DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 61 discontinued... should I be worried?

djcaba 10:36 PM - 31 March, 2015
I just hope warranty etc will still be covered for future years. And I'm guessing the 57mk2 is here to replace the now obsolete rane 61.

Honestly, I'm perfectly fine sticking with the 61 since I use it with an SP1 (and would probably just upgrade to an SP2).

If I do decide to upgrade my mixer, however, I would consider a 62 over the 57mk2. With the rane 62 at around $1650, and the 57mk2 at around $1750, the 62 seems around the right price-point for its features (SSL backwards compatibility and internal effects). The 57mk2 seems to be aimed toward ttm57mk1 nostalgic fanboys (with a serious drawback of only SDJ compatibility, no internal effects, and only 4 cue points per channel). The EQ kill buttons are nice, but really unnecessary when it comes to the flick of the wrist when twisting a knob. And no real dedicated flip controls as far as I know. Nothing really screams at me to buy it over the 62 - except the nice paint job with the skulls and multi-color pads haha.

Just thinking about situations of choosing the 57mk2 over the 62... would be if one owned a Pioneer RMX unit or some other external effector. Moreover, the idea of having 8 cue point buttons (per channel) is viably becoming a standard nowadays (thanks to Pioneer). =X

Well enough of my rant... anyone bummed over the discontinuation of the 61? Resale value should still be the same... hopefully at least a $1000 mixer. Won't be selling anytime soon though... satisfied on this basic 2-channel mixer with Rane build quality
pdidy 10:06 PM - 1 April, 2015
Resale values tend to drop considerably when ever A product is discontinued.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:42 PM - 2 April, 2015
Hey caba,

Your warranty will definitely still be valid and you'll always be able to call up and get support with issues you are having with your 61 or the software its compatible with.

Regarding the 57mk2... Although there are only 4 Cue triggers per side you can still jump to a second group to then trigger the other 4.
Culprit 12:51 AM - 28 April, 2015
they arent going to drop support software wise overnight, and it will always be compatible with whatever is current to date, so its not useless at all. At some point the support will be dropped because the product is always end of life. If I had to guestimate you got a good 2 years to go.

Don't forget that Serato and Rane's support is way above other companies, who usually don't even give an end of life notice and leave you hanging.
DJ Barticus 3:16 AM - 6 May, 2015
historically rane is pretty good about this, they kept parts for my ttm-54i on hand, and did repairs years after the product was discontinued...i bet they would still offer service for it.
djmel 3:51 PM - 17 July, 2015
wow .. and i just got a 61 2 days ago
Culprit 9:45 PM - 18 July, 2015
Quote:
wow .. and i just got a 61 2 days ago

The word on the street is your 100% covered for at least the next 5 years as Rane and Serato are still actively supporting the mixer.

A Serato Representative can clarify for us though software wise just in case that information is not accurate.
Ben Butter 8:57 PM - 25 September, 2016
I have been having weird audio issues with my Sixty One. Vinyl plays fine, but--with mp3s--an EXTREMELY loud and annoying, noise comes through the speakers. Both channels. All the time. Has anyone else experienced this???

(It has happened monthly at a poetry slam that I DJ and, also taking some vinyl with me, I have resorted to playing vinyl and using the headphone jack to play mp3s from the 1 non-USB, virtual, Serato deck. I had been emailing Serato Support about it for several weeks but stopped. I want to get video of it happening at home before I talk to someone at Serato again. Haven't been able to do it yet.
Detroitbootybass 3:16 PM - 26 September, 2016
Are you using Serato DJ or Scratch Live?

And if you are using one of the programs... have you tried replicating the issue with the other?
goldarn 6:20 PM - 26 September, 2016
Quote:
I have been having weird audio issues with my Sixty One. Vinyl plays fine, but--with mp3s--an EXTREMELY loud and annoying, noise comes through the speakers. Both channels. All the time. Has anyone else experienced this???

(It has happened monthly at a poetry slam that I DJ and, also taking some vinyl with me, I have resorted to playing vinyl and using the headphone jack to play mp3s from the 1 non-USB, virtual, Serato deck. I had been emailing Serato Support about it for several weeks but stopped. I want to get video of it happening at home before I talk to someone at Serato again. Haven't been able to do it yet.

A) is it the control tone you hear? - Do you hear audio as well as this loud noise?

B) How is this connected? Are you connecting a line level device into a phono level input? Check the dip switches

C) Do you hear the noise in your headphones?
Mr. Goodkat 2:16 AM - 27 September, 2016
Quote:
B) How is this connected? Are you connecting a line level device into a phono level input? Check the dip switches
Ben Butter 9:32 PM - 6 October, 2016
Thanks for asking. Two Technics SL-1200MK2 turntables plugged into line 1 (set to phono) and line 3 (set to phono). Serato DJ installed on laptop. Sixty-One mixer with channel 1 set to USB 1 and channel 2 set to USB 2. At first, audio would play through speakers. Then, out of nowhere, THIS VERY LOUD AND PAINFULLY ANNOYING SOUND (in speakers, in headphones) and no audio at all. The sound waves in Serato DJ also immediately look berserk (like the crazy noise). If you all have ANY insight, I am all ears!
goldarn 10:34 PM - 6 October, 2016
Does it go bezerk on INT mode?

