DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Vertical Vs. Horizontal Wave Forms Which one do you guys prefer ?

DJ Bello 12:35 AM - 7 April, 2015
and is their an advantage to one vs the other ?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:39 AM - 7 April, 2015
No wave, straight library view............ waves are for surfing when at the beach.
DJ Reflex 2:18 AM - 7 April, 2015
I like the vert style. It seems to give a good balance of screen space and functionality.
AKIEM 4:29 PM - 7 April, 2015
I switched to Horizontal. Easier to catch upcoming cues.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:12 PM - 7 April, 2015
Vertical - easier to mix by eye

<runs and hides>
AKIEM 7:09 PM - 7 April, 2015
Tell me some more about how you 'mix by eye'

lol
O.B.1 5:08 AM - 8 April, 2015
I prefer horizontal simply because of the similarity to the visual wave forms displayed when using a DAW.
O.B.1 5:13 AM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
I prefer horizontal simply because of the similarity to the visual wave forms displayed when using a DAW.

*disclaimer I actually prefer to mix by ear, but the visual wave forms are still helpful to anticipate breakdowns, drops, etc. and the colors help to see kicks, snares, etc.
Logisticalstyles 2:50 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:

I thought it would be that way for me as well since I originally used computers for audio production, but there is something about the way the waveform moves in Serato that makes me prefer the Vertical wave forms.
Gio Alex 3:08 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Vertical - easier to mix by eye

<runs and hides>

Quote:
Tell me some more about how you 'mix by eye'

lol

LMFAO
 6 3:08 PM - 8 April, 2015
Vertical waveforms make more sense in Serato SL and SDJ as they follow they layout of your sources. How DAW's waveforms vs a DJ set up, is irrelevant to me. DAW waveforms make more sense horizontal.

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:11 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Vertical waveforms make more sense in Serato SL and SDJ as they follow they layout of your sources. How DAW's waveforms vs a DJ set up, is irrelevant to me. DAW waveforms make more sense horizontal.

nm

Areed. I prefer vertical because left side left hand, right side right hand
AKIEM 3:42 PM - 8 April, 2015
Also I set the laptop to the left side 90° so Horizontal actually becomes Vertical just with more real estate.
Niro 4:27 PM - 8 April, 2015
I prefer vertical, my laptop is usually to the side and horizontal gets confusing sometimes.
MPC O.G. 4:54 PM - 8 April, 2015
Overlapping like in VDJ......JFWY. I use my ears.
Konix 5:25 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Also I set the laptop to the left side 90° so Horizontal actually becomes Vertical just with more real estate.

media1.giphy.com
blackavenger 6:05 PM - 8 April, 2015
For years I was all about vertical, but for the past few months I've been using horizontal.
WarpNote 7:01 PM - 8 April, 2015
Always been horizontal. I have a background in animation, motion graphics & video editing. All other applications with time representation I ever seen, and thats quite a few during the last 20 years, (DAWs included) has a horizontal time layouts, so I just kept with the same concept.

It also leaves more screen estate for the wave shown on screen. I.e. better view of cues, loops, slices etc IMO.

Not saying there's a right or a wrong way, what ever suits your style. My buddy actually rocks stacked waveforms, no virtual platters...
AKIEM 7:53 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

media1.giphy.com

lol

yeah, I actually suggested being able to switch which deck was top/bottom (not that it would ever happen) so right or left was up or down or however...

But Ive officially escaped from the 'cult of symmetry'...
AKIEM 7:55 PM - 8 April, 2015
And Ive got a couple other devices turned 90º..... wait like the 1200 - lol!
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:09 PM - 8 April, 2015
but if you turn it 90º what way is the sticker marker pointing :P
AKIEM 8:20 PM - 8 April, 2015
LOL!
WarpNote 8:30 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
but if you turn it 90º what way is the sticker marker pointing :P

Oh lord, new feature request! ;-)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:05 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
but if you turn it 90º

Won't the USB cord get in the way???????
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:46 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
but if you turn it 90º

Won't the USB cord get in the way???????

ha ha someone doesn't get it
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:50 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
ha ha someone doesn't get it

I git it - just flip it 90 degrees the OTHER WAY - simple!

PROBLEM SOLVED!
WarpNote 11:50 PM - 8 April, 2015
Put up mirrors behind you,
turn away from the crowd look into the mirror an watch the waveforms!

Kabooom, Konix, how's your mind now? :-D
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:12 AM - 9 April, 2015
Vertical...

So my cues are at 6<>12 o'clock....

:-)
MeeHow 4:14 PM - 9 April, 2015
Horizontal, you can see more....
blackavenger 4:54 PM - 9 April, 2015
Quote:
Horizontal, you can see more....

