DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Why does serato dj duplicate songs...i just don't get it...why

kc007 1:59 PM - 3 April, 2015
Why does serato dj duplicate songs...i just don't get it...why

i am finding songs that i would not ever download have like seven copies all through my library

what is up with serato
dj jamalot 3:05 PM - 3 April, 2015
What's up with your library??? Serato didn't create it.
kc007 6:34 PM - 3 April, 2015
on the outside of serato dj, i had made sure all the files were in one location.... i went through it and took all the duplicates away once i loaded it in serato.......with control shift......

now it as tons of duplicates again.....some of them have 6 copies of a song i never ever played....just don't get it
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:36 PM - 3 April, 2015
Do you use itunes?
kc007 7:40 PM - 3 April, 2015
no

i tried iTunes once and seem to not be the best choice
djnak 8:14 PM - 3 April, 2015
are they all even there...or do you just keep rebuilding your crates and leaving lost moved files still in serato?
Davideon 8:35 PM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:
on the outside of serato dj, i had made sure all the files were in one location.... i went through it and took all the duplicates away once i loaded it in serato.......with control shift......

now it as tons of duplicates again.....some of them have 6 copies of a song i never ever played....just don't get it

Cmd+shift+delete?
Blueseph 9:02 PM - 3 April, 2015
Hello kc007,

I had this issue as well. As stated above, if you do not remove your old files manually, they will stay in Serato. A good way to check if the file still exists is by loading it to one of your decks. If the song turns orange, then Serato can't find the file. Simply use the shortcut keys listed below to remove the copies of the songs you do not wish to have.

1. Load a track.
2. If the track turns orange, or you wish to remove it continue to #3.
3. Click (Command+Delete on Mac // Cmd+Shift+Delete on Windows) to remove the song.

* Please note this only edits your Serato library, if the file is still on your computer, it will remain there! *

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Blueseph (:
kc007 10:57 PM - 3 April, 2015
Command+Delete on Mac // Cmd+Shift+Delete but some how they all seem to come back
kc007 11:00 PM - 3 April, 2015
i scan ids and relocate them often from the file menu and delete non actitive ones

i wondering if its because my library is so big
Blueseph 6:47 PM - 4 April, 2015
Quote:
i scan ids and relocate them often from the file menu and delete non actitive ones

i wondering if its because my library is so big

Hello kc007!

With my experiences, I'd recommend you completely uninstall SeratoDJ, then download a fresh copy and re-install it. I know this may seem like a bit of a pain, however with my past experience, this fixes most issues 99% of the time.

I was also wonder, are you running the SeratoDJ Beta version, or are you on the public release? (Current beta version is 1.7.4, I believe) (Current Public Version is 1.7.3)
kc007 11:09 PM - 4 April, 2015
1.72 is the version i am using
WarpNote 11:27 AM - 6 April, 2015
Hi kc007 & Blueseph, am logging a somewhat similar issue with Serato.
To me it seems like a bug. So far, I've seen it in 1.7.2, 1.7.3 and 1.7.4 public beta.
Serato has a real hard time reproducing this issue. I'm now in the process of rebuilding my DatabaseV2 as Serato suggested to me, just need to run my backup first.

Will be tracking this one.
Blueseph 3:05 AM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Hi kc007 & Blueseph, am logging a somewhat similar issue with Serato.
To me it seems like a bug. So far, I've seen it in 1.7.2, 1.7.3 and 1.7.4 public beta.
Serato has a real hard time reproducing this issue. I'm now in the process of rebuilding my DatabaseV2 as Serato suggested to me, just need to run my backup first.

Will be tracking this one.

Greetings WarpNote,

Thanks for the heads up! I have personally never encountered this issue, but file handling can be a tricky thing, and if it were a bug, it would not surprise me. Very interested in seeing where this goes!

