DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Why I like SSL over SDJ, at the moment.

eugguy 2:36 PM - 24 March, 2015
Reasons, not in any particular order, why I like SSL over SDJ...(not trying to start a debate)

-stability. ok, sdj is stable now too with updates, but still prefer ssl.
-layout. less clutter on the screen. might as well use traktor if you want all that clutter.
-less cpu intensive. not that this really matters with a juiced up MB Pro.
-no sync option.
-album art is bigger.
-recording. the sdj splits files automatically. I make mixes sometimes 2-4 hrs long. I don't want it to be split up.

In all introspection, I will probably end up using SDJ down the road, but I am in no rush. What might push me over the top is when the MP 2015 (which I just ordered) has the ability to work with SDJ.

Maybe others using SSL agree?
RonDu 3:02 PM - 24 March, 2015
Once I cleared up all of my corrupt files I have not had an issue with SSL. I can play for 8+ hours straight without a hiccup AND I'm using a PC. I copped the DDJ-SB and tried the demo SDJ for two weeks and I have/had no complaints about it. I really like it. Not a fan of Intro though and don't think I will be paying for SDJ simply to use it on a controller that is only collecting dust as I probably used it less than 7 times since I've had it. If it worked for the SL1 I would probably be using SDJ.
Detroitbootybass 3:41 PM - 24 March, 2015
I highly prefer SSL over SDJ too.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:49 PM - 24 March, 2015
I like turtles
Gio Alex 3:57 PM - 24 March, 2015
I still hate the user interface, layout and colors on SDJ. It sucks that I have to get used to it. I've tried on many occasions and shit just don't feel right. lol
eugguy 5:44 PM - 24 March, 2015
Actually, I lied. I use SDJ rarely on occasion with the Akai Amx. I like that the crates sync. I use SSL 99% of the time, but when I occasionally use the Amx, I like that all crates are synced up. I honestly would PAY for SSL upgrades over free SDJ upgrades...if they were to continue supporting the software. If it ain't broke, it ain't gonna be fixed...and I guess it's a fact of DJ life.

I also like turtles. The ninja kind especially yo.
DJ Remix Detroit 6:15 PM - 24 March, 2015
I prefer SSL as well.

Bought an AMX and 2 AFX's to give SDJ a run... nothing but problems.

Gonna pick up a 62 this weekend and stick with the trusted old SSL.
Gio Alex 6:18 PM - 24 March, 2015
I know the mods must hate seeing these threads.

In their (serato's) defense I get the switch. However, the little things really take a while to get used to. Even something like my played tracks not being green anymore is a bit anyone. Took me a while to understand the loops in SDJ. Buncha little annoying things.
Mr. Goodkat 6:38 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:

because 4-5 people don't like it? every person using a controller is using sdj, if it was that bad, think of the 1000s of comments that would be here.

it took me a few months to get over the colors and other things that keep people on ssl, but after playing with it a few times recently, sdj is better product over all. havent had any crashes in the betas or 1.6 or 1.7.
dj_soo 6:38 PM - 24 March, 2015
I'm fine with sdj now. Pretty much switched to it full time.

Took getting a new quad core mbp to convince me tho...
Gio Alex 6:42 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

because 4-5 people don't like it? every person using a controller is using sdj, if it was that bad, think of the 1000s of comments that would be here.

it took me a few months to get over the colors and other things that keep people on ssl, but after playing with it a few times recently, sdj is better product over all. havent had any crashes in the betas or 1.6 or 1.7.

Now I agree with most of what you're saying, but it's not 4-5 people. I know a slew of djs that not only solely use TTs, but also only use SSL playing out.
skinnyguy 6:53 PM - 24 March, 2015
plan on getting the denon 4000 so i have to make the switch. but when i did test things out on my 62 with ME, omg. the extra midi out to enable linked fx and filters are so cool. but other than that, i would rather have ssl.
Mr. Goodkat 7:00 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now I agree with most of what you're saying, but it's not 4-5 people. I know a slew of djs that not only solely use TTs, but also only use SSL playing out.

ill assume those are the same guys that gripe about everything. music. djing. mp3s. cdjs. etc.
Gio Alex 7:09 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ill assume those are the same guys that gripe about everything. music. djing. mp3s. cdjs. etc.

