DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

First Gig on Friday

jgr208 3:59 PM - 24 March, 2015
So I have my first DJ gig on friday at an edm club. I will be the opening DJ, any advice on a first gig in general? Also they would like if I can get 50 people on my guest list and so far have 30, so I am afraid what will happen if I can't get the last 20. Thanks!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:13 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
So I have my first DJ gig on friday at an edm club. I will be the opening DJ, any advice on a first gig in general? Also they would like if I can get 50 people on my guest list and so far have 30, so I am afraid what will happen if I can't get the last 20. Thanks!

Sorry to tell you this but if you cant get that last 20 they will remove you from the lineup and you will be unable to perform. Then youll be placed on suspension for a time no less than 4 weeks no greater than 6 at which point youll be given a 2nd chance but this time youll be required to bring 100 people and dinner for the headliner. Mess this up and youll be bannec from EDM for life. Any attempts, at a Jesus pose could put you in serious legal trouble at that point. So that means its make it or break it time. Your whole career is hinged in this event. All chances at family, life, live. and happiness all hinge on you dping tje promoters job for little to no compensation and then playing a set in front if a crowd of people who dont know better than to skip the opener. They're all gonna laugh at you.

No pressure tho
jgr208 4:21 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry to tell you this but if you cant get that last 20 they will remove you from the lineup and you will be unable to perform. Then youll be placed on suspension for a time no less than 4 weeks no greater than 6 at which point youll be given a 2nd chance but this time youll be required to bring 100 people and dinner for the headliner. Mess this up and youll be bannec from EDM for life. Any attempts, at a Jesus pose could put you in serious legal trouble at that point. So that means its make it or break it time. Your whole career is hinged in this event. All chances at family, life, live. and happiness all hinge on you dping tje promoters job for little to no compensation and then playing a set in front if a crowd of people who dont know better than to skip the opener. They're all gonna laugh at you.

No pressure tho

Ok enough with the sarcasm, I came here to get advice since I don't know what to expect. So I guess this is how they treat new comers around here?
slimmjimm 4:43 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
So I guess this is how they treat new comers around here?

It could get worse. Just wait.
jgr208 4:47 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yup I just opened up myself haha.
Gio Alex 5:10 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

FACTS! This is DJTechtools forum. Sharks in here will eat you alive b.
Gio Alex 5:10 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
FACTS! This is AIN'T DJTechtools forum. Sharks in here will eat you alive b.

Fixed.
Gio Alex 6:00 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Eh, wait it out, there are some very knowledgeable people in here that are usually willing to help. The blow hards got to flex in the virtual mirror first.

LOL

the truth is there are a million threads on this topic though.
DJ Remix Detroit 6:16 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
The blow hards got to flex in the virtual mirror first

lol... thats a good one
DJ Remix Detroit 6:17 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Ok enough with the sarcasm, I came here to get advice since I don't know what to expect. So I guess this is how they treat new comers around here?

have you even been to the venue during normal club nights?
jgr208 6:24 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

have you even been to the venue during normal club nights?

Yes I have, I saw Thomas Gold there and went when a resident DJ was playing.
DJ Remix Detroit 6:28 PM - 24 March, 2015
I'd hit up the opening DJ and inquire. You've got 2 days until show time.

And you don't want to get into a habit of playing at places that require you to bring people.
Gio Alex 6:29 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
And you don't want to get into a habit of playing at places that require you to bring people.

This^

Unless you wanna be a promoter/dj/socialite
jgr208 6:33 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:

I am the opening DJ actually for that night. I know it is mainly to get experience in front of a crowd.
DJ Remix Detroit 6:35 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I am the opening DJ actually for that night. I know it is mainly to get experience in front of a crowd.

I'm talking about the resident opener... talk to that DJ. It'd really be best to spend a few weeks in the booth with that person to watch and take notes... but you only have two days.

Each venue is different...the best thing any new DJ can do is spend lots of time watching and taking notes from the DJ's that are currently playing at the particular venues.
jgr208 6:41 PM - 24 March, 2015
Gotcha, they do have videos online as well as reading reviews and found a set online actually from another DJ that played there so I have been looking at those and the resident was the main resident DJ as in the main act resident. Sorry for not clearing that up.
Gio Alex 6:44 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Just don't try to outshine the main act, but I'm sure you know that. There's an art to opening up. opening sets are pretty fun. Good practice for warming up a crowd.
jgr208 6:47 PM - 24 March, 2015
Well they know I play trance and chose me based off a trance set on sound cloud, so I was thinking start off with deep trance and if crowd like continue, and if they don't get to some progressive but not too banging.
Taipanic 6:51 PM - 24 March, 2015
First, are you getting paid for this gig?

