Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Reset / Disable FX on Load

djianl 3:07 PM - 21 March, 2015
Please could we get the option to reset / disable the active FX when a new track is loaded?

Sometimes when doing very quick mixes I will use the Echo Out effect but occasionally I will load another track and forget to switch it back off, when I cut the next track in it's totally silent until I remember to switch off the Effect :-/
DJ Frank Stallone 2:17 PM - 22 March, 2015
+1
Mike Czech 10:20 PM - 27 March, 2015
+1

Great idea! I hate it when I accidentally leave a subtle effect like Phaser running and mix in the next song. I also requested some sort of flashing button or illuminated button to indicate DJ-FX are active here - serato.com
DJ FANDOS 1:19 AM - 28 March, 2015
+1
Cwite 12:19 PM - 28 March, 2015
+1
Riko Roos 6:37 PM - 28 March, 2015
+1
djianl 9:06 PM - 11 September, 2015
Bump!!

Pllleeeeaaaassssseeeee can we have this, i'm getting fed up of being caught out leaving ComboFadeEcho turned on when I drop my next tune in :-(
Iván 9:48 PM - 11 September, 2015
+1
Mr Wilks 6:45 PM - 13 September, 2015
I'll +1 this too.

A reset on each load would be handy.
thorissr 10:22 PM - 15 September, 2015
+1
acemc 4:34 PM - 17 September, 2015
+1
Sunami 11:22 PM - 12 December, 2015
Bump!

I have the very same issue as OP. It seems a bit counter intuitive from Serato to leave a FX like "Echo Out" engaged when a new song is loaded.

It gets me every single time. I engage echo out, I load a new song, I begin my transition only to realize the FX is still engaged.

Because the hot keys are lit in standby and flash when activated, seeing a lit FX key appears as in standby mode to me. (Keys Should Be Consistent)

Please make the FX button lit while in standby and flash while activated. Also, please reset the FXs to standby mode when a new song loaded.
vjMeely 3:04 AM - 4 October, 2017
pitter patter, pitter patter, pitter patter.... thats all you will ever hear.
I have a theory as to why stuff like this is not addressed. While a lot of DJs use FX features, a greater majority don't. And so there aren't enough requests for these things in terms of a request ratio.

So although it makes perfect sense to make something like this work in a more sensible way, feature additions or changes I think are measured by popularity. So there you have it. Non-innovative users dictate what happens.... nice. Guess it makes some sense because if the software appeals to *most* people, then thats the market.... = $$$

Now I'm confused. lol
acemc 7:43 PM - 7 October, 2017
Quote:
feature additions or changes I think are measured by popularity

Judging by the numbers some of these requests have, I'm not convinced of that.
Serato seem to be ignoring almost all of them!!
vjMeely 1:29 PM - 27 October, 2017
Don't know if you guys that posted here still have a need, but I will have a solution for this shortly. Solution is in testing phase at the moment. Let me know if still interested.....
beta one 5:07 AM - 18 November, 2017
Still interested.. any news on this?
Thx
J
vjMeely 3:25 PM - 18 November, 2017
Yes @Beta One. I have a solution, tested and working just fine. PM me for the details.
acemc 2:29 PM - 26 November, 2017
Im very interested - PM sent!
beta one 7:50 PM - 26 November, 2017
I don't understand. VJ- are you a serato tech? What's the tested solution you speak of?
vjMeely 2:20 AM - 28 November, 2017
@beta one, No I am not a Serato tech. I am a user like the rest of you, frustrated with Serato support. The tested solution involves clever MIDI mapping. Tested with good success on DDJ-SX2 and VCI-380.
tomatoslice 5:46 AM - 1 December, 2017
why can't you just post the details?
vjMeely 8:12 PM - 6 December, 2017
Okay, here is how its done. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. These instructions are for MAC, so you can adapt it to Windows if thats your platform.

The 1st thing to understand is that when Serato says it "supports" a controller, it means that it has baked in all of the mappings for a particular controller into the software's compiled code. (the program)

However, if you create a custom map, Serato will use the custom map only for those commands that you customize with priority over the baked in mapping. So, what we do is exploit this feature with a manually modified mapping of the Load button.

1.) Go into Serato > Setup > Midi dialog and save the current setup for your controller as your backup. Give the file a name that signifies its a backup.

2.) Use Serato MIDI mapping feature to create a custom map of "pressing the load button" for each deck of your controller.

3.) Save the mapping to a new filename. If you are on MAC, the file should be found here: /users/YourLoginName/music/_serato_/MIDI/Xml/{SavedName}.xml.

4.) CLOSE SERATO.

5.) Copy the saved file to another location like the desktop, give it a new name and open it with a text editor such as MAC's built in TextEdit.

6.) Assuming you did the map for both decks in step #2, you will find two SECTIONS in the file which contain a command of
<load_track deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
and
<load_track deck_set="Default" deck_id="1" slot_id="0">

7.) Carefully identify the ENTIRE SECTIONS (there are two) that begin and end with the following commands:
begins with:
<control channel=
and ends with:
</control>

8.) Make a note/copy of the entire "<control channel=" line from both sections.