Assumptions to the max. Negative. There are a ton of DJs that don't even use this forum, let alone know that there's an SDJ.
Jiglo 7:10 PM - 24 March, 2015
Killer feature in SDJ for me is the Pitch N Time add on. For that reason alone i'm sold on SDJ, but it's still buggy and could be a lot better. I'd probably be using SSL more if not for that.
Gio Alex 7:12 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Killer feature in SDJ for me is the Pitch N Time add on.

I agree, I used it a few weeks ago.
Mr. Goodkat 7:26 PM - 24 March, 2015
i know tons of people still use ssl, im just saying a lot of djs get stuck on something and wont change it. i still think ssl is probably a more completely finished program ie, the majority of bugs have been fixed for most users (although some people are still pissed about certain things ie the gripers), and it sounds maybe 10% better without pitch lock.

nonetheless, nothing new is coming so i switched about 6-8 months ago. i used SDJ at home to get used to it, and it was really more my stubborness(and i couldnt map my x1) than the problem with SDJ.

what i was saying about the complaints for sdj, is that every controller sold since itch was changed to sdj, has had to use sdj. WHile there are complaints, many noob complaints since they could have issues with ssl or sdj since they are just new to the game, there arent enough to justify this as a total disaster.

however some djs are just going to complain and not really put the 10-20-30 hours it takes to really get into the program and learn it and be forced to use it. its like that with many things in life. if you have 2 options and you can practice with one and use the other for gigs, why not do that to prep instead of complain. sdjs feature set is one to learn, as im still getting used to the sp1 and the efx usage(they sound good) or certain ways to integrate flips, slicer, and beatjump (etc) on the new program. so when its finalized, i can be a step ahead. I guess you could keep a laptop to play with ssl to infinity(as long as you dj), but i like to be progressive. I hate conservatism and traditionalism in music, life or politics.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:39 PM - 24 March, 2015
Has SDJ fixed the large library problem yet?
eugguy 8:32 PM - 24 March, 2015
Oh. Forgot to add another plus of SSL...the ability to work together with Ableton...I know some people miss that feature in SDJ. Not really griping however, I know alot of dj's and people for that matter that reject new technology all the time. And new does not always mean better.
 6 10:52 PM - 24 March, 2015
I kinda forced myself to switch to SDJ, however, I waited until it was stable. I kept my 57's until I knew I would be okay using SDJ then bought a 64 and sold both my 57's.

I've never really had major issues SDJ (aka crashes just yet) - which btw, I had plenty with SSL.

As far as how clutter things get, you can always disable the stuff you don't need.

nm
djdannyd 11:55 PM - 24 March, 2015
I use both and love SSL but as we all know SDJ is the future. As long as SDJ doesn't crash, I will continue using it.
eugguy 2:44 AM - 25 March, 2015
Yeah. More and more the thought of switching over to sdj presents itself. I did have two major crashes with ssl, but this was back in 2005-2006. I've long forgiven ssl, as it has given me so many more happy times than not.

Things have gotten way more scientific in terms of how to avoid crashes and such. But shit happens. Vinyl skips, hard drives crash, usb drives break. Stability in software is only one part of a huge equation in a dj's setup.
Dj_KaGeN 3:33 AM - 25 March, 2015
Quote:

solid question. And the #1 reason I will not even consider SDJ.
skinnyguy 3:36 AM - 25 March, 2015
Quote:

I think they tackled that on the last update....or the one before that. I kinda remember one of the devs saying that it will handle libraries that would even make ssl choke.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:49 AM - 25 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

solid question. And the #1 reason I will not even consider SDJ.

DIDN'T I JUST ASK THAT QUESTION?

Sup Kagen! ***Visors Up***

Y'all claimed that it was all good in the hood....like below -

Quote:
I think they tackled that on the last update....or the one before that. I kinda remember one of the devs saying that it will handle libraries that would even make ssl choke.