DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Wedding Ceremony Setup

JDforKing 5:28 PM - 13 April, 2015
For those mobile dj's that do wedding ceremonies what does your typical set up consist of?
DJ Tecniq 7:16 PM - 13 April, 2015
one speaker for outside for music (just a playlist) and main dj setup for reception area. Usually the ceremony and reception are in diff rooms or areas.
DJ Reflex 1:16 AM - 16 April, 2015
Yup, just one powered speaker and a small PA mixer for wireless microphones and occasional entrance/recessional music on iPod or CD.

Keep it simple. I saw this dude set up a slew of speakers, wires, mics, and all kinds of stuff for a 10 minute "I do... kiss the bride" ceremony. Fool was trying to take down all his stuff while photographer and guests were trying to get pictures. Must have taken him 40 minutes to get that crap out the way. I get in and out in 5 minutes or less.
ParisCreative 12:33 PM - 16 April, 2015
One speaker (DXR8). 4 mics. DL806 to mix the mics and also playback for my iPad and DeeJay2. I also have wireless transmitter (Alto) just incase if I ever need to do 2 speakers.
DJ Nightmare Productions 2:48 PM - 16 April, 2015
2 white EV ZX1s and matching subs..
ParisCreative 2:50 PM - 16 April, 2015
Two top cabs and subs for a ceremony? That seems more overkill than anything but if that is your selling points all the more power to you. :)
DJ Nightmare Productions 3:23 PM - 16 April, 2015
lol ok.. to each their own doc.. i set it up in about 3 minutes.. not overkill at all.. I'm charging extra for additional sound system.. I'm giving them a compact full system.. not one speaker.. if you knew what i used for the reception sound system.. you probly would think thats way overkill too lol
DJ GaFFle 3:32 PM - 16 April, 2015
Quote:
2 white EV ZX1s and matching subs..

Your subs are white?
DJ Tecniq 3:34 PM - 16 April, 2015
Just sayin...If you guys aren't charging 1,000 or more to Dj a wedding you're doing it wrong๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป that's my price and I stick to it๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป if they don't like it then they can't find another DJ. My equipment is too valuable.
JDforKing 3:37 PM - 16 April, 2015
i started this discussion because i was curious to what you guys use for ceremonies. I use a yamaha dxr8 , a gtd audio wireless microphone system (2 handle or 2 lapel option) and a iPhone 4s (used like a touch because i no longer use it as a phone) and couldn't be happier. Most of my ceremonies are 150 max and my little yamaha dxr8 does an excellent job. The built in mixer on the back of the yamaha dxr8 put its over the top for a go to speaker for a ceremony set up.
DJ Nightmare Productions 3:37 PM - 16 April, 2015
yes i painted them..
Good3go85 1:25 AM - 18 April, 2015
2 Mackie SRM 450S,DDJ SX,Wireless MIC lights only if they ask for it and I charge extra for it.
ParisCreative 1:46 AM - 18 April, 2015
Has anyone ever run into a client that wants to have lights at a ceremony? I just can't fathom a scenario.
JDforKing 1:59 AM - 18 April, 2015
Quote:
2 Mackie SRM 450S,DDJ SX,Wireless MIC lights only if they ask for it and I charge extra for it.

I was talking about ceremony only, do you use all that stuff for a ceremony and a reception?
Robbie O 10:43 PM - 18 April, 2015
1 QSC KW122, boom mic stand w/ a Generic Wireless mic & a laptop connected via Y cord. lol QSCs have the nice mixboard in the back of the unit.

I used to care about my set up at ceremonies. But like Reflex mentioned, it's diminishing returns on putting a lot of effort in your ceremony set up. Anything to allow me to leave quick is what I'm bout.

Unless I upsell a client on something specific or I have multiple performances than needs mics, I'm setting up the ceremony w a bare minimum set-up. At the end of the day, my clients either don't care or care but would rather spend their money on upsells related to the reception.