Yeah, especially the overview waveform. It's so thin in vertical view. I wish Serato would make theirs as thick and detailed as Traktor's.
DJ Nin 5:01 PM - 9 April, 2015
Horizontal.
DJ Bello 1:11 AM - 19 April, 2015
wow guys thanks for all the responses lol
dj jamalot 1:48 PM - 19 April, 2015
Vertical allows for more Real estate to see Mixemergency Screen...
DJ Reflex 11:25 PM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:

I want to buy into ME, but am concerned that it will take up valuable screen space. I do like the dedicated layout of Serato video.
dj jamalot 1:08 AM - 20 April, 2015
Try the demo and you'll be hooked... More versatility, along with functionality... He'll just try and you will see.
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:12 AM - 20 April, 2015
horizontal...
dj_soo 7:38 AM - 20 April, 2015
horizontal zoomed all the way out. Like being able to read the waveforms like I used to read the grooves.
The Human Error 9:26 AM - 20 April, 2015
Vertical and zoomed out so the waveform is att the same speed as the tempo matching display. I feel like I should like the horizontal view but I just dont like it.
AKIEM 3:28 PM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I want to buy into ME, but am concerned that it will take up valuable screen space. I do like the dedicated layout of Serato video.

The GUI is modular and you can pick what you need and what you dont showing

I keep mine very minimal because I'm not looking at the screen very much anyway...
skinnyguy 5:15 PM - 20 April, 2015
And you can place each module where you want. And the preview screens are resizable.
DJ Reflex 10:07 PM - 20 April, 2015
Thanks for all the info. I know there's plenty of threads on ME. I will give it a try soon (this summer after school's out). I have lots more video gigs coming up next year. So far Serato has done the job, but I'll look into taking it to a new level if ME pans out.
Code:E 10:15 PM - 20 April, 2015
I use the vert style because it leaves more room for Mix Emergency.
DJ Reflex 10:18 PM - 20 April, 2015
^^ Clever! ^^
Code:E 10:51 PM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:
I use the vert style because it leaves more room for Mix Emergency.

Quote:
^^ Clever! ^^

Also I run my Retina Mac Book Pro at the highest resolution possible so that I can see the the most tracks in my libray possible. (I have DJ freinds who hate it cause they cant read my screen everything is so small).
This also leave even more space on the sides of either decks for ME tabs
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:22 PM - 21 April, 2015
Quote:
I keep mine very minimal because I'm not looking at the screen very much anyway...
How do you mix WITHOUT the waveforms? <runs and hides>
AKIEM 12:39 AM - 22 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
How do you mix WITHOUT the waveforms? <runs and hides>

yeah, you best a run holmes.... lol

I would use only library mode, but after I load I like to see there are cue points on the track.

Well, and then I am looking at waves when Im playing for an MC who has whatever end point or something marked...eh
Marv Incredible 1:25 PM - 22 April, 2015
Horizontal.

Like Warpnote, I've spent so many years looking at horizontal audio timelines, anything else just seems weird, or hard to get used to anyway. Though vertical view should be more intuitive, considering the way a record spins.

And, like Soo, I like to read the waveforms like I used to read the grooves. I used to know every track in my collection intimately but these days, with MUCH bigger libraries, ain't nobody got time for that, so I rely on cue point colour-coding and waveform displays to help me know what the track is likely to do even if I've never mixed with it before.

And like blackavenger, I wish the waveforms were bigger and more detailed. I also wish I could zoom all the way in, like I could when using Itch and the Novation Twitch.

And, while I'm at it, I've always thought it would be helpful to have loop markers along the top of the waveform (if in horizontal mode) in the same way we have cue points along the bottom. If the playhead was slightly smaller or (became a white line instead) and the waveforms slightly bigger, this could be achieved without making it look too cluttered.
The main problem comes with identifying which loop marker corresponds to which loop slot. With the cues, we have colours, but having coloured loop markers too could be confusing. So I was thinking maybe all the loop markers could be blue or green, with a white number in the middle of each one.

Bit messy I know, which is probably why I just lived with how it is, but it would be nice to be able to see how many loops are in a track and where they are.
Thundercat 9:51 PM - 22 April, 2015
Vertical. It just seems more intuitive to me.
SeriousCyrus 9:29 PM - 24 April, 2015
Vertical, but that's because i can do this:

youtu.be

Then again, horizontal can be good too:
youtu.be
AKIEM 10:35 PM - 24 April, 2015
You need a glass hand.
SeriousCyrus 10:16 PM - 30 April, 2015
Quote:
You need a glass hand.

Yeah, might address that with a kinect to do something fancy, but it's more about seeing how everything is at any particular time. When you have your fingers on the controls you can feel the position.