Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Where is SDJ now 1.7.3 compared to SSL ?

musiclee 4:43 PM - 26 March, 2015
Of course SDJ has more bells and whistles as did SSL, BUT what is SDJ still lacking?

What are your thoughts, experiences with SDJ as compared to SSL?

What are the main issues that Serato should tackle right now as far as SDJ goes?
Should they stop adding bells -n-whistles for a while?

my 2 main suggestions:

make SDJ as rock solid, crash proof as possible (no audio drops)
make SDJ less of a CPU hog.

of course we all like new features, but stability and cpu loads have to be priorities...

thoughts?
pdidy 6:38 PM - 26 March, 2015
Quote:

You're thinking like an older, wiser and more experienced user aka Professional. Unfortunately there are a lot more amateur users who are more vocal and will always request more and more features with no thought to stability. These amateur users are under the illusion that more features will put them on the fast track to making them a superstar DJ.

I think the true professionals are outnumbered by the amateur requests and therefore the amateurs will win.
Mr. Goodkat 10:32 PM - 26 March, 2015
as much as i like sdj, it is a bit ridiculous how much it takes to run it properly, especially since ssl was the exact opposite.

16 mb or ram + 2.5 core i5 (i know thats not all that impressive but ...)and not being able to get anywhere close to 1ms with no other programs running and wifi off seems ridiculous.
Culprit 12:03 AM - 27 March, 2015
its almost there..
musiclee 1:29 AM - 27 March, 2015
Pdidy

I agree

Something must be done to make SDJ less of a CPU hog

Seems like all the bells and whistles , even when not in use, really tax the computer, Because then why was SSL so smooth, silky, and light on our computers?
djcrap 2:37 AM - 27 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You're thinking like an older, wiser and more experienced user aka Professional. Unfortunately there are a lot more amateur users who are more vocal and will always request more and more features with no thought to stability. These amateur users are under the illusion that more features will put them on the fast track to making them a superstar DJ.

I think the true professionals are outnumbered by the amateur requests and therefore the amateurs will win.

Your theory was proved by abondoment of ssl which most professionals still use and are sturbon to switch over to sdj!

End thread.
DJ Remix Detroit 7:21 AM - 27 March, 2015
Quote:
why was SSL so smooth, silky, and light on our computers?

that's the million dollar question that's continuously being asked in the General SDJ section. Serato never seems to want to answer it.
Smoke21 3:34 PM - 27 March, 2015
I agree with all of you... SDJ needs to be a less CPU hog.... we all have macbooks that are with top specs and whether they are 2009 or 2012 and paid good money for it. SSL has never been an issue to anyone, now that its no longer supported then SDJ should be the same .... hopefully serato listens to their software users and make SDJ less CPU hog...
musiclee 4:06 PM - 27 March, 2015
yep, SDJ should run SMOOTHLY on any MacBook Pro built in last 3-4 years, and it doesn't, but SSL did.

guys, just go out and buy yourselves the latest top of the line MBP, problem solved, lol
Mr. Goodkat 5:32 PM - 27 March, 2015
i wonder if anyone can use it at 1ms latency and run pnt and not get any drop outs or flashing lights?
musiclee 5:46 PM - 27 March, 2015
I think the MBP 2.8GHz, turbo boost to 4.0GHz, quad-core i7 with 16GB of RAM for $2.699 MIGHT be able to run SDJ with PnT @ 1ms latency without dropouts or flashing lights.
Mr. Goodkat 6:50 PM - 27 March, 2015
i just want to see it actually happen. surely someone can do it, it just makes me wonder what it takes to pull it off.
deejdave 8:01 PM - 27 March, 2015
Not as much as you think...............

Quote:
i wonder if anyone can use it at 1ms latency and run pnt and not get any drop outs or flashing lights?

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

This is on the least powerful laptop I use 2012 13" 2.9 GHZ DUAL CORE (not Quad) 8 GB RAM 750 GB HDD

Hardware used was Akai AMX running DVS with Tonetable, & Serato Remote

I can actually run at 1ms with ALL of four of my performance laptops as of SDJ 1.7.4 Beta 3. The rest are newer and more powerful than the above laptop but I figured for this inquiry using the least powerful MBP was wisest. This is with ALL expansions on (I did not use Serato Video in the videos as I don't use video with my 13" laptops) running at 1ms with silky smooth waveforms.

I kept the videos short as I uploaded using my phone and any jumpiness/shakiness is from me as you can see by the background. I have the dropout logs of a few 3-4 hour sessions where not one dropout occurred. As a matter of fact since I started using the Beta3 I have had maybe two dropouts total at 1ms.

I won't go much further with my opinions or anything (as I know how fast I will get crucified posting something like this in one of these types of threads) but I figured this was being asked for so why not.....................

As always I am in no way trying to say SDJ is perfect. Nor am I saying my way is the best way.
Lori Jr 11:27 PM - 27 March, 2015
am new to the mac world, use a macbook white end of 2009, core 2 duo, 2:26 ghz, 250 HD, with 8 gb ddr3 1066 ... testing with mountain lion, mavericks and Yosemite always with dj serato, the inciar the 2 first songs, I have dropouts, hate it! SDJ, WHEEL HEAVY, HEAVY GRAPHICS, 5ms buffer!

just decided using a ssd, improved !! but I prefer my SSL, perfect, mac white, old man is running SSL, Yosemite perfect, both with HD or SSD !!
Mr. Goodkat 12:09 AM - 28 March, 2015
Quote:
Not as much as you think...............

Quote:

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

This is on the least powerful laptop I use 2012 13" 2.9 GHZ DUAL CORE (not Quad) 8 GB RAM 750 GB HDD

Hardware used was Akai AMX running DVS with Tonetable, & Serato Remote

I can actually run at 1ms with ALL of four of my performance laptops as of SDJ 1.7.4 Beta 3. The rest are newer and more powerful than the above laptop but I figured for this inquiry using the least powerful MBP was wisest. This is with ALL expansions on (I did not use Serato Video in the videos as I don't use video with my 13" laptops) running at 1ms with silky smooth waveforms.

I kept the videos short as I uploaded using my phone and any jumpiness/shakiness is from me as you can see by the background. I have the dropout logs of a few 3-4 hour sessions where not one dropout occurred. As a matter of fact since I started using the Beta3 I have had maybe two dropouts total at 1ms.

I won't go much further with my opinions or anything (as I know how fast I will get crucified posting something like this in one of these types of threads) but I figured this was being asked for so why not.....................

As always I am in no way trying to say SDJ is perfect. Nor am I saying my way is the best way.

now i wanna upgrade my comp. i think i might be able to get there with a ssd? you think that would make a diff or no? i have the stock 500mb 5400 with only about 100 gb left.
deejdave 12:49 AM - 28 March, 2015
Quote:
now i wanna upgrade my comp. i think i might be able to get there with a ssd? you think that would make a diff or no?

HUGE difference. RAM never did anything real for me. Especially because there is a limit with 32 bit apps anyways. 8GB is even overkill. SSD however directly improves loadup (song time as well as SDJ itself) times as well as overall speed increase.

No need to go crazy but in my experience the defining difference is an I7 MacBook Pro. Nothing crazy (as in nowhere NEAR $2,700 needed) but I did notice the cutoff.
Smoke21 7:21 AM - 28 March, 2015
i recently upgrade my stock HD on My macbook pro to a SSD and load up time is super quick? and i see SDJ not use up CPU but i still think it should not hog up CPU whether your on a HD or SSD. I strongly believe it should be like SSL and yet have new stuff to it.