Cheers,
Blueseph (:
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:16 PM - 7 April, 2015
Kinda related the original post, I find that CMD + Shift + Del does not work for me all the time. So when I come across said duplicates I use CMD+R to show in finder.
I delete the offending file manually, then back to Serato to delete the track with Shift + Del

I don't know if it's because I use an External HD. Sometimes it works and the files go to trash from within the software, 7 out of 10 times it doesn't !
4mydawgz 4:36 PM - 7 April, 2015
how bout you use the filename filter in serato dj to find out if in fact you do have additional copies that you are unaware of. just like you have album, artist, song, comments, bpm, etc. there is a selection for filename. once you discover the filenames for the songs, you'll find out what your problem is.
DJ Remix Detroit 5:07 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Kinda related the original post, I find that CMD + Shift + Del does not work for me all the time. So when I come across said duplicates I use CMD+R to show in finder.
I delete the offending file manually, then back to Serato to delete the track with Shift + Del

I don't know if it's because I use an External HD. Sometimes it works and the files go to trash from within the software, 7 out of 10 times it doesn't !

this has been an ongoing problem. It started in SSL 2.5 and seems to have made it's way into SDJ as well.

When this happens, I completely shut my computer down and reboot it, It usually takes care of the problem.

I also open the trash can window alongside SSL or SDJ so i can see the file getting dumped into the trash bin. Once the files stop going to the bin, i just reboot again and start where i left off.
Phuture2 9:01 PM - 10 April, 2015
You woul dthink this issue would have been cleared up by now. Since SSL 2.5
WarpNote 6:10 PM - 11 April, 2015
Quote:

Actually, when I do this, I have issues with the deleted file showing up as orange missing in later SDJ sessions. Seems Serato has not been able to reproduce, so would be very interessted to hear if anyone else is able to reproduce. Been kinda annoying the last few months, as clutter keeps piling up in the library database...
kc007 2:47 AM - 23 May, 2019
anyone ever fin a fix for this issue?
Crackpipe 2:45 PM - 23 May, 2019
I have the same problem and I have sometimes up to 4 listing of the same song in SDJP.

My problem is some of part my fault part Serato's fault and the only way I'm going to fix it is to rebuild my library both in Serato and on my harddrive.

It started back on SSL when I had SSL read iTunes library. I had a large library of songs I did NOT WANT to be added to SSL because they weren't songs I'd ever DJ with. The songs were spread out throughout the file system and when I had iTunes read my library it added these songs.

On my part of effing things up, when I subscribe to DJ pools I have a tendency to download songs I already have thinking that I will go back and delete the version that has lower bitrate/poorer quality, but I never do so I end up with multiple copies of the same song.

I know my library got torn up when I moved from my Windows laptop over to my macbook and tried to have Serato find the lost files since the file system is totally different from Windows to OSX.

The only way I'm going to be able to fix this is to spend days going through my hard drive and deleting the junk from my hard drive, then going to serato to rebuild my library. Something I'm not willing to do.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:57 PM - 23 May, 2019
Quote:
I have the same problem and I have sometimes up to 4 listing of the same song in SDJP.

My problem is some of part my fault part Serato's fault and the only way I'm going to fix it is to rebuild my library both in Serato and on my harddrive.

It started back on SSL when I had SSL read iTunes library. I had a large library of songs I did NOT WANT to be added to SSL because they weren't songs I'd ever DJ with. The songs were spread out throughout the file system and when I had iTunes read my library it added these songs.

On my part of effing things up, when I subscribe to DJ pools I have a tendency to download songs I already have thinking that I will go back and delete the version that has lower bitrate/poorer quality, but I never do so I end up with multiple copies of the same song.

I know my library got torn up when I moved from my Windows laptop over to my macbook and tried to have Serato find the lost files since the file system is totally different from Windows to OSX.

The only way I'm going to be able to fix this is to spend days going through my hard drive and deleting the junk from my hard drive, then going to serato to rebuild my library. Something I'm not willing to do.

Same problems. Keep adding the same song or not deleting the older bit rates. As big as my library is it will take forever to do a proper clean up.