9.) Replace the ENTIRE SECTION for the 1st section (DECK A) with the following:
<control channel="?" event_type="Note On" control="??">
<case>
<condition>
<touch_effect_modifier deck_set="DJ Effects" deck_id="0" slot_id="1" operator="equal" cmp_value="off"/>
<effect_bank_mode deck_set="DJ Effects" deck_id="0" slot_id="0" operator="equal" cmp_value="Multi Mode"/>
</condition>
<userio event="click">
<load_track deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
<translation action_on="press" behaviour="explicit"/>
</load_track>
<effect_level_1_slot_enable deck_set="DJ Effects" deck_id="0" slot_id="1">
<translation action_on="press" behaviour="static" static_value="off"/>
</effect_level_1_slot_enable>
</userio>
<userio event="output">
<effect_level_1_slot_enable deck_set="DJ Effects" deck_id="0" slot_id="1">
<translation action_on="any">
<alias name="on" value="127"/>
<alias name="off" value="0"/>
</translation>
<load_track_feedback deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
</translation>
</load_track_feedback>
</userio>
</case>
</control>

and for the 2nd section (DECK B) with the following:
===============================
<control channel="?" event_type="Note On" control="??">
<case>
<condition>
<touch_effect_modifier deck_set="DJ Effects" deck_id="1" slot_id="1" operator="equal" cmp_value="off"/>
<effect_bank_mode deck_set="DJ Effects" deck_id="1" slot_id="0" operator="equal" cmp_value="Multi Mode"/>
</condition>
<userio event="click">
<load_track deck_set="Default" deck_id="1" slot_id="0">
<translation action_on="press" behaviour="explicit"/>
</load_track>
<effect_level_1_slot_enable deck_set="DJ Effects" deck_id="1" slot_id="1">
<translation action_on="press" behaviour="static" static_value="off"/>
</userio>
<userio event="output">
<effect_level_1_slot_enable deck_set="DJ Effects" deck_id="1" slot_id="1">
</translation>
<load_track_feedback deck_set="Default" deck_id="1" slot_id="0">
</translation>
</load_track_feedback>
</userio>
</case>
</control>

10.) Replace the question marks (?) (??) with the values you noted in step #8.

11.) Save and copy the file back to its original location, /users/YourLoginName/music/_serato_/MIDI/Xml/{SavedName}.xml, open Serato and load the new file via Serato > Setup > MIDI.

* If it was done right, no error occurs and loading a new track should reset the effect in slot 1 of Serato Fx rack. I keep EchoOut in slot #1.

* The behavior of your controller may be a little different in terms of the load button or FX status illumination when you manually manipulate he Fx on/off/on, but the functionality will remain which should not affect your workflow.

DISCLAIMER: I bear no responsibility for any ill-effect as a result of the fore-going instruction. Use at your own risk.
Jfont 10:02 PM - 16 August, 2018
Great ! Late reply on this post but it helps a lot. I got it working only SX2.
Is there a way to also add this when dropping a song into the deck ?
vjMeely 5:12 AM - 22 September, 2018
What do you mean by 'dropping song into the deck'? Did you mean drag and drop from Finder/File Explorer to Serato deck?
tomatoslice 2:37 PM - 18 October, 2018
yes, i think he means instead of using the "load" button...
just drag and drop from the serato song list or crate.
DJ SYZER 3:43 AM - 26 December, 2018
Very interesting how can you make this work if you use any of the EFX not just slot 1
vjMeely 7:17 PM - 2 March, 2019
Quote:
Great ! Late reply on this post but it helps a lot. I got it working only SX2.
Is there a way to also add this when dropping a song into the deck ?

Likely will not work by dragging and dropping a track since the clearing action is based on a MIDI event.

Working on figuring out why this only works on SX2 and not SX or ZX. ;-)
vjMeely 7:19 PM - 2 March, 2019
Quote:
Very interesting how can you make this work if you use any of the EFX not just slot 1

Sure, I'll come back with specifics later.
gslug 11:13 PM - 12 April, 2019
Meely you are awesome. I haven't gotten it to work on DDJ-SB2 yet, but I'm going to keep trying some edits based on your suggestions as a starting point. I don't know how to code though so let me know if you have any suggestions.
gslug 7:32 AM - 11 May, 2019
vjMeely - this is SO IMPRESSIVE! I finally got it working for SB2! Thank you :)

I just had to figure out what you meant by step 6.) and put deck A and B in the correct order (for me deck_id="0" slot_id="0" came second instead of first) and it worked.

If you ever decide to post the code to make this work with all 3 FX slots instead of just 1, I will be soooooooooooo grateful. (Is it something like effect_level_2_slot_enable ?)
Djkom 5:21 PM - 11 May, 2019
Guys, Rekordbox has an awesome feature which is PAD FX !!!

This feature is so handy and fun, we can use pad to trigger FX with individual beat length and feedback and mode (on/off or hold).
The most useful ones are the RELEASE FX which are automatically disabled when loading another track !

I'm done with Serato FX way, completely cumbersome and not club standard ...
fatdjsin 3:21 AM - 16 May, 2019
i vote for that too
DJ Guarantee 7:16 AM - 2 December, 2019
vjMeely You ARE Freakin Awesome!!! I have it working perfectly on my Mixars Primo!
Skratchgonzo 3:42 PM - 15 March, 2022
Al they had to do was make the effect button flash when the effect was in use and this problem would go away