Check your scope views when this happens.

Have you calibrated your decks in the scope views?

I suspect maybe it is loosing tracking signal

OR

if it is the waveforms that are looking funky on the screen, play that same audio file through itunes - does it have the same bezerk section in it?

Waveform on the screen issues make me think it is a file issue or a computer issue. The mixer would not have any way to alter the waveforms on the screen.
Ben Butter 3:26 AM - 7 October, 2016
Thanks, Goldarn. Yes--if I remember correctly, it also goes berzerk in INT mode. I can play the same files in Windows Media Player 3 seconds later (or in Serato's non-mixer/non-USB mode) and they play just fine. I haven't calibrated my decks in the scope views. When I get everything reconnected this weekend, I'll do that.

After the super loud, annoying noise first occurred in public, I did a ton of internet-searching. Several folks mentioned ground loops. I'm still wondering if this could possibly be the issue. One guy said that all the pieces of DJ equipment must be plugged into the same electrical outlet as the sound system in order to avoid a ground loop. This surprised me because I have been DJing since 1992 and I have never heard anyone say this before...as well as the fact that, often, there is a large distance between a DJ's equipment and a venue's sound system.
goldarn 4:46 PM - 7 October, 2016
Are the files WMA (windows media player) files. I remember in the past they didn't play so well.

Still bezerk in INT mode.... makes me suspicious of the files first and the computer second. Be sure all of the files in Serato are analyzed and the bad / corrupt ones removed.

I'm not sold on the friends reasoning behind ground loops. What I would check though, is make sure your computer is receiving heavy vibrations or overheating. Make sure it is elevated with airflow.
goldarn 4:47 PM - 7 October, 2016
*isn't - not "is" receiving heavy vibrations.
Ben Butter 5:58 AM - 24 October, 2016
I spent this weekend setting up my DJ gear in my apartment for the first time in a while. And I set up a digital camera on a tiny tripod in order to get video footage of my mixer producing bizarre, loud noises. Thankfully, it has worked perfectly fine. (Note: my laptop's hard drive died, so I took it to a repair shop. Since getting it back, I had to reinstall/download all the programs and software I used...Microsoft Office, Serato DJ, the Serato drivers, etc...and have Serato rescan and "find lost files.")

Happy it's working. I'll be spinning my monthly gig later tonight using this Sixty One mixer and laptop. I still haven't let music play for 30+ minutes straight, uninterrupted, through Serato here at home to test it. This would be the real test, in my opinion. However, I have played mp3s off and on for an 1.5 hours.

OK. Bedtime.
Ben Butter 7:00 PM - 25 November, 2016
On October 24, 2016. I DJed at a bar. Connected my Sixty-One to their two Technics SL-1200s. Left turntable/virtual deck played mp3s just fine...but the right virtual deck PLAYED THE MP3S BACKWARDS. Everything was connected properly. ?!?! (I should have tried intentionally reversing the red and white RCAs.) On stage at the bar, I immediately tried looking online with my phone for tips. Saw suggestions to hit Shift Q, W, etc. Nothing helped. When connected to my turntables at home the night before, everything played fine. I am happy my Sixty-One hasn't made the really loud noise I was dealing with months ago. But I am confused and frustrated about a virtual deck playing in reverse. I've searched the forum for this topic. I've seen TONS of posts with Serato users complaining about this issue. Oldest one I've seen is this one below from 2006.

E.g., "jfk 12:57 AM - 30 July, 2006

well well
we are on tour right now.. im backstage at a club and the opening act we got with us (lazaro casanova from miami) uses serato as well. he just set up infront of a packed club and the right TT is runnin backwards. we had this happen 6 days ago and we had to swap out turntables... but how many clubs actually have extra 1200s? now we are backstage waiting for someone to get a 1200 before we have to go on. its cutting it close and the laz's set is totally compromised cause one side only works right in internal. its not the rca cables. its not the needles. its not the serato box or the USB. all those things have been swapped."