The only thing I might possibly do is get white speaker covers, possibly.... But very unlikely
Shorty 8:14 AM - 19 April, 2015
I'm a full-time wedding DJ and for ceremonies I typically use (2) QSC K12's on stands, a Mackie 4-channel compact mixer, a wireless Shure or Line6 handheld, and my MacBook for music. I've been contemplating getting a pair of 10" speakers since the 12's are probably a little overkill for the mostly vocals. Music at a ceremony just has to be audible and doesn't have to sound amazing -- don't know why anyone would be using subs for a ceremony. I'm hoping that was sarcasm.
Shorty 8:16 AM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
Has anyone ever run into a client that wants to have lights at a ceremony? I just can't fathom a scenario.

Hey ParisCreative -- I actually have an upcoming wedding where the ceremony is inside where they'll also be doing dinner and dancing and they want their lights set up for the ceremony. I've had a few clients who wanted lighting for the ceremony but it's definitely few and far between.
Rebelguy 6:30 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:

Sure I get requests from clients from time to time when having indoor ceremonies. I have been hired to provide ulighting and a pattern wash in the room.
DJ Reflex 11:23 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Sure I get requests from clients from time to time when having indoor ceremonies. I have been hired to provide ulighting and a pattern wash in the room.

Up-Lights, yes.
dj_soo 6:22 AM - 20 April, 2015
two DXR10s and a mixer
DJ Guayo 7:55 PM - 20 April, 2015
K10, allen and heath zed 10, sennheiser mic/shure mic. and laptop for music.
577er 3:35 AM - 22 April, 2015
One QSC K12 (could use a K8 if I had one), a small Mackie mixer and anywhere from 1 to 4 mics, some folks want multiple lapel or headset mics vs 1 on a stand at waist hight (my perfered choice for ease and even pickup between bride, groom and officiant). Sometimes a second mic on a stand for readers. This is almost always billed as a separate system from the reception system. Some very wide seating arrangements require a second speaker for even coverage.
577er 3:36 AM - 22 April, 2015
Music is via laptop / phone / iPod/ whatever.
JDforKing 4:30 AM - 22 April, 2015
Quote:
One speaker (DXR8). 4 mics. DL806 to mix the mics and also playback for my iPad and DeeJay2. I also have wireless transmitter (Alto) just incase if I ever need to do 2 speakers.

How has the Alto wireless transmitter worked for you? I'm looking into it, but am a little skeptical
Good3go85 11:53 AM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You tryna be funny? Not every client do church and a separate venue for reception. You get those all in one Weddings where the ceremony and reception is in the same spot so yes you need lights.
ParisCreative 12:13 PM - 19 November, 2015
Just very odd. Like I said sure, beautiful uplights for reception. But ceremony? Very interesting.
ParisCreative 12:18 PM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

How has the Alto wireless transmitter worked for you? I'm looking into it, but am a little skeptical

Its "fair". When it works it works but too many times I've run into dropout issues. I'm stepping up to a Sennheiser G3 300 for next season.

Also I've changed out the DL806 for a Soundcraft Ui16. Here's my review on that. pariscreative.com
Rebelguy 1:51 PM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:

I'm stepping up to a Sennheiser G3 300 for next season.

Going the iem route?
ParisCreative 1:59 PM - 19 November, 2015
You got it. The cocktail hour sound is just too critical to rely on the altos. So rackmount by my main set up and the pack at the speakers
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:12 PM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
Also I've changed out the DL806 for a Soundcraft Ui16. Here's my review on that. pariscreative.com

Oh man... Ui16 I want it but i have no use for it yet lol
DJKROOKS 6:07 PM - 20 November, 2015
Usually use:

"Reception"
-2 QSC K152's on stands
-NS7ii Controller (Love that its portable, and has moving platters and has vinyl feel)
- Shure Wirless Mic

"Extra Cost Items"
- Uplighting
- Small Fog Machine
-Chauvet Nimbus
- Dance Lighting (Varies, usually use chauvet products)
- Gobo Light (Custom Monogram Light)

"Ceremony"
- Alto 12' Speaker on stand
- Shure Wireless Mic (For officiant)
- Mic Stand (If needed)
-Laptop to cue ceremony songs

