November, 2004
true, your right. I shouldnt say that this is his exact problem

but it seems that most of us can exactly replicate his problem..
and so I would say to check the MP3's or files he was playing at the time
djpetey 11:47 PM - 21 November, 2004
same thing happened to me once.... was also an mp3..... only solution I found was to restart ssl in order to get that channel back (and never play that mp3 again)
chubbsta 6:35 AM - 22 November, 2004
JD, did you check for your Laptop overheating??? I've heard, that a thing like the iBreeze from MacMice could solve this problem...