DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

THIS Is Why Ortofon Scratch OM's (The PANKS) Are The Bizznizz....

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:29 PM - 2 March, 2015
These ain't for errybody....

youtu.be
CMOS 9:34 PM - 2 March, 2015
This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
desmorider 12:19 AM - 3 March, 2015
Johnny,
Did Shure shut that JAWN down Son?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:20 AM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Johnny,

LOL! Maybe, but here's the Dropbox link...

www.dropbox.com
Gio Alex 5:29 AM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Johnny,

www.dropbox.com

My guess is you weren't using the hd cam on that 3k macbook pro right? Why do you always have the nighttime x vaseline filter on your cam?
WarpNote 7:21 AM - 3 March, 2015
Did you try that record with the shure 447 too?
Been using the 447 for the last few years, but just took my ortofons out of retirement...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:32 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Johnny,

www.dropbox.com

My guess is you weren't using the hd cam on that 3k macbook pro right? Why do you always have the nighttime x vaseline filter on your cam?

lol @ nighttime x vaseline filter.....

Man, that's two different cameras too...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:32 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Did you try that record with the shure 447 too?
Been using the 447 for the last few years, but just took my ortofons out of retirement...

I don't have an M477.
WarpNote 12:42 PM - 3 March, 2015
Right, my experience with the 447 is that they actually skip even less than ortofons.
However, I only have blue, black and q-bert ortofons, no panks, all on concorde shells,
while my 447's are on regular tech headshells.

For SDJ/SSL, the q-berts really track well, but they aint cheap...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:02 AM - 4 March, 2015
Quote:
Right, my experience with the 447 is that they actually skip even less than ortofons.

Cool, post up a warpy record and let's see how good they track!
WarpNote 10:46 AM - 4 March, 2015
Sadly, mosty of my records, including warped ones, are in storage these days.
I mostly only have my serato vinyl in my appartment. If/when I get to the storage,
I'll see if I can pull a few.
Joee 12:17 PM - 4 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Cool, post up a warpy record and let's see how good they track!

I've use both IMHO, the "PANK" holds the groove better than the 44-7

i can make the 44-7 skip by being supper aggressive the "PANKS" rarely skips even when i try to make it skip with supper heavy hands
SELECT 8:47 PM - 4 March, 2015
Ortofons chew up your vinyl records, but are definitely less skip resistant because you can add an enormous amount of weight and the stylus is smaller. Ive had the black, silver and now own the qbert Ortofons which are the most skip resistant of the entire Ortofon line. The the stylus cartridge head is angled up unlike all the others. The 44-7s are equal in skip resistance and tracking if the records are good and the table surface isnt wobbly. Who wants to play warped records on shaky tables? Not me! Still I see a ton of youtube DJs where the tables/camera are shaking and for them Ortofons are definitely best. The 44-7 stylus is longer and floats freely up and down, they track wonderfully. I have no problem with skipping however if I go to a gig and the table is wobbling then Im using the Ortonfons.
DJ Remix Detroit 1:40 AM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
my experience with the 447 is that they actually skip even less than ortofons.

that might very well be true, but 447 are hella easy to bend because the stylus is so open and exposed.

panks & blues 4 the win
WarpNote 7:50 AM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
I've use both IMHO, the "PANK" holds the groove better than the 44-7
Yep, as I also said, I never onwned Panks, only regular black, blue and q-bert, all on concorde, no headshell mounts. As the 447 have longer suspension travel, they've hold up well for heavily warped records. For scratching, guess you're right, the q-berts/panks probably hold better on to the grove, as they are less bouncy, and can take a lot of weight.

Quote:
447 are hella easy to bend
Very true!