Does any one have a good lapel mic they recommend?
I've purchased the AKG Perception Wireless Presenter before but i always have a problem picking up the officiant's voice. So i just returned it.So i usually just stick a wireless mic and mic stand set up.
DJ Guayo 6:36 PM - 20 November, 2015
I roll with the Sennheiser here.

www.amazon.com

Haven't had any issue. What's your budget? Some guys here use Audio Technica, EV, Shure, or Line 6 wireless microphones.
DJKROOKS 6:41 PM - 20 November, 2015
Quote:
I roll with the Sennheiser here.

www.amazon.com

Haven't had any issue. What's your budget? Some guys here use Audio Technica, EV, Shure, or Line 6 wireless microphones.

Appreciate that Guayo, Going to look into investing into this one.
Now, you guys don't have to answer this if you don't want to.
How much would you guys charge to issue a lapel mic for a wedding?
I normally don't run into this issue, but if i ever run into the situation when a client needs a lapel mic for the officiant, atleast i would know the industry rate.
O.B.1 6:43 PM - 20 November, 2015
For the ceremony I usually try to take a "less is more" approach with equipment for several reasons. I try to set up in a place where it won't be highly visible in photos but still provide the necessary coverage. A single powered speaker on a stand is usually sufficient. And then I use that same speaker as my floor monitor when I move it to the reception area.

I use a Shure SLX4 wireless reciever w/ Beta58 mic for officiant/vows and sometimes in conjunction with the WL185 lavalier (lapel) mic.

I enjoy when a client gets creative with their entrance/exit music. I think it makes it fun and original. For example at a recent wedding as soon as they pronounced them as Husband and Wife I went right into the Magnum P.I. theme song! And the last wedding I did they had me play "You're the best around" from Karate Kid soundtrack LOL
O.B.1 6:53 PM - 20 November, 2015
Quote:

How much would you guys charge to issue a lapel mic for a wedding?
I normally don't run into this issue, but if i ever run into the situation when a client needs a lapel mic for the officiant, atleast i would know the industry rate.

I would typically include the lapel mic option at no extra charge (You can find one for around $100) as long as I feel I'm already charging enough for the entire job. I do charge extra for Ceremony service in general in addition to the reception but I try not to nickel and dime my clients with too many small fees or overwhelm them with too many details. I find that all inclusive packages work best in most cases. But maybe have a few different levels of sound/lighting depending on their needs, amount of people, size of room, etc.
Frankie Glasses 7:21 PM - 20 November, 2015
I also "try" not to nickel and dime when it comes to setup for the ceremony. I typically try to get all information before i quote a price for an additional setup. However, in most cases the client has no clue at the time, if the officiant needs a mic or not so its hard to quote it.

I have been wanting to get a decent lapel mic but damn the cost of those things to be used for,in most cases, short wedding ceremony is not cost efficient for me at the moment. I know it is more professional but most officiants have no issue just using a wireless mic. Seems like wireless mic is better anyhow as you can hear the bride & groom say their vows.
DJKROOKS 7:29 PM - 20 November, 2015
I agree, including it in the base price will probably be more effective,

Looking into investing into the one DJ Guayo recommended because the AKG one i experienced wasn't great at all. It's like $650.00 so i imagine the quality is great.
DJ Guayo 7:32 PM - 20 November, 2015
Quote:
I also "try" not to nickel and dime when it comes to setup for the ceremony. I typically try to get all information before i quote a price for an additional setup. However, in most cases the client has no clue at the time, if the officiant needs a mic or not so its hard to quote it.

I have been wanting to get a decent lapel mic but damn the cost of those things to be used for,in most cases, short wedding ceremony is not cost efficient for me at the moment. I know it is more professional but most officiants have no issue just using a wireless mic. Seems like wireless mic is better anyhow as you can hear the bride & groom say their vows.