So it's not just me experiencing this. It's not my cables, it's not my needles. DJs have been dealing this issue for yeeeearrrrrs. I DO think it might be the bar's turntable. But what aspect of a turntable would cause the Serato virtual deck to play backwards? I will bring my own turntables next week and have them in my car as a back-up.
Mr. Goodkat 7:43 PM - 25 November, 2016
if things are plugged in backwards ala the rca is red - white/white-red they spin backwards, maybe they just plugged in the tts wrong
pdidy 11:22 PM - 25 November, 2016
Quote:
if things are plugged in backwards ala the rca is red - white/white-red they spin backwards, maybe they just plugged in the tts wrong

yea im betting this is all basic user error.
goldarn 11:42 PM - 25 November, 2016
look at your scope views, what do they tell you?
Ben Butter 9:57 PM - 27 January, 2017
On Nov. 28, using same pair of turntables as in October, one virtual deck played mp3s fine and the other virtual deck would not spin/play at all in Abs or Rel modes. (Had to use Int mode for that one.) No scope view for it.
Today, on Jan. 27, using my personal turntables, the virtual decks did nothing when the needles were on the control vinyl and I hit "start." Program 1 set to USB 1 and Program 2 set to USB 2. I tried with 2 different laptops--my personal laptop and my work laptop. I installed Serato DJ 1.9.5 (because I had been using 1.9.3 until now). Again, no scope views unless played in Int mode.

I could use some help. Scheduled to DJ a friend's wedding in March. Looks like I'll have to take this mixer to repair shop. Just mad that my Sixty-One has consistently been unreliable and inconsistent. Wondering if this is why it was available for $800 used online at a Guitar Center in California. (A part of me also wonders if this is why it was quickly taken off the market. I know, I know...Rane says it's because of the TTM-57 mk II.) The TTM-56 was the perfect mixer for me, but it required a Serato box. I discover the Sixty-One. In theory, the perfect mixer for me: a 56 with Serato built-in. But being unable to actually DJ with it because one or both virtual decks won't operate has been HELL. (Before someone suggests that the equipment is not connected properly: I've been DJing since 1992. I've used a lot of equipment since then and have played in different cities. The problem is NOT the equipment connections.)
pdidy 7:39 AM - 28 January, 2017
Quote:
(Before someone suggests that the equipment is not connected properly: I've been DJing since 1992. I've used a lot of equipment since then and have played in different cities. The problem is NOT the equipment connections.)

I have a bunch of dj friends who have been djing much longer than you and they still dont know shit.......sooooo yea. lol
DTweed 2:25 PM - 29 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
(Before someone suggests that the equipment is not connected properly: I've been DJing since 1992. I've used a lot of equipment since then and have played in different cities. The problem is NOT the equipment connections.)

I have a bunch of dj friends who have been djing much longer than you and they still dont know shit.......sooooo yea. lol

It may be the way your cartridge is wired. I have a pair of M-44 that I wired correctly but will play backwards however if I switch the rca cables it will play correct. I would check the wiring on all touch points
DTweed 2:26 PM - 29 January, 2017
*play the record backward
Ben Butter 1:48 AM - 23 October, 2017
Update: thankfully, the times when virtual decks played backwards--and this happened quite a few times in 2017--reversing the RCAs fixed it. Why this happens, I'll never understand. (I've been using the same cartridges since for more than 15 years...sometimes I wonder if they're the culprit...but things will work at home and then not work at a club when I'm using my mixer and needles with their turntables.) Very grateful for these forums for getting feedback.

Like the TTM-56, the design of the Sixty-One is perfect for me and what I do. Hoping Serato doesn't end up releasing a version of Serato DJ that isn't compatible with the Sixty-One!
DJ GaFFle 10:47 AM - 23 October, 2017
Quote:
Update: thankfully, the times when virtual decks played backwards--and this happened quite a few times in 2017--reversing the RCAs fixed it. Why this happens, I'll never understand. (I've been using the same cartridges since for more than 15 years...sometimes I wonder if they're the culprit...but things will work at home and then not work at a club when I'm using my mixer and needles with their turntables.) Very grateful for these forums for getting feedback.

Like the TTM-56, the design of the Sixty-One is perfect for me and what I do. Hoping Serato doesn't end up releasing a version of Serato DJ that isn't compatible with the Sixty-One!

I didn’t read the whole thread but did you try swapping the working deck’s needle to that of the non-working deck? Also, you should have tried putting the non-working deck into ‘internal-mode’. The problem correcting itself in internal would point to a wiring or possibly damaged needle issue.
Ben Butter 4:58 PM - 23 October, 2017
Quote:
I didn’t read the whole thread but did you try swapping the working deck’s needle to that of the non-working deck? Also, you should have tried putting the non-working deck into ‘internal-mode’. The problem correcting itself in internal would point to a wiring or possibly damaged needle issue.

Thanks for the feedback, GaFFle. 99% of the times that tracks played in reverse, Serato deck was set to INT mode. (Only happened once using ABS or REL.) The "play" button for the virtual deck would actually be facing left instead of right in INT mode. INT is supposed to be the safe option when others are functioning properly, so it crushed me when INT wasn't functioning properly. I have tried swapping needles before and the problem continued. Thankfully, switching the turntable's left and right cables around on the back of the mixer fixed the problem.