DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

EV ETX 35P/18SP vs. JBL PRX725/PRX718 vs. QSC KW153/KW181

Mike Dumelow 3:46 PM - 8 April, 2015
Well, Ive got my upgrade purchase into active gear narrowed down to:

EV ETX 35P/18SP
JBL PRX725/PRX718
QSC KW153/KW181

I'll be purchasing two of each (tops & subs). I do mostly dj work (small to mid-size venues) with one band that I run live sound for. Looking for folks experience with any of these lines of speakers and recommendations.

Thanks!
DJ Remix Detroit 3:47 PM - 8 April, 2015
I just bought 2 of the ETX 18sp, they sound great, but they limit fairly easily compared to the KW181's. I took them back and am just sticking with my 181's.
Joee 8:05 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:

EV ETX 35P/18SP
JBL PRX725/PRX718
QSC KW153/KW181

I'll be purchasing two of each (tops & subs). I do mostly dj work (small to mid-size venues) with one band that I run live sound for. Looking for folks experience with any of these lines of speakers and recommendations.

Thanks!

every option you posted is a good one, i'd probably go ev

Quote:
I just bought 2 of the ETX 18sp, they sound great, but they limit fairly easily compared to the KW181's. I took them back and am just sticking with my 181's.

really? did you try running them in live mode? also they actually have a prelimit limit light…
Joee 8:06 PM - 8 April, 2015
another thing i wouldn't get the three way if only buying two subs if i were getting four subs the three way all day…..

but for two etx18sp subs i would get two etx12p tops
Mike Dumelow 9:05 PM - 8 April, 2015
I need to be able to separate the tops for a small bar/club I play at semi-regularly. For this reason I was leaning toward the JBL because of the 725 dual 15 config. I also saw that the KW153 has the DEEP feature which would enhance the lower freq's so the speaker could stand on its own.

As far as subs are concerned, I have 4 single 18" Harbinger cabs that are BW1801 loaded with 2 Crown XLi 3500 (1000w per ch @ 8ohm Stereo) driving them. Not the best, but they do add some thump.

I found a company that sells a PRX "package", (2) PRX-715, (2) PRX-718XLF, (2) PRX-725) I figure I could use the 715's with the 718's. When I add back the 725's, I can bring out the additional bass bins......

How much trouble will i get in for using two diff types of sub? Thinking I could line the front of my riser with the extra 4 passive singles then stack the powered gear on either corner. I know im about to get an earful about this but after this investment I'm gonna have to work with what I got for a while.....

Additional thoughts.....????
DJ Remix Detroit 9:14 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

EV ETX 35P/18SP
JBL PRX725/PRX718
QSC KW153/KW181

Thanks!

every option you posted is a good one, i'd probably go ev

Quote:

really? did you try running them in live mode? also they actually have a prelimit limit light…

no, I only ran them in recorded music mode. the limit and thermal light were flashing way early compared to the 181's. although the 181's weren't able to go as low and clean as the ETX18's. but it wasn't that much of a difference to make me switch over to the etx's. I've been rocking my 181's for the last few years with no complaints... they've been rock solid. I'm just gonna stick with them.
desmorider 10:36 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:

EV ETX 35P/18SP
JBL PRX725/PRX718
QSC KW153/KW181

Thanks!

Why do you have two 3 ways and one 2 way top boxes listed. Which do you want? Have you looked at the new srx800 jbl series? 3 way top is the srx835p, 2 way top is the srx815p. Single 18 is srx818sp, and the double 18 is the srx828sp. They look very interesting for the price.
pdidy 6:59 AM - 9 April, 2015
Quote:
I need to be able to separate the tops for a small bar/club I play at semi-regularly. For this reason I was leaning toward the JBL because of the 725 dual 15 config. I also saw that the KW153 has the DEEP feature which would enhance the lower freq's so the speaker could stand on its own.

As far as subs are concerned, I have 4 single 18" Harbinger cabs that are BW1801 loaded with 2 Crown XLi 3500 (1000w per ch @ 8ohm Stereo) driving them. Not the best, but they do add some thump.

I found a company that sells a PRX "package", (2) PRX-715, (2) PRX-718XLF, (2) PRX-725) I figure I could use the 715's with the 718's. When I add back the 725's, I can bring out the additional bass bins......

How much trouble will i get in for using two diff types of sub? Thinking I could line the front of my riser with the extra 4 passive singles then stack the powered gear on either corner. I know im about to get an earful about this but after this investment I'm gonna have to work with what I got for a while.....

Additional thoughts.....????

i.imgur.com
DJ GaFFle 9:49 AM - 9 April, 2015
^^^ LoL ^^^
Mike Dumelow 10:18 AM - 9 April, 2015
....I'll take that as a WTF

All you had to say was NO :/
DJ Remix Detroit 11:10 AM - 9 April, 2015
another thing to note also... the ETX18's are very hard to move around by yourself. as in picking them up and lifting them into a van or truck. I think they should have flipped the the handles around 90 degrees to make it a little easier.

the 181's and the Prx718's are capable of being easily picked up by one person.