I feel ya. I got tired of running a Shure PGX Lavalier. The signal would drop on that for whatever reason. I have a handheld PGX and it give me no issues but the damn lavalier would always give me issues. I just bit the bullet and bought the a decent Sennheiser.
ParisCreative 7:33 PM - 20 November, 2015
Let me preface this that I am a wedding DJ. My pricing is a single core price for receptions and one for ceremonies and reception. It's all audio inclusive and contains whatever I will need to make the event "right".

I carry with my Sennheiser 135 G3 that has both handhelds and lav packs. The lapel mics are descent on those but most of the time that I use the lav pack I use it with a Contryman e6 over-the-ear microphone.

I paid ~$650 for each G3 base + mic or base + lav
I paid ~$400 for the Contryman e6

I plan to get 2 more G3's and use an antenna combiner with it.
Rebelguy 7:58 PM - 20 November, 2015
Keep in mind that you can score some great deals on used wireless systems on ebay and other places. The Sennheiser stuff is pretty solid so I have no problem buying used if they are in the correct frequency Band.
Frankie Glasses 8:40 PM - 20 November, 2015
It seems like the over the ear style mic would perform better. What is your guys' experience in using these compared to lapel mics.
ParisCreative 8:47 PM - 20 November, 2015
Better overall performance. Usually you have an easier time picking up ancillary people (in my case a bride and groom) with the officiant being in the general area by just bringing up the gain.
Discobee 10:50 PM - 20 November, 2015
Another DJ friend told me that he uses an omni directional wireless lavalier (I don't remember which brand or model) and he clips the mic to the iPad or folder that the officiant uses and it picks up the officiant, bride and groom pretty well. The officiant holds the lavalier pack and hides it out of view beneath the iPad or folder. Anyone tried that method before? (I haven't)
DJ Reflex 2:17 AM - 23 November, 2015
Quote:
Better overall performance. Usually you have an easier time picking up ancillary people (in my case a bride and groom) with the officiant being in the general area by just bringing up the gain.

This works week to a point. Gotta closely monitor the conversations though! :)

Quote:
Another DJ friend told me that he uses an omni directional wireless lavalier (I don't remember which brand or model) and he clips the mic to the iPad or folder that the officiant uses and it picks up the officiant, bride and groom pretty well. The officiant holds the lavalier pack and hides it out of view beneath the iPad or folder. Anyone tried that method before? (I haven't)

Tried this a few times with a bit of success. It does work well indoors, but any outside wind noise will overpower any conversations.
ParisCreative 2:27 AM - 23 November, 2015
Wind is one of the worst enemies of the outside wedding mic mix. Sure you can LPF cut it, yes you can add a wind screen, but sometimes it's just not enough, especially if the people in questions have low speaking voices.

And DJ Reflex has a point. Having a over-the-ear tends to pick up more sounds overall. This is great say for a videographer because they can always changes levels in post, but live mixing? I won't lie, it's a challenge.

You can try in my case to mic up the officiant, the groom, and the bride, but the bride is very difficult to mic up and hide and secure the lav pack inconspicuously with some dresses. Yes you get superior sound. Say it is a windy day you can drop the sound off one of the mics and pick up the other two to compensate; but at the risk of running pictures and making the couple feel uncomfortable.
Shorty 4:22 PM - 29 November, 2015
Just picked up one of these for ceremonies and will probably purchase an handheld transmitter for the reception to replace my Line 6 75.

www.sweetwater.com

I'm also mostly a wedding DJ these days and charge a flat rate that includes two set ups in two locations. I offer a third set up for a low cost and only charge for the ceremony if they need a third PA and if the start time is beyond the standard 5 hour block (assuming that it's taking on site where the reception is being held). I'm also not planning to charge extra for the new Shure lapel microphone and the company that I actually book most of my weddings through doesn't even require or technically even offer clients the option for a lavalier.

Just my two cents as some who DJs around 40 weddings per year.
DJ Guayo 4:30 PM - 29 November, 2015
does the handheld still require 9v batteries? That's the one knock I didn't like.
ParisCreative 4:47 PM - 29 November, 2015
Those QLXD's are amazing mics. I really wanted to get the 4-mic 1U model but def on the very high end price range. I almost bought it but I opted for the Senn G3s and they have been rock steady.