Opening DJ is an important gig and you need to understand how it works. Your job is to play good music that will get people grooving and not leave. It is not your job to play every banger that the headliner will be playing at midnight or doing 3style scratching and theatrics.
Read the crowd, play mostly older tracks that peeps will know, mixed in with some new (non hit) tracks and some obscure classics. Do not try to turn the room up to 11.
Good luck.
Gio Alex 6:52 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Well they know I play trance and chose me based off a trance set on sound cloud, so I was thinking start off with deep trance and if crowd like continue, and if they don't get to some progressive but not too banging.

No doubt, you go it. I haven't listened or gone to a trance party since my raver days in the late 90s lol.. Where are you playing exactly?
jgr208 6:56 PM - 24 March, 2015
in philly, at lit ultra bar.
jgr208 6:57 PM - 24 March, 2015
////////
Quote:
Quote:

No doubt, you go it. I haven't listened or gone to a trance party since my raver days in the late 90s lol.. Where are you playing exactly?

I also see you are from NYC I remember I saw a great trance opener for markus schulz there when mike st jules played the opener.
Gio Alex 6:58 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:

Nice, props to you brother.
Gio Alex 6:58 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
////////
Quote:
Quote:

I also see you are from NYC I remember I saw a great trance opener for markus schulz there when mike st jules played the opener.

Opening acts can be real memorable man. That's the beauty of it.
jgr208 6:58 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks man, only thing that sucks is my wife can't be there for the first one.
 6 7:30 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks man, only thing that sucks is my wife

Can I meet ur wife? Thanks.

nm
jgr208 7:31 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Sure, if you can get to her work.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:36 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

I'll put her to work
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:37 PM - 24 March, 2015
Btw....how many DJs are in this line up?
jgr208 7:37 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

I'll put her to work

She says you're not man enough for her, sorry.
Gio Alex 7:38 PM - 24 March, 2015
It's already derailing. Bout to get the popcorn.
jgr208 7:39 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
It's already derailing. Bout to get the popcorn.

Haha yes it is. I am already popping.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:40 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

I'll put her to work

She says you're not man enough for her, sorry.

So you're saying she thought about it
Dj Shamann 8:56 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Also they would like if I can get 50 people on my guest list

If you can bring 50 people with you to gigs, you should be throwing your own (or negotiating better spots directly with venues) not doing some lazy promoters work for him.

I hope you're getting paid for bringing them that business.
 6 10:45 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Also they would like if I can get 50 people on my guest list

If you can bring 50 people with you to gigs, you should be throwing your own (or negotiating better spots directly with venues) not doing some lazy promoters work for him.

I hope you're getting paid for bringing them that business.

This
dj proper ganda 9:03 AM - 25 March, 2015
Have fun dude. You'll be buzzn for weeks after this I'm sure 😎
Discobee 7:41 PM - 25 March, 2015
I would say: Don't worry if no one is dancing to your music in the beginning of the night. It is your first time and warming up the crowd can be difficult. People are just coming in, getting their booths, drinks, waiting for friends, playing on their phones and most people don't want to be "the first ones" on the dance floor.

Wait for the trio of girls (and there is always that trio at every venue) to start dancing and then kind of start "playing for the ladies". Then little by little, the dancefloor will start warming up with more people. Maybe hit'em will a recently-new-but-not-the-newest known hit song and test'em out with that.

Again, don't get all bummed out if no one is dancing, or if they only dance for 1 song and then leave. That's all part of the learning, reading the crowd, selecting the songs, testing the tracks, warming up the crowd experience that every DJ must go through. Even experienced main/headlining/resident DJs have to do this every single gig.
Discobee 6:22 AM - 29 March, 2015
So......how'd it go?
dj proper ganda 10:03 AM - 29 March, 2015
I'd be keen to hear what its like first time in a club.
jgr208 2:26 AM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
So......how'd it go?

It went well. People said they enjoyed the music and were glad it was different from what they normally hear. But one or two things that perturbed me about the place I played at.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:02 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
So......how'd it go?

It went well. People said they enjoyed the music and were glad it was different from what they normally hear. But one or two things that perturbed me about the place I played at.

such as
jgr208 2:05 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So......how'd it go?

such as

Those are things that I can talk about in private such as a message.
REDi Council Sound 5:44 AM - 1 April, 2015
What are some your inquiring approaches to booking a new venue or setup a possible new residency in your cities?